Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Outside Life > US Elections
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
https://www.isidewith.com/political-quiz
So I found this quiz that takes your opinions on issues and matches them with the opinions of presidential candidates (I got 95% Bernie Sanders which is totally true).

Also what do you guys think about the legalization of marijuana?? I used to be against it but I'm not really sure
LEGALIZE IT YaY

and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n
that if you talk enough sense, then you'll lose your mind

- I Found, by Amber Run
Old 08-07-2015, 03:24 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Jesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgebraAddict View Post
LEGALIZE IT YaY
#Basil2016
Old 08-07-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvhamsters View Post
Ay, I'm religious, and I can see how that would get annoying to people who don't believe, but why is it so bad? Just let them be happy and believe in God. I don't see why atheists feel the need to hate on those people so much. Sorry if I'm being rude, but someone needs to defend the people who have the courage to talk about God in a God-hating society.
hi, atheist here. and personally, I have nothing against political leaders who are open about their religion. however, I am very very against using religion as a play point to acquire votes. "oh what a Christian man let's vote for him" - it's a manipulative ploy in most cases. I think religion and politics need to be separate for a reason. a lot of republican candidates claim religion to seem moral while ignoring the moral high points of the things they preach; for example, gun control. "yessiree I love Jesus and I prove that by doing nothing to protect my people by encouraging weaponry that in the wrong hands can kill millions yeah Jesus would love that." forgive me for my bluntness but I think that's ridiculous. and I'm not the only one, among atheists or otherwise. you don't have to agree but if you could stop stereotyping atheists as anti-religion assholes who lack sympathy or moral that'd be great.

((death, white lies))
Old 08-07-2015, 05:01 PM

Location: honestly I can't even think of a witty answer anymore this is tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena View Post
hi, atheist here. and personally, I have nothing against political leaders who are open about their religion. however, I am very very against using religion as a play point to acquire votes. "oh what a Christian man let's vote for him" - it's a manipulative ploy in most cases. I think religion and politics need to be separate for a reason. a lot of republican candidates claim religion to seem moral while ignoring the moral high points of the things they preach; for example, gun control. "yessiree I love Jesus and I prove that by doing nothing to protect my people by encouraging weaponry that in the wrong hands can kill millions yeah Jesus would love that." forgive me for my bluntness but I think that's ridiculous. and I'm not the only one, among atheists or otherwise. you don't have to agree but if you could stop stereotyping atheists as anti-religion assholes who lack sympathy or moral that'd be great.
Jesus would not love that. THAT'S KIND OF THE OPPOSITE OF JESUS, ASSHOLES. Bloody Republican arseholes.

Human nature is to feel sympathy. Human nature is also to question. Regardless of theistic or atheistic beliefs, people have sympathy and they have moral codes.

And religion and politics should be separate. Over here they mostly are. Occasionally people mention religion but nah it's no big deal. We aren't too bothered about it, not in politics anyway, nor anywhere else really. The UK is not some archaic old world place I mean dammit America we're more on the ball than you sometimes. Less insane.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:38 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to lvhamsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena View Post
Here's the thing about having a religion. It comes to play in every aspect of a religious persons life. Now I'm by no means saying that everyone who says they're religious actually follows the rules of that religion, there are definitely people who take advantage of a religion. Those people put a bad name on those who do follow as close as possible to that religion.
However, for those who do follow as close as possible to their religion, that religion influences what they think is right and wrong. For example, the thing you said about gun control. Personally, I'm a very strong Christian and I do believe that there shouldn't be gun control because people need to protect themselves. How the hell is it a smart idea to give away all of our weapons so the government can have full control over us. Sure, I believe that people should get background checks and all that to have any weaponry in their possession, but as long as we get to have our right to own a firearm and defend ourselves with it. My point is, I've read the Bible, I've studied my religion for over 10 years, and I have a better idea of what Jesus would find moral and immoral more than someone who hasn't devoted their life to a religion. And I think that Jesus would be perfectly okay with giving us the right to defend ourselves. I could go on and on about this but I'll stop on that subject now.
But having a religion also affects a person's political beliefs. For example, with abortion, those who follow the religion closely will be pro-life. What I'm trying to say is politics and religion cannot be separate. Religious beliefs with affect political choices. It's just going to happen.
Sorry I'm being so blunt and I'm very very sorry if I seem rude. I'm just so so so tired of seeing people trying to force religion out of society and acting like it's not there. I'm tired of being told to shut up when I mention my faith. I will defend it if it's threatened and I feel threatened. Sorry again!

