forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Writing > Never Ending Stories
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2013, 08:44 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to TheMoonWakedWolf

"Dude, you sure? I mean, if you've got a sore throat for auditions…"

*riley is a ditz*
Old 08-17-2013, 01:47 PM

Cat chuckled and grinned. "Sure, call me kitty!" She said. Timmy frowned and leaned in, causing Gus' elbow to falter.
"Hey you never let me call you kitty." He said, with a slight smirk on his face.
"That's 'cause you never asked, dummy! But if you want to that badly, you can call me kitty, too Timmy. M'kay?"
Timmy smiled and leaned back again so Gus could once again rest his elbow on his shoulder. "Good. By the way, does anybody have the time?"
Cat, or Kitty, pulled out her phone and checked the time.
"Hoooooly crap it's two thirty." She said, keeping her eyes on the phone screen. Again, butterflies flew around like a swarm in her tummy.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:51 PM

*I'm going to post, but before I do, how are we doing auditions?
I haven't been to many, but I feel like we should do it like this:

1. Singing Audition - Everyone goes into the auditorium and the kids come on the stage one at a time and sing part of a song they've already chosen.

2. Then they go off somewhere else and do a dance audition with the choreographer. (Even though there isn't much dancing in ITW.)

3. After everyone's finished the dance audition, they all come back into the auditorium and do the acting audition, where the director calls up small groups of people and they read lines.

4. Call-backs for different parts. This doesn't have to be right after the auditions, this could be the next day or something. The director could post a list of call-backs, with a few people for each character. Then those people come back in and sing some of the solos and read some more lines.

Everyone cool with this, or do you want to change something? Also, before we start with the singing audition, everyone in the auditorium should fill out a form with stuff like what their singing range is (soprano, alto, tenor, baritone, etc.) and their acting experience.

And everyone who's in stage crew can just watch the auditions or just not come to the auditions or whatever.*
Old 08-17-2013, 03:06 PM

"Alright, get on out."

Alice looked up from her book -- The Phantom of the Opera, the original book written by Gaston Leroux in 1909 -- and grinned. Just outside the window were baby blue gates, arching above the entryway and forming the words Dramatics in Musical Theatrics. She thought the camp's name was perfect. "Dramatics in Musical Theatrics," she muttered to herself.

Max snorted from the passenger seat. "It sounds like a college course."

Their mother glared at them before Alice could even open her mouth. "Don't start arguing already." She turned around and smiled back at Alice. "I want you two to have a great time, alright? Make new friends. Learn something new. And don't kill each other."

"I'll try to hold myself back," Max said as he kicked his door open.

Alice leaned forward and kissed her mom on the cheek. "I'll miss you," she murmured as she grabbed her duffel bag.

Her mom laughed. "It'll go by in the blink of an eye, so don't waste it being homesick."

Alice and Max stepped out of the car onto the sidewalk, Alice holding her duffel bag and Max slinging a backpack over his shoulder. Out of the back seat Alice pulled out their suitcases: a small, zebra-striped one for Alice and a huge, black one for Max. Max kicked the side door shut and Alice let hers close on its own.

"Bye, mom," they said in unison, already turning away.

Their mother smiled and said goodbye as well, before speeding away and leaving the twins in a mob of teenagers, streaming into the camp's grounds.

Max grabbed his suitcase and started forward as Alice struggled to keep control of her duffel and suitcase at the same time. "This better be worth it," he muttered under his breath, eying the throng of excited girls and some even more excited boys streaming past him.

"Shut up," Alice said, brushing her chocolate hair back behind her ear and marching up next to him. "You're going to love it." She clutched her book toward her chest and streamed forward, a grin of excitement already spreading across her face.

Too tired to argue, Max sighed and followed behind her.

*I'll continue later, but if someone sees the two of them together, they should think they're boyfriend and girlfriend, and Alice and Max will get super annoyed. XD*
Old 08-17-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieS View Post
*I'm going to post, but before I do, how are we doing auditions?
I haven't been to many, but I feel like we should do it like this:

1. Singing Audition - Everyone goes into the auditorium and the kids come on the stage one at a time and sing part of a song they've already chosen.

2. Then they go off somewhere else and do a dance audition with the choreographer. (Even though there isn't much dancing in ITW.)

3. After everyone's finished the dance audition, they all come back into the auditorium and do the acting audition, where the director calls up small groups of people and they read lines.

4. Call-backs for different parts. This doesn't have to be right after the auditions, this could be the next day or something. The director could post a list of call-backs, with a few people for each character. Then those people come back in and sing some of the solos and read some more lines.

Everyone cool with this, or do you want to change something? Also, before we start with the singing audition, everyone in the auditorium should fill out a form with stuff like what their singing range is (soprano, alto, tenor, baritone, etc.) and their acting experience.

And everyone who's in stage crew can just watch the auditions or just not come to the auditions or whatever.*
*How about you can't sing a song from ITW because that's often how auditions work. So for the singing auditions, the people will come up and sing 16 bars (or 32 bars... how many are at this camp?) of a song NOT from ITW*
Old 08-18-2013, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaR View Post
*How about you can't sing a song from ITW because that's often how auditions work. So for the singing auditions, the people will come up and sing 16 bars (or 32 bars... how many are at this camp?) of a song NOT from ITW*
*Seeing as I understood like this much of what you said: how about people sing a five minute piece of song NOT from ITW.*
greatly exaggerated.
-- Mark Twain
Old 08-18-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph-soph27 View Post
*Seeing as I understood like this much of what you said: how about people sing a five minute piece of song NOT from ITW.*
*A five minute piece? Jeez! If YOU were the director, would YOU want to listen to each kid sing for 5 minutes? No way. 16 bars is generally what they do. But to make it easier, the director can just say they need to sing a song that's not from ITW, and the director will just cut each person off when they've heard enough.*
Old 08-18-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
*A five minute piece? Jeez! If YOU were the director, would YOU want to listen to each kid sing for 5 minutes? No way. 16 bars is generally what they do. But to make it easier, the director can just say they need to sing a song that's not from ITW, and the director will just cut each person off when they've heard enough.*
Everyone seemed to be heading toward a large building in the middle of the grounds, and the twins followed the mob. The building was built like a school, and they followed the rest of the campers through the double doors, into a hallway that led to another pair of doors. Through these the entered a huge auditorium, with plush red seats and an enormous, beautiful stage.

