Quantcast Why Do We Bash? - Page 2 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Books and Such > Twi-Hards
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2012, 06:58 PM

No matter what your feelings on Twilight,

This thread is slowly dying now that we've come to a conclusion.

i post what my nipples want (leaving this here to show just how long it's been since I got on, holy crap.)
Old 04-06-2012, 03:05 PM

Location: honestly I can't even think of a witty answer anymore this is tragic

Well, I prefer (vampire wise) the Vampirates books. Ok, so vampire-pirates sounds rubbish I know, and the title is cheesy. But the way it is carried out is amazing.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:50 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to lvhamsters

I've heard of those! I think I'll read them . . . but I'm not sure ^_^

When we were young we used to say

That you only hear the music when your hearts begin to break

Now we are the kids from yesterday
Old 04-06-2012, 04:00 PM

Location: honestly I can't even think of a witty answer anymore this is tragic

They just work as a series of books in a way Twilight doesn't. The antagonist, Sidorio, is quite threatening at times. The Vampirate Captain is an enigma. The characters seem...unique. I have a soft spot of utter hatred for Lola (another antagonist) who comes in the fourth book and is irratating.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeptemberLove View Post
Well, like someone said on the other thread, it was only the movie that made Edward sparkly.
*points at quote* Nuh-uh. Edward sparkles in the book too. That is the only part of the book I've read. :P

*reviving thread* :P
Old 04-23-2012, 10:42 PM

I shall now list ten of the reasons I hate Twilight.

1. It has no plot. Seriously, it's like in the last fifty pages, Meyer was like, "Oh, books need plots, right?" So then she made an antagonist who was defeated in the next fifty pages.

2. Meyer can't write. At all. All her sentences sound awkward and choppy, which she tries to cover up by using big words.

3. Bella is a self-insert. I have a feeling Meyer wrote the books while daydreaming about Edward. That's why the books are so popular with teenage girls, because they like to imagine that all the stuff that happens to Bella is actually happening to them.

4. Bella is a Mary-Sue, which is a perfect character that never does anything wrong. And even if she does do something wrong, she never gets in trouble for it. All the people at her school are just crazy about her, even though she's not even that appealing.

5. Edward is a Mary-Sue. He's just oh-so-perfect.

6. There's no reason why Edward should love Bella. I mean, what's so appealing about her? Besides the fact that Edward can't read her mind.

7. The fact that Edward can't read her mind is never explained.

8. Most of the characters are paper thin and based off of stereotypes.

9. Bella never does ANYTHING. It's always Edward who comes in and saves the day.

10. Meyer tells instead of shows. Bella is supposed to be a super smart girl who reads a lot, but we barely ever SEE her reading. We're just told constantly that she reads a lot. It's the same way for Edward's love for Bella. He's always telling her he loves her, and cuddling with her, but we never really understand why or how he loves her. Same with Bella, although I assume she just loves him because he's oh-so-perfect.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evyn View Post

1. It has no plot. Seriously, it's like in the last fifty pages, Meyer was like, "Oh, books need plots, right?" So then she made an antagonist who was defeated in the next fifty pages.

2. Meyer can't write. At all. All her sentences sound awkward and choppy, which she tries to cover up by using big words.

3. Bella is a self-insert. I have a feeling Meyer wrote the books while daydreaming about Edward. That's why the books are so popular with teenage girls, because they like to imagine that all the stuff that happens to Bella is actually happening to them.

4. Bella is a Mary-Sue, which is a perfect character that never does anything wrong. And even if she does do something wrong, she never gets in trouble for it. All the people at her school are just crazy about her, even though she's not even that appealing.

6. There's no reason why Edward should love Bella. I mean, what's so appealing about her? Besides the fact that Edward can't read her mind.

9. Bella never does ANYTHING. It's always Edward who comes in and saves the day.

10. Meyer tells instead of shows. Bella is supposed to be a super smart girl who reads a lot, but we barely ever SEE her reading. We're just told constantly that she reads a lot. It's the same way for Edward's love for Bella. He's always telling her he loves her, and cuddling with her, but we never really understand why or how he loves her. Same with Bella, although I assume she just loves him because he's oh-so-perfect.
Wonderful. I agree with every single number you said.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:

I'm not a huge, huge fan of Twilight, but I like it okay.

1. The first half was just the whole falling-in-love part. I agree that she should have made that shorter, but she felt the need to just have half the book be all about it. People like different things. *shrug*

2. I never noticed that...

3. That's kind of also why Harry Potter is popular. XD

4. She's pathetic. It's kind of a draw-back. She's insecure, and a bit droolly about Edward. Even the author makes it into a major fault in her.

5. He's really overprotective, but other than that I kind of agree. ;-;

6. He feels that she's a good person, and tries to befriend her. Then, because he feels guilty for wanting to eat her, he saves her from a truck and from a street gang.

7. It does explain it in the fourth book. She's a shield- it's a gift that she has, even as a human. When she's a vampire, she can shielf other people. Like mind-reading.

8. You can't exactly say that she "does vampires all wrong" and that she "uses stereotypes". You can critique her for one or the other, but not both.

9. I found this really annoying too- it gets a lot better in the last few books in the series. The first book kind of sucked in that way. >_>

10. She does have a lot of reading moments, again, not as much in the first book- my least favorite. :P

Anyway, the first book wasn't the best. I'd reccomend skipping to the last one just cuz.

and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n
that if you talk enough sense, then you'll lose your mind

- I Found, by Amber Run
Old 06-11-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:

Okay. For the Oh so perfect part- I must disagree. In the first book, I almost felt kinda sorry for Bella. All the others. Though- I totally agree with you.
greatly exaggerated.
-- Mark Twain
Old 06-11-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph-soph27 View Post
Okay. For the Oh so perfect part- I must disagree. In the first book, I almost felt kinda sorry for Bella. All the others. Though- I totally agree with you.
Oh, well that's good to know that not every person who reads the series wishes they had Bella's life.