Quantcast Please. I'm begging. Don't read this. No joke. - Page 3 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Outside Life > Randomize
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 07-09-2011, 09:55 PM
WolfWriter WolfWriter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAshWolf View Post
Exactly! And if someone doesn't like our work, I think that it can be turned into a learning experience. Why doesn't this person like the story? Not descriptive enough? Too short? Are the events a little too predictable?

Now, there is one fact we must all face: It is impossible to please everyone. Maybe someone just doesn't enjoy the same genre as you. You have the right to like the genre you like, and so do they. That's what makes us individuals--our likes and dislikes.
Agreed. When I finish editing, and I'm content, I have a hard time not taking everything to heart and changing it all. It would be boring if everyone liked the same stuff and had the same opinion. I love fans but I value haters almost just as much, no matter how heart-breaking it is to see that I didn't meet their standards.
__________________
"Oh! Somebody ought to take society by the four corners of the sheet and toss it all into the air! Everything would be broken, most likely, but at least nobody would have anything, there'd be that much gained!" - Les MisÚrables
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-09-2011, 10:33 PM
Leloo Leloo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: instagram.com/vanamation
Posts: 786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAshWolf View Post
Is it just me, or do you all feel a sort of connection to your characters? I always feel a little hurt when I have to put my characters through a tough situation. And even when the villains die...I almost regret their deaths.

What is it that connects an author to its characters? I feel that it's because we were the ones that created them. We weaved their personalities. We gave them their looks, their feelings, their words.

How do you two feel about this?
Rowan. After I wrote his death scene, I was really disappointed and sad throughout the day. And later on in the story, I really wanted to bring him back; I missed writing about him.

Villains, on the other hand, are a bit different. I usually give them a chance to live, but that's about it. I have a different kind of connection with them.

