Quantcast hi this is my advice thread - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Outside Life > Free advice
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2016, 11:53 PM

Default hi this is my advice thread

ok so I have been a member for a looong time and I've kinda always wanted to start my own advice thread. so here it is. encouraged topics are, but not limited to,

1. relationships
2. sexuality
3. depression
4. self image
5. healthy eating
6. fashion

I am a self proclaimed expert on all of these, so ask me anything. If what you want to ask is too personal, just email me with the subject line "advice" or something similar so I know what's up. I will get back to you PROBABLY within a day, but it might be longer. idk.

ASK ME ANYTHING.

and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n
that if you talk enough sense, then you'll lose your mind

- I Found, by Amber Run
Old 02-14-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgebraAddict View Post
ok so I have been a member for a looong time and I've kinda always wanted to start my own advice thread. so here it is. encouraged topics are, but not limited to,

1. relationships
2. sexuality
3. depression
4. self image
5. healthy eating
6. fashion

I am a self proclaimed expert on all of these, so ask me anything. If what you want to ask is too personal, just email me with the subject line "advice" or something similar so I know what's up. I will get back to you PROBABLY within a day, but it might be longer. idk.

ASK ME ANYTHING.
this is awesome i hope this thread does great things
Old 02-14-2016, 11:52 PM

when will I stop crying every time someone mentions an eating disorder? my older sister (who I love and look up to deeply) suffered from anorexia for two years and we saw this documentary the other day on body image and they mentioned it and I had to leave the class because I didn't want anyone to see I was crying.

I just-- she was so sick. to me, she looked like she was so close to dying.

my question is this: will i ever not cry when an eating disorder is mentioned and if so, how do i get to that point?
Old 03-06-2016, 09:25 PM

i have a question.

so this is probably super petty compared to deep questions that most people would ask in an advice thread... but what do you do when you are bored?

because i have realized when i am not busy i am swamped with boredom (it's either i am the busiest person ever or i have hours to kill) and i really want to live my life and try new things and be adventurous (while not breaking the bank haha) and i was wondering what you all do! like little things, like bake or interpretive dance or take walks and count all the birds you see. things like that. what do you guys do when you have some free time?

(finding neverland)
Old 03-21-2016, 10:56 PM

heyy so i need some advice

a) so i have this one friend and we've gotten super close this past year. she struggled with some eating disorder issues a couple of years ago and thought she was better, but she's not. i really want to help her but i don't know how (she's confided in me about it, so it's not like it would be an intervention or anything). any ideas?

b) this one is similar - my other friend has been recently showing signs of possibly beginning to have eating issues (just making offhand comments about how "fat" she is, asking about ways to lose weight healthily). i'm really worried about her and want to stop her before she starts, but i don't know how. any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks in advance <3
Old 03-22-2016, 12:01 AM

I will get back to all of you as soon as possible. I've got a lab report due tomorrow so Im kind of panicking but I will get back to yall tomorrow I Promsie.

and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n

- I Found, by Amber Run
Old 03-23-2016, 06:32 AM

(this seems like a great thread esther i hope you succeed)
Old 03-23-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahChen2009 View Post
(this seems like a great thread esther i hope you succeed)
i second!

(finding neverland)
Old 03-26-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by july3girl View Post
when will I stop crying every time someone mentions an eating disorder? my older sister (who I love and look up to deeply) suffered from anorexia for two years and we saw this documentary the other day on body image and they mentioned it and I had to leave the class because I didn't want anyone to see I was crying.

