Quantcast Religion [not a debate; just lost lil' me] - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Outside Life > Free advice
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2009, 03:23 AM

Default Religion [not a debate; just lost lil' me]

Religion. I'm...I'm confused. Worried. Wondering. Sceptic. Longing. Disbelieving. Wanting to believe. Refusing to believe. Torn.

Religion. Something I've been wondering about a lot lately. I used t be Christian - Catholic, I think. Went to church every Sunday, got my communion, etc...you know.

Then, slowly, I lost my faith. Over time, a few months, I began to think. I began to doubt. I didn't want to go to church anymore. I began to listen to the words of the readings and sermons, and they built on my doubt and gradual disbelief. To me, they implied that I should blindly follow God, Jesus, the Bible...like I was a sheep, or a slave...

And how humans...the world...got here - my ten year old self doubted majorly that God had created humans, and earth. That would be like magic, and however much I wanted it to, Magic didn't exist. And some Christians - they believe that magic is Satanic, and yet how were we created if it weren't for some form of magic, or supernatural power?

How, and why, God lets us or MAKES us do things such as war and murder...that was always unclear. I thought we were just pawns to Him, because if He REALLY loved us, He wouldn't let do the things we do...

And so I doubted. You can see why. All of those things - to a (quite frankly) sharp but biased ten year old mind - added up to disbelief. So I didn't say prayers. I refused to go to church. I came to the conclusion that there was no God, and I believed in Science; evolution.

Until recently.

I don't know why, but I began to think about it all again. About what I felt, what I decided, what I now believe.

In one way, I believe that God, and heaven, and the Bible are just one big...one big hoax or something. A religion derived from ancient texts - myths, stories. In thousands of year's time, Harry Potter could become a religion, the seven books and their many counterparts substituting the bible.
But in another way, I want to believe in God. I want to have faith, I want to believe that someone will always be there, will love me...I want to believe that science doesnít account for everything. I want to have faith.

And yet I can't.

I'm confused. Plain confused, and irrevocably torn. I was "Switzerland" for a while, neither believing in God nor believing He wasn't real, not religious nor an atheist...

I don't want to be a slave of God. I don't want to have to be forgiven for every sin I commit, because 'sins' are a part of life, and nothing is going to stop me sinning (however bad that may sound).

But I'm...I'm just...I don't know.

I'm sorry for this rant, vent...but I wouldn't have written it if I wasn't truly lost.

I need help. Opinions. I want to be found. I don't want to be wading...wallowing...in the sea of confusion. I don't want to be swallowed up by something larger than I can handle thinking of, by something that will consume me.

Please. I'm lost. I don't know what to think - believe - do.

Help.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:33 AM

Default Hm...

I know how you feel. Really, I do. I don't go to church every Sunday, but every now and then, and I try to listen, to the sermons... TRY to believe. But some of it's hard.

I guess I believe in God. Because so many things can't be explained without Him. And... I believe there WAS a Jesus, because there is proof he exsisted. They even had it in my history book! But then, there's proof Buhda exsisted too, and I'm not Bhudist. Is that the word? Um... Hm.

Anyways, yeah... I know there was a Jesus. I believe there was a God. I just don't believe that every one of us is at His will. I don't think he controls us, and if there was a God, who loved us as his own [i]children[i] and was all powerful, then he wouldn't let the world be how it is now. Maybe it's just because people's faith in him is falling. But... Jesus was something that happened thousands of years ago. How are we supposed to believe now, so many years later? I'll go to church, and listen to the priest speak, and just... wonder. I try to believe it, at the time I suck it all in, but at the same time, I am skeptical. So yeah... This was a long, pointless rant, that didn't even say anything new, but this is just my basic opinion I guess. It would be more developed, but I just woke up... So yeah...
Old 01-01-2009, 12:50 PM

I think it all comes down to what you want to beleave. I don't want to sturr things up, so I think I'm going to let you work it out
Old 01-01-2009, 11:46 PM

Lightbulb

To me, God is like Santa. As much as I want him (or her) to exist, I don't believe it actually does.

I think religion is kind of a safety system for people. It provides unity, a sanctuary, a life-after-death. And I have no problem with that. But seeing all the problems religion has caused, it makes you doubt things. Horrible, horrible things are done in the name of religion, and I, personally, chose not to take part in that.

