Quantcast The Art Thread - Page 72 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home
Old 05-16-2015, 03:45 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to venika

holy shit guys so it was my birthday on wednesday and my friend got me copics?? i think im still in shock tbh i've wanted some for forever and just. i havent even opened the pack im just staring at them n crying inside lbr
Old 05-16-2015, 09:38 AM

[quote=venika;570788]holy shit guys so it was my birthday on wednesday and my friend got me copics?? i think im still in shock tbh i've wanted some for forever and just. i havent even opened the pack im just staring at them n crying inside lbr[/QUOt TE]

I LOVE COPICS SO MUCH. I've been trying to buy one every week with a coupon but I haven't been to the store lately and ajdgdgdjdkdjfgd they're so amazing
Old 05-16-2015, 10:48 AM

copics r LIFE omg i only have 7 but they are the best thing in the world
Old 05-16-2015, 10:53 AM

HELL YEAH COPICS also they're more affordable now because SOMEBODY raised the price of prismacolors to $6. so, then a better marker with better tips and more colors for $7 isn't that bad. XD but YES COPICS ARE THE BEST. ONLY BUY PRISMACOLORS IN LIKE BLACK OR COLORS THAT RUN OUT A LOT. OTHERWISE, GO WITH COPICS
Old 05-19-2015, 10:41 PM

quietly wondering if there's a way for me to sell some prints at dad's local comic book store. like, to pay for college? but i'm worried about them being too pricey or if there would be legal issues or if nobody would like my drawings bc i don't do a lot of comic book characters. >8I but i still want the money. and i think it's not impossible......... UGH CURSE U SMALL TOWN LIFE WITH NO BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES
Old 05-19-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoCat View Post
quietly wondering if there's a way for me to sell some prints at dad's local comic book store. like, to pay for college? but i'm worried about them being too pricey or if there would be legal issues or if nobody would like my drawings bc i don't do a lot of comic book characters. >8I but i still want the money. and i think it's not impossible......... UGH CURSE U SMALL TOWN LIFE WITH NO BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES
you could do commissions or something! like, make an online post (here we have this neighborhood watch page and people advertise on it all the time) or send a letter to the newspaper or whatever you do, and wait for people to start asking you to draw stuff for them! it's just an idea and i'm clueless about this stuff, but one of my old friends used to do this i think (plus i do accompaniment for people, which is almost the music version of commissions??? i'm a crappy accompanist though please do not ask me to play stuff)
Old 05-19-2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
you could do commissions or something! like, make an online post (here we have this neighborhood watch page and people advertise on it all the time) or send a letter to the newspaper or whatever you do, and wait for people to start asking you to draw stuff for them! it's just an idea and i'm clueless about this stuff, but one of my old friends used to do this i think (plus i do accompaniment for people, which is almost the music version of commissions??? i'm a crappy accompanist though please do not ask me to play stuff)
yeaaaaaah, the only problem with that is that i suck at commissions. -_-' my sisters have commissioned me before, but i usually end up just doing whatever i want whenever i want. and depression has made it a lot harder for me to get things done (i've had this one drawing sitting around for 2 weeks and it's so close to being done that i'm just disappointed in myself by now). so that isn't really an option for me at the moment. at least until i get better at doing requests and widening my range of subjects i can/will draw.

but i have a plan for selling prints at a store if they would let me. i just know that the market there is much better than it is here (commissions or not). so, right now i'm just wondering if i could get the correct copyright permission and then the owners agreement to do this. my extremely limited knowledge of business is not helping, but it would still be awesome to make some extra money and get my name out there, too.

Last edited by CosmoCat; 05-19-2015 at 11:20 PM. Reason: ugh, typos that i didn't want to correct and typos that i did correct
Old 05-20-2015, 01:14 AM

Quote:
yeaaaaaah, the only problem with that is that i suck at commissions. -_-' my sisters have commissioned me before, but i usually end up just doing whatever i want whenever i want. and depression has made it a lot harder for me to get things done (i've had this one drawing sitting around for 2 weeks and it's so close to being done that i'm just disappointed in myself by now). so that isn't really an option for me at the moment. at least until i get better at doing requests and widening my range of subjects i can/will draw.

but i have a plan for selling prints at a store if they would let me. i just know that the market there is much better than it is here (commissions or not). so, right now i'm just wondering if i could get the correct copyright permission and then the owners agreement to do this. my extremely limited knowledge of business is not helping, but it would still be awesome to make some extra money and get my name out there, too.
**DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT AN EXPERT ON THIS. I'M JUST A KID WHO HAPPENS TO KNOW A LITTLE ABOUT LICENSING AND COPYRIGHTS BC REASONS.**

so the first thing you should do is look up what license the original work was copyrighted under. if the owner used a creative commons license, that's basically the most hassle-free of all of them bc literally all you have to do is give credit to them. however, keep in mind that most commercial companies (much restatement) don't use creative commons and you'll have to do a google search for their terms and conditions, but those are most likely going to be very vague and fuzzy.

basically, as long as your art isn't competing with the original, you should be okay, but the definition of "competing" is the part that makes everything this weird and hard to understand. in most cases, selling your fanart would be illegal because it's considered a derivative work and therefore you technically shouldn't profit from it.

HOWEVER, YOU CAN ASK THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER(S) FOR PERMISSION! this could be a long process, and you might have to give them a certain percentage of your profit or something like that, but it works anyways. because i suck at explaining and i'm tired and this would take forever to go into details, here's an article about this stuff that i found.

i think the best thing to do for your situation would be to just sell your original work, or alter the fanart enough so it doesn't look like it has anything to do with the owner's creation (like, change the character traits or whatever). however, if you really want to put some of it out there, you could hang it up in your dad's store and if people ask, you could say that you have other things for sale. yeah, i'm really bad with this and i'm sorry XD

Last edited by meerkat; 05-20-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:33 AM

WOW I AM GOING SUPER HEAVY ON THE SHAMELESS ADVERTIZING BUT THIS IS AN ART THREAD SO WHY NOT HERE http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/album.p...pictureid=7522
Old 06-11-2015, 04:33 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to lvhamsters

Quote:
If it doesn't work out at that store, you should definitely try out etsy.com! I've heard lots of great things about it and I know plenty of people who use it. I'm planning on using it this summer! But everything on there is hand made and lots of people sell prints on there so you can look at other people's prints and get a good idea on how to price yours. I don't know what kind of copyright laws apply to that website, but there is a tonnnnn of fanart and such on there so I doubt it's very strict. Good luck! ^.^

When we were young we used to say

That you only hear the music when your hearts begin to break

Now we are the kids from yesterday

Tags
3d design yassss, animation is exhausting, artiness, artist, butterfly, can't draw, classical cat, frodo, lyall_areyel_was_here, mr potato will get you, thethreeprotagonists, watercolours are fun