Quantcast Lucid Insanity, please help. No, not that kind of help. It's a book. Yeah. - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Writing > Story Ideas
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 10:00 PM

Default Lucid Insanity, please help. No, not that kind of help. It's a book. Yeah.

Bla bla bla bla bla.

So, yeah.

Okay, so I just got to wondering about dreams and stuff and like, if it would be possible, without hypnosis or falling asleep, to kind of imagine something so hard it would be as vivid as a dream, or to do some kind of willing hallucination thing or whatever or whatever. And then I started wanting to write a book with that as the premise. I kind of want these characters, but other than that I need some help with the plot.

Characters:

1. Lucidity: A random girl who suffers from a condition that people say induces hallucinations, but was a science experiment or something and has achieved the power to follow these dream thingie whatever whatever bla bla bla. You get it. Notice the name pun. Ha ha. Whatever.

2. Driton: An evil scientist bla bla bla who wants to harness the subconcious to his using and thinks if he messes around with people's brains he can get into their minds with their dreams bla bla bla whatever I can change it around so it's not totally cliche, alright?

And a suitable protagonist who just wants to help with the plot. Insert plot here.

Yeah.

Plot.

Please?

and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n
that if you talk enough sense, then you'll lose your mind

- I Found, by Amber Run
Old 09-18-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgebraAddict View Post
Bla bla bla bla bla.

So, yeah.

Okay, so I just got to wondering about dreams and stuff and like, if it would be possible, without hypnosis or falling asleep, to kind of imagine something so hard it would be as vivid as a dream, or to do some kind of willing hallucination thing or whatever or whatever. And then I started wanting to write a book with that as the premise. I kind of want these characters, but other than that I need some help with the plot.

Characters:

1. Lucidity: A random girl who suffers from a condition that people say induces hallucinations, but was a science experiment or something and has achieved the power to follow these dream thingie whatever whatever bla bla bla. You get it. Notice the name pun. Ha ha. Whatever.

2. Driton: An evil scientist bla bla bla who wants to harness the subconcious to his using and thinks if he messes around with people's brains he can get into their minds with their dreams bla bla bla whatever I can change it around so it's not totally cliche, alright?

And a suitable protagonist who just wants to help with the plot. Insert plot here.

Yeah.

Plot.

Please?
Change the protagonist's name. It's too trite. If you HAVE to do a pun in the name, at least tone it down to, say, "Lucy."

Your Mad Scientist archetype is not only old and overused, but I didn't see any motivating factor. Why does he want to control their dreams? Give your characters some reason, some drive, some substance. He will not engage in such a venture without good cause.

Shallow stories are about characters.
Good stories are about events.
Great stories are about ideas.

What is your idea? What is driving you to put the finger to the keyboard and punch 50,000+ words.

Find it. It is the only way any fledgling story idea will survive and mature.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigfig View Post
Shallow stories are about characters.
Good stories are about events.
Great stories are about ideas.
*isn't going to comment on the plot, because is too lazy*

Pardon, but why is a story focused on characters shallow? I could name loads of stories that are absolutely spectacular that have a lot of focus on characters and their development.

I find people more interesting than "OMIGAWD WHUT IF WER ALL LIKE DREAMIN RITE NOW???"
"Writing is a form of therapy; sometimes I wonder how all those who do not write, compose, or paint can manage to escape the madness, melancholia, the panic and fear which is inherent in a human situation."
Old 09-19-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryElizabeth View Post

Pardon, but why is a story focused on characters shallow? I could name loads of stories that are absolutely spectacular that have a lot of focus on characters and their development.

I find people more interesting than "OMIGAWD WHUT IF WER ALL LIKE DREAMIN RITE NOW???"
He has a point. I do really need more of a plot.

Of course, Charles Dickens would kind of suck except for his characters. XD

and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n
that if you talk enough sense, then you'll lose your mind

- I Found, by Amber Run
Old 09-19-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryElizabeth View Post

You've never heard of the quote "Great people talk about ideas, average people talk about things, small people talk about other people?" It was a branch off of that.

I don't know what you find interesting to read, nor do I care. I was referring to what makes excellent writing. Characterization can't drive a story. Plot can drive a story, but then the story is shallow, only for entertainment. A real idea, a message to share, is the backbone of most of the world's most revered literature.

"OHMIGAWD WHUT IF WER ALL LIKE DREAMIN RITE NOW???" when approached appropriately creates great works of art. Inception is one of them.

Obviously, the "ideas" I am referring to have to be good ones. I just somewhat assumed that that factor was implied.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigfig View Post
You've never heard of the quote "Great people talk about ideas, average people talk about things, small people talk about other people?" It was a branch off of that.

I don't know what you find interesting to read, nor do I care. I was referring to what makes excellent writing. Characterization can't drive a story. Plot can drive a story, but then the story is shallow, only for entertainment. A real idea, a message to share, is the backbone of most of the world's most revered literature.

"OHMIGAWD WHUT IF WER ALL LIKE DREAMIN RITE NOW???" when approached appropriately creates great works of art. Inception is one of them.

Obviously, the "ideas" I am referring to have to be good ones. I just somewhat assumed that that factor was implied.
Now that you explain it, it makes much more sense.
"Writing is a form of therapy; sometimes I wonder how all those who do not write, compose, or paint can manage to escape the madness, melancholia, the panic and fear which is inherent in a human situation."

Tags
ohmigawd, we be dreamin', you'rewaitingforatrain