Quantcast Big KP Writing Contest? - Page 5 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Writing > Contests
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2015, 10:02 PM

Okay, how about we do a poetry and short story contest, but with no rounds and no prompts. Does that sound good?
Old 02-25-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcate781 View Post
Okay, how about we do a poetry and short story contest, but with no rounds and no prompts. Does that sound good?
I think it would be a little nicer if they had a wide, basic prompt to work with, something like "water", to make it seem a bit more organized. I agree with you on the no rounds thing, as that would be a little hard to do.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallowtail View Post
I think it would be a little nicer if they had a wide, basic prompt to work with, something like "water", to make it seem a bit more organized. I agree with you on the no rounds thing, as that would be a little hard to do.
I personally think that maybe no prompts would work a little better... although, as you said, having a general prompt like "water" might make the entries more organized. How about we ask everyone else helping out in the contest what they have to say about the matter?
Old 02-26-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcate781 View Post
I personally think that maybe no prompts would work a little better... although, as you said, having a general prompt like "water" might make the entries more organized. How about we ask everyone else helping out in the contest what they have to say about the matter?
General prompts would definitely make the entries a lot more organized c: We could have more than one prompt so people could have options as well.

Also an observation: I'm a cover maker, and if I enter the short story contest and somehow win, what will I get? XD
Old 02-26-2015, 09:11 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Jesse

I mean I think we could have prompts just for inspiration but since it's such a big contest you should be able to write whatever you want
Old 02-27-2015, 09:28 PM

No, prompts will make it so much easier to judge. You need something that ties them all in. If someone writes an amazing realistic fiction romance story and someone else writes an amazing action/adventure sci fi, how are you going to pick? They're too different. You need them to be at least somewhat similar.

Also, some people find it a lot easier to write with a prompt. It doesn't need to be too complicated. The last monthly writing contest prompt was pretty detailed, but they can be really lenient. I know I entered a contest on Figment recently, and the prompt was just to write something winter-themed and there was an amazing variety of results. Prompts can be really fun! And it's not much of an interesting contest if it's just "write whatever you want and we'll tell you if it's better than someone else's". Prompts make it competitive because you're all basing it on the same thing.

A prompt and a word limit are a must if we want this to work. (Because I don't know about you, but if I'm judging I'm not going to read a 500,000 word story.) Do you guys want me to find some example prompts?
Old 02-27-2015, 09:40 PM

Yeah, I think a general prompt would work.

About the word count limit, I personally don't think it's necessary. There's only about a month to write something new, after all. Most people are too busy to suddenly become dedicated to a 30k novel/etc, especially just for a contest.

Maybe a minimum? So you wouldn't have a 2k story to compare with a 200 word blurb?
finally
free

or is this
just a prettier
cage?
Old 02-27-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieS View Post
Also, what if we stagger them? Like, we could start a short story monthly contest on March 1-April 1, and then start a poetry monthly contest halfway through March-halfway through April so if people want to enter both, they have some time.

If you don't want to do them by email, you could also set up a Google form where you just give them the link and they submit their story. Actually, I think that might be better, because some people might not be comfortable with putting their email with their entry. And then you could send the stories to the judges.
Yeah, it might be best to stagger them a bit. Unless we plan to do this as a monthly thing...? If it all worked out and we wanted to keep doing this contest, I suppose we could keep with the pattern anyways, though. We could just leave the rest of the month (say, the second half of April) free until the beginning of the next month.

Oh, the second part sounds good. Especially when people are concerned about privacy reasons. :c
finally
free

or is this
just a prettier
cage?
Old 02-27-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherrybomb View Post
Yeah, I think a general prompt would work.

About the word count limit, I personally don't think it's necessary. There's only about a month to write something new, after all. Most people are too busy to suddenly become dedicated to a 30k novel/etc, especially just for a contest.

Maybe a minimum? So you wouldn't have a 2k story to compare with a 200 word blurb?
Okay... I just think that also adds to the contestiness of the contest if you have the challenge of a word limit. But I don't really care - I'm just adamant about having a prompt.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherrybomb View Post
Yeah, it might be best to stagger them a bit. Unless we plan to do this as a monthly thing...? If it all worked out and we wanted to keep doing this contest, I suppose we could keep with the pattern anyways, though. We could just leave the rest of the month (say, the second half of April) free until the beginning of the next month.

Oh, the second part sounds good. Especially when people are concerned about privacy reasons. :c
With the staggering thing, though, a new short story contest would begin at the beginning of April. The contests would just overlap.

Tags
i like mangos, my mango was here, say hello to the mango