Quantcast The KP Games Spin-Off - Page 4 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Writing > Never Ending Stories
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostBittenKitten View Post
Olivia's arrow hit it's mark, dead center in the bulls-eye. She smiled up at her dad, who was making her do this. "Look, I did it!" she exclaimed.

"I know," he replied. "Now do it again." She sighed and continued to shoot arrows at the target. She had just started working on arrows at her dad's insistence but hadn't quite mastered them except for a few lucky arrows. "You'll thank me some day, Olivia, when you win the Games and bring us a fortune and a new house."

"There is a very unlikely chance I'll get picked for the Games," she replied tartly. "I don't understand this training. It's like you want me to get picked or something."

"No, of course I don't," her dad replied. She knew it was a lie. He only cared about the money, not her well-being. If it was up to him, he'd bribe the lady who chose their names just so she could be in the Games. He had always wanted to be rich since they were living in poverty and people could see their bones. His greed overcame any love he had felt for her and so she trained. Her dad had just finished a hard day of work and yet here they were.

"Wait a minute," Olivia said. "The drawing is today! Oh crap! How could I forget?" She rushed to get her less grimy shirt and pants on; her only other pair. She pulled on some boots and ran there, knowing that she was supposed to be early, according to her dad. She raced to the middle of the town breathlessly, her anxiety increasing with every step. She arrived only on time, her father right behind her. She was certain it would be another disappointment.
FYI, I don't think that we're actually going to games. (Sam?) It's just set in that world. I think.

Stel's was a special kind of Hell. She hadn't seen daylight for five years, hadn't felt comfort in six years, and hadn't felt safe in ten. To be fair, she'd never truly been safe. The king had just used her and her parents as a pawn in his sick game, had bided his time before he sent an assassin to their cottage to kill them. But Stel's darling, dearest parents, may the rest in peace, had been smart, had known that the king would come for them. And so Stel had been saved from the same fate as her parents, had been hidden in the floor boards the moment foreigners stepped into the village, just as her parents had always hidden when foreigners came. To be safe. Well, that hadn't worked.

"Darlings, we have to get up now. Come on," Stel murmured into the early morning air. The sun was nonexistent at this hour, but by now they were all used to it. Lou opened her eyes and sat up. Together, the two girls started gently shaking awake the other people lying on the cold ground, huddling together for warmth. It was early, but it was better to be awakened by a gentle shake rather than the kick of the harsh overseers.
"Get up, you pigs!" The overseers marched out of their comfortable cabins into the fields where they housed the slaves who couldn't fit in the few tents they provided. An overseer, not much older the 25 with dark hair and stern blue eyes came strutting towards Stel, kicking every slave who was still asleep, still relishing the moments when there was no pain, no whip, no mines. Where there was still hope.

it takes and it takes and it takes
-leslie odom jr and lin manuel miranda, "wait for it," hamilton
Old 03-06-2016, 10:11 PM

Sam awoke to the hammering on his door.
"Kenneth wants the victors on their thrones for photos!"
Sam hurled his whisky at the door and cursed at the guards. The guards swiped their identification cards and barged into Sam's room. "You are coming with us," the guards demanded.
Sam spit on the guard closest to him.
"Oh if I could beat you," the guard balled up his fists.
"But you can't," Sam said, giving the guard's cheek two light pats. "I'm a victor." Sam turned away and looked out the window.
"Unlike your dead scum friend Alice," one guard muttered.
Sam turned around. "WHO SAID THAT?!" Sam shouted. He grabbed a guard by his shirt and punched him. "WHO SAID THAT?!"
"ENOUGH!" an voice boomed, silencing everyone. In came Conquerer Kenneth, twin brother of Perry, former king of Occidere Frater. "Looks like someone's causing trouble in here. Tsk tsk."
Sam glared at Kenneth with hatred burning in his eyes. "Kneel," Kenneth demanded.
"Go to Hell!" Sam spat.
Kenneth chuckled. "You must think you're so brave. You're not. You're just a broken little brat spoiled rotten. Go get you're pictures taken and know that I can kill you any time I'd like."
Sam glared and went to get ready for pictures.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostBittenKitten View Post
Olivia's arrow hit it's mark, dead center in the bulls-eye. She smiled up at her dad, who was making her do this. "Look, I did it!" she exclaimed.

"I know," he replied. "Now do it again." She sighed and continued to shoot arrows at the target. She had just started working on arrows at her dad's insistence but hadn't quite mastered them except for a few lucky arrows. "You'll thank me some day, Olivia, when you win the Games and bring us a fortune and a new house."

"There is a very unlikely chance I'll get picked for the Games," she replied tartly. "I don't understand this training. It's like you want me to get picked or something."

"No, of course I don't," her dad replied. She knew it was a lie. He only cared about the money, not her well-being. If it was up to him, he'd bribe the lady who chose their names just so she could be in the Games. He had always wanted to be rich since they were living in poverty and people could see their bones. His greed overcame any love he had felt for her and so she trained. Her dad had just finished a hard day of work and yet here they were.

"Wait a minute," Olivia said. "The drawing is today! Oh crap! How could I forget?" She rushed to get her less grimy shirt and pants on; her only other pair. She pulled on some boots and ran there, knowing that she was supposed to be early, according to her dad. She raced to the middle of the town breathlessly, her anxiety increasing with every step. She arrived only on time, her father right behind her. She was certain it would be another disappointment.
yeah no kp games on this thread
Old 03-06-2016, 10:36 PM

Lunch break went by all too quickly. Amelia's back burned, stained with blood and dirt, but she heaved the wheelbarrow once again. As she neared the train, she spotted a holo-television in the open cart. New photos of the victors were released, all dolled up in their a ridiculous atttire.
"Dirtbag," Amelia spat as an image of a young boy named "Sam Winslow" appeared on the screen.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:32 PM

The usual melody of metal against rock and the crack of the whip was a gruesome one, but it could always be worse. Stel's ankles were raw from the shackles that connected her to the other slaves. Her skin was pasty from no sunlight and her eyes had no light, no life within them. Her hair was shorn close to her scalp to keep her as anonymous as the other slaves so that the overseers would have no second thoughts, no regrets, no empathy. To them, she wasn't a person, but a tool.

