Quantcast Could Twilight have been Great? - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Books and Such > Twi-Hards
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2012, 11:51 PM

Default Could Twilight have been Great?

(Not meant to offend twi-hards, though you guys have proven your ability to take negative opinions [and some crap] lightly.)

I am not a fan of the Twilight series. At all.

I have also read the first book so I could have an actual opinion and not just an internet-and-harry-potter-intoxicated rant personality.

But turning the idea through my mind: a dark, vampire love story; Modernization of ancient horror lore; it fascinates me. I would love the story if Stephanie Meyer had focused more on the mythology of the vampire and the development of the characters, less on the shallow love triangle.

I could see myself in an alternate dimension with a shelf full of vampire novels. Each one won't be filled with pages of cross-breed kissing (and worse) however, but Edward and Bella (both two different people than I saw in the first book. Actually developed characters with a developed relationship.) trekking through the world outside of Forks (I'm not sure if there is anywhere besides there in the books either) following a intricate and imaginative plot that combines medeval folklore with the modern setting.

I am almost persuaded to write the book myself. If only I could go in the TARDIS laying around in my garage and beat Meyer to it, but alas, without Twilight there would be less people reading nowadays. The fact is, teenagers love cheesy no-plot-whatsoever paranormal love stories. And their parents do to.

I kinda trailed of in that last paragraph there, but you get the idea: I love the idea of Twilight, Loath the execution.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:20 AM

Dude, me too. If only we had that TARDIS, eh?

If only... Bella was more independant... if only she didn't shallowly dismiss all characters that didn't want to kill her... if only feminism had been more respected.

-Douglas Adams
Old 02-19-2012, 12:29 AM

Location: Stalking in the silence; listening to your tortured dreams.

Hahahaha, it's a pointless, classic love story where the stupid nobody gets the hot guy. Whoopie. Yes, if you go into the past of the vampire, instead of romanticising them into this creature that glitters in the sun -Oh, scary- has different strengths but few weaknesses, and are the most attractive creatures ever, ignore all that and stick to the nightwalker and you might have a good story there. It's stupid and even worse than the plot of the book -cause, everyone has a happily ever after right? All works out in the end, no?- is that people actually like that garbage. It sickens me.

We lie best when we lie to ourselves. ~ It; Stephen King.

Last edited by Kiwara; 02-19-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:34 AM

I didn't read Breaking Dawn - didn't Jacob and Bella's vampire daughter fall in love or something? o.O Because THAT... that's just... I mean, at least Collins didn't say, "Hey Gale - wanna have a love affair with Prim afores you end her?"

-Douglas Adams
Old 02-19-2012, 12:38 AM

Jacob like imprinted on the kid or something. He basically fell in love with her. Honestly I feel bad for him, he didn't get his happily ever after, and he deserved it when Bella just strung him along only to dump him when her vampire boyfriend came crawling back to her.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:39 AM

Bella got everything.

The entire message was like, girls, you NEED a boyfriend. Men are good. Find a beautiful one who's better at everything than you and you're all set.

-Douglas Adams
Old 02-19-2012, 12:41 AM

Don't forget that he has to have more money than he knows what to do with.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:42 AM

Yeah...

It spawned so many other novels. Like Hush, Hush.

-Douglas Adams
Old 02-19-2012, 12:49 AM

And that...Tiger's Quest series. Basically Twilight, except add a curse, and Indian culture.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:18 PM

Twilight could've been great if Bella called the vampire exterminators and roasted him at state, or if Edward decided to make a truce with Jacob and have a lunch of fried Bella and her blood. Or an asteroid hits the planet and destroys them all. Either ways work.

Tags
bite me, i'll bite both of you, ill bite you all, lyall_areyel_was_here, my socks sing me songs, no i will not bite u, team tardis, you too