Quantcast Going to public school for the first time. *Insert freaking out* - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Outside Life > School
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2012, 07:17 PM

Location: en route to Mordor, punching my father, Voldemort, in the nose for not liking my Father's Day gift
Default Going to public school for the first time. *Insert freaking out*

(Not sure whether this should go in Free Advice or School.)

http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/showthread.php?t=448 < That's kinda my inspiration. XD This is going to be half rant/major freak out, half asking for advice, probably. .-.

And if this sounds too calm, just imagine me doing this throughout the post:

(I don't do exclamation marks. >_>)

So, blah, been homeschooled all my life. This coming school year (it starts August, 2012), I'm going to public school for the first time. Tenth grade. High school. It's small, about three hundred students total, about eighty students in my grade. Is that good or bad? How hard will it be to find people with similar interests/people I'd want to be friends with? What if I don't really fit in with anyone? And I don't know anyone who goes to that school, so it's not like I could just hang out with them.
How should I act? Like… spazzyish and random? That's about as outgoing as I get… Do I just, like, sit next to someone during lunch or something and talk to them to try making friends? What if they're talking with other people? I'M NOT VERY GOOD AT SMALL TALK. Will I weird people out if I ramble about books and Doctor Who and memes and quote them and reference them and say random things (random like the Llama Song is random)?! Or mention that I write or that I've done NaNoWriMo?!
How bad is homework?
Is physical bullying/violence, in general, much of a problem? Is it very common?
Do you, like, have to introduce yourself if you're a new student at the beginning of the year? Would think much differently of me if they knew I'd been homeschooled?
Is it that bad that I'm going into public school for the first time at the start of tenth grade instead of the start of high school/ninth grade?!
What if I feel like too much of a failure to be around people in the middle of the day?! *Would make that sentence in all caps but would find it irritating*
WHAT IF I CAN'T REMEMBER A BLOODY THING THE TEACHERS SAY?!

Aaaand, to steal DE's questions:
Who do I ask for help if I'm lost/need to get to class but don't know where the class is, or forget my locker combination? I'm terrible at finding places, generally. On the first day(s), do you focus on classes or getting to know people? Regarding "if you're friends with someone of the opposite gender everyone thinks that you're going out", does it matter much? What if you're friends with multiple people of the opposite gender?
I found the student handbook, it has a map, I could probably put that on my phone or print it out…
Anything else I should really know?

WHAT IF I'M UNABLE TO PROPERLY FREAK OUT UNTIL LIKE THE DAY BEFORE AND THEN I HAVE A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN?!?!?! WHAT IF I'M ABOUT TO HAVE A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SCHOOL DAY?!

Meh. For the most part, I don't sound properly freaked out at the moment. But I was an hour and a half ago!

This will probably have a lot of posts from me by the time the school year starts. ._. HUMOUR MY NERVOUS SPAZZY FREAKING OUT.

(P.S. The Sheldon and the background around him is moving, but nothing else is and it's kinda weird D: )
Old 06-13-2012, 07:23 PM

Hey, I'm going to public school too. I went to a public elementary school though, so I know what to do.
Geez, tenth grade? You're old.
1. Don't act spazzy and crazy and random, but still be yourself. Mention that you write, join an afterschool/before school book club or writing club to meet kids with similar interests.
2. Take notes on what the teacher says.
3. A trick for memorizing your locker combination is this:
Say your combination is 34-42-5 or something like that.
Write this down on a piece of paper as something like this:
34 cats run 42 miles in 5 days.
If someone finds it, they won't understand what it is or which locker it goes to.
4. Try not to make inside jokes you have with us, because they won't understand them.
Don't sweat it, you'll be fine.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:45 PM

Location: en route to Mordor, punching my father, Voldemort, in the nose for not liking my Father's Day gift

1. Spazzy and crazy and random kinda is myself. P: There's a book club, but it looks kinda slow, and there doesn't seem to be a writing club…
2. *Nods and grabs paper and throws it at future self*
3. I don't think I'll have too much trouble remembering my locker combination, but thanks
Old 06-13-2012, 07:50 PM

Answering questions to the best of my ability:

You should act whatever you feel like. My best friend makes random noises she calls 'whale speak' which sounds like a coyote and constantly forgets what she's saying and goes 'what?' right after she says something like 'your voice sounds like two banshees on a skiing trip', and we're perfectly fine with it (mostly because we're the same way). (She also talks to random kindergarteners like she's known them her whole life - amazing.) It's fine being random, just not like, in the middle of when the teacher's talking and you stand up to announce that you use Write or Die or something. You don't really have to fit in to have friends.

