Quantcast KidPub Renaissance Project - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > KidPub Stuff > Questions, Answers, Suggestions
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2017, 07:29 PM

Exclamation KidPub Renaissance Project

I shall be referring to this as rproject.

!! WIP || CHECK BACK FOR UPDATES !!

Once upon a time, there was a Golden Age. Following that was the Taco Era, then the Jan14 Era, then the Middle Ages, and now we've come to the Dark Ages.

But we must not let the Dark Ages be the end of KidPubbian society. Some of us have expressed hopes for a Renaissance, but that Renaissance is no closer to fruition than it was three months ago.

We're going to have to work really, really hard to get the true Renaissance we desire. It will take a hell of a lot of work and time, but if you care for KidPub, we ALL will have to work for it.

Why should you work for it?

True, there are myriad other writing sites out there. I have accounts on Protagonize, TeenInk, and Figment myself. But they are mostly inactive and empty, because they are not the same. KidPub is different from those in that it is a small, close-knit community, or at least that's what it should be. Those other sites are workplaces, public spaces, social hubs. KidPub is home. KidPub is our community. If we're a small town with an aging population and not a bustling city, we'd sure as hell better be the sort of bucolic arcadia where everyone knows each other and the harvest is always successful and the scenery is always beautiful. We have to be a community where everyone loves and supports ALL of their fellow members, like a clan. We can't be an organization akin to JUNGLE with huge numbers that spreads its roots throughout the world, so we'd better be a group of comrades like family, damnit.

Okay, yeah, that sounds nice, but how is it possible?

Well, we need to firstly provide motivation for people to be active on KidPub. Enthusiasm breeds enthusiasm, productivity breeds productivity. Don't even tell me that's not true because I watched Deku training in bnha and consequentially wanted to burn down a building, get in shape, and take over the world. Guys, we live in times where teens are defined by apathy, and at least on KidPub, we can't let that continue. We can't be passive and just sit here, we have to WORK to improve our community even if it does take ten months of training from hell. Metaphorically. So how is it possible? Cliche though it may be, the answer is through a shitton of hard work.

What are our problems?
  • The Comment Problem
People don't comment on other people's writing. If no one pays attention to the stuff on the NSP, the writing we're all here for, then what's the point? Out of the 23 posts on the NSP, 15 have comments. While that is above 50%, it is not all of them, and it SHOULD be all of them. No one should feel like their work isn't getting the attention it deserves by being on KidPub. Furthermore, comments aren't just about quantity, they're about QUALITY. I have always been a stickler for quality, because quality is what allows life to continue. We need more comments with constructive criticism, and we need more comments actually, well, commenting on the content of the story/poem/post. This is not a callout, nor am I saying that anyone is doing something wrong. But instead of a "wow! i loved this chapter", wouldn't it be nice to get a "Wow, I really liked the insight we get into Ix's character in this chapter. I can't wait to find out what's going on with the NG! What are their motives? Plus, Lucien was so cute this chapter. Inanna and Kira are so salty, but also so goals lol". (This comment references Jill and I's cowrite Soulbound.) Instead of a "loved this!!", wouldn't it be nice to get a "I loved the rhythm and metaphor in this poem. I particularly liked how you could hear the emotion in your writing." Instead of a "I liked it", wouldn't it be nice to get a "I love the characters, and this is very promising. Some CC: the pacing is off, and the structure may need some work." After all, KidPub is for improving your writing, isn't it?
  • The Writing Drought
There are only 2-3 posts a day, and the NSP includes only 23 posts. This is largely why it feels like KidPub is dying-- a lack of what we came here for. Remember when there was basically a whole new page of the NSP each day? Everyone wrote and shared. Now it seems most people linger and chatter, but people don't write. Furthermore, people hang around on the WB without being active on the mainsite, and this doesn't help activity at all. There are 15 authors currently on the NSP, which is more than I expected, but I also know there are more of us than that. Another reason for the writing drought is that some of the older authors here feel their works are too mature for KidPub. Which brings us to my next point:
  • The Age Gap
There are two distinct age groups on KidPub: the younger, lighter-and-softer members, and the older, darker-and-edgier members. The younger members don't like the cursing or mature topics that older members post, when they should be learning something from their seniors. The older members feel like their writing is too mature for a "kids" site, they feel like they're getting too old. They also feel like the younger members are immature and don't interact with them when they should be giving guidance to their juniors. The groups don't interact with each other, which really hinders the whole "close-knit, supportive community" thing.
  • The Absence of Perry
Although we all love and admire our leader and creator, these days it almost seems as though he's abandoned us. Like he doesn't care about KidPub anymore. He's not here to address issues such as the reader counts on posts, the more stories by this author pages, and the long-broken Google search. He's not here to promote KidPub on the wider web. He's not here to help improve our home.