I believe we just go on to live another life as a human. Just, born again. I don't think theres any divining power behind anything. We are who we are, and only we determine that--and thats the best part about life, truthfully. That humans can be wonderful people by their own choice, their own values. I don't need to have a God to tell me what to do, or what not to do. Because I think its better and I learn more when I figure that out myself.

So, maybe that helped. Maybe it didn't. But, ultimately, its up to you....

-Martin Luther King Jr.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:10 AM

Speaking of born again (maybe this isn't the thread for it...) I was goign to write a story about a guy who gets killed... then born again as the guy who kills him!
Old 01-04-2009, 12:22 PM

I know you know this song, Be My Escape by Relient K, I want you to read the lyrics all the way through.

Iíve given up on giving up slowly, Iím blending in so
You wonít even know me apart from this whole world that shares my fate
This one last bullet you mention is my one last shot at redemption
because I know to live you must give your life away
And Iíve been housing all this doubt and insecurity and
Iíve been locked inside that house all the while You hold the key
And Iíve been dying to get out and that might be the death of me
And even though, thereís no way in knowing where to go, promise Iím going because
I gotta get outta here
Iím stuck inside this rut that I fell into by mistake
I gotta get outta here
And Iím begging You, Iím begging You, Iím begging You to be my escape.

Iím giving up on doing this alone now
Cause Iíve failed and Iím ready to be shown how
Heís told me the way and Iím trying to get there
And this life sentence that Iím serving
I admit that Iím every bit deserving
But the beauty of grace is that it makes life not fair

Cause Iíve been housing all this doubt and insecurity and
Iíve been locked inside that house all the while You hold the key
And even though, thereís no way in knowing where to go, promise Iím going because
I gotta get outta here
Cause Iím afraid that this complacency is something I canít shake
I gotta get outta here
And Iím begging You, Iím begging You, Iím begging You to be my escape.

I am a hostage to my own humanity
Self detained and forced to live in this mess Iíve made
And all Iím asking is for You to do what You can with me
But I canít ask You to give what You already gave

Cause Iíve been housing all this doubt and insecurity and
Iíve been locked inside that house all the while you hold the key
Iíve gotta get outta here
Iím stuck inside this rut that I fell into by mistake
Iíve gotta get outta here
And Iím begging You, Iím begging You, Iím begging
You to be my escape.

I fought You for so long
I should have let You in

Oh how we regret those things we do
And all I was trying to do was save my own skin
But so were You

So were You

The point of this song, is that we are stuck in a hole or "rut", that we fall into when we don't walk with God. The parts I emphasized are the parts that I think are important.

Lauren, God loves you. I don't know how many times you've heard that, but it's true.

As the song says, the beauty of Gods grace, is that it makes life not fair, not fair because we sure as heck don't deserve it.
Things happen, yes, I don't deny that. But Lauren, God helps us even if it doesn't seem like it.

He hasn't turned his back on the world, despite how it may appear. He loves us all, he cares for us. And yes he could very well stop it all. We don't know, Gods full plan. The plan for our lives. But I do know, that if you walk without him, you will be even more lost and confused than you are now.

Sorry if that was long, I just wanted to show you. And if you disagree, that's your choice, I can't control you.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:50 PM

* A/N *
(I don't BELIEVE this. I jut wrote a comprehensive reply to everything - and then my STUPID, STUPID computer went off the Internet and the whole thing went 'kaboom'.
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
( and now my sister's hounding me with songs she wants me to harmonize to RAAGH!!!))))
Anyway. I'm dealing with each of your points with points of my own.

First off: I'm a Muslim, which basically means I submit to God.
This goes into the 'slave to God' thing. Now, what I believe about that...

1) By following God's laws you are not being a 'slave'. And I don't understand when Xians say that they've been 'freed' from the law by Jesus - because Jesus never said that. We have to understand this - by following God's laws, we are benefiting ourselves. God is not forcing anything on us on a whim. Everything has a reason, everything a cause.
For example: the prohibition against wine. We're not allowed it in Islam. Same thing goes for gambling. Same thing about boyfriends. Same thing about women not flaunting themselves in front of men, and vice-versa. The reasons for those are all quite obvious - quite simply, they harm US. We are not chaining ourselves to something that makes no sense, rather benefiting ourselves and those around us in the process.
Besides - where would the world be without laws? Think about it! Same thing goes for our relationship with God.

