Quantcast Suggestion: Teen/YA KidPub - Page 5 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > KidPub Stuff > Questions, Answers, Suggestions
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2017, 10:25 AM

it's been said before, but I'm gonna throw my own interpretation out there for any of the younger members of KP who might still be struggling to understand why we want a more mature website, separate from KP.

- Firstly, we're an older generation of writers, and we do occasionally want to chill with people who are in our own age group. I know, I know, it's lame of us, but it's also pretty normal throughout the world, and it doesn't mean we value you younger writers any less, or think you're any less awesome.

- Secondly, maturity in writing. We want to be able to swear without someone piping up about there being young kids around. We want to be able to write about gore and death and all the horrible things in the world without having to censor ourselves because there happens to be a younger person on the site. Now, this is not about whether you personally believe you're mature enough to handle topics like that, because regardless of what you think, there is always going to be a point where it's too much for any younger person, and we, for the most part, are going to hit that point some time during our writing.

Now it might not be you piping up about the swearing, and it might not be you pointing out the maturity level of a certain piece, but the moment there are any kids of a younger generation on whatever site is created, we have to revert back to censoring ourselves and watching what we post because we don't want to be responsible for 'educating' a young person on something that they are not ready to be educated on. We already censor ourselves on KP, we just want the freedom to be able to not censor ourselves somewhere else.

- Thirdly, having a separate writing site for teen/YA writers does not mean we're going to abandon KP for it. We're all fiercely in love with this place. But as stated before, we want space to grow that KP doesn't offer.
Down and out and missing home

(So beat a little louder now
I can't hear you anymore)
-Barns Courntey

Last edited by Zelda; 08-28-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:34 AM

That being said, I'd like to bring to light the option of Wattpad for any older members who are reading this.

Yes, Wattpad is an overgrown hedge of poorly written fanfic and the same five clichés on repeat-- if you don't know what you're doing.

Wattpad has forums and threads, and it also has book clubs. Anyone can create book clubs, anyone can join book clubs. Might I propose creating a KP bookclub on Wattpad for the older members. We would be utilizing resources that are already available to us, meaning we wouldn't have to create a new website. There's also very little censoring on Wattpad.

-Barns Courntey
Old 08-28-2017, 10:51 AM

HELLO!! THE TEEN AND YA SITE ALREADY EXISTS!!!!!!! Its called writerhub and i think jack made it recently.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werty View Post
HELLO!! THE TEEN AND YA SITE ALREADY EXISTS!!!!!!! Its called writerhub and i think jack made it recently.
HELLO!!!! That teen/YA site already has a rule that forbids swearing outside of stories and like, three KP members who are part of the more mature writing group on KP.

Not to be rude or anything

but seriously, writerhub is cool, I'm just not sure if it's exactly the thing we're looking for here. It has potential though.

-Barns Courntey
Old 08-28-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda View Post
HELLO!!!! That teen/YA site already has a rule that forbids swearing outside of stories and like, three KP members who are part of the more mature writing group on KP.

Not to be rude or anything

but seriously, writerhub is cool, I'm just not sure if it's exactly the thing we're looking for here. It has potential though.
Yeah, I feel the same. There's like 15 members and only 3ish who are part of the supposed target demographic.

I don't like Wattpad, personally. I don't really like the other big sites for the most part, although I have several accounts.

Idk what to do about this. I was excited when wh was announced but then realized that it still wasn't really for me.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMoon View Post
Yeah, I feel the same. There's like 15 members and only 3ish who are part of the supposed target demographic.

I don't like Wattpad, personally. I don't really like the other big sites for the most part, although I have several accounts.

Idk what to do about this. I was excited when wh was announced but then realized that it still wasn't really for me.
i get it! we're looking for a collective. we're looking for an exclusive group of older kidpubbians who can share their works with each other and get feedback from that exclusive group.

not to make this 'exclusive' but it's like minded people sharing writing. a writing collective happens all the time. for example, a really popular one was the nosebleed club on tumblr. it was an exclusive writing collective where members could post poetry and it would get reblogged and exposure and it had rules and its own community of like minded writers. i think it's shut down now but a similar one is
thesuburbanghosts

i hate to say it but,,,,, maybe what we are looking for is an exclusive collective for older kpers?
Old 08-28-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMoon View Post

I get the whole not liking Wattpad thing, it's honestly Not That Great, but it does get slightly better once you figure out how things work. Especially when you hit the clubs, tbh I'm simultaneously relieved and irritated that younger me never figured out that there were forums T-T

I mean, the simplest thing to do would be lowkey manipulate the site to be what we want.

and by manipulate I mean ask politely.

ish, politely-ish. also just use it like you would if there were no younger kids there. The younger kids might find after poking around a bit, that KP is better suited to them, and leave.

-Barns Courntey
Old 08-28-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily09 View Post
i get it! we're looking for a collective. we're looking for an exclusive group of older kidpubbians who can share their works with each other and get feedback from that exclusive group.

not to make this 'exclusive' but it's like minded people sharing writing. a writing collective happens all the time. for example, a really popular one was the nosebleed club on tumblr. it was an exclusive writing collective where members could post poetry and it would get reblogged and exposure and it had rules and its own community of like minded writers. i think it's shut down now but a similar one is
thesuburbanghosts

i hate to say it but,,,,, maybe what we are looking for is an exclusive collective for older kpers?
this is probably true.

also that pic on that tumblr-- the blind guy is reading a newspaper/ there is an eyeball on his plate/ that pie is bleeding something fierce/ there are more tentacles on the floor next to the lady/ that's totally a normal waffle house. so normal. very very normal.

-Barns Courntey
Old 08-28-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily09 View Post

thesuburbanghosts

yeah i think

Tags
i hope it happens yo, it exists, lizzie email perry, no more mean comments, shouldwemakeapetition, teen kidpub, teens, tell ur friends, yay