What steps can we take?

We all need to make an effort to comment on EVERYTHING on the NSP. I know this can be tedious, and I know most of you have lives. But if you're still here, it's because you claim to care, and if you really care, you will support each and every author in our community. So what is the first step each of you can take RIGHT NOW to help improve KidPub? You can go and comment on as many posts as you can! Remember, try to give quality comments with opinions and constructive criticism, if applicable. "I don't have time", you say? If you care, you make time. If you don't, then why are you here?

Do you have writing that you just haven't posted here? You should post it! If you think it is "too mature", I don't think you should let that stop you from posting. Many people here will still appreciate it. Maybe include content warnings so younger members aren't exposed to things they don't want to be exposed to? If you don't post it here because you don't seem to get comments-- well, post it! We are trying to fix the comment problem. If you like, you could request comments on this thread, and though I can't speak for anyone else, I, at least, will comment on your work. Are you stuck in teenage apathy or school business? Do you have permanent writer's block? There are lots of problems that make you not able to write. As far as being busy goes, if you care about it, you make time. If you have writer's block, perhaps future contests and prompt batches can help you out? Also, if you are scared of your writing being crap-- don't be. Writers write. So what if your writing isn't that great? The more the write, the better you get. All of you active members, see if you have any writing lying around that you can post this month! If not, maybe make it a goal to write a little something before May?

How else can I help?
  • Join in on or read the KP Chronicle newspaper
  • Vote on my polls KP Census March (even tho it should be April wtf @ me) and 2017 yearbook?
  • Check out my New Art Thread in the Randomize forum
  • Spread the word! Direct people to this thread.

Last edited by SilverMoon; 04-14-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:14 PM

This is a great, i wanna be part of it.

With the Perry thing though, i don't want to be rude b/c he is an amazing person for creating this site, but where did he go? I feel like, to him, KP is a project that has lost it's magic, you know? Like, he comes on when/if he remembers, to make sure it hasn't gone completely up in flames.
But that's just my opinion and i hope i'm not overstepping any boundaries there.

You have a really good point with the whole apathy/training thing. Do you have a plan as far as getting people more excited?
I would offer ideas, but i'm currently dead and have no ideas (*cough*apathy*cough*)
Down and out and missing home

(So beat a little louder now
I can't hear you anymore)
-Barns Courntey
Old 04-07-2017, 06:57 AM

Hey the rproject sounds really good. Can I help?
Ever since I came back to KP in January 2016, I've seen several arguments over the maturity of the writing here. Personally every time someone leaves because "people curse too much" or something, I think it's ridiculous, even if I don't curse myself. However, I could see where they're coming from. KP has kids of lots of different ages, so an eight-year-old might get overwhelmed by the cursing. So as I'm starting to get off-topic and make no sense, while age gap is an issue, it's not really something we could fix. We're not going to kick anyone off.
I also think the number of writing posts per day is an issue but I actually get too busy to even remember KP sometimes. I actually forgot about KP a few years ago with this stupendous memory I have. This is partially my fault, so I'll try to post something this afternoon.
Ok I'm done rambling about nothing in particular.
That's all words really and truly are.
But if that's what they are,
Then why do these "words" hurt so much?
Why?
Old 04-07-2017, 10:37 AM

Sounds good to me. I think people's work should be acknowledged so let's keep KP going
Old 04-07-2017, 12:03 PM

Alright, so we've got at least 4 people in on rproject. That's good to hear.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda View Post
This is a great, i wanna be part of it.

