Quantcast Ah.. Some help needed here...About, well, Religion - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Outside Life > Free advice
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2011, 01:42 AM

Default Ah.. Some help needed here...About, well, Religion

Yeah, religion.

LJM, who's signature says she's basically atheist is asking about religion.

Okay, so, I read this book. Fiction, but, it got me thinking. Is there really a God? Will praying make me... Happy? Will believing in God make my problems seem.. Smaller? Less important?

Things are really hard for me right now, and my family is in chaos, and I'm just little sparks of confused emotion that just seem to make everything worse. My mom, my dad, and my bother don't believe in God, but... I'm not sure about myself.

Is God real?
And... can I trust Him to really love me, not say He does and then turn back on me? That's what I feel my family's doing to me and, I need somebody who really cares about me. Anyone. I don't care who at this point.

queer power, queer pride.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:02 AM

Location: en route to Mordor, punching my father, Voldemort, in the nose for not liking my Father's Day gift

If God was God, then what would be the point of lying to you? He could make you and everyone else believe in Him totally, and believe whatever He wanted. Plus, assuming He wasn't lying to everyone, why just you/a few people? Personally, I don't see any reason for Him to lie to you about it.

We do really care about you. :^)

I hope that was at least semihelpful and not annoying or anything… I need to go to bed anyway.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:17 AM

I believe in God, and that He loves you, Lily.
I have this whole long speech thing about why I believe what I do, but the thing is, whatever I, your family, or anyone else believes, what you believe is something that you're going to decide for yourself.
Even so, I'd be happy to discuss with you what and why I believe, but I don't wanna just go into rant mode on you or anything so yeah ;p
I don't believe that believeing in God is going to make your life magically perfect or anything. Say you start praying. Things around you might get a lot better, or worse, or stay the same. With my religion, a relationship with God is basically supposed to go God takes you as you are, no requirements, and then makes you better with your cooperation. The situation around you might get worse, but God will help you deal with it if you let Him.
It's also my opinion that you should search out the truth for its own sake. Certain beliefs, for or against the existence of God, will make you feel good in certain situations. Then there will come times when they will not. When you know the truth, it can shine through the emotions. When a belief is based on emotions it won't stand. That's not to say emotions are always bad or anything, but they can turn on a dime. And there are many ways of searching for truth, all of which have flaws that lead to incorrect conclusions... I could keep going but I think this post is getting overwhelming
So that's what I believe and if you want me to, I'll go on.

I want to second what LST said; I care, whatever questions you have or whatever conclusions you come to.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:26 AM

People I talk to are always saying how He loves me, but, let's give this scenario.

There's a kid. He knows about God, but he decides not to believe in Him.
He's only 13 when he dies in a horrible accident. Now, he's going to hell, right?

What I'm trying to say, is that God is cruel. He can be very cruel. God kills waay more people in the Bible than the Devil does. But of course, all those deaths are the Devil's fault, right?

And.. Random question... What's all this about capitalizing Him and He when we talk about God? What's the point?

Old 09-01-2011, 11:24 AM

Hmm, interesting questions.

I personally believe, and so does my church, that there is no "percentage" of good and bad sins. You can be evil your whole life and have one moment on your deathbed of repentance, and you can go to heaven.

Praying will make you feel better, and God will help you. I know, because he has helped me. And then believing will bring something different into your life. It's called peace. When I look at a devoted and holy Christian, I see peace. Nothing can disturb him, nothing can provoke him. And I love that. I want to be like that.

God doesn't randomly kill people. It seems like it, I know. Think of it this way, if you were a mighty ruler, and you had a huge foe that tried to overturn your kingdom, what would you do if half your people were possessed with this huge foe. You would get rid of them so that all your people didn't turn against you and die. God gets angry sometimes, but he never hates anyone. He is love, and when a city or a person become so evil they would be better off dead, he lets them die.

I'm not trying to really pressure you, Lily, but just think about it. Maybe go to a church, talk to someone, just get involved. And choose a type of Christian, like a mormon, baptist, lutheran, catholic, or whatever. I choose Eastern Orthodoxy because it is the original and unchanged practice of the early christians. Go for it, Lily. Just try believing.

Sorry for my long posts.

and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n
that if you talk enough sense, then you'll lose your mind

- I Found, by Amber Run
Old 09-01-2011, 06:51 PM

Location: Tulsa with the gang, hanging out at the Admiral and rumbling with the south side socs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
People I talk to are always saying how He loves me, but, let's give this scenario.

He's only 13 when he dies in a horrible accident. Now, he's going to hell, right?

What I'm trying to say, is that God is cruel. He can be very cruel. God kills waay more people in the Bible than the Devil does. But of course, all those deaths are the Devil's fault, right?

And.. Random question... What's all this about capitalizing Him and He when we talk about God? What's the point?
God gives us a choice, and in theory, if that 13 year old boy chose not to believe in God, and then died in an accident, then yes he's going to hell. It can seem cruel, but in the end, it's not God's fault, it's ours, for making the wrong choice.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean View Post
God gives us a choice, and in theory, if that 13 year old boy chose not to believe in God, and then died in an accident, then yes he's going to hell. It can seem cruel, but in the end, it's not God's fault, it's ours, for making the wrong choice.
The boy chose not to believe in God let's say because.. He was raised that way. There was no way he could become Christian without the disapproval of his family. But he still goes to Hell.

And, why is there only one God? Why not have several gods? What makes Him the all knowing-powerful person? Why does he deserve that?

Old 06-02-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean View Post
I know this is way back in the thread, but here is my opinon on this. Just because it makes me so mad that you would even say he was going to hell.

One, we don't know if he is going to heaven or hell only God knows. We don't have the right to judge if he is going to hell. And two I don't believe he would go to hell, I think when your young you can't be sure about your decision so I don't think he would go to hell. When your young sometimes you don't even think about religion or God yet, sometimes we are just to young to even know or care about it. So I don't think God would be that cruel as to say he would go to hell just because he didn't think about it yet.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
You capitalize He and Him and God because God is the master of creation, divine, and He is our Lord so you capitalize it. That's that best reason I can give.

As for you....well, I myself am a little confused. I believe a God does exist in Heaven. But sometimes I get confused. I think there's something more to it. I don't go to church or anything, but I do believe in my heart there is a God.

You should believe what YOU want to believe. You can never let someone else pressure you into believing something other than what you believe.

But if you want to see, experience, just try it out. Pray to God and ask Him for a sign to show you He is real. You see, (and this is a true story; no lie) this one man talked to a woman about God. The next day, he found out that the woman had died or something. But in his head, he heard Him say that "She's with Me."

I'm not pressuring you or anything, because I myself am a little confused on religion.

No more dreaming like a girl, like a girl so in love...with the wrong world.

Snow White's stitching up the circuitboard...

inside of me.

-quote on dA
Old 01-06-2012, 10:58 PM
Caleigh

God is not evil. Evil is just the absence of God. Like there is no such thing as dark, just the absence of light. I read that in a story called God vs. Science. I think maybe you should read it.

Quote:

Tags
i beg to differ, those schillings are mine