Quantcast Big KP Writing Contest? - Page 10 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Writing > Contests
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2015, 12:27 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Jesse

Does commentary mean like writing a little review on each entry? Because I'm okay with that.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:29 PM

And yeah I don't think we should have an entry fee
Old 06-21-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherrybomb View Post
Yeah, I think so. :3

A form is actually a good idea--I think it'd make usernames and whatnot easier to keep track of (especially for Meera). //As for the category section--I'm not 100% sure which is the better way to go around it--should we do alternate each monthly contest (e.g this one is Short Story and the next is Poetry) or should there be both categories at the same time, and people can enter one or both. I thought we had this figured out already--but at the same time it's been ages since we started this contest, so it might be better to do the latter. I don't know.//
Yeah, we [Meera] can assign everyone letters and--I think you've already given a pretty good explanation. Meera, what do you think?

Yeah, by this point it might be best to start on the 1st of July. Let's just try to figure everything out before then. As for the judging period--I'm not going to be a judge, so I don't really know how much time you guys need, but Jesse/Swallowtail can discuss that with you.

If the contest is successful and we keep making these monthly contests, how about starting the next contest when the results are out (July 15th) and ending it in August 15th, with the new results out at the end of August?

Yeah, the entry fee is a bit iffy. Especially if people take time to figure out/post the things they want comments/cc on, or like you said, when people sort of disappear from kidpub for a while. Maybe the prizes for comments/cc should be for already-posted posts only? So we don't have to wait it out. Unless that would defeat the purpose of the prize, but I think that depends on the person.

(ay Swallow and Jesse what do you think?)
OH I JUST GOT AN IDEA
I could make a Google Docs form or something and we could link to that in the contest post. Then I could make the entries anonymous and send them out to the judges, who'd give me their results, and I'd tell them who won and everything. I'm probably not going to send the contestants their letters, though, because you never know if someone might leak theirs or something. Instead I'll just keep the contestant letters to myself and handle things like that.
ALSO I NEED JESSE'S AND JILL'S EMAILS (even though I have Jill's facebook already)

EDIT: I WAS BORED AND I MADE A FORM BUT I'M NOT GIVING OUT THE LINK UNTIL THE CONTEST ACTUALLY STARTS

Last edited by meerkat; 06-21-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherrybomb View Post
Yeah, I think so. :3

A form is actually a good idea--I think it'd make usernames and whatnot easier to keep track of (especially for Meera). //As for the category section--I'm not 100% sure which is the better way to go around it--should we do alternate each monthly contest (e.g this one is Short Story and the next is Poetry) or should there be both categories at the same time, and people can enter one or both. I thought we had this figured out already--but at the same time it's been ages since we started this contest, so it might be better to do the latter. I don't know.//
Yeah, we [Meera] can assign everyone letters and--I think you've already given a pretty good explanation. Meera, what do you think?

Yeah, by this point it might be best to start on the 1st of July. Let's just try to figure everything out before then. As for the judging period--I'm not going to be a judge, so I don't really know how much time you guys need, but Jesse/Swallowtail can discuss that with you.

If the contest is successful and we keep making these monthly contests, how about starting the next contest when the results are out (July 15th) and ending it in August 15th, with the new results out at the end of August?

Yeah, the entry fee is a bit iffy. Especially if people take time to figure out/post the things they want comments/cc on, or like you said, when people sort of disappear from kidpub for a while. Maybe the prizes for comments/cc should be for already-posted posts only? So we don't have to wait it out. Unless that would defeat the purpose of the prize, but I think that depends on the person.

(ay Swallow and Jesse what do you think?)
I don't know! I would be willing to, and I think it would be very helpful to give everyone a reason why the points were added on or not added on. I think that maybe two-three weeks would be a good time, especially if there is a lot of entries. Maybe the judges could email each other to make decisions, and then get back to you or Meera with the results. Also, with prizes, we could do a certain amount of CC for each place, like ten for first, five for second, and two for third as well as other prizes, like having someone follow the first place winner's story for as long as it goes while posting useful comments every chapter (or installation if it's poetry), and maybe a character drawing as well? And second place could also get a character drawing and have someone follow their story for five chapter, with useful comments. Third could get something like just a drawing, with no subscriptions to a story. Also, someone could then advertise every winner's current story on their bio for a month, or until the next contest

~Swallowtail
Old 06-21-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
OH I JUST GOT AN IDEA
I could make a Google Docs form or something and we could link to that in the contest post. Then I could make the entries anonymous and send them out to the judges, who'd give me their results, and I'd tell them who won and everything. I'm probably not going to send the contestants their letters, though, because you never know if someone might leak theirs or something. Instead I'll just keep the contestant letters to myself and handle things like that.
ALSO I NEED JESSE'S AND JILL'S EMAILS (even though I have Jill's facebook already)

EDIT: I WAS BORED AND I MADE A FORM BUT I'M NOT GIVING OUT THE LINK UNTIL THE CONTEST ACTUALLY STARTS
This is a good idea :0

Also my email is ciosam7@gmail.com
Old 06-21-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
This is a good idea :0

Also my email is ciosam7@gmail.com
thank you
lol we should probably plan this on email or something once i get jill's bc it would be easier
Old 06-24-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Does commentary mean like writing a little review on each entry? Because I'm okay with that.
Yes Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
OH I JUST GOT AN IDEA

ljillian618@gmail.com
/if we're going to email remember to use reply all or it'll be one giant jumbled mess >_< Ive been there
Old 06-24-2015, 01:20 PM

I've been off KP for so long and I kind of abandoned the contest. I know you guys might not want any more help because you've probably figured the whole contest out, but I was wondering if I could help with anything or if anybody could give me the full update on the competition.
Thanks so much! xxx
Old 06-26-2015, 09:41 PM

Ummmmm *waves hand in everyone's face*
HI WE'RE STILL DOING THIS RIGHT?
Old 06-26-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahChen2009 View Post
Ummmmm *waves hand in everyone's face*
HI WE'RE STILL DOING THIS RIGHT?
YES YES WE ARE
@Cate: Sure! We'd love you to help

Tags