Quantcast How cliche can you be? - Page 23 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Writing > Story Ideas
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphiremoon View Post
Do you guys think it's cliche for the protagonist to die and then get resurrected?

Also, do you think it's better to have a happy, sad or in-between ending (if one of the characters die, but the world doesn't end ect.)?
It can be done well, but it's pretty overdone in comic books and others.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca View Post
I'm not really a big fan of the Hunger Games. I only read it because it wasn't Twilight.
Following that train of logic, you would read everything in the universe and beyond except Twilight.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:40 PM

Send a message via MSN to Sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca View Post
I'm not really a big fan of the Hunger Games. I only read it because it wasn't Twilight.
To be completely honest, I didn't enjoy the Hunger Games at all. The writing was stern and unemotional and lost me literally at the first two pages. I'm pretty done with these dystopian-themed things, and I don't like how its success turned every other tournament-themed plotline automatically cliched and overused. I didn't like Katniss, nor did I like Primrose, nor did I like Gale, nor did I like the setting or society it was staged in, nor did I like how the characters interacted. The references to Shakespeare and his play Julius Caesar were so blatant and obvious... The fact that everyone else in my life expects me to be in love with this mediocrity makes it even more intolerable. I could seriously rage for like an hour about how author after author is attempting to pull off the "strong female" character and in the end their characters just end up ticking me off.
/endofrage
Sorry if I offended anyone, this is only my opinion and I understand the opinions of those who like the Hunger Games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphiremoon View Post
Do you guys think it's cliche for the protagonist to die and then get resurrected?
If it's justified, credible, and well-executed, you can pull it off no problem, although I would still be a bit careful, as readers will notice it as a cliche. As long as you make it flow smoothly and realistically with the rest of the plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nngo View Post
Books need antagonists.
However, the antagonist and the protagonist can be the same person. The antagonist can be a concept or a situation as well, or even an abstract idea.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
To be completely honest, I didn't enjoy the Hunger Games at all. The writing was stern and unemotional and lost me literally at the first two pages. I'm pretty done with these dystopian-themed things, and I don't like how its success turned every other tournament-themed plotline automatically cliched and overused. I didn't like Katniss, nor did I like Primrose, nor did I like Gale, nor did I like the setting or society it was staged in, nor did I like how the characters interacted. The references to Shakespeare and his play Julius Caesar were so blatant and obvious... The fact that everyone else in my life expects me to be in love with this mediocrity makes it even more intolerable. I could seriously rage for like an hour about how author after author is attempting to pull off the "strong female" character and in the end their characters just end up ticking me off.
/endofrage
Sorry if I offended anyone, this is only my opinion and I understand the opinions of those who like the Hunger Games.

If it's justified, credible, and well-executed, you can pull it off no problem, although I would still be a bit careful, as readers will notice it as a cliche. As long as you make it flow smoothly and realistically with the rest of the plot.

However, the antagonist and the protagonist can be the same person. The antagonist can be a concept or a situation as well, or even an abstract idea.

1) I agree with your Hunger Games statement. I think its concept and atmosphere is redeemable, though. I like it.

2) True. But I was referring to how often times people who want to change the world are portrayed as villainous in media.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:27 AM

Location: honestly I can't even think of a witty answer anymore this is tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nngo View Post
1) I agree with your Hunger Games statement. I think its concept and atmosphere is redeemable, though. I like it.

2) True. But I was referring to how often times people who want to change the world are portrayed as villainous in media.
I also agree. Hunger Games was mediocre and though I enjoyed Katniss' unemotionalness (because I'm so normal like that. I just don't like overemotional characters at all), I never saw how it got so big, and it took me three attempts to start reading it. At a glance, I despised it. And yes, I read the first book, but I was not so fond of the others. They were melodramatic and boring. Could have been done a lot better. Without Catching Fire, jumping straight to a different sort of rebellion.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:09 PM

pretty boy meets tomboyish girl and fall in love.

and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n
that if you talk enough sense, then you'll lose your mind

- I Found, by Amber Run
Old 04-18-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgebraAddict View Post
pretty boy meets tomboyish girl and fall in love.
Pretty as in like girlishly pretty or pretty as in like hot?
Because one of those is cliched and one of them is not.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:07 PM

Send a message via MSN to Sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaR View Post
Pretty as in like girlishly pretty or pretty as in like hot?
Because one of those is cliched and one of them is not.
I think someone needs to write a romance between a total tomboy and a girlishly pretty boy.
It must be done.
Perhaps it will even heal the damage done by the hot guy - tomboy girl thing.

I still think it's better than the hot guy - low-confidence "average" girl thing, though.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I think someone needs to write a romance between a total tomboy and a girlishly pretty boy.
It must be done.

I still think it's better than the hot guy - low-confidence "average" girl thing, though.
I am a total tomboy.

That does not relate to anything.

But still.
they'd lead me to y o u
Old 04-18-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
It must be done.

CAN I TAKE CREDIT FOR TOTALLY DOING THAT IN MY NOVEL
PETER, GIRLISHLY PRETTY AND KIND OF A SISSY AND SAM, VERY PLAIN-LOOKING BADASS TOMBOY FALL IN LOVE
I'm so proud of myself.

Tags
again and again, insanely overused plots, super cliche