Bullying, especially physical bullying, isn't very common. There's not much to worry about. If people think you're weird, that's fine, but if people think you're a complete jerk, maybe not. Mostly, at the beginning of the year, especially, people are too worried about themselves looking stupid that they don't notice anyone else being awkward.

I guess everyone sort of has to introduce themselves at the beginning of the year, or maybe not. Sometimes people just go along with the 'slowly get to know you' thing.

It's probably difficult going into tenth grade after being homeschooled, but I don't think they'll treat you really differently. Then again, it's just what I think, but it's rather likely they’ll be friendly to you.
And if you can’t remember anything the teacher says, take notes. They help sometimes.
Even though it’s probably scary, I doubt you’ll have a nervous breakdown.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-13-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.S.Trendom View Post

http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/showthread.php?t=448 < That's kinda my inspiration. XD This is going to be half rant/major freak out, half asking for advice, probably. .-.

So, blah, been homeschooled all my life. This coming school year (it starts August, 2012), I'm going to public school for the first time. Tenth grade. High school. It's small, about three hundred students total, about eighty students in my grade. Is that good or bad? How hard will it be to find people with similar interests/people I'd want to be friends with? What if I don't really fit in with anyone? And I don't know anyone who goes to that school, so it's not like I could just hang out with them.
How should I act? Like… spazzyish and random? That's about as outgoing as I get… Do I just, like, sit next to someone during lunch or something and talk to them to try making friends? What if they're talking with other people? I'M NOT VERY GOOD AT SMALL TALK. Will I weird people out if I ramble about books and Doctor Who and memes and quote them and reference them and say random things (random like the Llama Song is random)?! Or mention that I write or that I've done NaNoWriMo?!
How bad is homework?
Is physical bullying/violence, in general, much of a problem? Is it very common?
Do you, like, have to introduce yourself if you're a new student at the beginning of the year? Would think much differently of me if they knew I'd been homeschooled?
Is it that bad that I'm going into public school for the first time at the start of tenth grade instead of the start of high school/ninth grade?!
What if I feel like too much of a failure to be around people in the middle of the day?! *Would make that sentence in all caps but would find it irritating*

Who do I ask for help if I'm lost/need to get to class but don't know where the class is, or forget my locker combination? I'm terrible at finding places, generally. On the first day(s), do you focus on classes or getting to know people? Regarding "if you're friends with someone of the opposite gender everyone thinks that you're going out", does it matter much? What if you're friends with multiple people of the opposite gender?
I found the student handbook, it has a map, I could probably put that on my phone or print it out…

WHAT IF I'M UNABLE TO PROPERLY FREAK OUT UNTIL LIKE THE DAY BEFORE AND THEN I HAVE A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN?!?!?! WHAT IF I'M ABOUT TO HAVE A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SCHOOL DAY?!

Meh. For the most part, I don't sound properly freaked out at the moment. But I was an hour and a half ago!

This will probably have a lot of posts from me by the time the school year starts. ._. HUMOUR MY NERVOUS SPAZZY FREAKING OUT.

(P.S. The Sheldon and the background around him is moving, but nothing else is and it's kinda weird D: )
Mkay, first, be yourself, but don't be all spazzy and random like you are on KidPub. You could still be a little random, just don't attract attention. There's a good chance you'll be bullied for that(at least in middle school.) When you have good friends, you can be more spazzy and random and you-ish. SIT NEXT TO A FRIENDLY PERSON THAT IS SHY-ISH AND IS SITTING ALONE. Not creepy shy, but nice shy. This way, you won't have to interrupt convos since they are alone. Don't sit next to a really outgoing/bratty/mean person. Introduce yourself and say something along the lines of "Hi, I'm Isaac and I'm new. *smile, but NOT like this:*"
He/she might seem a little creeped out at first and give you a hesitant hello BUT THATS OKAY! Ask for that person's name. If he/she chooses not to respond or moves tables, or if he/she suddenly become rude, that's okay too. You might want to stop talking and start eating at lunch(don't bring something uber foreign and weird) DONT cry about it or beat yourself up about it.
IF THAT PERSON DOES DECIDE TO TALK TO YOU, and he/she introduce themselves, you may want to ask them to read their schedule to you, so you know if they have any classes with you.
At this point, it may get awkward, so start eating lunch! Or maybe it won't and they might want to talk about something else, so talk to them!
Don't ramble about Doctor Who, MCR, etc. too much or talk about random things. If they ask about favorite songs/movies/books/hobbies, you can tell them but do not go overboard about it.
And the writing/NaNo part? You can say that you like writing, too, but don't brag. And some people will think it's weird, or they will start ranting on how much writing sucks, but don't worry. There's going to be someone who loves writing as much as you.
For example, Chisato, my best friend who I persuaded to join KidPub, was praised by one of my teachers. I asked for her email so we could exchange stories, and now she's my best friend! So don't sweat it :]

