Quantcast Going to public school for the first time. *Insert freaking out* - Page 2 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Outside Life > School
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012, 01:34 PM

Don't worry. Be spazzy if you want. Even in a school where there are only 80 kids in a grade, there have to be some epic crazy kids like you. Just be friendly and open to other people, and you should get along fine.

Sorry, I'm not good at giving advice today. D:
Old 06-14-2012, 03:15 PM

Location: en route to Mordor, punching my father, Voldemort, in the nose for not liking my Father's Day gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleyJ View Post
I know how you feel. I have a choice to stay home-schooled or go to public school. If I did go to public school then I would be just starting high school. But thinking about it makes me queasy. But at the same time I want to go. I am pretty shy, but once I get to know a person I don't care if I'm random or crazy. I don't know anybody there, and I don't know how it all works. I have been homeschooled all my life. It's just that when your homeschooled there is no one to hang out with. It sucks :(. But I don't know I am freaking out too. It's like I want to go but I don't. GRR!

But enough about me. I think you should just be yourself, be confident and don't try to be someone your not. If you want to hang out with someone, or find someone to be friends with try starting a conversation. Like if they have a t-shirt on with a band you like or something just be like, "you like that, me too" It's easier to find someone to be friends with when you have a similar interest or something to talk about.

Also if the whole, 'friends with the opposite gender' thing doesn't have to be a big deal. If you don't let it bother you, it shouldn't. If people tease you or something, just ignore them. This is probably something you'll forget it 5 years. If you're worried about it and don't want too. Then just don't approach girls if it makes you uncomfortable. Although, some may approach you so that's a bit of a problem.

Also about the whole bulling thing. If you do have bullies or something that are physically hurting you, try taking defense classes or something. It's always a good thing to know. I do taekwondo and it helps me to know if something did happen then I can protect myself.

I know I can't be saying much because I am almost in the same situation as you, and I am shy too. I would probably freaking out too if I HAD to go. But I am just saying what seems like logical advice. So I do not think your over reacting because I would probably be doing the same thing. But I hope my little rant/advice could be of use. :3 And I hope everything turns out okay. :)
If you do go to public school, good luck! :D

Ish good idea. ^-^

I think that question was mainly me freaking out and spazzing. Honestly, I don't care much what other people think (unless they're friends). P:

Mreh, I think my mom might say if I'm worried about it enough to want to take classes I just shouldn't go to public school. XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieS View Post
Don't worry. Be spazzy if you want. Even in a school where there are only 80 kids in a grade, there have to be some epic crazy kids like you. Just be friendly and open to other people, and you should get along fine.

Sorry, I'm not good at giving advice today. D:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgebraAddict View Post
"Be yourself, don't take anyone's sh*t, and never let them take you alive."

~Gerard Way

That kind of sums it up. :p
*Thumbs up* *Double thumbs up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabiDi View Post
Ahhhhhhhh!! Okay. *clears throat*

About the 80 students in the grade thing, that's fine. Size doesn't really matter... the more students, the bigger a chance you have of finding someone you connect with. There are less than 70 students in my grade, but I've still managed to find a bunch of people who I like and a few others who I'm okay with, so you should be absolutely fine.

As other people have said, don't be TOO random. Once you know someone better, then you can be weird as you want, but when they don't know you, they'll probably be kind of creeped out because they don't know if this is your typical behavior and how to act about it. Don't poke fun at anyone; again, if you know them better it's fine, but even just a casual teasing that you would at a friend can make a stranger feel uncomfortable and that you really are making fun of them. Don't act like you're not a particular something you're not. I know when I came into public school everyone was talking about TV shows and stuff I had never seen, and when asked if I liked it I had to say something neutral, like, "Yeah, it's okay..." and then changed the subject. Talk to someone you have a class with, and it might seem totally natural just to walk to lunch with them. Again, when I went into public school, I met someone who was pretty new, too, and we started vaguely talking and ended up becoming best friends. So yeah... don't barge into a new crowd, start your own.