The crack of a whip to her immediate left broke her trance. A child, no more than thirteen, had fallen from hunger and tiredness. He struggled to get back up, but the overseer had seen him and down went the whip. Stel turned away, although the boy's screams for mercy were much too close to forget. She glanced his way again when the screams had stopped, but there was no mercy. The boy's back was bleeding with over three dozen lashes and he lay on the ground, unmoving. Stel swallowed her porridge as it rose up in her throat; she couldn't afford to lose her only nutrients for the day. She turned her back to the boy and kept hacking with the pickaxe, digging the tool into the stone and imagining it was the stomach of that overseer.

One of these days she would snap. One of these days she'd kill all of them and although she wouldn't make it out of there alive, what did she have to lose? Surely death was no worse than this.

But for now, she kept on hacking, kept on digging the iron that those stupid Victor's would wear on their heads like trophies, trophies of the pain others went through in order for them to live their luxurious lives. Without the people like her, the kingdom wouldn't exist.

She'd been forced to watch the games in the dead of night when she was supposed to be getting her few hours of sleep. She knew those Victors better than they knew themselves; They enjoyed it. They enjoyed killing, enjoyed hurting, enjoyed the gore, the death. But ever since she'd been brought to the mines the games had taken on a whole new meaning. And she had sworn upon her parent's graves that those good-for-nothing selfish self-entitled spoiled little pricks would one day be staring back at her on the opposite end of her blade.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurboulos View Post
yeah no kp games on this thread
oh i didn't know that oops

will i ever be more than i've always been

tap, tap, tapping on the glass

Waving through a window
Old 03-07-2016, 05:24 PM

After her dad had gone inside to see the news, Olivia followed him, sighing as her arms ached badly. On the poor, broken down television that they owned, which had spiderweb cracked in several places and hardly worked, she caught a glimpse of the victors, in perfect designer clothing. She glared at it.

She just caught a glance of a boy called Sam Winslow, who she has a vision of shooting with one of these ghastly arrows. Her dad had always wanted her to be just like him; gone into the games and come out a victor with nice things like his. Then the television turned off, making the picture fade out and change colors. Her father swore and hit it with his fist. Nothing happened. He had gotten that television from the black market, so Olivia wasn't surprised at all. Her life wasn't too bad compared to most peasants, but compared to a victor or an elite she had it almost as bad as the rest of them.

True, she hadn't worked today, and she only did some days, but that was because of her father. He constantly did extra work for her, wanting instead for her to become his perfect little victor. She pretended to like it, so she wouldn't have to have it as awful as some and he wouldn't beat her. Olivia's father claimed that she was easily and frequently sick, which only worked because of bribery and cunning lies.

Olivia sighed.

Waving through a window
Old 03-07-2016, 08:42 PM

There were always secrets floating around the mines. Most of them fake, but every so often one would be true. Usually, these secrets were about the inhabitants of the mines, but every so often some gossip from the city would come on the backs of guards and overseers. They would tell each other, not caring if one of those machines, one of those slaves heard them. They were visible only when they were doing something wrong as if the whip was the temporary medicine to their blindness of the enslaved people around them. And once one slave heard it, it was only a matter of time.

They liked the gossip. It made those nobles, the Elites, the Victors, look like the ugly, despicable monsters that they were. That day the whispers traveled quickly, perhaps because the gossip was so irregular. Stel had been waiting her turn to hear those secrets when finally the older woman in front of her, that poor young boy's replacement, pickaxed the wall right in front of Stel's face. Leaning forward as if to try and pull out the axe, she whispered the news, the news that would change Stel's life forever;

A Victor had vanished.

(If this isn't OK with everyone I can totally delete it, but I just wanted something to happen in my character's life.)
Old 03-07-2016, 09:21 PM

8 hours earlier...

Sam walked back from the photoshoot to his room, to grab some money and hit the city. He had planned to go to some bars and nightclubs and drink away his sorrows. Sam went to a bar, got a few drinks, and drunkenly decided he wanted to pick a fight with the large man next to him. He took a beating and sat in the rain, roaring insults at people who walked by him. Then he passed out.

When he woke up he had an awful headache and he was sour all over. He tried to roll over but he was strapped to a wall. He muttered in confusion to himself trying to recall what had happened but he was soon greeted by a large, grimy man with an eyepatch. When the man spoke, Sam noticed he was missing many teeth. "Don't budge," He said. His voice was so deep, that it would frighten a bull. "You gotta be worth a lot of dough, pretty boy." Sam wasn't afraid, he was actually rather happy. Once he got out of the trap, he could escape from Occidere Frater and never return. He could start a new life somewhere in Commons. But first he had to escape from this wretched man's trap.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:29 PM

Olivia sat alone at her home as her father went to go buy a different television. Then she walked out of her house and looked around. Everyone was gossiping. That was when she heard it: Sam Winslow had disappeared.

(Sorry it's so short)

Waving through a window

Tags
#bringbackalice, #oldiesrule, hazel will do this later, i ship it like fed-ex, kidpub, kidpub games, luna was here, occidere frater