Quantcast Should Schools Cut Music to Save $$? - Page 7 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Outside Life > And Now, the News...
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 10:36 AM

Default Keep Music!

I know that schools don't necessarily have much money anymore, but this is ridiculous! They're letting McDonald's be served in their cafeterias, and not to mention pink slime and E coli! They've taken away a fun, fresh hands-on opportunity to learn (field trips) and now they're thinking of cutting music?!

If these schools cut music, they're cutting the ties between excitement about school from students and them. They don't understand. What about those kids aspiring to be great musicians one day? What about those kids who feel relaxed when they play, but stressed anywhere else? Music is a medicine. And if they think that only know-it-alls, mathmeticians, writers, scientists and history buffs will emerge from their school, then their school doesn't deserve to be standing on the ground it's on!

From a calmer perspective, music offers plenty of skills, too. For instance, you learn to read sheet music and establish a steady practice schedule. This will benefit you later in life. Also, music relaxes many troubled or troublemaking students and makes them easier to control. It's magical, and if you cut music, you cut magic.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:29 PM

Playing the devil's advocate here: if music's so great, why don't people learn it on their own and not make the school use money on that when they can bargain a way to use it on field trips, for example?
Old 05-03-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nngo View Post
Playing the devil's advocate here: if music's so great, why don't people learn it on their own and not make the school use money on that when they can bargain a way to use it on field trips, for example?
Because, especially in inner-city schools, the students don't have the money to pay for instrumental lessons or don't have parents willing to spend money on music. By schools providing music education, even if it's just a dorky little recorder class, they're enriching the child's life. There has also been a direct correlation shown between academic success and music, and what's the goal of the American schools system if not to raise test scores?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaR View Post
Because, especially in inner-city schools, the students don't have the money to pay for instrumental lessons or don't have parents willing to spend money on music. By schools providing music education, even if it's just a dorky little recorder class, they're enriching the child's life. There has also been a direct correlation shown between academic success and music, and what's the goal of the American schools system if not to raise test scores?
That's true, but a lot of schools don't have the money for it in the actual section. School money is split into separate pots, so to speak, so this pot of food money can only be used on food, this playground equipment money can only be used on playground equipment, so on and so forth. So if the school has no money for the arts and music, what can be done about it?

Although I do agree with music education. Helpful to the brain.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nngo View Post
That's true, but a lot of schools don't have the money for it in the actual section. School money is split into separate pots, so to speak, so this pot of food money can only be used on food, this playground equipment money can only be used on playground equipment, so on and so forth. So if the school has no money for the arts and music, what can be done about it?

Although I do agree with music education. Helpful to the brain.

Cut PE.

and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n
that if you talk enough sense, then you'll lose your mind

- I Found, by Amber Run
Old 05-03-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgebraAddict View Post
Cut PE.
NOOOOOOO
My Friday would be very boring if we're going to be stuck in a classroom all day.
Cut Home Economics Needlework and keep the cooking!
Old 05-09-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelholga View Post
I know that schools don't necessarily have much money anymore, but this is ridiculous! They're letting McDonald's be served in their cafeterias, and not to mention pink slime and E coli! They've taken away a fun, fresh hands-on opportunity to learn (field trips) and now they're thinking of cutting music?!

If these schools cut music, they're cutting the ties between excitement about school from students and them. They don't understand. What about those kids aspiring to be great musicians one day? What about those kids who feel relaxed when they play, but stressed anywhere else? Music is a medicine. And if they think that only know-it-alls, mathmeticians, writers, scientists and history buffs will emerge from their school, then their school doesn't deserve to be standing on the ground it's on!

From a calmer perspective, music offers plenty of skills, too. For instance, you learn to read sheet music and establish a steady practice schedule. This will benefit you later in life. Also, music relaxes many troubled or troublemaking students and makes them easier to control. It's magical, and if you cut music, you cut magic.
I agree. Although my music class is boring and the teacher's bad, so I wouldn't mind if my school cut music and used the money to get better food... Or allow more field trips... Or something like that.
I shake it off, I shake it off
Heart-breakers gonna break, break, break, break, break
And the fakers gonna fake, fake, fake, fake, fake
Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
I shake it off, I shake it off

Old 05-18-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Cut PE.
Thank you. So much.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Longmire View Post
Thank you. So much.

Exactly.

But I am biased, because I ran the mile in roughly fifteen minutes, so.

and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n
that if you talk enough sense, then you'll lose your mind

- I Found, by Amber Run
Old 05-18-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Exactly.

But I am biased, because I ran the mile in roughly fifteen minutes, so.
How.

Fifteen...

As I runner, I cannot comprehend. Fifteen...

Tags
lyall_areyel_was_here