Quantcast Writing Tips - Page 3 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Writing > Story Ideas
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphiremoon View Post
For posting? 'Cause in my actual Word document, I don't break it into parts– I just don't really want to post ten thousand words on KP at once. XD That tends to drive people away. But for a chapter-part to be posted, I usually post 2000-4000, so you should be good. Lots of people like longer parts.

Oh, and, now that I'm done finishing my chapter... any tips on starting one?
Oh, okay. Thanks! ^^
Starting? Suspensy? I dunno.
I'm uncreative. I just start with waking up or standing in absolute horror. xD
Old 01-23-2014, 04:39 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to saphiremoon

Aha this is pretty much my 'HELP' thread. So.

HELLPPP I'M REWRITING THE BEGINNING OF SHADOW REALM AND I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT TO DO.

Alright, the above is a lie. I do know what to do. Vaguely.

Anyone have any tips on how to hook readers on the very first page? How did you guys start your stories? Dialogue, description, internalization? Something else?
Old 01-23-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Aha this is pretty much my 'HELP' thread. So.

HELLPPP I'M REWRITING THE BEGINNING OF SHADOW REALM AND I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT TO DO.

Alright, the above is a lie. I do know what to do. Vaguely.

Anyone have any tips on how to hook readers on the very first page? How did you guys start your stories? Dialogue, description, internalization? Something else?
Start with a bang! That's what I would do... I have some examples...
"I stole the memory of my first kiss."
"The one thing I'll always remember about the wedding is Stacy's ice cream bar."
"The new government is all lies."
I would start it with a bang like that.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:28 PM

I require aid. Again.

I don't know if I should write this scene or not... for people who read Shadow Realm, Luana and Emmery are on a journey to another worldish type thing to recover a magical artifact. They enter the half-Realm and start towards the mountains, where the artifact is kept. The sun starts to rise and they have to hurry, because Emmery can't go in the sunlight. The mountainside warps and creates a tunnel for them (long story) so that they can get out of the light. Luana then goes and explores outside a little bit, while Emmery sleeps. When the sun sets again, they go off up the mountain.

Should I take that scene away and just have it stay nighttime, so that they can carry on up the mountain? Does the above scene sound pointless?

All feedback is welcome.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
I require aid. Again.

I don't know if I should write this scene or not... for people who read Shadow Realm, Luana and Emmery are on a journey to another worldish type thing to recover a magical artifact. They enter the half-Realm and start towards the mountains, where the artifact is kept. The sun starts to rise and they have to hurry, because Emmery can't go in the sunlight. The mountainside warps and creates a tunnel for them (long story) so that they can get out of the light. Luana then goes and explores outside a little bit, while Emmery sleeps. When the sun sets again, they go off up the mountain.

Should I take that scene away and just have it stay nighttime, so that they can carry on up the mountain? Does the above scene sound pointless?

All feedback is welcome.
Well, I think that if there's a deadline, and they can only go at night, it makes things more urgent, and suspense-y, right?
If you mean the scene you showed us in the Fan club, I think you should keep it. It was brilliantly written, plus, a little plot twist once in a while is good. That also might make Luana more worried, like, Luammery ftw
Old 02-05-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I require aid. Again.

All feedback is welcome.
Keep it. You need more information on the Shadowers. You don't want your readers bored, because they don't know much about them- you have to get them engaged. You need the target audience to be intrigued, and keeping that scene is a good way to go.
Sleeping with roaches and
Taking best guesses
At the shade of the sheets and
Before all the stains
Old 03-01-2014, 06:41 PM

#helpthread

For those of you that do more than one POV in your story, how do you choose whose POV to write in chapters with both characters? In SR right now, Luana and Emmery are together, and I'm not sure whose perspective I should write from in this chapter. Any tips?
Old 03-01-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
#helpthread

For those of you that do more than one POV in your story, how do you choose whose POV to write in chapters with both characters? In SR right now, Luana and Emmery are together, and I'm not sure whose perspective I should write from in this chapter. Any tips?
Usually random, but think about the scenes you want in the chapter. Think about who's pov it is easier to portray from.
Or just do Luanna Emmery Luanna Emmery... In the most orderly fashion.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
#helpthread

*raises hand tentatively* Well, I don't know about you, but, I always write from the POV of the character that either has the most impact on the chapter through their actions, OR, the character who is effected the most by the events of the chapter. Basically whichever one who is the most involved, if that makes any sense. :>
Old 03-01-2014, 11:15 PM

Heh, um, yeah, this thread sounds REALLY helpful! <:^D

(*falls over backwards*) X_x What do you guys do when you re-write a story, but then the chapters end up a LOT longer than the original, but you don't want to spend too much time on the beginning exposition? Like, how do you know if you're rambling on with the first few chapters too much?

Also, dialects...anybody here have experience with writing in different dialects?

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE. ;w; But, if you can't help, that's TOTALLY fine. I get it. It's fine.

Tags
helpful, tips