Quantcast Forum Game: Last person to post here wins! - Page 16548 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Outside Life > Randomize
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2018, 03:06 PM

You know, someday, someone will actually win this game, like woah
Old 12-06-2018, 12:16 AM

SO IM DOING THESIS RESEARCH AND IM JUST GONNA INFODUMP HERE BECAUSE HYPERFIXATIONS ARE LOVELY

my thesis is on fair isle knitting and I got super caught up in the history of fair isle and started literally laughing out loud because its so fucking funny (also horribly depressing but black humor!)
so, fair isle was settled by the picts a loooong time ago, (well before 3000 BC) which is really remarkable because it is the most remote inhabited island in the british isles, is 3 square miles, and has NO TREES. its just cliffs in the middle of the ocean. it actually features in some greek epics (in greek its called Thule!) so the picts had it for a long long while, at some point Christianity got spread to the island, and then in 700s the Vikings took it. it is also written predominantly into many norse sagas! in both of these, it was super interesting because it was so peaceful? the Old Norse translation of the island name means literally "isle of peace" it was used to send fire signals in the chain from the highlands, to the Hebrides, then Orkneys, then fair isle, then the rest of the shetlands, then either to Denmark or to the faroes and then Iceland. the way things worked on the island was the islanders gave the fish they caught to the norse, who sold it in Bergen and came back with goods and wares (no use for money on fair isle). this was pretty good, and the oldest son/child would inherit the croft and the rest would leave the island. often the second oldest son would marry someone off the island and bring them back (gotta prevent inbreeding and overpopulation). and then, in 146-something, king james III of Scotland married princess Margaret of Denmark, but she didn't have an adequate dowry, so the shetlands were lumped in with that dowry. ))). and from then until the 1940s, things went increasingly downhill. Scotland basically went on a huge ass power trip, where they installed the same landlord system on the shetlands that the English had installed in the celtic nations (the whole reason Ireland got so fucked up. there was no famine. there was never a food shortage. it was England) where tenants worked the landlord's land, were allowed small portions of their family land to keep for themselves, and if they failed to pay rent more and more of their land was taken from them. except, no money on fair isle. so the islanders paid rent in herring. so, since the fish went to their landlords, their income was from, guess what, knitting. men fished, women stayed at home and ran the crofts, raised the sheep, and knit. they gave their knitting to their husbands, who sold it in other ports and brought raw goods home. also, this fishing was super dangerous. they were mostly open six seater boats on the open ocean. theres a rule in fair isle knitting where you cannot knit the same thing twice. why? if a fisherman drowned and when he was found his face was eaten/rotted away, he could still be recognized by his sweater or hat. the living conditions steadily deteriorated, with people starving a lot, and so there were huge waves of immigration. (on one day, 137 people left. the all-time population high was ~400) in world war one, the shetlands lost a higher proportion of people than any other place in the british isles. this absolutely devastated the island, and caused another rush of immigration. a lot of crofts were abandoned. then, in the 1900s, a private citizen bought the island. he.....just....liked birds? and thought fair isle was cool???? and Scotland just sold it to him. anyway, this was a SUPER GOOD THING because he took a lot around and went "yeah uh what about we don't do literal serfdom anymore since its 1940." and made a bunch of reforms, was generally a swell guy, beloved by the islanders. in the 50s, Scotland suddenly realized that it probably wasn't good that they had sold a historic island with an ancient population on it to a private citizen and basically given him free run of the whole place, so they bought it back. since the 40s, immigration from the island has generally stopped and things have gotten better and better, but its still....not great? the closest doctor is a 7-hour ferry ride, there are no shops anywhere, the population is 51. they got 24 hour electricity in October. yes, this October. 2018. until then it was maybe 12 hour and also super finicky. anyway (shocker) they do NOT like Scotland all that much. islanders still fly Norwegian flags mostly, place names are still mostly in old norse or named after the guy that bought the island. they spoke norn, which was basically old norse mixed with gàidhlig until the late 1700s. in 2007, they opened a museum, and got the queen or Norway to come open it for them.
anyway, I think fair isle is super cool and the history is really rich and interesting and also awful but what else is new.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:53 PM

Location: I house jump, see. Much more safe than hoping the humans don't come back. Potato disagrees, though.