Bullying should NOT be that bad... if your school is anything like mine it's probably really cracking down on bullying, especially cyberbullying. Closest thing we had to a fistfight in my school was when two guys were fighting because Guy A liked Guy B's girlfriend and wouldn't back off, and since Guy B was wayyyyyy less buff than Guy A he started to walk away, and B grabbed him and slammed him back against the wall, like, "This isn't through." And then our science teacher immediately interjected because she's a ninja like that.

There's probably going to be more cyberbullying than physical. Stay away from mean people and if they try to cyberbully, tell them off and then ignore them, contact a parent if it gets too bad, etc. It should be fine.

As to introducing, I didn't have to, you might have a different school system. If you do, just say something like, "Hi, I'm Isaac, I was homeschooled until now [you don't have to say that!!], I'm 16, [fact of interest here... born in an interesting place, have sky-dived, whatever, haha]..." Stuff like that. Homeschooling shouldn't make a difference, one girl, when she found out I'd been homeschooled, was like "Oh, THAT'S why you're so smart!" and that was the end of it. Don't make it a big secret, but don't go blaring it out.

Being friends with the opposite gender... eh. It's different for guys than girls. If a girl is really good friends with the opposite gender (at least in my school), depending on the kind of friendship, she might be branded a h***er. Bad. With guys it's different; if you're like my brother and see nothing wrong with kind of flirting, it might come back to bite you in the butt. But if you don't like the girl, be kind of like... a brother. I'm friends with a few guys, but I treat them the way I treat my brother and it's all fine.

CALM DOWN. THIS WILL WORK.

I'm happy for you. I'm sure you're going to be glad you made this decision. :D
Okay, that's good. :3

Wait, just say I've never seen it/I'm not big on TV?

*Hopes the school I'm going to is like that*

That was my plan, not making a big deal out of it. ^-^ *Thinks* Meh. My life is boring. XD

THANK YOUUUU. :DDD

My replies feel short. xD
Old 06-14-2012, 06:38 PM

You'll be fine. Try to find someone like yourself. Don't go leaping through the hallways saying, "HI!"
Meh, I have bad advice. Just relax, don't act too nervous even of you are (I couldn't find my classroom when I was P.1).
Old 06-14-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.S.Trendom View Post
(Not sure whether this should go in Free Advice or School.)

http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/showthread.php?t=448 < That's kinda my inspiration. XD This is going to be half rant/major freak out, half asking for advice, probably. .-.

And if this sounds too calm, just imagine me doing this throughout the post:

(I don't do exclamation marks. >_>)

So, blah, been homeschooled all my life. This coming school year (it starts August, 2012), I'm going to public school for the first time. Tenth grade. High school. It's small, about three hundred students total, about eighty students in my grade. Is that good or bad? How hard will it be to find people with similar interests/people I'd want to be friends with? What if I don't really fit in with anyone? And I don't know anyone who goes to that school, so it's not like I could just hang out with them.
How should I act? Like… spazzyish and random? That's about as outgoing as I get… Do I just, like, sit next to someone during lunch or something and talk to them to try making friends? What if they're talking with other people? I'M NOT VERY GOOD AT SMALL TALK. Will I weird people out if I ramble about books and Doctor Who and memes and quote them and reference them and say random things (random like the Llama Song is random)?! Or mention that I write or that I've done NaNoWriMo?!
How bad is homework?
Is physical bullying/violence, in general, much of a problem? Is it very common?
Do you, like, have to introduce yourself if you're a new student at the beginning of the year? Would think much differently of me if they knew I'd been homeschooled?
Is it that bad that I'm going into public school for the first time at the start of tenth grade instead of the start of high school/ninth grade?!
What if I feel like too much of a failure to be around people in the middle of the day?! *Would make that sentence in all caps but would find it irritating*
WHAT IF I CAN'T REMEMBER A BLOODY THING THE TEACHERS SAY?!

Aaaand, to steal DE's questions:
Who do I ask for help if I'm lost/need to get to class but don't know where the class is, or forget my locker combination? I'm terrible at finding places, generally. On the first day(s), do you focus on classes or getting to know people? Regarding "if you're friends with someone of the opposite gender everyone thinks that you're going out", does it matter much? What if you're friends with multiple people of the opposite gender?
I found the student handbook, it has a map, I could probably put that on my phone or print it out…
Anything else I should really know?

