Quantcast Old Writing vs. New Writing - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Writing > Story Ideas
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2017, 03:41 PM

Default Old Writing vs. New Writing

We have all changed as time passes, and so has our writing.

This is a thread to contemplate and discuss how your writing style, writing habits, and everything in between have changed over time, and, if you see fit, what changes in your own life and perceptions have influenced how you write today
Down and out and missing home

(So beat a little louder now
I can't hear you anymore)
-Barns Courntey
Old 01-01-2017, 04:18 PM

Characters- My characters have become much more diverse, especially ethnicity-wise. When I first started writing I tended to white-wash my character, or give them physical attributes that didn't match up to their race (ex: Native American girl, had curls and green eyes). I first started noticing exactly how much I white-washed characters after Erin Latimer pointed out how much of an issue it was in her Wattpad Fantasy Writer's Handbook. After that I tried to make sure that at least one POC was included in all of my books, and I think all of my recent books have POC or multi-racial main characters.
As far as gender and sexuality go, because I tend to cringe away from non-platonic romances unless it's a ship I'm super hyped about, the subject of sexuality doesn't come up often. Until recently all of my characters were hetero/cis by default. Now i'm planning a book with an androngynous character, and an ace character, that i'm excited for. However I don't think that I will ever truly progress to the point where I have characters that fall on the homosexual/homoromantic side of the spectrum. I mean no insult or injury to anyone in the LGBTQ+ community, however I am, you know, Christian, and though I would never, say, attack someone for being gay, I have made the choice not to include that particular subject in my writing. Which will definitely effect me if I publish, as the world is shifting and history is repeating itself to allow the oppressed to rise to power, books that have LGBTQ+ relationships will rise in popularity while books that don't will become less and less desired. But hey, I'm not writing for the popularity anyways x)

Style- Grammar-wise i've improved vastly. My works used to be all one long paragraph, regardless of dialogue. I sucked, and still suck, at smooth transitions, but i'm improving little by little. Reading how-to books helped some, and reading other authors had a major effect.

Habits- Procrastination. Yesterday, today, and always.
Down and out and missing home

(So beat a little louder now
I can't hear you anymore)
-Barns Courntey
Old 01-01-2017, 05:53 PM

i don't think i've used the word "suddenly" in like a year so that's good

and my prose doesn't weigh one hundred fifty pounds anymore
Old 01-01-2017, 06:08 PM

Really old writing - awful fanfic

Old writing - beautiful prose, amazingly crafted characters, hard-hitting metaphors, plots with sense and depth, lovely descriptions, natural dialogue, gripping romance subplots, thrilling action scenes

New writing - slightly less awful fanfic
Old 01-01-2017, 06:52 PM

There are some very good old novels and pieces of lit., but, some of it is...........ehhh.

New writing is more adventure-ish. both have ups and downs
Old 01-01-2017, 06:55 PM

My old writing was so so so BAD
Old 01-01-2017, 07:52 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Jesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelHope View Post
Really old writing - awful fanfic

Old writing - beautiful prose, amazingly crafted characters, hard-hitting metaphors, plots with sense and depth, lovely descriptions, natural dialogue, gripping romance subplots, thrilling action scenes

New writing - slightly less awful fanfic
yup this is me
Old 01-01-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda View Post
Characters- My characters have become much more diverse, especially ethnicity-wise. When I first started writing I tended to white-wash my character, or give them physical attributes that didn't match up to their race (ex: Native American girl, had curls and green eyes). I first started noticing exactly how much I white-washed characters after Erin Latimer pointed out how much of an issue it was in her Wattpad Fantasy Writer's Handbook. After that I tried to make sure that at least one POC was included in all of my books, and I think all of my recent books have POC or multi-racial main characters.
As far as gender and sexuality go, because I tend to cringe away from non-platonic romances unless it's a ship I'm super hyped about, the subject of sexuality doesn't come up often. Until recently all of my characters were hetero/cis by default. Now i'm planning a book with an androngynous character, and an ace character, that i'm excited for. However I don't think that I will ever truly progress to the point where I have characters that fall on the homosexual/homoromantic side of the spectrum. I mean no insult or injury to anyone in the LGBTQ+ community, however I am, you know, Christian, and though I would never, say, attack someone for being gay, I have made the choice not to include that particular subject in my writing. Which will definitely effect me if I publish, as the world is shifting and history is repeating itself to allow the oppressed to rise to power, books that have LGBTQ+ relationships will rise in popularity while books that don't will become less and less desired. But hey, I'm not writing for the popularity anyways x)

