Quantcast Battle Scenes - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Writing > Story Ideas
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2013, 12:42 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to saphiremoon
Default Battle Scenes

In a lot of books, there are battle scenes. Whether it's with swords, bows and magic or rocket launchers, rifles and galactic super rays, battle and action is sometimes the heartbeat of the story. It can certainly make or break a novel.

So, I'd thought I'd make a thread where we can share tips on fight scenes and ask for help if we're struggling. I, for one, would like some tips on how to write large battle scenes (more than one-on-one combat), so if anyone has any pointers, I'd appreciate them
Old 08-15-2013, 02:59 PM

Oh, ick. >.< Battle scenes are hard. Usually, though, I try to focus on the emotions going on during a battle instead of the actual combat :3

((death, white lies))
Old 08-16-2013, 04:35 AM

It largely depends on the character itself, but some are eager to strike down more of the enemies and some try to stay away from trouble. At first it might be a raging roaring mess, but at moments, the character might not have anyone to fight with.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena View Post
Oh, ick. >.< Battle scenes are hard. Usually, though, I try to focus on the emotions going on during a battle instead of the actual combat :3
Me too :3 And the incredible pain a character feels when they're stabbed XD But yes, I focus on the emotions more than the action usually, especially to slow it down a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenM View Post
It largely depends on the character itself, but some are eager to strike down more of the enemies and some try to stay away from trouble. At first it might be a raging roaring mess, but at moments, the character might not have anyone to fight with.
Definitely– the character's fighting style plays a huge part.

I love writing sword fighting scenes now, though– I've been fencing for a year and a half, so I know how to write it properly! XD
Old 08-18-2013, 08:36 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to lvhamsters

It would take a lot of description. Like, from the character's view how they are seeing things. Not only just fighting the enemy they're attacking then and there, but making glancing around the battlefield every once and a while and if they have any friends out there, describe how they're doing, or how the odds are on who will win.
Battle scenes are so fun *o*

When we were young we used to say

That you only hear the music when your hearts begin to break

Now we are the kids from yesterday
Old 08-18-2013, 09:05 PM

I have... Never written... A battle scene. O.O

MUST GET THERE IN THE TWILIGHT TALISMAN
Old 08-19-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvhamsters View Post
It would take a lot of description. Like, from the character's view how they are seeing things. Not only just fighting the enemy they're attacking then and there, but making glancing around the battlefield every once and a while and if they have any friends out there, describe how they're doing, or how the odds are on who will win.
Battle scenes are so fun *o*
Yeah, I find that a great way to pause the battle for a second :3 Except in the battle I'm writing right now, because the main character's surrounded by a fog of shadows, so he can only see silhouettes. Which is pretty fun to describe, I might say, but fairly repetitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMoon View Post
I have... Never written... A battle scene. O.O

MUST GET THERE IN THE TWILIGHT TALISMAN
Ooh, it'll be fun in TTT– there'll be all their powers and stuff :3
Old 08-24-2013, 08:31 PM

Default How to kill a werewolf?

Yuck, I am SO LOST. I haven't really written a battle scene before and now I'm really struggling with it. And I think if it were just a normal one-on-one bout with swords or something (swords are easy; I fence) it would be easier, but I have a man battling a werewolf in the forest with only a knife, and I have no idea where to start. Anyone care to give me some pointers?

I need something to happen between the man and the wolf, but neither can die; the man has to get away somehow with the wolf still alive. I just have no idea how to write the combat.

Maybe I should watch that Doctor Who episode again with the werewolf.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:52 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to lvhamsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieS View Post
Yuck, I am SO LOST. I haven't really written a battle scene before and now I'm really struggling with it. And I think if it were just a normal one-on-one bout with swords or something (swords are easy; I fence) it would be easier, but I have a man battling a werewolf in the forest with only a knife, and I have no idea where to start. Anyone care to give me some pointers?

I need something to happen between the man and the wolf, but neither can die; the man has to get away somehow with the wolf still alive. I just have no idea how to write the combat.

Maybe I should watch that Doctor Who episode again with the werewolf.
Maybe have the wolf get wounded by the man, and while the wolf is down, the man makes a run for it in panic? But it's not a very bad wound so the wolf recovers quickly?

When we were young we used to say

That you only hear the music when your hearts begin to break

Now we are the kids from yesterday
Old 08-25-2013, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphiremoon View Post
me Too :3 And The Incredible Pain A Character Feels When They're Stabbed Xd But Yes, I Focus On The Emotions More Than The Action Usually, Especially To Slow It Down A Bit.

Definitely– The Character's Fighting Style Plays A Huge Part.

I Love Writing Sword Fighting Scenes Now, Though– I've Been Fencing For A Year And A Half, So I Know How To Write It Properly! Xd
I Need Tips!