Quantcast gap year??? - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home
Old 03-28-2016, 08:34 PM

Default gap year???

okay for those of u who are in upper school rn, how would u feel about taking a gap year b/w upper (high) school and college/university???

I am obsessed with the idea right now. I just want to travel around America by Greyhound bus writing a novel about my travels and writing down the stories of the people I meet. guilty secret time--

I have a pinterest board of all the clothes I would bring with me. and it's all flowery boho stuff and floppy hats and dark pink lipstick. agh. i am too far gone. yeaahhh.

i mean i even have a packing list on my phone. halp.

sooo who else is fantasizing about a gap year??? and where would you go/what would you do/who would you meet?????

and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n
that if you talk enough sense, then you'll lose your mind

- I Found, by Amber Run
Old 03-28-2016, 08:54 PM

So I'm not in upper school yet, but I've definitely been thinking of a gap year. My friend and I have talked about buying an old school bus or a car with a popout top and going on a giant road trip after we finish high school.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:43 PM

I've thought about it a little and it sounds really fun, except that I wouldn't be old enough to really do anything on my own. :P I doubt my parents would even let me go on a road trip or travel on my own/with a friend, even if I did work part-time to pay for it (the money part is kindof an issue, since i can't get a regular job until i'm 16 and i wont be 16 until senior year. even then idk if i'd be allowed to work someplace ahah BUT I could probably drive by then which opens up a lot of options). I'm also a little nervous about forgetting all the crap I've learned so far (going back to school and being like: study??? what is this 'study'??), although that isn't as big of an issue.

bUT a lot of colleges will let you push enrollment for a semester or a year once you've been accepted. This way you don't have to worry about applying to a college after you've been out of school for a while (if not you'd have to deal with the hassle of more paperwork ew)

anyhow all that being said a gap year sounds like an awesome adventure to have, so if any of you guys do decide to do it a couple years down the road i hope you enjoy it, learn lots, and have fun *whispers**takemewithyou*

if i went i'd love to travel to different countries (Turkey! Japan! Malaysia! Iceland! ..but, you know, airfare is crazy), although slightly more realistically speaking i'd probably just go on a big ol' road trip in a car round the east side of the u.s. (haven't been there yet!), maybe canada??, and most of the states i haven't been to, camping in random beautiful spots and saying hello to the ocean and eating good food and taking cheesy photographs and meeting all sorts of awesome people along the way ^u^ (and bc i love art i'd probably do like little traveling sketches here and there and use watercolors to paint my favorite spots bc why not)
finally
free

or is this
just a prettier
cage?

Last edited by Cherrybomb; 03-28-2016 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:27 AM

Yess. Just... detoxing from high school
My best friend and I have been planning a roadtrip for the summer after we graduate and we've got most of it all planned and it's lovely and it's what keeps me going through school right now tbh.
(I've actually planned this out more than I've planned out college oops)
Old 03-29-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherrybomb View Post
I've thought about it a little and it sounds really fun, except that I wouldn't be old enough to really do anything on my own. :P I doubt my parents would even let me go on a road trip or travel on my own/with a friend, even if I did work part-time to pay for it (the money part is kindof an issue, since i can't get a regular job until i'm 16 and i wont be 16 until senior year. even then idk if i'd be allowed to work someplace ahah BUT I could probably drive by then which opens up a lot of options). I'm also a little nervous about forgetting all the crap I've learned so far (going back to school and being like: study??? what is this 'study'??), although that isn't as big of an issue.

bUT a lot of colleges will let you push enrollment for a semester or a year once you've been accepted. This way you don't have to worry about applying to a college after you've been out of school for a while (if not you'd have to deal with the hassle of more paperwork ew)

anyhow all that being said a gap year sounds like an awesome adventure to have, so if any of you guys do decide to do it a couple years down the road i hope you enjoy it, learn lots, and have fun *whispers**takemewithyou*

if i went i'd love to travel to different countries (Turkey! Japan! Malaysia! Iceland! ..but, you know, airfare is crazy), although slightly more realistically speaking i'd probably just go on a big ol' road trip in a car round the east side of the u.s. (haven't been there yet!), maybe canada??, and most of the states i haven't been to, camping in random beautiful spots and saying hello to the ocean and eating good food and taking cheesy photographs and meeting all sorts of awesome people along the way ^u^ (and bc i love art i'd probably do like little traveling sketches here and there and use watercolors to paint my favorite spots bc why not)
Yooo if you ever come to the northeast that would be awesome
But yeah I'm just lucky that I can busk (play my instrument for money) around here, so I can make money even though I don't have a real job.
Also at the school I'm going to go to next year I can take college classes for free and for both highschool and college credit if I'm advanced enough, so I might be able to skip a year of college.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ember View Post
Yess. Just... detoxing from high school
My best friend and I have been planning a roadtrip for the summer after we graduate and we've got most of it all planned and it's lovely and it's what keeps me going through school right now tbh.
(I've actually planned this out more than I've planned out college oops)
dude sameee

me and my friend have planned this giant roadtrip for after we graduate too and i have a list of food im going to bring and we have this whole plan and ughh it makes me so happy (@aa im also considering making a pinterest board eheh ^u^) like it sounds cheesy but we're going to go to the beach and take tumblr pictures and probably do the pacific northwest and eat good food and camp and ahh im so excited
Old 03-30-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabes View Post
dude sameee

me and my friend have planned this giant roadtrip for after we graduate too and i have a list of food im going to bring and we have this whole plan and ughh it makes me so happy (@aa im also considering making a pinterest board eheh ^u^) like it sounds cheesy but we're going to go to the beach and take tumblr pictures and probably do the pacific northwest and eat good food and camp and ahh im so excited
ahh yess
except we're probably going to eat trash food bc we're poor but yess
Old 03-30-2016, 08:09 PM

sounds like a nice thing but for me just a source of stress like literally everything else
they'd lead me to y o u