Style- Grammar-wise i've improved vastly. My works used to be all one long paragraph, regardless of dialogue. I sucked, and still suck, at smooth transitions, but i'm improving little by little. Reading how-to books helped some, and reading other authors had a major effect.

Habits- Procrastination. Yesterday, today, and always.
why, because homosexuality is a "sin"? Not attacking you, just wondering. I don't understand why heterosexual relationships are any different than homosexual ones. I mean, I understand if you don't feel comfortable writing it, but I don't really see what it has to do with being Christian, unless you're a homophobic Christian.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:56 PM

old writing: trying to sound smart and pretentious with all white, cis, straight characters. there was a lot of telling without any showing. weird, vague transitions from scenes. random characters that are deeply discussed and yet never come up again. crappy jokes. no description. every character was a code for someone is my actual life. so many "sort of"'s. included gems like:
Quote:
I tried to stand up but then I realized that I was already standing.
and
Quote:
I get a terrible feeling in my stomach and turn around to leave this terrible place.
and the infamous

Quote:
“Since I can’t change my age, I’ll change my name!” She says, warming to her idea. “Well, it can’t be too different from Katilda. How about... Kat?”

Hazel suddenly seemed to understand was going on. The cat shakes her head.

“Okay, I didn’t know cats could do that but whatever. How about.... Tilda?” Again, Hazel
shakes her head.

“How about.... Tila? We really don’t have much time for this you know.” Hazel
shakes her head.

“Okay, how about.... Tillie?” Hazel nods, and if it’s possible, Hazel smiles.
“Kay, Tillie it is... Let’s go inside now.”
my writing now: a lot of lowercase (for poetry and writing and the wb). as some of you know, the project i'm working on has like 2 main white characters (out of 6) and a trans girl and an asexual girl and a lesbian and a bisexual and yeah. i continue trying to write well (obviously) but my head (writing-wise, at least) has definetly gotten smaller. most of my characters are based on book characters and songs and tv and not real, living humans. there aren't any animal friends. i think that's probably the best feat that i've accomplished: 0 animal friends.

OH also i vote to bring back the old writing critiques whos with me?!?!?!

it takes and it takes and it takes
-leslie odom jr and lin manuel miranda, "wait for it," hamilton
Old 01-02-2017, 12:44 PM

Old writing: Tried to be super chill and savvy, very YA novel™ Vibe to them. Pretty okay about race but unsure how to portray LGBTQ+ characters, terrified of trying to write romantic relationships, tried to be Rick riordan dialogue with Cassandra Cass theme, repetitive word use, takes thirty years to describe something all at once, notcomfortable writing female characters as much even though I am one?

New writing: nothing is straight practically, I try to balance but oops, lots of non cis characters, so much research if I'm barely including one thing if I don't know about it, much less of that typical YA vibe, easier to explore ideas, not afraid to explore romantic relationships more than showing them kids one time and expecting you to know they've been dating for like thirty years, shows much more and subtly world builds and sprinkles in description or at least mixes up large chunks of description with other stuff to balance, tries not to use the same word more than once in one paragraph Especially if I'm describing it, still a lot of male characters but more of others, still have a lot of smart ass cheeky characters but slightly better balance, terry pratchet level dialogue with mine own themes and vibes. Wordbuilding. Oh and I'm so much less afraid of darker themes someone can get the snot beat out of theme in a scene rather than just hinting at the after math.