When we were young we used to say

That you only hear the music when your hearts begin to break

Now we are the kids from yesterday
Old 08-07-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Here's the thing about having a religion. It comes to play in every aspect of a religious persons life. Now I'm by no means saying that everyone who says they're religious actually follows the rules of that religion, there are definitely people who take advantage of a religion. Those people put a bad name on those who do follow as close as possible to that religion.
However, for those who do follow as close as possible to their religion, that religion influences what they think is right and wrong. For example, the thing you said about gun control. Personally, I'm a very strong Christian and I do believe that there shouldn't be gun control because people need to protect themselves. How the hell is it a smart idea to give away all of our weapons so the government can have full control over us. Sure, I believe that people should get background checks and all that to have any weaponry in their possession, but as long as we get to have our right to own a firearm and defend ourselves with it. My point is, I've read the Bible, I've studied my religion for over 10 years, and I have a better idea of what Jesus would find moral and immoral more than someone who hasn't devoted their life to a religion. And I think that Jesus would be perfectly okay with giving us the right to defend ourselves. I could go on and on about this but I'll stop on that subject now.
But having a religion also affects a person's political beliefs. For example, with abortion, those who follow the religion closely will be pro-life. What I'm trying to say is politics and religion cannot be separate. Religious beliefs with affect political choices. It's just going to happen.
Sorry I'm being so blunt and I'm very very sorry if I seem rude. I'm just so so so tired of seeing people trying to force religion out of society and acting like it's not there. I'm tired of being told to shut up when I mention my faith. I will defend it if it's threatened and I feel threatened. Sorry again!
I think Jesus would want you to turn the other cheek, hey, I mean yeah. I don't think Jesus would want us killing one another and then trying to justify it, blaming the victims for 'not owning guns', or pinning it all on mental illness sometimes...and the fact these people could access guns so easily, I mean hell, that's messed up. In the UK, a friend of my family couldn't get a shotgun license because she was on anti-depressants. Here's the thing; the license was for a musket. Something you can't buy bullets for. Or kill yourself with. But we're so rigorous that's just safety. Anyway. I don't think Jesus would want us KILLING ONE ANOTHER that's just a COMMON SENSE THING. Whatever. I'll never understand you Americans and your insane, almost sexual, attraction to guns. It's bizarre. Like, you're more worried about your guns than human life. Ffs.

And while I am by-the-by opposed to abortion there are instances when hey, it's medically necessary and also, well, like I said earlier, people will get abortions anyway and put themselves at risk. It needs to be legal but restricted in order to protect the potential mother's. For instance, underage pregnancy often puts the mother at risk due to a lack of physical development. Or financial reasoning, or psychological effects of pregnancy. There are situations where the most loving thing to do is terminate the pregnancy, and yeah, I'm not a fan of it, but I recognise it is sometimes needed.

And yes, I've studied religion. I'm Christian. I just take a different interpretation than you.

Well yeah, I understand where you're coming from HOWEVER politics is not just for the Bible-bashing 'I'm sooo Christians', it's not just for the Christians among us. Politicians are not just standing for you, they have to impartially represent everyone, Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs...they CAN'T just take a side and say nope, everyone else get screwed. Because they're representing everyone. You can't just make it all about one faith, favour them, because there are atheists, there are Buddhists, there are countless, countless other religions and you have to respect them and respect their point of view, even if you don't agree with it. And that's why religion and politics have to be separate. I'm not saying erase religion entirely, no, and religion does have a part to play in society (I'M CHRISTIAN, PLEASE REMEMBER), but the political minefield really isn't the place for it. Like I said, over here religion barely ever comes up in politics. Sometimes, but not often. Different culture, you know?
Old 08-07-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
The reason that there should be a separation between church and state is that not everyone believes in it. You can't make laws around your religion because there's lots of people who aren't Christians. If you made a law against gay people because you're a Christian, that would be bad because Anerica is not ONLY Christians. It has Jews and atheists and lots of other people who don't want to have to follow rules based on someone else's religious beliefs.

And gun control isn't about taking the guns away completely it's about having control over who GETS guns. That way psychopaths and criminals aren't allowed to get guns.

In countries like Canada and New Zealand, they have way less crime because they have gun control. Random people can't just be given guns because then we'll have more school shootings and killing sprees.

Think about it like this:

The Sandy Hook shootings would've been avoided if we had actual gun control, NOT by giving the kids and teachers guns or something. Is that really making the schools safer, giving untrained people guns?

In some instances owning a gun might save a person's life.
But these instances will happen dramatically less if we have gun control.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:59 PM

And yeah, religion matters a lot in U.S. politics, but it shouldn't. Not everyone is a Christian so why should everyone have to follow Christian beliefs?
Old 08-07-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
And yeah, religion matters a lot in U.S. politics, but it shouldn't. Not everyone is a Christian so why should everyone have to follow Christian beliefs?
Shouldn't. The UK is nominally a Christian country, but only nominally so. By large, it's not a majorly Christian place. And it DOESN'T come into the politics. Basically, we've calmed tf down since the olden days, when those damn Puritans fled the country and set up home on your godforsaken continent.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
you are definitely not the one I have a problem with. I admire your passion for your beliefs and I think you've made some good arguments. it's corrupt politicians I have a problem with. corrupt politicians who take advantage of religion to create a certain image kill me. I hate the fact that it's become so commonplace because it feels immensely disrespectful. I don't have a problem with your faith. at all. however, you did make a statement about atheists being hateful. you grouped us all together in an unfair way and frankly, that made me angry. the last time I told someone their religion was illegitimate was first grade, when I didn't know better, and I learned pretty quickly that that's never okay. yet, I get told I'm going to hell on a daily basis. forgive my backlash but I hate the way people perceive me because of my lack of religious beliefs, especially in my very conservative, very religious community. perhaps you're in a similar situation so I suppose I can't blame you for your defensiveness. so all in all, keep doing you, boo. you're not the one I've got problems with.

((death, white lies))

Tags
#feelthebern, bernie 2016, bloody americans, classical cat, fuck donald trump, hillary lies, howtf..istrumpstillhere, i hate donald trump, liberalsareannoying, lol dat liberals tag tho, mr. potato will get you, perrydonhamforprez, smelborp for prez, teamworldpeace, tedcruzmoreliketedsnooze, vote bernie sanders!, whats up with these tags, why the ?s upside down??, wtfrepublicans?