Can't help you with homework (still in middle school)

In my middle school, there was like 3 or 4 physical fights and had blood, but that's because my school is in a really ghetto neighborhood with kids that care more about social lives/dating/fights rather than education.
OH, and about that homeschooling question, it may or not affect a person's view on you(positive or negative). You don't have to tell people until you're ready.
It's not bad, it might just be really awkward since a lot of other people already have friends.
If you're really nervous, DO NOT SKIP CLASS. Just ask the teacher to get a drink or put your head down for a bit( NOT FOR MORE THAN 3-5 MINUTES. The teacher may think you're sleeping and that's not good!) for about 30 seconds-a minute. Take deep breaths, but don't breathe too loudly.
YOU DONT HAVE TO REMEMBER EVERYTHING! Just try your best to focus :]

If you get lost, just ask a teacher or a friendly-looking person. WRITE YOUR LOCKER COMBO DOWN(MUST!MUST!MUST!)
I focused on people at lunch, and classes the rest of the day. People might tease you for being friends with the opposite gender, but ignore it.

Oh, don't give in to pure pressure like bullying people, drugs, and that stuff. As you get into high-school, girls kinda become... you know flirtyish and whatever. I think it's obvious not to mess around in high-school. I mean, it's okay to have a girlfriend or a boyfriend(maybe, maybe not. I dunno if you're gay or not. If you are, ignore people who hate on you), but don't take it too far.

AND NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER! lose who you are, LST.

I think that's it. Sorry if it's unorganized.

Last edited by Lily09; 06-13-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nngo View Post
Answering questions to the best of my ability:

You should act whatever you feel like. My best friend makes random noises she calls 'whale speak' which sounds like a coyote and constantly forgets what she's saying and goes 'what?' right after she says something like 'your voice sounds like two banshees on a skiing trip', and we're perfectly fine with it (mostly because we're the same way). (She also talks to random kindergarteners like she's known them her whole life - amazing.) It's fine being random, just not like, in the middle of when the teacher's talking and you stand up to announce that you use Write or Die or something. You don't really have to fit in to have friends.

It's probably difficult going into tenth grade after being homeschooled, but I don't think they'll treat you really differently. Then again, it's just what I think, but it's rather likely they’ll be friendly to you.
And if you can’t remember anything the teacher says, take notes. They help sometimes.
Even though it’s probably scary, I doubt you’ll have a nervous breakdown.

[IMG][/IMG]
Your friend is awesome. XD Yeah, I wouldn't just randomly say something while the teacher was talking. Generally, I'm respectful of authorityful people.

THAAAAANKS :^DDD
And Toy Story GIF. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily09 View Post
Mkay, first, be yourself, but don't be all spazzy and random like you are on KidPub. You could still be a little random, just don't attract attention. There's a good chance you'll be bullied for that(at least in middle school.) When you have good friends, you can be more spazzy and random and you-ish. SIT NEXT TO A FRIENDLY PERSON THAT IS SHY-ISH AND IS SITTING ALONE. Not creepy shy, but nice shy. This way, you won't have to interrupt convos since they are alone. Don't sit next to a really outgoing/bratty/mean person. Introduce yourself and say something along the lines of "Hi, I'm Isaac and I'm new. *smile, but NOT like this:*"
He/she might seem a little creeped out at first and give you a hesitant hello BUT THATS OKAY! Ask for that person's name. If he/she chooses not to respond or moves tables, or if he/she suddenly become rude, that's okay too. You might want to stop talking and start eating at lunch(don't bring something uber foreign and weird) DONT cry about it or beat yourself up about it.
IF THAT PERSON DOES DECIDE TO TALK TO YOU, and he/she introduce themselves, you may want to ask them to read their schedule to you, so you know if they have any classes with you.
At this point, it may get awkward, so start eating lunch! Or maybe it won't and they might want to talk about something else, so talk to them!
Don't ramble about Doctor Who, MCR, etc. too much or talk about random things. If they ask about favorite songs/movies/books/hobbies, you can tell them but do not go overboard about it.
And the writing/NaNo part? You can say that you like writing, too, but don't brag. And some people will think it's weird, or they will start ranting on how much writing sucks, but don't worry. There's going to be someone who loves writing as much as you.
For example, Chisato, my best friend who I persuaded to join KidPub, was praised by one of my teachers. I asked for her email so we could exchange stories, and now she's my best friend! So don't sweat it :]

