Quantcast I really need help! - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Writing > Story Ideas
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2011, 12:08 PM

Default I really need help!

So, I have this problem.

I'm writing this book called Breaking Darkness. The plot is that this Norweigan girl gets transported to this fantasy world with this giant spider that grows so big she can ride on it. She is captured by evil trees, but escapes. She makes friends with weird animals and the few good people, but when the rebels of Chalkboom attack her and team up with the evil armies of trees, she has to think up some weird stratigic plan that I haven't thought of yet to force them to find a home in the dark lands on the other side of the swamp. Then she has to fight an evil lord with a weird haircut for the throne of the new city that she establishes.

My problem is that my parents will not like it if I make it too violent or dark, so I have to be really careful what to write. For another book later in the series that I wrote (this is the first book in the series), I made it all be comedy, but I want this one to be more serious. How can I put this story to make it appropriate?

and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n
that if you talk enough sense, then you'll lose your mind

- I Found, by Amber Run
Old 07-01-2011, 02:18 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to lvhamsters

Well, what I do is make my stories violent but I never let my parents read them. i don't know why. But you don't have to show your parents and if you want to make your book less violent, just say the bullet pierced his heart instead of something gross.

When we were young we used to say

That you only hear the music when your hearts begin to break

Now we are the kids from yesterday
Old 07-01-2011, 02:56 PM

Well, the problem is that all my books are for publishing. I have to let them read them. And even the bullet peirced his heart is a little violent for my dad. I have to do something with no killing, and that's going to be hard...

and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n

- I Found, by Amber Run
Old 07-01-2011, 03:00 PM

Location: Stalking in the silence; listening to your tortured dreams.

Why? That's what I don't understand. It's your story, who cares how dark and violent it is. I mean, I'm a gothic writer, so the violent, disturbing, and not so grand plots are the ones I excel at and all I get from my parents are odd looks. I mean, sure, they're a little too violent for them, but they really don't care anyway. Do I censor my work? Well yeah, I kind of half to, otherwise I'll freak myself out too. But again, it's your story, maybe it needs a dark and violent plot to make it interesting.

We lie best when we lie to ourselves. ~ It; Stephen King.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:06 PM

Well, for a while I wrote dark and violent, but then my parents like gave me a talking-to and grounded me from the chronicals of narnia. I don't want to go through that again, and I'm not sure exactly how to do that. The last book I did, I made all the bad guys ridiculous idiots, but I'm not sure if I really want to do that. I want to have the same weird intense writing as Watership Down, my favorite book, but I don't know how to do that in a non-violent way.

and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n

- I Found, by Amber Run
Old 07-01-2011, 03:14 PM

I worry about that too.
Books are fascinating tales with adventure, tragedy(including death), happiness, tears and joy. How will you make a reader cry if you can't have that crying part in it? Is it only an upbeat story with no crying at all?
I think you may have to tell your parents that if there are no deaths, the whole plot line may change completely.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:44 PM

I think that it would be fine without deaths, but how do I get a band of evil persons to be forcefully banished without battle? It would have to be an elegant trick, and I'm not sure about those.

and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n

- I Found, by Amber Run