Quantcast Ebola - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home
Old 10-16-2014, 04:24 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to lvhamsters
Default Ebola

So, this is an interesting topic for debate. Some people feel as if it should be worrisome, others feel like people are making a big deal about it. What are your opinions?

When we were young we used to say

That you only hear the music when your hearts begin to break

Now we are the kids from yesterday
Old 10-16-2014, 08:00 PM

I am terrified. But the news are kinda making a big deal out of it so...
Idk :/
Old 10-16-2014, 08:03 PM

The only way you can get ebola is by touching the body fluids of someone who has it, which is actually very unlikely.
The news sources are just exaggerating it because they're at a loss for stories (according to my dad).
Old 10-16-2014, 08:45 PM

But what if it mutates and becomes airborn?
I think then people would start to get afraid... That's what scientists are worried about.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:48 PM

OH YEAH. And scientists have found out that as a person begins to die and as the person starts to go into critical condition, it does begin to become airborn.
Sorry I really want to talk about this situation because my mom's a nurse and tells me literally everything about it because she's terrified so I need to relay the information...cx

Old 10-16-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvhamsters View Post
OH YEAH. And scientists have found out that as a person begins to die and as the person starts to go into critical condition, it does begin to become airborn.
Sorry I really want to talk about this situation because my mom's a nurse and tells me literally everything about it because she's terrified so I need to relay the information...cx
._. Well...now I'm scared.

((death, white lies))
Old 10-16-2014, 10:11 PM

Unhappy

This scares me. We had to learn about it in history because we watch channel one news.

The news starts off with, "good morning!" and then proceeds to tell you why it is not.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:12 PM

Don't be terrified, okay?
Ebola has been a thing for a very long time. The only thing different about it now is that there's been a reported case in the US. It's not like the flu, and it's not like the common cold where if you touch someone or you're around someone, you'll get it. It's waterborne. THIS MEANS THAT YOU CAN ONLY CONTRACT IT BY COMING INTO CONTACT WITH SOMEONE'S BODILY FLUIDS. So, how can you avoid this? DON'T TOUCH BODILY FLUIDS THAT AREN'T YOURS. Doctors and nurses use this thing called "universal precautions" when they do their thing. You should too. Look it up, it's generally a great way to deal with being around sick people. So, unless you literally are touching the spit, blood, vomit, urine, mucus, and, yes, any sort of genital discharge of a person with Ebola, YOU WILL NOT GET EBOLA.
That being said, it also has a very short lifespan outside of a host. Which means that a bedpan used by an Ebola patient will not be life-threatening for very long. BUT STILL DON'T TOUCH THE BEDPAN.
Ebola is scary af, I know, but there is no need for panic. It's literally the tiniest pandemic ever (substantially smaller than H1N1, smallpox, polio, and basically everything), it's fairly difficult to contract, and, contrary to popular belief, it's not 100% fatal. Most fatalities have been in Liberia, New Guinea, and Sierra Leone, and that can partially be attributed to the poor infrastructure and health care system over in West Africa. Compared to that, the US has GREAT medical care. As much as Ebola sucks (and if you've done any research on it, it SUCKS. I mean bleeding out of every hole you have doesn't sound fun), IT IS NOT A THREAT TO YOU AT THIS MOMENT.
So, next time you get a fever and you throw up a bit, you probably just have the yearly flu, not Ebola. You are NOT at risk. Just don't touch other people's bodily fluids, like, in life, and wash your hands. In the immortal words of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: DON'T PANIC.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:01 PM

I encourage everyone to go watch the vlogbrothers video that John Green did on this matter on August 12th: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-24RP_-X-U
Me
~I See Fire-Ed Sheeran~

DFTBA
Old 10-23-2014, 11:06 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to venika

Ebola is our MUN topic, so I do know quite a bit about this... But yeah, it's probably only an issue in countries with unsatisfactory healthcare... Besides, there are checks when you enter the country, monitoring of people arriving from infected areas, et cetera. >.<