WHAT IF I'M UNABLE TO PROPERLY FREAK OUT UNTIL LIKE THE DAY BEFORE AND THEN I HAVE A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN?!?!?! WHAT IF I'M ABOUT TO HAVE A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SCHOOL DAY?!

Meh. For the most part, I don't sound properly freaked out at the moment. But I was an hour and a half ago!

This will probably have a lot of posts from me by the time the school year starts. ._. HUMOUR MY NERVOUS SPAZZY FREAKING OUT.

(P.S. The Sheldon and the background around him is moving, but nothing else is and it's kinda weird D: )

If you think you sound calm, what are you like when you think its the end of the world?

1. Small and large schools have advantages and disadvantages. In a small school, you'll know everybody. It's friendlier and you're not passing random strangers in the halls like I do at my 1300 kid middle school. However, rumors spread faster.
2. Take electives that interest you, like a writing course or such. Or, do clubs after school to find people that share your interests.
3. You'll fit in somewhere with some group of people. I'm outside the popularity spectrum with equally minded friends. There are wayyyy more groups than the jocks, preps, goths, ect.
4. Act like you normally are. Not your online persona, unless that really is you. If you are usually shy (though I can't imagine that you would be), don't talk 24/7, else people will either think you're annoying or be in a group that never shuts up.
5. I'm thinking about how I met my current friends... We usually just happen to sit next to each other, in the same classes or ended up on the same sports team. It's called propinquity, that you will most likely develop relationships with the people in close proximity with each other. My advice: Ask people for a pencil or what the homework was. Or, compliment them. (I love your binder cover.)
6. Don't mention that you do NaNoWriMo or are on a writing website unless the topic or something similar comes up. People will think you are psycho (Doesn't make sense, because writers... Actually, that's somewhat true of all writers, but that's not the point.)
7. Homework depends on the school and the classes you're taking.
8. Physical bullying, in a medium income area, isn't very common. Only a small fraction of guys engage in fistfights. Nonetheless, they become a school's top news story very quickly. You don't have to get involved in fights.
9. Since you go to a smaller school, some people may recognize that you are new, but very rarely do teachers pull out new to the school students and have them tell the class about where they are from. It has never happened in any one of my classes (usually the teacher just says, "This is Joe. Come sit by Jane.")
10. When you're a freshman, everyone else is new in your grade, except for the boon-boon kids (my school's slang for dumb kids). But, in tenth grade, a new student won't be ridiculed as much as a weird ninth grader. You're just in the middle.
11. You will remember what the teachers are saying. It's not the Peanuts/Charlie Brown. They don't say 'blah, blah, blah.' Plus, you take notes.

You will most likely have an open house, where you can meet the teachers, find room numbers, see who is in your classes, walk through your schedule, ect. It isn't hard to get lost in MY SCHOOL, and my school has thirteen hundred kids in it! You won't get lost.

Keep a planner, to write down your homework.

Good luck!
will keep on fighting till the end
i
can walk on water
i
can fly
i
will keep on fighting till
i
die
Old 06-14-2012, 07:19 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to MaggieMay
Thumbs up

RELAX.

I'm just entering middle school, but I've been going to a public elementary school. I have no clue what high school's like, but I know enough to say everything that you're thinking is an OVERREACTION. There's at least one person who will be like you, I can guarantee that. And there will also be other new students, so I'm pretty sure you won't be a loner And if things DO get really bad (which, I'm TELLING you, you're gonna be FINE) you always have everyone on KP to talk to.

You WILL NOT forget everything the teachers say, trust me on that. They'll give you homework, sure, but nothing you can't handle. And be yourself in school--if people don't like you for who you are, then they aren't worth being your friend.

I hope my little rant helped. I'll be going through a new experience too (7th grade, my first year of middle school *SQUEE!*) and I'm actually really excited. Trust me on all of this, and you'll be fine Good luck!!!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:50 PM

Location: en route to Mordor, punching my father, Voldemort, in the nose for not liking my Father's Day gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieMay View Post
RELAX.

