Quantcast Writing Tips - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Writing > Story Ideas
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2013, 11:00 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to saphiremoon
Default Writing Tips

I don't think we have a thread like this... And, I mean, this being a writing website, it might be useful. To be honest, I'm finding creating a new thread for every subject (plotting, beginnings, ect.) rather tedious, so I thought we'd have a space where we can put any of our writing tips, and ask for help.

So. Yes. (*sits back and watches thread die in flames*)
Old 12-22-2013, 11:23 PM

How to add backstory into a character's past without just diving into information?

How to make a dragon seem realistic?

How to make a personality of a mother?

How to make filler chapters that will make sense in the book?

How to make a plan and know that you're going somewhere?

Bold= most important
Sleeping with roaches and
Taking best guesses
At the shade of the sheets and
Before all the stains
Old 12-22-2013, 11:29 PM

How do you write long chapters?
Old 12-22-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Haha I just ramble
Taking best guesses
Before all the stains
Old 12-22-2013, 11:49 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to TheMoonWakedWolf

MY ADVICE IS POOPY BUT I LOVE TO GIVE IT SO HOOHAH LETS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxi View Post
How to add backstory into a character's past without just diving into information?

How to make a dragon seem realistic?

How to make a personality of a mother?

How to make filler chapters that will make sense in the book?

How to make a plan and know that you're going somewhere?

Bold= most important
1) There are many ways of doing that. (A lot seem clichè, but every book has something clichè, so whatever.)
• if it's from first-person, any kind of recurring memory would works. Dreams, near-death experiences (life flashing before your eyes), panic attacks/PTSD with the memories resurfacing, whatever. You can make it a sudden slam (all their backstory at once) or just let it trickle out in short flashes.
• other curious characters asking questions and getting dialogued answers.
• pictures of the past (maybe even a little reminiscing).
• inner monolouge. Could be the character "talking" to a dead loved one or praying or whatever.
• old letters and emails and junk.

2) dragons are not realistic whatsoever. They're dragons. Ya just gotta write em how you like.

3) mothers are character. Mothers are women. They're just normal characters, except maybe more maternal.

4) depends on the book, man. Maybe, like, a journey? Or just a chapter focusing on one of the characters rather than all of them or the plot.

5) are you talking plot-wise? Because if so, just let your imagination fly. Think of things you'd love to write about. Think about what you would like to see if your novel were a movie. Make little fanfics in your head. Crossovers. Imagine what your character might do in a specific situation. Imagine what would make your character laugh the hardest, cry the most. Just let your mind branch out and think of the things YOU would enjoy writing about. Then, incorperate what works, and you're good.
Quote:
Get a general sketch of the chapter in your head. Be descriptive. Don't be all cinematic and literal with everything. Weave in thoughts from characters and tiny details relevant to what you're writing about. Try to put in a phrase people will want to quote and write across their arms and binders when it's a best seller.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoonWakedWolf View Post

1) There are many ways of doing that. (A lot seem clichè, but every book has something clichè, so whatever.)
• if it's from first-person, any kind of recurring memory would works. Dreams, near-death experiences (life flashing before your eyes), panic attacks/PTSD with the memories resurfacing, whatever. You can make it a sudden slam (all their backstory at once) or just let it trickle out in short flashes.
• inner monolouge. Could be the character "talking" to a dead loved one or praying or whatever.

2) dragons are not realistic whatsoever. They're dragons. Ya just gotta write em how you like.

3) mothers are character. Mothers are women. They're just normal characters, except maybe more maternal.

4) depends on the book, man. Maybe, like, a journey? Or just a chapter focusing on one of the characters rather than all of them or the plot.

5) are you talking plot-wise? Because if so, just let your imagination fly. Think of things you'd love to write about. Think about what you would like to see if your novel were a movie. Make little fanfics in your head. Crossovers. Imagine what your character might do in a specific situation. Imagine what would make your character laugh the hardest, cry the most. Just let your mind branch out and think of the things YOU would enjoy writing about. Then, incorperate what works, and you're good.

Get a general sketch of the chapter in your head. Be descriptive. Don't be all cinematic and literal with everything. Weave in thoughts from characters and tiny details relevant to what you're writing about. Try to put in a phrase people will want to quote and write across their arms and binders when it's a best seller.
Wow
THANK YOU YOU AMAZING PERSON
Taking best guesses
Before all the stains
Old 12-23-2013, 12:16 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to lvhamsters

Quote:
Basically just plot the chapter out and then put in a lot of detail in something that can seem really simple. Put in a lot of the characters actions and expressions and their thoughts. Basically just a lot of detail :P

When we were young we used to say

That you only hear the music when your hearts begin to break

Now we are the kids from yesterday
Old 12-23-2013, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Why would you deliberately do that? :P
I don't know maybe group some chapters together?
Old 12-23-2013, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvhamsters View Post
Basically just plot the chapter out and then put in a lot of detail in something that can seem really simple. Put in a lot of the characters actions and expressions and their thoughts. Basically just a lot of detail :P
Thank you :P
Old 12-23-2013, 03:52 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to saphiremoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoonWakedWolf View Post

(*claps*)

I agree. :3

Tags
helpful, tips