Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Outside Life > Free advice
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2017, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syafai View Post
rip.

ya'll, I've been hearing explosions almost every night, and it makes me freak??!!?!. Pretty sure it isn't something I'm hearing irl, because nobody wakes up from it or gets scared. Either the explosion wakes me up in the morning (when everyone is awake), or it just happens in the middle of the night (when I'm in bed, awake, trying to fall asleep). do yall know what's going on ?? am I "mentally ill" or whatever that means?? hope it ain't something bad cause it's been happening for years (but I literally just found this thread after bookkitty commented on it)???

(sorry I just had to put that emoji it's literally my everyday)
Mental illness isn't defined as one weird thing, for example hearing noises when there's nothing there. I'm in no way opposed to self-diagnoses, but if I were you I wouldn't worry too much about these incidents. Being mentally ill usually comes with emotional and psychological impacts. If you were waking up every night with feelings of panic, helplessness, and crippling anxiety because of these noises, I'd understand. As I understand it, however, I don't believe anyone would diagnose you with anything. In short, from the information I am given, it doesn't appear to me that you have any mental illness to speak of. Of course perhaps you do, and I just haven't heard the full of it. That's my two cents anyway.

and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n
that if you talk enough sense, then you'll lose your mind

- I Found, by Amber Run
Old 10-04-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syafai View Post
rip.

ya'll, I've been hearing explosions almost every night, and it makes me freak??!!?!. Pretty sure it isn't something I'm hearing irl, because nobody wakes up from it or gets scared. Either the explosion wakes me up in the morning (when everyone is awake), or it just happens in the middle of the night (when I'm in bed, awake, trying to fall asleep). do yall know what's going on ?? am I "mentally ill" or whatever that means?? hope it ain't something bad cause it's been happening for years (but I literally just found this thread after bookkitty commented on it)???

(sorry I just had to put that emoji it's literally my everyday)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome

I have experienced this too and I'm almost 100% sure this is what you're describing
Old 12-19-2017, 01:14 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to BookKitty

im gna scream my meds never work 4 long enough and i need an antipsychotic but my body is so weird on them... im so frustrated abt No Diagnosis time!!!!!!!! also has anybody ever done group therapy? i want to do a local dbt one but i wanted to know ppls thoughts
Old 12-19-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookKitty View Post
im gna scream my meds never work 4 long enough and i need an antipsychotic but my body is so weird on them... im so frustrated abt No Diagnosis time!!!!!!!! also has anybody ever done group therapy? i want to do a local dbt one but i wanted to know ppls thoughts
hey yeah I've had extensive group therapy!!! (mostly because I was in day treatment programs :/ but I did do one voluntarily that was like a skills group)

I think it can be beneficial. Especially if you're not in day treatment/ other forced "no contact outside of treatment" types. Skills groups are good, and you don't necessarily have to be able to actually get along with the other members.

It's like a solid 6/10, I got to do some cool stuff and learn some shit.
they'd lead me to y o u
Old 12-22-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
OMFG GROUP THERAPY THE MEMORIES IM CRYIN THIS IS GREAT
um ok so I've been to a process group and also a dbt group and in general they are DIFFERENT!!!! process I thought was fun because it was just us ranting about our lives and there was a lot of arts and crafts and screaming and drama but it was kinda fun. also biased because I met my first girlfriend at a therapy group (pro tip: therapists dont like it when your fellow therapy patient is your lesbian lover). dbt group is more skills based and it can be tedious, but in the end the people that are there with you make it or break it. My advice is to always bring tea or coffee if it's an evening group, eat beforehand, try to be as kind as possible to your fellow group members, and even if the leaders are being super therapissy and annoying, at least try and absorb the bs they're throwing atchu. maybe its not bs who knows.

also give opposite action a chance! it's a dbt thing and it sounds awful and terrible at first but it can be useful so hang on to that lesson.

and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n
that if you talk enough sense, then you'll lose your mind

- I Found, by Amber Run
Old 12-24-2017, 12:26 AM

hi how do i go to a therapist w/o my parents knowing and also how do i explain to a therapist that idk if anything is wrong i just wanna know for sure if i'm being a baby or if i will stabilize more as i get older or if i need some lowkey meds?

i'm turning 18 in fourish months so that'll help.

i think i'm too immature atm because i'm a lot better than i used to be (i think), but at the same time i could just be reflecting my mom b/c she doesn't have very high opinions of ppl who take meds. So yeah, i wanna have like a check-up like you do with physicals? But i can't ask my family how to set an appointment up, obviously. Pointers?
Down and out and missing home

(So beat a little louder now
I can't hear you anymore)
-Barns Courntey
Old 12-24-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgebraAddict View Post
OMFG GROUP THERAPY THE MEMORIES IM CRYIN THIS IS GREAT
um ok so I've been to a process group and also a dbt group and in general they are DIFFERENT!!!! process I thought was fun because it was just us ranting about our lives and there was a lot of arts and crafts and screaming and drama but it was kinda fun. also biased because I met my first girlfriend at a therapy group (pro tip: therapists dont like it when your fellow therapy patient is your lesbian lover). dbt group is more skills based and it can be tedious, but in the end the people that are there with you make it or break it. My advice is to always bring tea or coffee if it's an evening group, eat beforehand, try to be as kind as possible to your fellow group members, and even if the leaders are being super therapissy and annoying, at least try and absorb the bs they're throwing atchu. maybe its not bs who knows.

also give opposite action a chance! it's a dbt thing and it sounds awful and terrible at first but it can be useful so hang on to that lesson.

yeah when i went to the mental hospital i had to do process and dbt groups and they were good so i think i would maybe like it, im assuming the leaders r like that everywhere lol like u said. also yea my gf was in the hospital in the same time as me and it was Bad .... and ofc some of it will b bs but i hope it's ok!

Last edited by BookKitty; 12-24-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda View Post
hi how do i go to a therapist w/o my parents knowing and also how do i explain to a therapist that idk if anything is wrong i just wanna know for sure if i'm being a baby or if i will stabilize more as i get older or if i need some lowkey meds?

i'm turning 18 in fourish months so that'll help.

i think i'm too immature atm because i'm a lot better than i used to be (i think), but at the same time i could just be reflecting my mom b/c she doesn't have very high opinions of ppl who take meds. So yeah, i wanna have like a check-up like you do with physicals? But i can't ask my family how to set an appointment up, obviously. Pointers?
depending on which state u live in (it might b the same everywhere??) when ur 15 ur the primary person responsible for mental health treatment so as long as u have ur insurance info u can go w/o parent permission
Old 12-24-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMoon View Post
hey yeah I've had extensive group therapy!!! (mostly because I was in day treatment programs :/ but I did do one voluntarily that was like a skills group)

I think it can be beneficial. Especially if you're not in day treatment/ other forced "no contact outside of treatment" types. Skills groups are good, and you don't necessarily have to be able to actually get along with the other members.

It's like a solid 6/10, I got to do some cool stuff and learn some shit.
i like skills groups a lot bc i like structure so that's good to hear!
Old 12-24-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
i like skills groups a lot bc i like structure so that's good to hear!
Same! I don't like process groups as much because I'd rather have the structure of working on like improving skills haha, process groups are more uncomfortable
they'd lead me to y o u

Tags
illness, mental illness, mentally ill, support