I'm just entering middle school, but I've been going to a public elementary school. I have no clue what high school's like, but I know enough to say everything that you're thinking is an OVERREACTION. There's at least one person who will be like you, I can guarantee that. And there will also be other new students, so I'm pretty sure you won't be a loner And if things DO get really bad (which, I'm TELLING you, you're gonna be FINE) you always have everyone on KP to talk to.

You WILL NOT forget everything the teachers say, trust me on that. They'll give you homework, sure, but nothing you can't handle. And be yourself in school--if people don't like you for who you are, then they aren't worth being your friend.

I hope my little rant helped. I'll be going through a new experience too (7th grade, my first year of middle school *SQUEE!*) and I'm actually really excited. Trust me on all of this, and you'll be fine Good luck!!!
I reckon if I overreact now, hopefully I won't overreact later. XD

Hopefully my memory will decide what the teacher says is as important as random bits of useless information.

Thanks. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistborn View Post
If you think you sound calm, what are you like when you think its the end of the world?

1. Small and large schools have advantages and disadvantages. In a small school, you'll know everybody. It's friendlier and you're not passing random strangers in the halls like I do at my 1300 kid middle school. However, rumors spread faster.
2. Take electives that interest you, like a writing course or such. Or, do clubs after school to find people that share your interests.
3. You'll fit in somewhere with some group of people. I'm outside the popularity spectrum with equally minded friends. There are wayyyy more groups than the jocks, preps, goths, ect.
4. Act like you normally are. Not your online persona, unless that really is you. If you are usually shy (though I can't imagine that you would be), don't talk 24/7, else people will either think you're annoying or be in a group that never shuts up.
5. I'm thinking about how I met my current friends... We usually just happen to sit next to each other, in the same classes or ended up on the same sports team. It's called propinquity, that you will most likely develop relationships with the people in close proximity with each other. My advice: Ask people for a pencil or what the homework was. Or, compliment them. (I love your binder cover.)
6. Don't mention that you do NaNoWriMo or are on a writing website unless the topic or something similar comes up. People will think you are psycho (Doesn't make sense, because writers... Actually, that's somewhat true of all writers, but that's not the point.)
7. Homework depends on the school and the classes you're taking.
8. Physical bullying, in a medium income area, isn't very common. Only a small fraction of guys engage in fistfights. Nonetheless, they become a school's top news story very quickly. You don't have to get involved in fights.
9. Since you go to a smaller school, some people may recognize that you are new, but very rarely do teachers pull out new to the school students and have them tell the class about where they are from. It has never happened in any one of my classes (usually the teacher just says, "This is Joe. Come sit by Jane.")
10. When you're a freshman, everyone else is new in your grade, except for the boon-boon kids (my school's slang for dumb kids). But, in tenth grade, a new student won't be ridiculed as much as a weird ninth grader. You're just in the middle.
11. You will remember what the teachers are saying. It's not the Peanuts/Charlie Brown. They don't say 'blah, blah, blah.' Plus, you take notes.

You will most likely have an open house, where you can meet the teachers, find room numbers, see who is in your classes, walk through your schedule, ect. It isn't hard to get lost in MY SCHOOL, and my school has thirteen hundred kids in it! You won't get lost.

Keep a planner, to write down your homework.

Good luck!
Well… I didn't really write that post linearly. XD It was calmer and had, like, one exclamation mark when I originally added that.
And it would probably be along the lines of, "Oh god ._."

2. Mreh, the electives that interest me aren't available until 11th grade, I think. -_-
4. In real life I'm basically the same, except more shy and less talkative. Also, I'm less superhuman: I can't fly or survive being thrown through walls or being shot with a bazooka. :^/

I think you underestimate my ability to get lost. XD Though, when I walked through the school once, it didn't seem like it would be that hard to stay un-lost…

Old 07-04-2012, 01:53 PM

I assure you, high school really isn't as scary as people seem to think it is. I just completed ninth grade in a school with 2,000 fellow students, and I made it out unscathed. I had it easier, since I knew a lot of people already from elementary and middle school, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

1) Just wear something that makes you feel good and shows your personality, like a Dr. Who tshirt or something. That will help attract the right people. :3 I've never been in the position of being the new person, but I will be next year and I'm actually planning to sew a zombie Bulbasaur dress this summer and wear that to school the first day x3

2) Homework depends on the teacher. Some wield it like a weapon, some are awesome and have a no homework policy. It also depends on if you're taking honors classes and/or a foreign language. The teacher will usually give you a sheet that tells you their homework policy at the beginning of the year. If they don't, then ask them how bad the homework will be.

