Quantcast Old Writing vs. New Writing - Page 2 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Writing > Story Ideas
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2017, 02:42 PM

idk I'll have to look at my old writing
but here's a little

then: although I had detailed descriptions and stuff, sometimes, a lot of my writing was just a chain of events, and not always interesting ones. I shied away from romance and darker themes, and back then I had no idea LGBTQ+ existed, and I was less concerned with the ethnic backgrounds and cultures of my characters. More of them ended up white bc I am white. ALSO, a lot of my old writing was blatant plagiarism, but I wanted to make series' ideas "better" and use my own characters. Like plagiarizing Harry Potter, and the Parent Trap, and Nancy Drew, and maybe more. It was more likely for me to name characters after myself, and they may have been Mary Sues, also I had more characters named after / based on ppl in my life.

now: pretentious purple prose, so much figurative language, much more introspective. I write a lot more poetry, which is also pretentious purple poetry lol bc its not prose, my poetry if SooOOOoo much better. Maybe more abstract, reads less like prose, much less capitalization. Characters are typically just original creations, sometimes inspired by existing characters and people in my life, never name characters after myself. More POC, no one is heterosexual, more genderqueer characters , too many chars probably, more pondering about gender sexuality and religion and cis characters still break gender norms, much more attention is paid to cultural background. I don't shy away from romance as much, and even in some cases have gotten more sexual, typically in my more mature works where characters are 18+ (piece by piece for peace-- an au about Alexander Mikhailov, it's a yoi au but like. it's mostly me torturing Alexander plus some ice skating; also sun, moon and sky because the youngest mc, Koen, is 18 at the beginning, and by the end Morrigan is like 29 so), also I wrote some p kinky smut the other day (just a little snippet) and I can't go back and look at it bc I'm too embarrassed lmfao. So much angst. There's so much of it. Everyone is angsty. Some people have tragic backstories. Darker themes in general. A lot more mature, even if I have as much writer's block as ever. Also, a lot more cursing. Although I myself have been cursing since fourth, fifth grade, I shied away from it in my writing until 2014-2015

Last edited by SilverMoon; 01-02-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:19 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Jesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by july3girl View Post
old writing: trying to sound smart and pretentious with all white, cis, straight characters. there was a lot of telling without any showing. weird, vague transitions from scenes. random characters that are deeply discussed and yet never come up again. crappy jokes. no description. every character was a code for someone is my actual life. so many "sort of"'s. included gems like:

and

and the infamous

my writing now: a lot of lowercase (for poetry and writing and the wb). as some of you know, the project i'm working on has like 2 main white characters (out of 6) and a trans girl and an asexual girl and a lesbian and a bisexual and yeah. i continue trying to write well (obviously) but my head (writing-wise, at least) has definetly gotten smaller. most of my characters are based on book characters and songs and tv and not real, living humans. there aren't any animal friends. i think that's probably the best feat that i've accomplished: 0 animal friends.

OH also i vote to bring back the old writing critiques whos with me?!?!?!
We should make a thread for old writing critiques
because I was going through my Google docs the other day and it brought back some memories/cringiness
Old 01-02-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
We should make a thread for old writing critiques
because I was going through my Google docs the other day and it brought back some memories/cringiness
ooh yeah I've never attempted one of the writing critique things bfore and I'd like to
Old 01-02-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMoon View Post
ooh yeah I've never attempted one of the writing critique things bfore and I'd like to
they are so fun to do! unfortunately for me, i actually deleted a lot of my docs from back then, so there's hardly anything left that i haven't criticized. i love reading them so much too. i think i've read wolfrunner's "summer storm" critique at least ten times and i always actually laugh out loud. tbh, its kind of pathetic how much i like them, but yaknow

it takes and it takes and it takes
-leslie odom jr and lin manuel miranda, "wait for it," hamilton
Old 01-02-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by july3girl View Post
they are so fun to do! unfortunately for me, i actually deleted a lot of my docs from back then, so there's hardly anything left that i haven't criticized. i love reading them so much too. i think i've read wolfrunner's "summer storm" critique at least ten times and i always actually laugh out loud. tbh, its kind of pathetic how much i like them, but yaknow
I'm 100% on board with this
I read the one garret posted a while back and laughed way too hard
But damn I've got some shitty ass writing I could share with you guys
Old 01-02-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
why, because homosexuality is a "sin"? Not attacking you, just wondering. I don't understand why heterosexual relationships are any different than homosexual ones. I mean, I understand if you don't feel comfortable writing it, but I don't really see what it has to do with being Christian, unless you're a homophobic Christian.
no no no, i'm so not homophobic lmao.
ok, so, i'm not super comfortable with writing homosexual relationships, but i'm not real comfortable writing hetero relationships either tbh.
anyways i had this internal debate for while there, where i bounced the idea of having homosexual characters and after like, three months, and a bunch of studying i decided that i valued my faith more than the approval of my peers, and that keeping homosexuality out of my work would be a way of honoring God in my writing.

^that's the ultra-condensed version of it, at any rate. A lot more thought got put into the decision, but that would take a while to type and i'm lazy af.

Re-iterating here: I. am. not. homophobic. please don't take any of this to be an attack on the lgbt+ community because that is not what it's meant to be. ^~^
Down and out and missing home

(So beat a little louder now
I can't hear you anymore)
-Barns Courntey
Old 01-02-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda View Post
ok, so, i'm not super comfortable with writing homosexual relationships, but i'm not real comfortable writing hetero relationships either tbh.
anyways i had this internal debate for while there, where i bounced the idea of having homosexual characters and after like, three months, and a bunch of studying i decided that i valued my faith more than the approval of my peers, and that keeping homosexuality out of my work would be a way of honoring God in my writing.

^that's the ultra-condensed version of it, at any rate. A lot more thought got put into the decision, but that would take a while to type and i'm lazy af.

Re-iterating here: I. am. not. homophobic. please don't take any of this to be an attack on the lgbt+ community because that is not what it's meant to be. ^~^
i'm reading this as more of a 'backing off' from the issue in general, which is why lgbt+ isn't discussed much in my stuff either ^^

-i found, amber run
Old 01-03-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda View Post

yeah that's fine. I get that you aren't homophobic, but what does faith/ honoring God have to do with keeping homosexuality out of your work?
Old 01-03-2017, 11:28 AM

then: events happen, characters established-ish but no development and not that much depth of thought
now: 60% character, 30% setting, 10% plot. mostly a bunch of pretentious profound shit
Old 01-03-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
yeah that's fine. I get that you aren't homophobic, but what does faith/ honoring God have to do with keeping homosexuality out of your work?
well, sexual immorality in general is identified as sinful and some of the things defined as sexually immoral are,
- adultery (cheating, basically)
-homosexuality
-having sexual relationships out of marriage
ect. ect.
so i wouldn't have characters who weren't married, ah, doing stuff, either.
Down and out and missing home

(So beat a little louder now
I can't hear you anymore)
-Barns Courntey