Alice gasped and pulled her suitcase behind her in awe. "This is even bigger than at school," she muttered.

The campers filed toward the front, and filled in the first rows of seats with their suitcases and bags at their feet. Alice sat down in the empty second row, and Max dropped down into the seat next to her. Everyone seemed to be chatting and making new friends.

Leaning back in the seat, Alice smiled. "So what do you think?" she asked, grinning and checking Max's face for his reaction.

Max was looking around at all the different teens. "Well," he started, "I don't have much to base it off of, but-"

"SO, HOW ARE YOU KIDS?"

Everyone's eyes darted to the pit, where a woman stood with a clipboard. "I'm Anne, your director. And this year in Dramatics for Musical Theatrics we're going to be working on..." She paused and Alice's heart raced as show titles ran through her head. Les Misérables, The Phantom of the Opera, Little Shop of Horrors, Oklahoma, Annie...

"INTO THE WOODS!"

Alice grabbed her brother's arm and covered her mouth to keep from screaming as she kicked her legs with excitement. "Ohmigawd Max, I know every word to Into the Woods. Ohmigawd I have to be Cinderella, I am so going to be Cinderella!"

She stared at him, waiting for him to squeal and cheer with her, but Max just blinked and said, "That's the one with the cow, right?"

Alice rolled her eyes and turned away. "You're an idiot."

*The director was still smiling at all the campers from the pit. "Let's make a circle, and go around and introduce ourselves," she shouted as the excitement began to die down. "Here are some pamphlets that describe ITW if you haven't heard of it. We'll proceed promptly to auditions afterwards."

Alice snatched up a pamphlet that was passed to her as everyone made their way to the pit. "Read this, idiot," she said, shoving it in her brother's face but proceeding to tell him all about it. "Into the Woods is a Sondheim musical that opened on Broadway in 1987 and it takes a lot of different fairy tales and weaves them together into an incredible musical with the central plot of a baker and his wife who are trying to have a kid but they can't because a witch cursed them and -"

Someone shushed her and Alice shut up immediately, her cheeks flushing. All the campers were sitting in a circle now, somehow all cramped into the pit.

*"Tessa Wilcox, I'm fifteen, and I'm from Moss Point, Mississippi," chirped the blonde girl who was starting the circle. "Um, I have a pet snake, and my favorite musical is so DEFINITELY Phantom!"

Alice leaned over to Max. "Say your favorite musical is Sweeney Todd," she whispered.

He glanced at her. "Why?"

"Because you don't have a favorite musical, doofus."

Everyone laughed at something the boy had said, and then looked to Max. "Um, hi," he said slowly, not enjoying the attention. "I'm Max, I'm fifteen, from Wilmington, Deleware, and I play soccer. And, um, my favorite musical is Wicked."

The eyes shifted to Alice. "I'm Alice Thompson, I'm fifteen and from Wilmington, Deleware. I play the clarinet and my favorite musical is My Fair Lady."

The circle moved on and Alice glared at her brother. "Wicked is my favorite musical," she whispered.

Max just grinned and whispered back, "Exactly."

Everyone filed out of the auditorium relatively quickly, leaving their bags to be delivered to their cabins by the camp staff. Alice wandered throughout the camp, taking everything in as she chattered away, with Max following meekly behind her.

"-and then the witch tells them that to have a baby, they need to get her a cow as white as milk, a cape as red as blood, hair as yellow as corn, and a slipper as pure as gold. So the baker and his wife head into the woods to start looking for these, and at the same time Cinderella is going to her mom's tree to ask if she can go to the king's festival and Jack is going into town to sell Milky White and Little Red is going to her granny's and-"

"Um, Ali," Max cut in, his phone in his hand, "it's 2:30. Didn't the lady say auditions are at 3?"

"Ohmigawd." Alice stopped immediately. "We need to practice, then." Nearby, outside one of the cabins she spotted a group of kids: three boys and a girl. "Come on. Let's ask if they'll practice with us."

"Ali, wait-" Max called, but his sister was already trotting off without him.

The boys were talking and the girl was looking at her phone when Alice approached. "Hi!" she called out, and they all looked up at her. "I'm Alice, and this is Max. Can we practice with you?"

*Someone please ask if they're dating."
Old 08-18-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
*Sorry, that was at 3:00am for me. -_- I'm usually addled at that time of night/morning. Yeah, I agree with you.*
greatly exaggerated.
-- Mark Twain
Old 08-18-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoonWakedWolf View Post
"Dude, you sure? I mean, if you've got a sore throat for auditions…"

*riley is a ditz*
"No, no. It's cool. Oh look, time for auditions," she said, waving her hand in the general direction. "Ready to go?"

She and Riley walked out of the cabin, Jen's legs unsteady and wobbly from adrenaline. A boy and girl were talking, very close to each other. Jen leaned over to Riley and whispered in a low voice.

"Are they dating or something?"
greatly exaggerated.
-- Mark Twain

Tags
annie, into the woods, lyall_areyel_was_here, musical theatre, newsies, poto, sondheim, wicked