Summing it up, if we're not 'slaves' to God, then we're definitely slaves to our own unlimited desires. And we all realize that not everything we want is good for us.

2) I agree with you, totally. Never believe anything blindly. We all have to use our logic, our thinking, our God-given reasoning. He did not give is to us to blindly follow ANYTHING. Which leads to the next topic...

3) ...about God, evolution, and science. You say that believing that God created us and the universe is like believing in magic.
But, hey - isn't believing that we, and the universe, and the millions of complex creatures inhabiting the earth were created by atoms that suddenly decided to bang and (okay, EVENTUALLY. but remember the tornado in the junkyard analogy) converge into something that made LIFE?
Believing in evolutionary scientists, just because they use a lot of complicated-sounding terms and a lot of people follow them, is just the same as believing in some preacher boasting the same credentials - Scriptures he warps to support his own view.

4) About God, destiny, and free will:
One thing I want to make clear right off the bar. We create our own destiny. Our choices affect us and those around us, positively or negatively. Blaming everything on God is not acceptable. God GAVE us free will, and our humanity and conscience, to USE it for good. Not for bad. We control ourselves. Even though our parents love us and want the best for us, they cannot control us - they can only decide what they will give us to help us make our choices.
Same thing goes for God.

And to those people committing atrocities everywhere - I believe in the Day of Judgement. All of us will get our reckoning - God never lets justice go. Never.
TO THOSE COMMITTING ATROCITIES AND BEING EVIL:
THERE WILL BE A RECKONING AFTER YOU DIE!
*smiling cheekily* that doesn't mean we can't punish you while you're still here, though.

Cause-and-effect is elemental, I think - what good we do here effects us THERE, wherever and in whatever context THERE might be.

OK. I think I got all your points (and I have a Literature exam tomorrow and my mom is telling me to get off and sort out my priorities. so
If you have anything else, state it so.

What I advise you to do now is learn. Learn what you want to be, and how to live your life. Research every way of life you can and find out its pros and cons.
I think right now you're feeling the void God not being there has left in your life - but you have to reason everything out and make sure it makes sense to YOU. Again, never believe everything blindly. Everyone, including me, has to research what they believe, it spros and cons, and DECIDE. That is what God will bring against us that day - our choices.

PEACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maryam
Old 01-04-2009, 01:51 PM

Default Wow!

Wow. . . You guys are really deep. . .

Random Person: So Tom, what is it that you do?

Tom: I uh, I write greeting cards.

Summer: Tom could be a really great architect if he wanted to be.

Partygoer: That's unusual, I mean, what made you go from one to the other?

Tom: I guess I just figured, why make something disposable like a building when you can make something that last forever, like a greeting card?
Old 01-04-2009, 02:03 PM

mmm. I found something out the other day (maybe this isn't the right thread for this) That the torah (I'm jewish) says that witches are ok... But you can't be a jewish witch! That's so cool! I just found it really intersting.
yeah.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:59 PM

Oh you're jewish ben? So am I.... sort of... ethnically, not so much religiously.

Anyways--me and maryam are known for religious disagreements, so... trying to keep it friendly.

I think that if you felt like a slave, even if maryam says you aren't one, doesn't change how you feel about it. Research other religions, maybe, but don't do anything you don't believe in. Truthfully.

And I don't believe in a "Day of Judgement", even if I did believe in God--I think its too hasty to characterize people as good or bad. Theres a heck of a lot of gray area in that statement.

In my opinion, I think that religion is a good idea fundamentally, really I do, but I think human nature is human nature, and there are loopholes and specifics that just don't hold up. Part of me says that there should be a higher power, but part of me says that religion and Jesus could all just be a bunch of schizophrenics. Who knows, really? Its all what you choose to believe.

By the way, maryam--you know theres a sort of sequel to Does my Head Look Big in This called Ten Reasons Why. Looks interesting.....

And again, maryam--you know I disagree with you about evolution. But lets not go there, k? This is for Lauren...

-Martin Luther King Jr.

Tags
advice, religion