Quantcast The Long Road Fan Club - Page 11 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Books and Such > Book Clubs
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2012, 10:45 PM

Hmmm... Nah, I don't have any guesses on Darkfollower's name... You said simple and soft? I dunno, Gwen? That's soft-ish. And simple. X^P

I have a quote! I'll find some more, but I needed a place to save this one in case you wanted to consider using it. :3

SIG QUOTE IDEA #1: (from the prologue)

"The creatures of Half-tree Forest lived in fear, and for a good reason... but in that dark time, there was yet a glimmer of hope."
~The Long Road

Oh! Random-ish: I got the first Lord of the Rings from the library today, so I'm gonna watch it soon! *squee!* ^_^
Old 01-24-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leloo View Post
Hmmm... Nah, I don't have any guesses on Darkfollower's name... You said simple and soft? I dunno, Gwen? That's soft-ish. And simple. X^P

I have a quote! I'll find some more, but I needed a place to save this one in case you wanted to consider using it. :3

SIG QUOTE IDEA #1: (from the prologue)

"The creatures of Half-tree Forest lived in fear, and for a good reason... but in that dark time, there was yet a glimmer of hope."
~The Long Road

Oh! Random-ish: I got the first Lord of the Rings from the library today, so I'm gonna watch it soon! *squee!* ^_^
Ooh! Good guess!! Really close..... I think that I'll use that name....

That's a great quote! WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT?!?! *facepalm*

OH MY GOODNESS YOU'LL LOVE LORD OF THE RINGS!! Tis soooo epic..... Ash says that she likes TLR better though.... O_O Sam's my favorite. :3
Old 01-24-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
Ooh! Good guess!! Really close..... I think that I'll use that name....

That's a great quote! WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT?!?! *facepalm*

OH MY GOODNESS YOU'LL LOVE LORD OF THE RINGS!! Tis soooo epic..... Ash says that she likes TLR better though.... O_O Sam's my favorite. :3
GLEN. Her name is Glen.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAshWolf View Post
GLEN. Her name is Glen.
Also, no..... but I SERIOUSLY love that name!!

Okay, hint.... starts with a 'J'.....

Yes, 'J' is nothing like 'G', but the first part of her name and of 'Gwen' are kinda slightly maybe similar.....
Old 01-24-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Okay, hint.... starts with a 'J'.....

Yes, 'J' is nothing like 'G', but the first part of her name and of 'Gwen' are kinda slightly maybe similar.....
Is it Jwen? Nah, kidding. Is it close to Jen? 8D
Old 01-24-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leloo View Post
Is it Jwen? Nah, kidding. Is it close to Jen? 8D
Nooo...... Another hint: it has seven letters. ^.^
Old 01-24-2012, 07:04 PM

Default HELPPP!!!! Please....

Hey guys? This is REALLY important. What specific age group is TLR best for, and should I publish with KP or a regular publisher? HELP!!! D:
Old 01-24-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Hey guys? This is REALLY important. What specific age group is TLR best for, and should I publish with KP or a regular publisher? HELP!!! D:
Hmmm...I'd say 12 to 16-ish.

Depends on what you want to do. With KP, you'll be helping out the site, and get your book published quickly. With a regular publisher, you might get rejected a few times purely because the company you've chosen is looking for a different kind of story. BUT, it will ultimately get your book out farther into the world. through book stores and such. And you might make money faster.

-_- I still can't decide how I should publish...so you're not alone.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAshWolf View Post
Hmmm...I'd say 12 to 16-ish.

Depends on what you want to do. With KP, you'll be helping out the site, and get your book published quickly. With a regular publisher, you might get rejected a few times purely because the company you've chosen is looking for a different kind of story. BUT, it will ultimately get your book out farther into the world. through book stores and such. And you might make money faster.

-_- I still can't decide how I should publish...so you're not alone.
Yeah... I was thinking around that age group too.

Argh! Both true! -_- No idea what I want to do...... I'll probably go for 'big' publishers first. KP will always be here, and if I self-publish, I won't be able to publish with a regular publisher if I want to later.

I went to the library the other day, went to the 'N' section, and found the place where TLR would be if/when I publish it. It gives me such a drive to write and FINISH!!!!

Now I need to figure out a marketing plan..... website maybe? If my parents let me..... :P
Old 01-26-2012, 05:40 PM

What Ash said: 12--16 year olds. Anthropomorphic fantasies aren't just for little kids. Think about all the teens/adults that love Disney movies with talking animals...

Prepare for an insanely long publishing guide, written by yours truly.

Mainstream VS KidPub

I think you should try a mainstream publisher. You might have to get an agent, though, because most places don't accept unsolicited manuscripts (authors that send in material without agents to back them up). You don't have to pay an agent, but they get royalty money when your book sells (usually around 15%, like KidPub does, but you have to pay KidPub an advance fee of around $200--I think--, something you don't have to do with agents OR publishers).

KidPub does include a great publishing package and is helpful with advertising, but you earn little money through it. Sometimes you have to buy your books yourself, then take them to a book signing or ask a library/local bookstore to add them to their shelves to get recognized. On the upside, young authors catch the attention of the local media, who can help with advertising.

Literary Agents Are Your Friends

If you are accepted by an agency, they will guide you through the process of finding the perfect publisher; they also give you an advantage of getting your book recognized. I've heard that agents are SUPER helpful and are totally worth having in the end; you'd be happy you got them.

The Slush Pile

If you go straight to a publisher, you might hit some bumps in the road. First off, unsolicited manuscripts are automatically sent to a hellish place called the Slush Pile. Very few of manuscripts in the Slush Pile get touched by editors. But super lucky ones are fished out and have a chance of being published.

Lucky Break

If your manuscript is looked at by an editor and you sent it on your own, you've basically been given a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to shine. They rest of the process goes from there: If they like it, they contact you, you work together to edit and revise the manuscript, then publishing ensues.

Where To Find Agents and Publishers

You can find a list of publishers in books like The Children's Writer's and Illustrator's Market (I have this one at home ^_^). I'm pretty sure they come out with updated versions each year. They list contact information, manuscript guidelines, and whether or not they accept unsolicited manuscripts. And don't forget the internet.

Self-Publishing

Then there's self-publishing, which comes with both pros and cons.

Pros: It's easy, it's cheap, and you don't have to be accepted; anyone can do it if they have the money.

Cons: Anyone can do it if they have the money (Personally, I don't see where the accomplished feeling for the author plays in), vanity publishers can scam you if you're not careful, and the audience range isn't large unless your book becomes popular.

Going Both Ways

On the upside, there's always the chance that your self-published book will become a bestseller and catch the eye of a publisher, who will then buy the rights to your book and set you on the road to mainstream publishing (Christopher Paolini, anyone?). If you want to self-publish, your best choice is probably publishing as an e-book, since people are constantly browsing e-books on their Kindles and Nooks; e-books are cheap and download almost instantly. It's easy for someone to come across your book, decide that they want to try it, buy it, download it, read it, love it, review it, and send the word on to others.

It's always your choice, though. You could go both ways: publish as an e-book, wait until you get some popularity with your book, then share it with an agent and explain to them how successful you've been so far.

I hope this was at least a little helpful.

Last edited by Leloo; 01-26-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Tags
adventure, awesomeness, fan club, flaming mangoes, future bestseller, klinyana, loveloveloveit!, lyall_areyel_was_here, omigosh sooo awesome, pochar, series, spazzbecausebookisepikal, story on kidpub, the long road, this book is on fire!, wolfiepoos, wolves