Okay so think back to sixth grade english everybody, I have a question
My friend printed something out for english, a list of words and a worksheet, and everything had the words "taco tico sbr miafozzle" printed on it. Do you know what it means? I know it has something to do with these english words because *excuse me for a moment while I turn grammarly off. All better.* when I looked it up all the forshadowing for the website underneath the links had words from that english thing. Anyone know WHAT THE HECK is going on here? Alem, you are a seventh grader, rest of yall idk your ages, but alem seems the most fit to help me here. Look through your printed english papers, guys, send help.

taco tico sbr miafozzle- kayla
Old 12-07-2018, 03:36 PM

Location: I house jump, see. Much more safe than hoping the humans don't come back. Potato disagrees, though.

Luna I FOUND a warriors NES you made
Is Luna inactive
Because that would explain why she hasn't posted on me and Snow's NES
I know you at least know warriors
I need an explaination
Lol
it's fine if you don't like it anymore.
But lol yea im so confoozled
Old 12-07-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werty View Post
Luna I FOUND a warriors NES you made
Is Luna inactive
Because that would explain why she hasn't posted on me and Snow's NES
I know you at least know warriors
I need an explaination
Lol
it's fine if you don't like it anymore.
But lol yea im so confoozled
I haven't seen Luna in a long time.

-i found, amber run
Old 12-08-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werty View Post
Okay so think back to sixth grade english everybody, I have a question
My friend printed something out for english, a list of words and a worksheet, and everything had the words "taco tico sbr miafozzle" printed on it. Do you know what it means? I know it has something to do with these english words because *excuse me for a moment while I turn grammarly off. All better.* when I looked it up all the forshadowing for the website underneath the links had words from that english thing. Anyone know WHAT THE HECK is going on here? Alem, you are a seventh grader, rest of yall idk your ages, but alem seems the most fit to help me here. Look through your printed english papers, guys, send help.

taco tico sbr miafozzle- kayla
I would help if I could, but I don’t remember anything about taco tico sbr miafozzle in my sixth grade ela cirruculum lol
Old 12-08-2018, 04:18 PM

Okay peoples so.
In my writing class we are writing an anthology where we have to find songs and poems with figurative language and make a little booklet. We also have to write our own poems and songs but that’s not important right now. We each have a certain theme these have to fit in. Mine is loneliness. Poems were easy to find, and I have 2 songs. Lost Boy by Ruth B (btw, I remember when we were trying to describe what each other looked like so, if you know who Ruth B is, I kinda look like her lol totally random tho) and the lonely by Christina Perri. I really want to find a song with figurative language, a strong theme of loneliness, school appropriate (this will be graded and stuff) and something my classmates might recognize.

So if you have any songs you really enjoy listening to and fit the requirements,
I BEG you to share them, please! I would like it if you could, thanks guys!
Old 12-09-2018, 08:41 AM

Whoops here I am, clocking in at four hours of sleep
Send help

Please
Old 12-13-2018, 11:11 AM

Oom Pah Pah
Oom Pah Pah

That's How It Goes

Oom Pah Pah
Oom Pah Pah

Everyone Knows

They All Suppose What They Want To Suppose

When They Hear Oom Pah Pah
Old 12-13-2018, 05:56 PM

I'm slowly dying in a corner because Luna Alem and Snow are on. My luck is unreal.

Last edited by Werty; 12-13-2018 at 05:57 PM. Reason: i said one instead of on and am about to be fired from the grammar police

Tags
! ! ! pokeyisswag, !! real 1st tag, !a first tag, ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°), (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻, /family reunion/, diltg, emma = epik, emma is 4ever, falling rain..., fart fart fart fart, fuck, funny, gwen5evar, i love emma, i love panda, i love you slendy, i win ., jack milliken was here., just a smalltown girl, lenny bruce is not afraid, lst randomness, mirwolf, sherlock was here, tylerdurdenwashere