Can't help you with homework (still in middle school)

In my middle school, there was like 3 or 4 physical fights and had blood, but that's because my school is in a really ghetto neighborhood with kids that care more about social lives/dating/fights rather than education.
OH, and about that homeschooling question, it may or not affect a person's view on you(positive or negative). You don't have to tell people until you're ready.
It's not bad, it might just be really awkward since a lot of other people already have friends.
If you're really nervous, DO NOT SKIP CLASS. Just ask the teacher to get a drink or put your head down for a bit( NOT FOR MORE THAN 3-5 MINUTES. The teacher may think you're sleeping and that's not good!) for about 30 seconds-a minute. Take deep breaths, but don't breathe too loudly.
YOU DONT HAVE TO REMEMBER EVERYTHING! Just try your best to focus :]

If you get lost, just ask a teacher or a friendly-looking person. WRITE YOUR LOCKER COMBO DOWN(MUST!MUST!MUST!)
I focused on people at lunch, and classes the rest of the day. People might tease you for being friends with the opposite gender, but ignore it.

Oh, don't give in to pure pressure like bullying people, drugs, and that stuff. As you get into high-school, girls kinda become... you know flirtyish and whatever. I think it's obvious not to mess around in high-school. I mean, it's okay to have a girlfriend or a boyfriend(maybe, maybe not. I dunno if you're gay or not. If you are, ignore people who hate on you), but don't take it too far.

AND NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER! lose who you are, LST.

I think that's it. Sorry if it's unorganized.
Ah, so there goes dying my hair, I guess. XD
Haha, whenever someone tells me I need to smile, that's kindaish how I smile. Except my forced smile is less creepy. Why shouldn't I sit next to a really outgoing person?
Do I just talk about, like, school or the classes or what? Or just things we both like?

Okay, that's good… I was mainly wondering if I'd be expected to, like, say what school I'm transferring from.
Like, lay my head on the desk? Deep breaths for the win. :P

I'm thinking I might write my locker combination on my arm or something, seeing as I manage to think I've lost my phone while I'm holding it xD

Thus far, I think peer pressure has had the effect of making me want to do the opposite… I plan to avoid all that stuff.

It doesn't seem very unorganised to me. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. Ish helpful
Old 06-13-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Ah, so there goes dying my hair, I guess. XD
Haha, whenever someone tells me I need to smile, that's kindaish how I smile. Except my forced smile is less creepy. Why shouldn't I sit next to a really outgoing person?
Do I just talk about, like, school or the classes or what? Or just things we both like?

Okay, that's good… I was mainly wondering if I'd be expected to, like, say what school I'm transferring from.
Like, lay my head on the desk? Deep breaths for the win. :P

I'm thinking I might write my locker combination on my arm or something, seeing as I manage to think I've lost my phone while I'm holding it xD

Thus far, I think peer pressure has had the effect of making me want to do the opposite… I plan to avoid all that stuff.

It doesn't seem very unorganised to me. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. Ish helpful
Well, you can sit to a nice outgoing person, I just meant not to sit next to OBNOXIOUS outgoing people.

Nevermind, don't put your head on the desk, you might get weird looks.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:59 PM

I know how you feel. I have a choice to stay home-schooled or go to public school. If I did go to public school then I would be just starting high school. But thinking about it makes me queasy. But at the same time I want to go. I am pretty shy, but once I get to know a person I don't care if I'm random or crazy. I don't know anybody there, and I don't know how it all works. I have been homeschooled all my life. It's just that when your homeschooled there is no one to hang out with. It sucks . But I don't know I am freaking out too. It's like I want to go but I don't. GRR!

But enough about me. I think you should just be yourself, be confident and don't try to be someone your not. If you want to hang out with someone, or find someone to be friends with try starting a conversation. Like if they have a t-shirt on with a band you like or something just be like, "you like that, me too" It's easier to find someone to be friends with when you have a similar interest or something to talk about.

Also about the whole class thing and getting mixed up, you can just ask someone if they know about it. You can probably even make friends doing that. Once they tell you, later you can be like, "oh yeah your whoever thanks for helping me".

Sometimes people who become friends later on, approach you. Like for me I don't think I have ever been the one to talk first to someone, they have usually like talked to me first and we become friends later on.