With the Perry thing though, i don't want to be rude b/c he is an amazing person for creating this site, but where did he go? I feel like, to him, KP is a project that has lost it's magic, you know? Like, he comes on when/if he remembers, to make sure it hasn't gone completely up in flames.
But that's just my opinion and i hope i'm not overstepping any boundaries there.

You have a really good point with the whole apathy/training thing. Do you have a plan as far as getting people more excited?
I would offer ideas, but i'm currently dead and have no ideas (*cough*apathy*cough*)
Yes! I agree with you about Perry. I am glad you care.

I am working on my plan. There are many different possibilities and I am trying to build a cohesive plan. Enthusiasm can be aided by group/community projects like the newspaper, my contests (whoops I still need to do the results for the first one), author interviews, the idea of a 2017 yearbook... there's also encouraging people to post more by having the posts that do exist get more comments, both in quality and quantity.

I myself am trying to write more and act more in an attempt to utilize my small quantities of charisma and such to become a leader of the Renaissance. Because I feel like if I don't, no one will.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS, YOU CAN'T SIT AROUND AND WAIT FOR OTHERS TO BRING ABOUT THE RENAISSANCE. IF YOU DON'T DO IT, NO ONE WILL.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanberry View Post
Hey the rproject sounds really good. Can I help?
Ever since I came back to KP in January 2016, I've seen several arguments over the maturity of the writing here. Personally every time someone leaves because "people curse too much" or something, I think it's ridiculous, even if I don't curse myself. However, I could see where they're coming from. KP has kids of lots of different ages, so an eight-year-old might get overwhelmed by the cursing. So as I'm starting to get off-topic and make no sense, while age gap is an issue, it's not really something we could fix. We're not going to kick anyone off.
I also think the number of writing posts per day is an issue but I actually get too busy to even remember KP sometimes. I actually forgot about KP a few years ago with this stupendous memory I have. This is partially my fault, so I'll try to post something this afternoon.
Ok I'm done rambling about nothing in particular.
Yes, I do not want to kick anyone off. Rather, I want to bridge the gap and allow the two groups to become more of a community. We have to allow everyone here, and we have to encourage everyone.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:11 PM

this sounds really great. i'll make an effort to try to contribute and make things possible.

~Julia
Old 04-07-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPSBlueHeart View Post
this sounds really great. i'll make an effort to try to contribute and make things possible.
Thanks Jules
Old 04-07-2017, 06:28 PM

Ena, I love you for this, and for every project you've started. I'm totally on board. I think I may end up being a good bridge between the oldies and the newbies, because I usually err on the side of child-friendly writing and hate conflict. I've tried to more or less give up procrastination for Lent, so I haven't been on as much as usual, but after Easter I can totally put more energy into KidPub, especially commenting. I've really slowed down on commenting, hmm.

Short version: I want to help!

I had an idea a while ago that sounded really silly to me, so I didn't tell anyone about it. I was thinking that maybe some of us could be KidPub Sentinels, committing to being on at a certain time weekly, so that it's more likely for two people to come on at once? The idea was also not complete, so I didn't think too much about it. Tell me what you think, and if maybe it would be compatible or helpful with others of your ideas (such as, maybe Sentinels could also be like reporters/scouts and give summaries of things that happened on KidPub (and also maybe KidMUD) while they were on?)

I'm also interested in reconciling KidPub and KidMUD. There used to be stories that centered around KidMUD and discussions on the AN and WB about it, and I would be very, very interested in seeing those discussions come back into popularity.

That's just some things that have been chasing themselves around my mind. I'd love to know your opinion.

-i found, amber run

Tags
ena was here, rproject