Quantcast Favorite Authors! - Page 2 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Books and Such > Book Reviews
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2013, 03:46 PM

Anybody think that The Hunger Games trilogy is enormously overrated? (I freakin' love JLaw, though.)
Old 12-04-2013, 04:10 PM

Veronica Roth, Suzanne Collins, J.K. Rowling, Rick Riordan, Brandon Sanderson, Cassandra Clare, C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, etc.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca View Post
I agree with many of yours. I also love Harper Lee, Garth Nix and Terry Pratchett.
Garth Nix!!!

He's amazing.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticeli View Post
Anybody think that The Hunger Games trilogy is enormously overrated? (I freakin' love JLaw, though.)
I do think that it's somewhat overrated but I still enjoyed it, for the most part.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Nah I'm kinda in love with it

i post what my nipples want (leaving this here to show just how long it's been since I got on, holy crap.)
Old 12-04-2013, 05:51 PM

Cassandra Clare
Veronica Roth
Suzanne Collins
Chris Colfer
Derek Landy
J.K Rowling
Holly Black
Rick Riordan
Kaleb Nation
Tolkien
Robert Muchamore
and heaps more
Sleeping with roaches and
Taking best guesses
At the shade of the sheets and
Before all the stains
Old 12-04-2013, 05:58 PM

John Green
Kurt Vonnegut
Veronica Roth
JRR Tolkien
Harper Lee
Derek Landy
Rick Riordan
Mark Twain
JK Rowling
CS Lewis
Seamus Heaney
Alan Watts
Carl Sagan
...and more

Last edited by arcticeli; 12-04-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:38 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to saphiremoon

Quote:
The first time I read The Hunger Games, I was in love with it. The plot is fantastic– but that's the thing. The plot is good. No offence to the author, but I really strongly dislike her writing style ('hate' sounds rather coarse...), so I could never read it again. I also couldn't read it again because the plot is rather... shallow. The events don't seem very plausible (like Game of Thrones), so while at first it's great, when you look closer, it kind of falls apart...

My favourite (live) author is Patrick Rothfuss, while my favourite writer ever is Shakespeare.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphiremoon View Post
The first time I read The Hunger Games, I was in love with it. The plot is fantastic– but that's the thing. The plot is good. No offence to the author, but I really strongly dislike her writing style ('hate' sounds rather coarse...), so I could never read it again. I also couldn't read it again because the plot is rather... shallow. The events don't seem very plausible (like Game of Thrones), so while at first it's great, when you look closer, it kind of falls apart...

My favourite (live) author is Patrick Rothfuss, while my favourite writer ever is Shakespeare.
Same with me! The only reason I kept reading HG was the uniqueness of the plot and characters. I don't know why, its just sometimes Collins' writing is a little on the cheesy side. I mean, not cheesy but just frustrates me in some ways. My favorite book was Hunger Games. Catching Fire was good, but not as good as the first one. And Mockingjay... don't get me started it was downright horrible. Sorry for all you lovers of the last one, but I couldn't even finish it. The characters were all strangers to me, and the plot was utterly confuzzling. I hope the movie is better.

(finding neverland)
Old 12-06-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by saphiremoon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
Same with me! The only reason I kept reading HG was the uniqueness of the plot and characters. I don't know why, its just sometimes Collins' writing is a little on the cheesy side. I mean, not cheesy but just frustrates me in some ways. My favorite book was Hunger Games. Catching Fire was good, but not as good as the first one. And Mockingjay... don't get me started it was downright horrible. Sorry for all you lovers of the last one, but I couldn't even finish it. The characters were all strangers to me, and the plot was utterly confuzzling. I hope the movie is better.
Looking back on the books, I realize that it's so easy to overlook the style if you fall in love with the plot and characters. I love the concept, and I love the character development all of the main characters go through. When you think about how excruciating the events taking place were and how they were considered normal, it's really quite a masterpiece of mind.

However, if you're simply critiquing the style, I'll go along with this crowd and say that when I look back, it's not of wonderful style. Emotion wasn't very well painted, the words were pretty stark, and a lot of the thoughts in the mind of Katniss seemed very stiff. This could have been on purpose, of course, to suit the futuristic, sick society, but it definitely could've been written better.

I personally enjoyed all three books, despite the stark, empty style; mostly because my headcanons and own emotions swelled in to fill the empty spaces.

and pssstt Nikki Shakespeare is my favorite writer as well

((death, white lies))