Also try not to stress about it to much, if you think you will have a nervous break down or something you might have it if you keep freaking out about it.

Also if the whole, 'friends with the opposite gender' thing doesn't have to be a big deal. If you don't let it bother you, it shouldn't. If people tease you or something, just ignore them. This is probably something you'll forget it 5 years. If you're worried about it and don't want too. Then just don't approach girls if it makes you uncomfortable. Although, some may approach you so that's a bit of a problem.

Also about the whole bulling thing. If you do have bullies or something that are physically hurting you, try taking defense classes or something. It's always a good thing to know. I do taekwondo and it helps me to know if something did happen then I can protect myself.

I know I can't be saying much because I am almost in the same situation as you, and I am shy too. I would probably freaking out too if I HAD to go. But I am just saying what seems like logical advice. So I do not think your over reacting because I would probably be doing the same thing. But I hope my little rant/advice could be of use. :3 And I hope everything turns out okay.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:

How bad is homework?

Ahhhhhhhh!! Okay. *clears throat*

About the 80 students in the grade thing, that's fine. Size doesn't really matter... the more students, the bigger a chance you have of finding someone you connect with. There are less than 70 students in my grade, but I've still managed to find a bunch of people who I like and a few others who I'm okay with, so you should be absolutely fine.

As other people have said, don't be TOO random. Once you know someone better, then you can be weird as you want, but when they don't know you, they'll probably be kind of creeped out because they don't know if this is your typical behavior and how to act about it. Don't poke fun at anyone; again, if you know them better it's fine, but even just a casual teasing that you would at a friend can make a stranger feel uncomfortable and that you really are making fun of them. Don't act like you're not a particular something you're not. I know when I came into public school everyone was talking about TV shows and stuff I had never seen, and when asked if I liked it I had to say something neutral, like, "Yeah, it's okay..." and then changed the subject. Talk to someone you have a class with, and it might seem totally natural just to walk to lunch with them. Again, when I went into public school, I met someone who was pretty new, too, and we started vaguely talking and ended up becoming best friends. So yeah... don't barge into a new crowd, start your own.

Homework shouldn't be so bad; at least, in the first few days all you should get are permission forms for your parents to sign and maybe just fun, easy worksheets (at least, that's what my school does). Movies and TV shows portray public school way different from what it really is; the teachers are usually very nice and the homework isn't that bad. But DON'T PROCRASTINATE, even if that's in your nature like it is in mine. Some schools offer a study hall, which can be awesome.

Bullying should NOT be that bad... if your school is anything like mine it's probably really cracking down on bullying, especially cyberbullying. Closest thing we had to a fistfight in my school was when two guys were fighting because Guy A liked Guy B's girlfriend and wouldn't back off, and since Guy B was wayyyyyy less buff than Guy A he started to walk away, and B grabbed him and slammed him back against the wall, like, "This isn't through." And then our science teacher immediately interjected because she's a ninja like that.

There's probably going to be more cyberbullying than physical. Stay away from mean people and if they try to cyberbully, tell them off and then ignore them, contact a parent if it gets too bad, etc. It should be fine.

As to introducing, I didn't have to, you might have a different school system. If you do, just say something like, "Hi, I'm Isaac, I was homeschooled until now [you don't have to say that!!], I'm 16, [fact of interest here... born in an interesting place, have sky-dived, whatever, haha]..." Stuff like that. Homeschooling shouldn't make a difference, one girl, when she found out I'd been homeschooled, was like "Oh, THAT'S why you're so smart!" and that was the end of it. Don't make it a big secret, but don't go blaring it out.

Being friends with the opposite gender... eh. It's different for guys than girls. If a girl is really good friends with the opposite gender (at least in my school), depending on the kind of friendship, she might be branded a h***er. Bad. With guys it's different; if you're like my brother and see nothing wrong with kind of flirting, it might come back to bite you in the butt. But if you don't like the girl, be kind of like... a brother. I'm friends with a few guys, but I treat them the way I treat my brother and it's all fine.

CALM DOWN. THIS WILL WORK.

I'm happy for you. I'm sure you're going to be glad you made this decision.

-Douglas Adams
Old 06-14-2012, 01:29 PM

"Be yourself, don't take anyone's sh*t, and never let them take you alive."

~Gerard Way

That kind of sums it up.

and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n
that if you talk enough sense, then you'll lose your mind

- I Found, by Amber Run

Tags
┻━┻ ︵╰(°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻, freaking out, sheldon is here alot, tags y u no have caps, the game