Quantcast Studying tips? - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Outside Life > School
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2014, 05:51 PM

Default Studying tips?

I dunno, guys, I've never really had to study before. I'm kind of a fly-through student, but I have huge exams coming up and I'm actually really worried about them so please help. How does one study? What techniques would you use to do so? Do you just go through your notes or old assignments, or do hugeass review packets all the way through, or make little flash cards with formulas or facts and have people quiz you?
Also do you have good study snacks?

((death, white lies))
Old 12-14-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena View Post
I dunno, guys, I've never really had to study before. I'm kind of a fly-through student, but I have huge exams coming up and I'm actually really worried about them so please help. How does one study? What techniques would you use to do so? Do you just go through your notes or old assignments, or do hugeass review packets all the way through, or make little flash cards with formulas or facts and have people quiz you?
Also do you have good study snacks?
snacks i eat apples a lot they taste good

also studying idk i'm different for each subject
for math i make a study guide sometimes and go back and work through difficult problems and make sure i can still do them and write down formulas a couple times to help me remember them
umm english like repetition writing things down a lot to burn it into your memory and going back through notes idk i don't know how to correctly study for english just make sure you know the concepts
science read the notes a lot and try to explain the topics to yourself/other people, possibly make flash cards a study guide?? idk
history or social stuides or whatever i'm not sure if you have that i don't have it anymore but i would usually read through notes and make flashcards of important dates and info and stuff
uhh world language also don't know if you have this or what but i write vocab down twice in the language and once in english and that helps me remember that and then study notes for rules and stuff

yeah so i guess overall i read through the notes a lot. that's probably not very helpful. sorry.
good luck on your examsss babe <3 hopefully someone here gives you better advice oops sorrysorry :/
But I'm afraid
It's too late to apologize
Old 12-14-2014, 08:22 PM

when i was studying for my physics final over the summer, i had about 10 pages in my notebook (handwritten) summarizing every main concept like i was writing a textbook. that really helped me. also before finals at my school we have this thing called reading day where it's an optional day at school with no schedule where you can meet with teachers and study with friends and stuff and what helped me then was making a schedule like "9:00-9:45 statistics through logarithms, 9:45-10:30 words 1-50 chinese" etc. etc.
also get an app for your computer like self control (mac) that blocks distracting websites so you can work without procrastination.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:43 PM

okay thanks guys i'll try your suggestions
ee i have history and algebra tomorrow

((death, white lies))
Old 12-14-2014, 09:07 PM

*whispers* good luuuuuck

but mostly, writing a stuff down helps me commit that stuff to memory (at least for a little while. not for like, a month. but a few days at least). so if you feel like going through the material and rewriting the most important stuff, then it will probably help. and looking over your old test scores and things that you missed on assignments throughout the semester can help you see what you need to work on (if you can do that kind of thing. idk. it's easy for me because all of my tests are online, but even written stuff was always handed back to me so maybe just look over those)
Old 12-15-2014, 01:03 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to venika

for math, when i don't decide to wing it, i sometimes prepare notes with an example of each type of question. i do it in all these pretty colors bc i'm very much a visual learner so that helps.

hmm yeah that's another thing find out what your learning style is (some people use the general visual/auditory/kinesthetic and then there's another test that gives you something like logical-mathematical/linguistic/musical/naturalistic/interpersonal/intrapersonal/visual-spatial) and then study accordingly...

for example i've tried making like recordings of me saying subject matter out loud and then playing it over and over again... that didn't help me much but it might work for any auditory/musical learners out there..

for visual learners, try diagrams and mindmaps. also colors. colors are really helpful. for example when i had to memorize like a 350-word essay thing (more like paragraphs lol idk) for a french test, i basically organized my writing into connectives/time markers/future tense/past tense/present tense/reflexive verbs/comparisons and assigned a color to each thing. then i rewrote my essay only using colors. that helped me remember it...

if you're a visual learner and you want to remember your notes, highlight your information with different colors based on the subject or topic or type or whatever and then try to picture your sheet while taking the test... that helps me remember stuff as well...

idk much abt kinesthetic learning but yeah... the above is based on my own experiences soooo

basically it helps to do things based on your learning style XD

oh yeah also getting someone to quiz you helps. or at least it does for me. i usually write down key points and then ask people to get me to explain things. this works well for definitions as well.

making sticky notes with random facts from the subjects you have that day and placing them in random places (Eg: your locker, your bag, your planner/binder if you use one, your pencil case) helps as well... though obviously they shouldn't be with you in the test itself bc that would count as cheating, i'd imagine XD XD

Last edited by venika; 12-15-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:10 PM

Good luck

Take things one period and class at a time. I know in my school we split things up--- we have the odd period exams the first day (so that we get two class periods to finish instead of just one) and then evens the next day. What I did is I first just focused on the odd classes and picked out what classes I needed to study for the most. For me, that was mainly just Chemistry. I actually just kinda 'wing-ed it' (excuse the improper grammar) for English, Art (yes, an art exam) and French (which I never study for and always get 100 percents on so it didn't make sense to study for my best class.)

Just focus on the classes that you need to study for the most. And if you get two class periods and you finish early (which you most likely will) then take that time to study for your next exam. Just take it class by class, day by day.

And don't stress out too much, okay? I was worried about exams too and quite honestly out of the six exams I took I really only studied a lot for two of them-- Chem and History. And when I took my exams, all of them were really easy! I actually know my grades for two of them--- Art I got a 100% (didn't study!) and English I only missed one question (didn't study for that either!) I can assure you that your exams are going to be a lot easier than you think they will, and it's not worth stressing out that much over. (Besides, some teachers are nice and don't count them in your grade!)

No more dreaming like a girl, like a girl so in love...with the wrong world.

Snow White's stitching up the circuitboard...

inside of me.

-quote on dA
Old 12-27-2014, 07:11 PM

Quizlet is super helpful! You can enter terms (I just take all my notes using this so that it's not just vocab but also concepts) and then play games with them on either the website or app (for your phone or iPad or whatever, very VERY convenient/helpful) and you can also print the stuff out as a glossary or even as note cards and gosh it's just extremely helpful I highly, highly recommend using it.

http://quizlet.com/

i post what my nipples want (leaving this here to show just how long it's been since I got on, holy crap.)
Old 12-27-2014, 07:14 PM

Btw do NOT stress out! Finals are not at all as bad as they might seem! I was a freshman taking my very first final/mid terms ever and I was terrified. I probably cried 10 different times leading up to finals week but it was not bad at all. Final exams are usually written easier than your normal tests bc you're expected to know the entire semester. So as long as you're prepared you'll do just fine.

Also, you can check out Roger Hub to see what grade you need on your final!

i post what my nipples want (leaving this here to show just how long it's been since I got on, holy crap.)
Old 12-27-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeptemberLove View Post
Quizlet is super helpful! You can enter terms (I just take all my notes using this so that it's not just vocab but also concepts) and then play games with them on either the website or app (for your phone or iPad or whatever, very VERY convenient/helpful) and you can also print the stuff out as a glossary or even as note cards and gosh it's just extremely helpful I highly, highly recommend using it.

http://quizlet.com/
Quizlet is amazing and has saved my life on more than one occasion. The scatter game is by far the most helpful. Also if you're doing a foreign language it can pronounce the words for you and that helped me so much with French.

Tags
mr. potato will get you