Quantcast Back Cover Blurbs of your Books - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Writing > Story Ideas
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2015, 01:56 PM

Default Back Cover Blurbs of your Books

I forgot what these are called, but the things that go on the back cover of your story if it was published. I apologize if there's already a thread for this, but I couldn't find one and I thought it would be a good idea for us to do this to lure in readers for our books on kidpub. >:D

Obviously this doesn't have to be just on kidpub, it can be if you want to hear if your story seems exciting or not and it's your own private thing, that's fine too.

Let it begin!

and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n
that if you talk enough sense, then you'll lose your mind

- I Found, by Amber Run
Old 07-10-2015, 02:01 PM

Default Here's my modest blurb for The Darkling Weak

In an undocumented wilderness along the coast of the Atlantic Ocean is a school like no other, pumping out a series of "Praeliators" to defend the world from forces of evil. It has existed for years without a hitch, under the reign of Lazarus Darkling…but it's all about to change.

The most feared and hated student in the school, a girl by the name of Emma Fall, is chosen as mentor for four sixth graders: James, the friendly boy with a knack at swordplay. Eric, the moderately awkward child genius. Merissa, Eric's quiet and mysterious sister. And Alice, a small girl who finds herself in the center of something she can't quite understand. It becomes clear that something fishy is going on, and with some reluctance Emma and her mentees join forces to figure out what's happening before it's too late.

On the other end of it is Xenophilius Darkling, the seventeen-year-old fighting prodigy. He's the adopted son of Cassandra D'elia: the cruel and malicious school interrogator. Despite his past friendship with Emma, they could not be more separated. Or so it would seem.

As a twisted plot for the "weeding" of the school comes to light, Cassandra and her unwilling ally Xenophilius are one side of it and Emma and her band of mentees are on the other. Cassandra's plan to take control of the school (and quite possibly the free world) seems far beyond anyone's power to help or defy it. Are Emma and her four roommates the only ones who can stop it… or are they just pawns in a game between far greater powers?

and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n

- I Found, by Amber Run

Last edited by AlgebraAddict; 07-10-2015 at 02:02 PM. Reason: I forgot a title
Old 07-10-2015, 03:40 PM

Mine's like a checklist:

How to succeed on Saturday:

1) Go to the Writing Ceremony of Young Authors

2) Go to Alice's birthday party and have a blast

3) Help Jason at the animal shelter

4) Help Lisa with her concert

5) Go to Britt'd basketball championship game

How to fail on Saturday:

6) NOT go to the Writing Ceremony of Young Authors

7) Go to Alice's party but totally forget her present

8) Forget about helping Jason at the animal shelter

9) Flunk Lisa's concert and pretty much ruin it

10) Not go to Britt's basketball championship game

Which ones I did: 6-9

Grade: FAIL!!!

#﹤(^_^﹤)
But then I was like...

(>^#^﹤)
"I'm hungry..."

(>^_^)> So I ate it.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterygirl View Post
Mine's like a checklist:

How to succeed on Saturday:

1) Go to the Writing Ceremony of Young Authors

2) Go to Alice's birthday party and have a blast

3) Help Jason at the animal shelter

4) Help Lisa with her concert

5) Go to Britt'd basketball championship game

How to fail on Saturday:

6) NOT go to the Writing Ceremony of Young Authors

7) Go to Alice's party but totally forget her present

8) Forget about helping Jason at the animal shelter

9) Flunk Lisa's concert and pretty much ruin it

10) Not go to Britt's basketball championship game

Which ones I did: 6-9

Grade: FAIL!!!

kewl, is it on kidpub?

and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n

- I Found, by Amber Run
Old 07-11-2015, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgebraAddict View Post
kewl, is it on kidpub?
No, but I might post a bit. I'm mostly thinking about publishing it

#﹤(^_^﹤)
But then I was like...

(>^#^﹤)
"I'm hungry..."

(>^_^)> So I ate it.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:05 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to saphiremoon

Quote:
In an undocumented wilderness along the coast of the Atlantic Ocean is a school like no other, pumping out a series of "Praeliators" to defend the world from forces of evil. It has existed for years without a hitch, under the reign of Lazarus Darkling…but it's all about to change.

The most feared and hated student in the school, a girl by the name of Emma Fall, is chosen as mentor for four sixth graders: James, the friendly boy with a knack at swordplay. Eric, the moderately awkward child genius. Merissa, Eric's quiet and mysterious sister. And Alice, a small girl who finds herself in the center of something she can't quite understand. It becomes clear that something fishy is going on, and with some reluctance Emma and her mentees join forces to figure out what's happening before it's too late.

