Quantcast Suggestion that involves the sanity and keeping KP safe? - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > KidPub Stuff > Questions, Answers, Suggestions
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which side are you on?
I think we should be able to view tag creators. 9 75.00%
This might be an intrusion of privacy. 1 8.33%
Run it through staff first! 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2014, 08:39 PM

Default Suggestion that involves the sanity and keeping KP safe?

Perry, I'm starting to notice people posting tags that are really, really, hurtful and sometimes annoying.
I'm thinking that the thread creator can make an option of choosing if other people can view who created or added tags on, and even if they decide not to, they would still have the ability to check on the tag creators for their threads.
It's been brought to my attention that some people have been adding tags that involve curses or bad words that are more severe than they seem when they're pointed at specific people.
Of course, there's then the question about privacy:
Is it fair to have people view tags you might want private?
I guess I'm fairly biased towards being able to view tag creators.
KidPub's a website for kids of all ages, much less kids not mature enough to understand the content of some of these tags.
I was thinking of a few trusted members, or something, or staff where the tags would be run through them first before being posted.
If that's confusing, this is what I mean:
Tag creators can choose if they want their usernames to be given with the tag, but if they choose not to, the tag might have to be run through administrators to be made sure of whether it's appropriate enough for a writing site.

Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be.
And what it wouldn't be, it would.
You see?"

Old 06-22-2014, 09:01 PM

Yes, I like this idea.

The big problem though is that there is a huge generation of us that joined in 6th or 7th grade and is now in high school or later middle school years and it seems as though there is a huge age difference between the "oldies" and the "newbies." And because us "oldies" are in high school we aren't really monitoring what we post, even though the younger members can see it.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:06 PM

To be honest, I think you should address the problem directly on the thread. Just simply say, hey you guys, I think the yourastupidface tag is hurtful, so could the person who posted it explain the humor or delete it?

and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n
that if you talk enough sense, then you'll lose your mind

- I Found, by Amber Run
Old 06-22-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgebraAddict View Post
To be honest, I think you should address the problem directly on the thread. Just simply say, hey you guys, I think the yourastupidface tag is hurtful, so could the person who posted it explain the humor or delete it?
I've done that more than ten times, and it never worked, so I thought of this idea.

You see?"

Old 06-23-2014, 02:36 AM

Location: under an elm tree somewhere, summoning the spirit of virginia woolf

Good ideas... The thing is that lots of tags are posted everyday and so running them through administration would take a long time to come through.
I agree about the tag creator idea, however- that way you could privately speak to the creator of the particular hurtful/inappropriate tag and get them to stop posting it.
Not to be intrusive, but is it a tag in particular that is bugging you or just tags in general?
but oneself.

- virginia woolf
Old 06-23-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal67 View Post
Good ideas... The thing is that lots of tags are posted everyday and so running them through administration would take a long time to come through.
I agree about the tag creator idea, however- that way you could privately speak to the creator of the particular hurtful/inappropriate tag and get them to stop posting it.
Not to be intrusive, but is it a tag in particular that is bugging you or just tags in general?
Certain tags in particular.
They get offensive after a while.
And bad ones just pop up.

You see?"

Old 06-23-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal67 View Post
Yeah, I agree... I mean, if the tag creators are open to the public and one of the tags are slightly offensive the person who posted it will get *attacked* by others, and they're kidpub lives will pretty much be over. Yeah, I think like maybe you email Perry about an offensive tag, and then maybe Perry would have a private discussion with the creator.

Tags
bad words, bias, fudge, mature, perry, potty talk, problem, shut the friklfrakl up, tags