3) Depends on the school. Some are worse than others, especially towards the city. Bullying you'll find anywhere, but if you do have a problem with it you can tell your teacher or guidance counselor and they'll take care of it for you. Violence... well, since you're going to a really small school it probably won't be a problem. My experience was that it was actually usually girls having a catfight and it was broken up pretty quickly.

4) Depends on the teacher, some have everyone stand up and introduce themselves, some don't. It's usually a pretty good way to see who you would like to get to know, anyway, since everyone in the room has to do it and usually tell about their hobies or something they did that summer. My Plant Science teacher had us do Two Truths One Lie, which was pretty fun.

5) It's really not that big a deal. You'll be just fine by a month in.

6) You're not a failure and you shouldn't feel like one.

7) That's what taking notes is for, dear.

8) Between classes, there will be tons of people in the halls. Stop an adult and show them yur schedule, and they'll help. There'll probably be an open house in the summer before school starts, where you can meet your teachers and figure out where all the classrooms are. You can also have your parents schedule a private tour with the principal or something if there isn't an open house.

9) Definitely getting to know people. First day all you'll be doing is getting important papers and introducing yourself.

10) It's perfectly alright to have friends of the opposite gender. I got pestered more about it in elementary school than in high school. If someone asks, just say no, give them a funny look, and get on with your life.

11) If you feel a nervous breakdown coming on, head to the bathroom, tell yourself it'll be okay, quietly flip out, then rejoin the student population.

Always remember, you have as much of a right to be there as anyone else. It'll be okay. High school really isn't all that scary. Promise. :3 Hope I helped! Good luck!
Old 07-04-2012, 05:58 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to lvhamsters

I'm pretty much in the same situation as you, with going to a public school the first time, and to high school. But one thing I do know, is as the others have said, be yourself.
And if your worried about not finding your way around, if the high school is still open towards the end of summer break, go to the high school with your schedule and find out what route your taking to your classes.
Sorry I don't have much advice. I have no clue what else to do -_-

When we were young we used to say

That you only hear the music when your hearts begin to break

Now we are the kids from yesterday
Old 07-04-2012, 11:31 PM

You don't have to be too spazzy and random. In fact, for the first few months of the school year, I just kept to myself and rarely spoke, and I got along just fine. There were some nice people in my classes who became my friends, and once I befriended them, I too started being extremely random (the way you should know me now). But don't let friendships get in the way of schoolwork! You can also try out for sports, which are a lot of fun but pretty time-consuming. I think the worst part of school is staying organized. My school provides planners to keep track of assignments, but if yours doesn't, then you can get one from the store or use a notebook.

Um... that's all I've gotta say....
Old 08-09-2012, 09:51 PM

You're going into public school?

You'll be fine. (: Don't worry. To answer your questions-

8o students can be good or bad, depending on how you interpret it. Everyone will probably be kind of close since it sounds like a smaller school, which could be bad. But I'm sure you'll be fine, and a smaller school is probably better since it won't overwhelm you as much. (: It should be easy to find people you want to be friends with/people who share your interests. Just start a conversation like "Hi." Gradually ease into stuff like "do you like to write?" and stuff like that. (: I'm sure you'll find someone who would love to be friends with you/will appreciate you for you. And about the not knowing anyone- I've been through that before. But honestly, I think it's a lot easier not to know anyone than to lose a best friend close to you and stay at the same school. Think of it as an adventure- someone exactly like you could go to the school, and they're waiting for you to come and be their friend. (that sounds a little creepy, but you get the point. XD)