On the other end of it is Xenophilius Darkling, the seventeen-year-old fighting prodigy. He's the adopted son of Cassandra D'elia: the cruel and malicious school interrogator. Despite his past friendship with Emma, they could not be more separated. Or so it would seem.

As a twisted plot for the "weeding" of the school comes to light, Cassandra and her unwilling ally Xenophilius are one side of it and Emma and her band of mentees are on the other. Cassandra's plan to take control of the school (and quite possibly the free world) seems far beyond anyone's power to help or defy it. Are Emma and her four roommates the only ones who can stop it… or are they just pawns in a game between far greater powers?
That sounds really cool! c: I especially like the names, and it was really well-structured– if I saw that in a bookstore, I'd definitely pick it up. Curious question– is it written from more than one perspective, or omniscient third, or...?
Old 07-19-2015, 07:13 PM

For my newest thing, a sci-fi tentatively called Memory Locked (I'm going to end up rewriting this blurb a lot but I feel like sharing something) (also it's too short for my tastes but you're supposed to keep them under 200 words apparently and this is almost 250 so mer):

Nestled below the surface of the Earth, guarded by sleepless Upholders and lethal technological traps, the city of Celeste brims with life. As the largest black-market settlement around the globe, it doubles as a civil metropolis, complete with residence, markets, and entertainment, all centring around the main commodity– memories.

Jarlath Raven is a diplomat in Celeste, and, despite being one of the youngest in his organization, he’s also the most renowned. It’s his and his colleagues’ responsibilities to keep the peace between the gangs and guilds underground, while ideally not getting killed in the process. Jarlath is famed for extinguishing the fiercest conflicts peacefully, but even he has secrets that he doesn’t want to share– and a past he can’t bear to face.

But when he meets Griffin, a seventeen year-old boy with total amnesia, Jarlath’s unforgotten memories take their revenge. It’s not unusual for people to have no memories in Celeste, but all Griffin can remember is his name, and one word– a word connected to the darkest moment of Jarlath’s life.

Reluctantly, they team up to unravel the secrets of their pasts. Griffin is hell-bent on recovering his memories, but Jarlath isn’t entirely sure if he wants to find the truth– and what the truth could transform him into. But as the pair navigate the black market, Jarlath realizes that the only way to save his crumbling city is to face the memories he’s never wanted to possess.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphiremoon View Post
That sounds really cool! c: I especially like the names, and it was really well-structured– if I saw that in a bookstore, I'd definitely pick it up. Curious question– is it written from more than one perspective, or omniscient third, or...?
aha why thanks and also it's from first person but it changes pov every few chapters to a different charrie. of course that could change because it's a rewrite of a book I used to do. :3

and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n

- I Found, by Amber Run
Old 07-19-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphiremoon View Post
For my newest thing, a sci-fi tentatively called Memory Locked (I'm going to end up rewriting this blurb a lot but I feel like sharing something) (also it's too short for my tastes but you're supposed to keep them under 200 words apparently and this is almost 250 so mer):

Nestled below the surface of the Earth, guarded by sleepless Upholders and lethal technological traps, the city of Celeste brims with life. As the largest black-market settlement around the globe, it doubles as a civil metropolis, complete with residence, markets, and entertainment, all centring around the main commodity– memories.

Jarlath Raven is a diplomat in Celeste, and, despite being one of the youngest in his organization, he’s also the most renowned. It’s his and his colleagues’ responsibilities to keep the peace between the gangs and guilds underground, while ideally not getting killed in the process. Jarlath is famed for extinguishing the fiercest conflicts peacefully, but even he has secrets that he doesn’t want to share– and a past he can’t bear to face.

But when he meets Griffin, a seventeen year-old boy with total amnesia, Jarlath’s unforgotten memories take their revenge. It’s not unusual for people to have no memories in Celeste, but all Griffin can remember is his name, and one word– a word connected to the darkest moment of Jarlath’s life.

Reluctantly, they team up to unravel the secrets of their pasts. Griffin is hell-bent on recovering his memories, but Jarlath isn’t entirely sure if he wants to find the truth– and what the truth could transform him into. But as the pair navigate the black market, Jarlath realizes that the only way to save his crumbling city is to face the memories he’s never wanted to possess.

also oh wow this sounds like a book I want to read especially if it was super well done. but knowing you it will be. xD

and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n

- I Found, by Amber Run
Old 07-20-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
aha why thanks and also it's from first person but it changes pov every few chapters to a different charrie. of course that could change because it's a rewrite of a book I used to do. :3
ooh okay I like alternating first-person (my main novel was like that) and eek rewrites good luck c: rewrites terrify me

Quote:
also oh wow this sounds like a book I want to read especially if it was super well done. but knowing you it will be. xD
ahh thank you very much c: