Quantcast Bringing Humanity Back Fan Club! - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Books and Such > Book Clubs
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 07:24 AM

Default Bringing Humanity Back Fan Club!

Here is the thread where we discuss, spazz, share theories about Jessica's book "Bringing Humanity Back"!!! 8D
Discuss the epikness here! ^_^
READ. NOW.
^_^
Sleeping with roaches and
Taking best guesses
At the shade of the sheets and
Before all the stains

Last edited by maxi; 01-18-2013 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Apples. e___e
Old 01-18-2013, 07:42 AM

:'3 *spazzes* It feels weird posting in my own book's Fan Club. 8^D *hugs Max* If you read BHB, you won't regret it! XD I think. *hands top hats and backpacks to everyone* Have a free excerpt:

I felt the Glider detach from Jaesun’s plane. My stomach seemed to drop as the Glider swerved downwards. What was good about this type of aircraft was that it is silent. Almost completely silent. The only way you’d know it was there was if you saw it or, of course, if it landed on top of you. [i]Ouch./I] I brushed the thought out of my mind and concentrated on piloting the Glider.

Down below, the ground looked like square plots on a huge map of some kind. Gradually, the land that made up the DMZ came into view.

Miles of deadly electric fences stretched across the land as far as my eye could see. Beyond it were mines buried under the dirt. One wrong step and I would die, alone and forgotten. A wild animal would probably eat me, and my plan would never unfold. So I whispered prayers to the sky, a foot’s length away from my worst nightmares, just to try and save the neighboring country I was so passionate about. It was so wrong to have respect to the leaders that needed nuclear weapons to be famous. The people were starving and suffering from malnutrition and the government kept raising funds for weapons. It made me so angry. These people shared blood and history with us, but we were separate countries, just because of a human with greed for power and world-threatening weapons. I was here to end this.

I tilted the Glider slightly to the left, cleared my thoughts again, and began a hurried, unsteady turn. It slanted downwards at an angle, and I quickly straightened the Glider up again. I flipped a switch on the control panel of the Glider and the landing wheels slowly ejected out from the bottom of the aircraft. A sudden bump told me that the wheels of the Glider had kissed the Earth. The Glider began to slow, and soon came to a complete stop.

I had made it over the hazardous, electric fencing. My eyelids fluttered closed, and I breathed in heavily, glad I had made it safely into the DMZ. So far so good. And not a single bullet hit the Glider. I opened my eyes suddenly and realized that soldiers would soon see the Glider on the border of the DMZ. With steady, swift fingers that came from practice, I quietly opened the door to the Glider and ditched the aircraft, sprinting near bushes on the border of the land that separated the two neighboring countries.

My heart ached to see my loved ones once again as I trudged further across the border of the Demilitarized Zone. I had left them alone, worrying, and feeling breathless. I could feel cold, wet tears build up behind my eyelids, and I trembled slightly, letting out my breath as a long sigh. I tried to wipe the memories from my mind, shaking my head back and forth slowly, but the strong flashback took over me and replayed itself in front of my eyes. A feeling of dread crept up from the pit of my stomach, and a cold wave embalmed me as the hairs rose up on the back of my neck.

It was as if the memory had never happened yet, but was happening now- at this very moment. Everything around me seemed to blur and grow fainter, except for the cold, bitter aura that illustrated the scene. The entire panorama was far from picturesque, and only sent me chills from the event.

My sister stood frozen, staring at me, with fists that had been clenched quite hard. Her dark brown locks of hair were held in identical tight braids, one of each side of her face. The old, debris-coated wood floor of the small log cabin creaked as my sister shifted weight from foot to foot.

“Mina, you can’t do this,” She croaked, her voice soft yet firm. “I won’t let you.”

“Hosu, you don’t understand...The bickering and hatred of our countries towards each other has gone too far.”

“But the DMZ... It’s nearly impossible to get in to, let alone get across. The fence, for god’s sake, is electric,”

“I’ve made arrangements with another man who will release me in an airplane glider over the fence and past the land mines. I’ll be okay, I promise,” I said warmly, glancing impatiently at the front door of our home. As soon as I realized what huge promise I made, I pulled back from my sister. I didn't want to lie to her. I had to keep my eight-year-old sister at least with a minuscule bit of hope.

“Mina, YOU CAN’T,” Hosu bawled, latching onto my arm with great strength. I swiftly turned around and gazed into her eyes with a sorrowful expression upon my face. I shoved her arm off of mine and carefully dashed to the front door of the house. I turned the doorknob of the front door and it clicked open easily. I gave one last hopeful glance at my sister, who was screaming and in tears.

Hosu’s knees had buckled, and she seemed to hug the floor in despair. Her face showed distress and as she closed her eyes, she cried a river, with ragged currents flowing down her cheeks onto the wilted collar of her shirt. The heavy rainclouds in her mind let loose their turbulent nature, and it was as if the entire world, and all of its beauty, had come to an end.

“I love you, Hosu, no matter what happens,” I call out, one last tear drizzling down my cheek. Hosu stood up, crumbling from her pain. She darted towards the door, her legs unstable, but when she finally reached it, I was already gone. One last blood hurtling shriek was emitted from my sister, grief overcoming her. She collapsed once again with her hands covering her eyes completely.

I just wish that I knew I could keep my promise.

My right hand instantly shot to my forehead, which stung with an aching pain. The reminiscence that had been playing in front of me had vanished, and I understood that I was now back to reality and away from my past.

After breaking out of the flashback, I realized immediately that I had to hide somehow. And fast- before the soldiers find me.

Alarmed yells alerted me to the knowledge that the soldiers had found their friends that were on patrol. Desperate, I ran as fast as I could to a tree, hugging my backpack to my chest. I could hear explosions behind me as I scrambled up the tree and hid me from view. Adrenaline pumped through me, and I was shaken up. Too late and I would have dozens of holes in my body, maybe I’d be blown up. I was thankful that I had survived about three unwelcoming death situations.

Loud barks of piercing Korean could be heard. Probably the official that commanded the soldiers, suspecting an intruder. I calmed my beating heart and checked my surroundings. Silence. A haunting, eerie silence.

I hid myself better and closed my eyes, reminding myself why I was here for the billionth time. My country’s neighbor was a cruel world, stuck in the pit of oblivion. Because of terrible government management, the people didn’t know what year it was and fear was hammered into their hearts in the hands of the ‘Great Leader.’ It was cruel and inhumane. I’d seen videos, done research. The defectors were all haunted the rest of their lives, worrying what would’ve happened to their families. Execution? Work camp? Most definitely. I was here to end this war once and for all.

Last edited by JessicaK; 01-18-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaK View Post
:'3 *spazzes* It feels weird posting in my own book's Fan Club. 8^D *hugs Max* If you read BHB, you won't regret it! XD I think.
:'3 I don't feel weird posting in Adrian's Graveyard Fan Club. You post updates here and stuff. (*nods*) JOIN THE VM THREAD TOO! 8D AND WOT THREAD! 8^D

:'D What does Mina look like? Reference picture? (*begs pleasingly*)
Taking best guesses
Before all the stains
Old 01-18-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxi View Post
:'3 I don't feel weird posting in Adrian's Graveyard Fan Club. You post updates here and stuff. (*nods*) JOIN THE VM THREAD TOO! 8D AND WOT THREAD! 8^D

:'D What does Mina look like? Reference picture? (*begs pleasingly*)
Okay, I will! And I'll get started on a reference picture, I guess. X^D (*pops into other threads in different tabs*) There we go. ^_^
Old 01-21-2013, 06:10 PM

http://flockdraw.com/9oaygx o.e
Old 01-21-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Are you on it yet?
Taking best guesses
Before all the stains
Old 01-21-2013, 06:15 PM

Jessica. o.o >w< Are you there? o.e
Taking best guesses
Before all the stains
Old 02-07-2013, 04:16 PM

REVIVED

So.

Updates.
Taking best guesses
Before all the stains
Old 02-07-2013, 04:22 PM

BHB is at a status of 24,760 words. Chapter One and Two have been posted. However, the Chapter Two is only the rough draft, so I guarantee I'm going to change it. Might edit the style of Chap. Two a bit too but not sure yet.

Id work on BHB more today, but I'm sick and I cant think. :/
Old 02-07-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
BHB is at a status of 24,760 words. Chapter One and Two have been posted. However, the Chapter Two is only the rough draft, so I guarantee I'm going to change it. Might edit the style of Chap. Two a bit too but not sure yet.

Id work on BHB more today, but I'm sick and I cant think. :/
Sick? D: Sorry. I hope you get better soon. I needs to leave now. High school so I better go right now. xD Bye for now.
Taking best guesses
Before all the stains

Tags
bringing humanity back, jessica, story on kidpub