Don't act spazzy and random at first. Once you get to know someone, then you can start being random. (: That's exactly what I did when I met my best friend. I acted normal until I got to know her, and now we're like, always insane around each other. XD You'll know when the time to be spazzy and random comes, which will be soon. (: Yes, maybe if you have a class with someone who seems nice, ask if you could sit next to them at lunch. Be wary about just sitting anywhere, because there are the populars in every school who have their designated 'table' that no one else can sit at until you get initiated into the group, which happens very rarely. Maybe ask someone if you can sit with them before actually sitting down. (: Don't worry, you'll be fine. I'm not very good with small talk either, but just a simple "Hi, what's your name?" will work to get to know people better. (: You probably shouldn't talk about Doctor Who and random stuff until you get to know the person better, but I would suggest saying you like to write. You might find that they like to write too, and often common interests help to bring people together. (:

Homework isn't bad. Especially in the first few days. If your school is anything like mine, you won't be doing much of anything for the first few days. Like Gabi said, you'll probably get parent permission forms and fun worksheets. You'll also probably do activies in class that helps the teacher get to know you better (i.e, asking what you did over the summer (always have at least one thing prepared for that answer XD) and asking your name and stuff like that.) You might do a little work on the first day though- for example, last year on my first day of seventh grade in Reading class, we had to interview another person in the class and ask their favorite stuff and then combine all of that into a paragraph that we read in front of the class. But as the year progresses, homework shouldn't be too bad. You will have busy days when it seems like every class has give homework, but you'll also have days when you barely get any at all. If you get big projects, don't procrastinate. Get them done as soon as possible and get them out of the way, which is what I like to do. You may get a study hall (my school does) in which you'll be able to work on any homework.

Physical bullying/violence depends on the school. Usually there isn't much of all. Like at my school there's an occasional fight, but it's not too common. Usually the principal/teachers deal with that pretty well.

If you're a new student, either the teacher will introduce you or you'll have to introduce yourself. Most often the teacher introduces you, and possibly will ask what school you've came from before.

Going into public school at the start of tenth grade should be fine. Everyone's still getting used to high school courses and new classes, just like a new grade. You'll have to adjust to high-school- I personally, haven't been there yet, but there's lots of new classes and more freedom.

If you forget something a teacher says, simply ask them about the material after classes. Teachers are there to help you, and if you have a question, don't be afraid to ask. If you want, taking notes can help. (: Trust me, you won't forget everything they say. Just pay attention and you'll be fine.

As for who to ask for help, ask a teacher. You can ask another person in your grade, but you have to be careful who you ask because some kids can be mean. Not all, but some. For your locker, ask a teacher. Don't trust anyone with your combination until you get to know people.

On the first day, focus on both classes and getting to know people. Like focus on when your classes are and how you can easily get there from your previous class and rules and such and to the teacher. But you'll also want to get to know some people who can help you out throughout the year.

Oh, friends with the opposite gender. You have to be...careful with this. In my school people can't be 'friends' with the opposite gender. People will start asking if you're going out and it can get quite annoying. Also it seems in my school that people of the opposite gender can't be just 'friends' for long. Soon they'll start going out. Dating is a common thing in my school, and grade, but it can be waaaaaaaay overrated. XD And it gets annoying when people keep asking questions. But if you want to, go ahead. It won't make much of a difference one way or the other if you can stand people asking you if your dating. :P You can have multiple friends of the opposite gender- many people do.

If you want to, print the map out. I wouldn't suggest putting it on your phone, because I don't know about your school, but my school does NOT like to see people having their phones out. XD

Just pay attention in class, do extra credit if you can, be friendly and talk with people. Find people with common interests. (: You'll be fine, don't worry. Public school really isn't that bad.

And don't freakout. Take deep breaths. (: Everything will be FINE.

Good luck! When's your first day of school? (:

No more dreaming like a girl, like a girl so in love...with the wrong world.

Snow White's stitching up the circuitboard...

inside of me.

-quote on dA

Tags
┻━┻ ︵╰(°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻, freaking out, sheldon is here alot, tags y u no have caps, the game