I just-- she was so sick. to me, she looked like she was so close to dying.

my question is this: will i ever not cry when an eating disorder is mentioned and if so, how do i get to that point?
I know how eating disorders affect people, and it really, really sucks. Honestly, it just takes time. Remind yourself that your sister is safe now and your family is safe now and everything is going to be okay, but I understand that it's not going to just go away in a snap. It's going to take time, and in the meantime avoid triggers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
i have a question.

so this is probably super petty compared to deep questions that most people would ask in an advice thread... but what do you do when you are bored?

because i have realized when i am not busy i am swamped with boredom (it's either i am the busiest person ever or i have hours to kill) and i really want to live my life and try new things and be adventurous (while not breaking the bank haha) and i was wondering what you all do! like little things, like bake or interpretive dance or take walks and count all the birds you see. things like that. what do you guys do when you have some free time?
Crochet is awesome, btw. and movies. I realize that it seems super messed up to just spend your boredom watching tv but there are some awesome sitcoms out there worth your time /coughhowimetyourmothercough/ so that's cool. music also. Even if you don't play or sing anything, pick something up. Learn ukelele. Listen to more music. Start a journal. Make smoothies at home. Get a job. Go shopping. Start playing cooperative board games (pandemic, ghost stories, shadows over camelot, forbidden desert). Take a class. Be a needy friend and go spend time with your homies.

you will find ways to keep yourself occupied. it just takes time and motivation. Do things in short bursts so you don't get bored.

oh, and write. books and poetry and stuff. make up charries. make up drama with charries.

life is awesome. live it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabes View Post
heyy so i need some advice

a) so i have this one friend and we've gotten super close this past year. she struggled with some eating disorder issues a couple of years ago and thought she was better, but she's not. i really want to help her but i don't know how (she's confided in me about it, so it's not like it would be an intervention or anything). any ideas?

b) this one is similar - my other friend has been recently showing signs of possibly beginning to have eating issues (just making offhand comments about how "fat" she is, asking about ways to lose weight healthily). i'm really worried about her and want to stop her before she starts, but i don't know how. any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks in advance <3

Okay so eating disorders are one of those things where it's realllyyy hard for friends to make everything better. Shoving food down their throats and insisting they're not fat and saying "well I'm more fat" that's not helpful. But there are some things you can do.

Share food. Kindly. Compassionately. Respectfully. Offer to make them a smoothie (yes I like smoothies a lot. I'm sorry). Give them a granola bar if they look hungry.

Give them compliments. Not just "heyy you're skinny af sistah", but things like "I really like your laugh" or "your eyes are sparkly today" or "You make me super happy omg". Give them some confidence boosters.

Don't ignore them. Spend time with them, and even if you don't know what to say around them, do it anyway. Watch a scary movie. Look up jokes on the internet. Play board games. Make smoothies xD Just spending time with them and making them feel needed can be helpful.

and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n

- I Found, by Amber Run
Old 05-21-2016, 12:23 PM

Okay, um, I'm not really sure how to word this, but you're the only person I can think of that could possibly offer any legit advice in this situation.
So, yesterday I was at my mom's work, which is this teeny little shop, and the owner had just hired two new girls to pick up the slack, and I recognize one of them from school. I think she might be graduated, actually, but only last year. She's the sweetest thing, super friendly, and apparently good work ethic. And I just...she had this pretty drawing on her arm, of flowers, and I was staring at it while she wasn't paying attention because I was curious about what medium it was, and then I saw her arm. I mean, she had cuts on her arm, under the flowers. They weren't scars yet, they were thin and faded red. I'm rambling a bit, sorry, but I wanted to ask you what the best course of action would be, because you seem to know from experience and I guess I should know a bit too, but I don't and i'm worried about her. I don't want someone who's as nice and as bright as she is to be in enough pain that she does that, in fact I don't want anyone to feel that they have to cut, period. But I don't know what to do and I would like some advice if you have any.
Also, I have the option of telling my mom, since she works with the girl. On one hand I feel like that might violate the girl's privacy in a way, on the other hand I know that my mom will at least talk to her about it and make sure she's...well, not okay, persay, but not severly depressed either.

This was kind of rambly, i'm sorry.
Down and out and missing home

(So beat a little louder now
I can't hear you anymore)
-Barns Courntey