Quantcast GSRM Community - Page 221 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Outside Life > Free advice
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2201  
Old 06-04-2020, 01:11 AM
AlgebraAddict AlgebraAddict is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: tehksus
Posts: 16,918
Default

hey some people will probably be unhappy at me for saying this, but the ever-changing overly-technical labels for hundreds of different gender identities and sexual orientations are not helpful to me and I don't think they are genuinely helpful to anybody... especially if you're, like, twelve.
__________________



and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n
that if you talk enough sense, then you'll lose your mind



- I Found, by Amber Run
Reply With Quote
  #2202  
Old 06-07-2020, 01:23 PM
HannahChen2009 HannahChen2009 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Stalker >:(
Posts: 1,820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgebraAddict View Post
hey some people will probably be unhappy at me for saying this, but the ever-changing overly-technical labels for hundreds of different gender identities and sexual orientations are not helpful to me and I don't think they are genuinely helpful to anybody... especially if you're, like, twelve.
Respectfully, "if ... are not helpful to me" could be dropped, and just phrase it as "I don't think ... are genuinely helpful to everyone"
That being said, I actually agree with the statement.

When I was younger, I tried too hard to find an identity to 'fit' me because most people were queer here and I felt left out. I ended up going for the really specific and obscure and not-far-off-from-cis-and-straight labels too. (Yes, for real. It was really cringey. I wanted to feel 'special', and that was NOT the way to do it.)
I don't think gender or sexual identity works that way. If you force an identity onto yourself just for cool points or because you feel like you HAVE to have an identity, it invalidates the struggles of people who literally didn't choose to be that way. If you felt like you 'choose' that identity, it might not be authentic.

Invalidating the experiences of actual queer people and realizing how that's kinda a shitty move when I was younger made me really hesitant to label myself as bisexual even when it became somewhat clear that I was attracted to girls.

That being said, experimentation with labels is still good, but try to stay true to yourself. There's nothing wrong with being cis and straight.
__________________
And it gets easier,
Even if it never stops being hard.
-Ena, 2017
Reply With Quote
  #2203  
Old 06-21-2020, 12:51 AM
AlgebraAddict AlgebraAddict is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: tehksus
Posts: 16,918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahChen2009 View Post
Respectfully, "if ... are not helpful to me" could be dropped, and just phrase it as "I don't think ... are genuinely helpful to everyone"
That being said, I actually agree with the statement.

When I was younger, I tried too hard to find an identity to 'fit' me because most people were queer here and I felt left out. I ended up going for the really specific and obscure and not-far-off-from-cis-and-straight labels too. (Yes, for real. It was really cringey. I wanted to feel 'special', and that was NOT the way to do it.)
I don't think gender or sexual identity works that way. If you force an identity onto yourself just for cool points or because you feel like you HAVE to have an identity, it invalidates the struggles of people who literally didn't choose to be that way. If you felt like you 'choose' that identity, it might not be authentic.

Invalidating the experiences of actual queer people and realizing how that's kinda a shitty move when I was younger made me really hesitant to label myself as bisexual even when it became somewhat clear that I was attracted to girls.

That being said, experimentation with labels is still good, but try to stay true to yourself. There's nothing wrong with being cis and straight.
How do you feel about the division between romantic and sexual affection/orientation? That was one of the main things that totally switched in my head as I got to understand myself more.

There's an idea that romantic and sexual orientation are totally different things that have little or no correlation to each other, that I definitely bought into wholeheartedly a few years ago. At this point I think those distinctions are almost entirely contrived, but I'm curious to see how your perspective has developed on it.
__________________



and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n
that if you talk enough sense, then you'll lose your mind



- I Found, by Amber Run
Reply With Quote
  #2204  
Old 06-22-2020, 07:15 AM
katchyboo katchyboo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Somewhere in Hogwarts Castle, brewing Polyjuice Potion in my Slytherin robes
Posts: 139
Default

okay so I'm thinking I might be asexual homoromantic, but I get attracted to people because of how they look. is there a word for that?
__________________
Well, I don't know what to put here. I'm a weirdo who likes drawing, listening to Undertale remixes and covers of Vocaloid songs
Reply With Quote
  #2205  
Old 07-08-2020, 11:27 PM
AlgebraAddict AlgebraAddict is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: tehksus
Posts: 16,918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgebraAddict View Post
hey some people will probably be unhappy at me for saying this, but the ever-changing overly-technical labels for hundreds of different gender identities and sexual orientations are not helpful to me and I don't think they are genuinely helpful to anybody... especially if you're, like, twelve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katchyboo View Post
okay so I'm thinking I might be asexual homoromantic, but I get attracted to people because of how they look. is there a word for that?
I'm not going to go off on this right now, but this is exactly what I'm talking about
__________________



and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n
that if you talk enough sense, then you'll lose your mind



- I Found, by Amber Run
Reply With Quote
  #2206  
Old 07-12-2020, 01:00 PM
katchyboo katchyboo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Somewhere in Hogwarts Castle, brewing Polyjuice Potion in my Slytherin robes
Posts: 139
Default

oh, okay-
i mean, labels are helpful to me, but that's just my opinion
__________________
Well, I don't know what to put here. I'm a weirdo who likes drawing, listening to Undertale remixes and covers of Vocaloid songs
Reply With Quote
  #2207  
Old 07-12-2020, 05:47 PM
Lily09 Lily09 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: who knows??
Posts: 17,326
Default

__________________
elliot (they/them or he/him)
Reply With Quote
  #2208  
Old 07-12-2020, 05:50 PM
Lily09 Lily09 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: who knows??
Posts: 17,326
Default

i say this as someone who identified as some changing variation of demihomoromantic bisexual transmasc agenderflux for years (which you can find proof of in this thread) : dividing your identity up like that is not as healthy or helpful as you think it is.
__________________
elliot (they/them or he/him)
Reply With Quote
  #2209  
Old 07-14-2020, 11:53 AM
katchyboo katchyboo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Somewhere in Hogwarts Castle, brewing Polyjuice Potion in my Slytherin robes
Posts: 139
Default

oh, okay- thanks
__________________
Well, I don't know what to put here. I'm a weirdo who likes drawing, listening to Undertale remixes and covers of Vocaloid songs
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
♤of♡s, alaska is a mermaid, am confuse but yolo, asher was here, cutie jasper <3, down with het, elliot is the best ever, elliot will u marry me, fuck trump, genderqueer, girls are yes, gsrm, homo-freaking-flexible, i <3 girls, i am ellio, i have a crush on u, i love elliot more stfu, once in slept w/ santa d:, shit am i gay, shut the fuck up, thanks 4 helping me out, trans & pan pride, u are not ellio im ellio, u go, yo i love everyone

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.