Quantcast The KP Games Spin-Off - Page 6 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Writing > Never Ending Stories
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2016, 09:04 PM

Amelia grunted as she stumbled back, falling into a sack of potatoes from the local farmer. She cursed, getting back up and dusting her feeble clothes off. She stood on her toes, trying to see why the man had pushed her backwards.
And there it was--Sam Winslow, running down the street. Amelia's eyes widened and she didn't bother grabbing her wheelbarrow as she jogged along with the rest of the mezmerized crowd.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:10 PM

Stel smiled. Smiled at the pickaxe sprouting from that overseers chest, a look of surprised forever tattooed on his face. She smiled when she saw other slaves look up from where they lay on the ground, their faces in awe. She was doing this for them.

Those rebels were taking their sweet-ass time saving them, and she'd find them. She'd find them and if she had to do it at knife point she'd make them free the slaves. The slaves who'd secretly treated her back when the whip came down hard, the ones who had helped her slip that pickaxe under her body so that she could use it as a weapon, the ones who had seen her and not whispered a word. They could be killed for that, and for that she thanked them, for that she promised she would come back.

Stel snuck around the edges of the camp, embedding her pickaxe into the occasional guard or overseer. She went out of her way to make a certain overseer's death painful, the overseer who had used her in ways she'd perhaps never want to remember, never wanted to relive. His death had been a turning point for her because no longer was she that little girl, fresh from the streets, that was helpless and innocent and naive. She was a woman now, and a strong one at that.

She wasn't a fighter. By the time she had snuck out of the camp, she was covered in the proof that she was out of practice, courtesy of the men who no longer lived. She would never regret what she did, for as long as she lived. But her pride wasn't too big that she couldn't admit she needed help. And so she stumbled through the woods, barely able to carry the bloodied pickaxe until she saw the light of a mountain village. She stumbled to the closest house, and before she could knock on the door, she passed out from the pain, slumping on the front door.

it takes and it takes and it takes
-leslie odom jr and lin manuel miranda, "wait for it," hamilton
Old 03-08-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostBittenKitten View Post
"Oh," Olivia said, slightly more sympathetic. Then she realized he might be drunk or something. "Why would I have liquor?" she demanded. Her father wasn't an alcoholic, he knew they couldn't afford that. Still, she had seen an empty bottle lying around one day. She didn't even know if she could trust him. Olivia kept her grip firm so that Sam couldn't pull anything on her. "My dad's always wanted me to be just like you," she spat, for some reason. She assumed it was her cooped up anger and frustration.
Sam turned around and got extremely close to Olivia. "You don't want to be like me," Sam said in a hushed tone.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:35 PM

Stel opened her eyes. It was still dark out and thank every god for that. She'd only been passed out for a minute or so. From the pain.

She was in so much freaking pain. There was a cut on her side that was probably growing infected, another one along her thigh that was much deeper than she had thought that stung like Hell. There was no more adrenaline pulling her away from the mines, only pain that stopped her from moving another inch. There was so much freaking pain.

Slowly, painfully, she raised her fist to the door she was leaning against and knocked.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurboulos View Post
Sam turned around and got extremely close to Olivia. "You don't want to be like me," Sam said in a hushed tone.
Olivia's eyes widened at this, not so much what he said but how close he was and how he whispered it. She was at a loss for words. Finally, after a stretch of silence, she spoke up. "What do you want anyway?" she asked.

will i ever be more than i've always been

tap, tap, tapping on the glass

Waving through a window
Old 03-09-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostBittenKitten View Post
Olivia's eyes widened at this, not so much what he said but how close he was and how he whispered it. She was at a loss for words. Finally, after a stretch of silence, she spoke up. "What do you want anyway?" she asked.
"Do you like your life here?" Sam asked her.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:32 PM

After a minute, Stel felt the door move behind her and she shifted just a touch so that she wouldn't fall on her back when whoever lived here opened the door. The door opened and she saw an elderly woman with hair as white and shiny as the moon and eyes as blue as the sky it rested in. She wore simple peasant's clothes, but she was still obviously gorgeous, even in her age. Her face was not delicate, and instead had a stern, brave beauty, like a queen. That was a good word to describe her -- a queen.
The woman obviously recognized Stel's slave's clothes and she quickly picked her up with surprising strength. Stel groaned as she was carried into the woman's house and up a flight of stairs, into a bedroom where several candles burned, giving the only light. The woman scurried back to the front door to lock it and then came back up to the room. She stuck out a wrinkled, calloused yet graceful hand. "I'm Leana," She said simply.

Stel was couldn't hide her surprise. This woman acted like runaway slaves always showed up on her front door in the middle of the night. "Stel," she said finally trying and failing to clasp the woman's hand in her own. She hissed at the pain and the woman scanned her body.

"Oh, dear," Leana said, her brows crinkling. "I'll just get you something for that." The woman left the room like an ocean breeze. Stel slumped against the bed and sighed contently. She hadn't been in a bed in years and it felt like a cloud spun with silk. She closed her eyes. She was, for the time being, safe. Or at least, safer. And at the moment, that was enough for her.

it takes and it takes and it takes
-leslie odom jr and lin manuel miranda, "wait for it," hamilton
Old 03-10-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurboulos View Post
"Do you like your life here?" Sam asked her.
"What?" asked Olivia, confused. "I guess. It's better than being in the Games..."

will i ever be more than i've always been

tap, tap, tapping on the glass

Waving through a window
Old 03-10-2016, 05:54 PM

A couple hours later Stel woke up. Her body hurt like Hell and she groaned as she sat herself up. Leana had bandaged her up pretty good and hadn't asked a single question, although Stel guessed that her silence would soon end.

She took a moment in to just be in that comfortable, darling bed. To just be. The room was dark, and she could see through the window that the moon was setting. Dawn was breaking, and she'd have to leave. But she owed someone an apology, gratitude, and an explanation.

Standing up brought searing pain to every inch of her body and she slowly limped to a small table, where she lit a candle, before walking crookedly to the door of the room. She guessed that the woman had slept in a chair, as a certain runaway slave had taken her bed. Stel ignored her guilt and gritted her teeth as she stumbled down the hall, down the stairs and into a tiny living area, with only a small wooden stool and a larger, beat up armchair with patchwork cushions. Leana sat at the larger chair, sewing up a whole in a shirt.

The woman looked up from her work and frowned. "You need to be getting your rest, Stel." She folded her sewing materials into a cloth and set it gently on the floor. "You should go back to sleep."

Stel sighed, still standing awkwardly on one leg in the doorway. "They're going to look for me," she whispered. "I need to leave."

Leana clucked her tongue before nodding. "I suppose so. Here, take the chair." Leana switched seats and sat on the wooden stool, looking expectantly at Stel to do as she was asked. She obliged and settled into the chair. "What can I do to help you?"

Tags
#bringbackalice, #oldiesrule, hazel will do this later, i ship it like fed-ex, kidpub, kidpub games, luna was here, occidere frater