The strongest connection I've had with characters were the ones from SOG. I created their lives, their world! It was hard to write an ending, and I felt like I was almost abandoning them. Which is exactly why the ending was happy--I'd like to leave them there on that peaceful, lighthearted note.
__________________
"This city dreams under a lightning storm. There's no reason for us to miss the stars."
~Lophii by gravitycure
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Leloo Leloo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: instagram.com/vanamation
Posts: 786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWriter View Post
*pause interview* *whispers* We'll get to characters later :3 Tell you then
*pauses interview* Ooops! I already posted my response to the character thing... XD
__________________
"This city dreams under a lightning storm. There's no reason for us to miss the stars."
~Lophii by gravitycure
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-09-2011, 10:43 PM
Leloo Leloo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: instagram.com/vanamation
Posts: 786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAshWolf View Post
Exactly! And if someone doesn't like our work, I think that it can be turned into a learning experience. Why doesn't this person like the story? Not descriptive enough? Too short? Are the events a little too predictable?
And we can't let that stop us, right? I'm all about learning new things, obtaining knowledge in order to improve my work. That's one of the benefits of having readers--they're not just adoring fans. They're an audience, and your personal editors. We really appreciate their comments and opinions, good and bad.
__________________
"This city dreams under a lightning storm. There's no reason for us to miss the stars."
~Lophii by gravitycure
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-10-2011, 12:56 PM
WolfWriter WolfWriter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leloo View Post
And we can't let that stop us, right? I'm all about learning new things, obtaining knowledge in order to improve my work. That's one of the benefits of having readers--they're not just adoring fans. They're an audience, and your personal editors. We really appreciate their comments and opinions, good and bad.
Some more than others. [Laughs] But I know what you mean. Readers are a huge inspiration for me once I get started, but there's also a lot of pressure because they have this idea in mind of what they think should happen. And we don't want that. It's our book.
__________________
"Oh! Somebody ought to take society by the four corners of the sheet and toss it all into the air! Everything would be broken, most likely, but at least nobody would have anything, there'd be that much gained!" - Les MisÚrables
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Leloo Leloo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: instagram.com/vanamation
Posts: 786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWriter View Post
Some more than others. [Laughs] But I know what you mean. Readers are a huge inspiration for me once I get started, but there's also a lot of pressure because they have this idea in mind of what they think should happen. And we don't want that. It's our book.
It's always a good sign when the readers are making predictions; it lets you know that your story is compelling and thought provoking. Which brings us back to how much we value our readers' opinions; I feel like writing the story is a way to thank them, to show our appreciation.
__________________
"This city dreams under a lightning storm. There's no reason for us to miss the stars."
~Lophii by gravitycure
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-10-2011, 01:32 PM
WolfWriter WolfWriter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leloo View Post
It's always a good sign when the readers are making predictions; it lets you know that your story is compelling and thought provoking. Which brings us back to how much we value our readers' opinions; I feel like writing the story is a way to thank them, to show our appreciation.
Except for when they have the entire thing planned out and when you write it your way, they get upset because maybe that's not what they wanted to happen. Predicting is one thing, because you know theyre getting into it, but writing the next book in their heads? That doesn't make me want to write anymore, personally. But maybe that's just me.
__________________
"Oh! Somebody ought to take society by the four corners of the sheet and toss it all into the air! Everything would be broken, most likely, but at least nobody would have anything, there'd be that much gained!" - Les MisÚrables
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Leloo Leloo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: instagram.com/vanamation
Posts: 786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWriter View Post
Except for when they have the entire thing planned out and when you write it your way, they get upset because maybe that's not what they wanted to happen. Predicting is one thing, because you know theyre getting into it, but writing the next book in their heads? That doesn't make me want to write anymore, personally. But maybe that's just me.
I don't think I've had any readers write the next book in their heads. Not that I've ever gotten around to writing a sequel. I've actually had people advise me to not write a sequel. [laughs] But I guess I see what you mean. That could get kinda annoying, as you have this whole idea planned out in your mind but the readers want something else. So what do you do? Do you stick with your plan, or change it to meet their expectations? If it were me, I'd go with my instincts. Chances are, that's your best shot. The readers will understand. They'll probably end up liking it more than their own idea. And besides; you're the author.
__________________
"This city dreams under a lightning storm. There's no reason for us to miss the stars."
~Lophii by gravitycure
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-11-2011, 03:30 AM
TheAshWolf TheAshWolf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: In the TARDIS, obviously. ^_^
Posts: 8,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWriter View Post
Except for when they have the entire thing planned out and when you write it your way, they get upset because maybe that's not what they wanted to happen. Predicting is one thing, because you know theyre getting into it, but writing the next book in their heads? That doesn't make me want to write anymore, personally. But maybe that's just me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leloo View Post
I don't think I've had any readers write the next book in their heads. Not that I've ever gotten around to writing a sequel. I've actually had people advise me to not write a sequel. [laughs] But I guess I see what you mean. That could get kinda annoying, as you have this whole idea planned out in your mind but the readers want something else. So what do you do? Do you stick with your plan, or change it to meet their expectations? If it were me, I'd go with my instincts. Chances are, that's your best shot. The readers will understand. They'll probably end up liking it more than their own idea. And besides; you're the author.
I have had some of my readers do just that. My earliest followers--the small group of friends I had at my old school--seemed to have one outcome they expected and wanted. When it didn't turn out that way, a few of them seemed almost offended. I was glad that they were really getting into the story...but I didn't change the event they didn't anticipate. Yes, it can be a good thing to tailor the events to your readers' liking...but you are the author. What makes your story yours is how you want it to go.

Even with this in mind...I couldn't help but wonder if I should write beyond that one ending event. If they didn't like the ending...would they even care to read the rest?

It's a tricky subject, I know. But I really do agree with AV. Go with your gut. If you feel you should go on and leave it how you wrote it, then that is what you should do.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-12-2011, 05:33 PM
WolfWriter WolfWriter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 392
Default On Series

Sorry, Allie, I know you don't have a series but you'll still be a great part of this discussion. Alright, now what made you make a series or not make a series?
__________________
"Oh! Somebody ought to take society by the four corners of the sheet and toss it all into the air! Everything would be broken, most likely, but at least nobody would have anything, there'd be that much gained!" - Les MisÚrables
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.