Quantcast Should Schools Cut Music to Save $$? - Page 7 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Outside Life > And Now, the News...
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 05-03-2013, 10:36 AM
isabelholga isabelholga is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somewhere between Camp Half-Blood and Hogwarts
Posts: 107
Default Keep Music!

I know that schools don't necessarily have much money anymore, but this is ridiculous! They're letting McDonald's be served in their cafeterias, and not to mention pink slime and E coli! They've taken away a fun, fresh hands-on opportunity to learn (field trips) and now they're thinking of cutting music?!

If these schools cut music, they're cutting the ties between excitement about school from students and them. They don't understand. What about those kids aspiring to be great musicians one day? What about those kids who feel relaxed when they play, but stressed anywhere else? Music is a medicine. And if they think that only know-it-alls, mathmeticians, writers, scientists and history buffs will emerge from their school, then their school doesn't deserve to be standing on the ground it's on!

From a calmer perspective, music offers plenty of skills, too. For instance, you learn to read sheet music and establish a steady practice schedule. This will benefit you later in life. Also, music relaxes many troubled or troublemaking students and makes them easier to control. It's magical, and if you cut music, you cut magic.
__________________
"Hey everybody! These two aren't human! They're half Greek god! . . . they don't seem to care."
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 05-03-2013, 07:29 PM
nngo nngo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: You choose.
Posts: 4,869
Default

Playing the devil's advocate here: if music's so great, why don't people learn it on their own and not make the school use money on that when they can bargain a way to use it on field trips, for example?
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 05-03-2013, 07:39 PM
EmmaR EmmaR is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: skeleton hell
Posts: 6,943
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nngo View Post
Playing the devil's advocate here: if music's so great, why don't people learn it on their own and not make the school use money on that when they can bargain a way to use it on field trips, for example?
Because, especially in inner-city schools, the students don't have the money to pay for instrumental lessons or don't have parents willing to spend money on music. By schools providing music education, even if it's just a dorky little recorder class, they're enriching the child's life. There has also been a direct correlation shown between academic success and music, and what's the goal of the American schools system if not to raise test scores?
__________________
zooweemama
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 05-03-2013, 09:46 PM
nngo nngo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: You choose.
Posts: 4,869
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaR View Post
Because, especially in inner-city schools, the students don't have the money to pay for instrumental lessons or don't have parents willing to spend money on music. By schools providing music education, even if it's just a dorky little recorder class, they're enriching the child's life. There has also been a direct correlation shown between academic success and music, and what's the goal of the American schools system if not to raise test scores?
That's true, but a lot of schools don't have the money for it in the actual section. School money is split into separate pots, so to speak, so this pot of food money can only be used on food, this playground equipment money can only be used on playground equipment, so on and so forth. So if the school has no money for the arts and music, what can be done about it?

Although I do agree with music education. Helpful to the brain.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 05-03-2013, 09:59 PM
AlgebraAddict AlgebraAddict is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: tehksus
Posts: 16,918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nngo View Post
That's true, but a lot of schools don't have the money for it in the actual section. School money is split into separate pots, so to speak, so this pot of food money can only be used on food, this playground equipment money can only be used on playground equipment, so on and so forth. So if the school has no money for the arts and music, what can be done about it?

Although I do agree with music education. Helpful to the brain.

Cut PE.
__________________



and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n
that if you talk enough sense, then you'll lose your mind



- I Found, by Amber Run
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 05-03-2013, 10:12 PM
LaurenM LaurenM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: hungry
Posts: 6,999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgebraAddict View Post
Cut PE.
NOOOOOOO
My Friday would be very boring if we're going to be stuck in a classroom all day.
Cut Home Economics Needlework and keep the cooking!
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 05-09-2013, 03:51 PM
BriannaH BriannaH is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: in the world of YA
Posts: 1,262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelholga View Post
I know that schools don't necessarily have much money anymore, but this is ridiculous! They're letting McDonald's be served in their cafeterias, and not to mention pink slime and E coli! They've taken away a fun, fresh hands-on opportunity to learn (field trips) and now they're thinking of cutting music?!

If these schools cut music, they're cutting the ties between excitement about school from students and them. They don't understand. What about those kids aspiring to be great musicians one day? What about those kids who feel relaxed when they play, but stressed anywhere else? Music is a medicine. And if they think that only know-it-alls, mathmeticians, writers, scientists and history buffs will emerge from their school, then their school doesn't deserve to be standing on the ground it's on!

From a calmer perspective, music offers plenty of skills, too. For instance, you learn to read sheet music and establish a steady practice schedule. This will benefit you later in life. Also, music relaxes many troubled or troublemaking students and makes them easier to control. It's magical, and if you cut music, you cut magic.
I agree. Although my music class is boring and the teacher's bad, so I wouldn't mind if my school cut music and used the money to get better food... Or allow more field trips... Or something like that.
__________________
'Cause the players gonna play, play, play, play, play
And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate
Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
I shake it off, I shake it off
Heart-breakers gonna break, break, break, break, break
And the fakers gonna fake, fake, fake, fake, fake
Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
I shake it off, I shake it off

Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 05-18-2013, 11:23 AM
T.Longmire T.Longmire is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The TARDIS
Posts: 1,270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgebraAddict View Post
Cut PE.
Thank you. So much.
__________________
I went to the woods to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-- thoreau
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 05-18-2013, 12:31 PM
AlgebraAddict AlgebraAddict is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: tehksus
Posts: 16,918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Longmire View Post
Thank you. So much.

Exactly.

But I am biased, because I ran the mile in roughly fifteen minutes, so.
__________________



and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n
that if you talk enough sense, then you'll lose your mind



- I Found, by Amber Run
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 05-18-2013, 03:47 PM
EmmaR EmmaR is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: skeleton hell
Posts: 6,943
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgebraAddict View Post
Exactly.

But I am biased, because I ran the mile in roughly fifteen minutes, so.
How.

Fifteen...

As I runner, I cannot comprehend. Fifteen...
__________________
zooweemama
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lyall_areyel_was_here

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.