Quantcast Monthly Writing Contests-- Revived!!! - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Writing > Guilds
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply

Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-21-2017, 12:54 PM
alemye10 alemye10 is offline
Senior Member

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: The Ocean! I'm surfing KidPub!!
Posts: 384
Talking Monthly Writing Contests-- Revived!!!

Do you like to write? Are you looking for a writing contest to join? Great. You have come to the write place.

I've been thinking... wouldn't it be cool if we started monthly writing contests(yknow what? I'm just saying MWC from now on)? This is how I think it could work.

First I am looking for four other peeps to assist me in judging and running the MWCs. Please tell me if you are interested in having this job. (If you get the job, you may still get to be in contests, but only one judge a month can enter the contest and you can't judge your own piece.)

I haven't fully planned this out yet so I am definitely looking for new ideas. Judges would also be appreciated. Also, there is are no prizes except that we will try to give you as much publication on KP as possible. But I hope that doesn't stop you from entering.

Any questions? Comment down below. Want to be a judge? Comment down below? Have any ideas? Comment down below.

I REAAAAAAALLY hope this will work so please give me feedback! Thanks,

Alem
__________________
-----------

FEAR
Has 2 meanings.

Forget Everything And Run

OR

Face Everything And Rise

The choice is yours.

Last edited by alemye10; 07-21-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-21-2017, 03:02 PM
Zelda Zelda is offline
Senior Member

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: a lightbulb
Posts: 775
Default

*will look at this more thoroughly later*

good idea!
__________________
Try to leave a light on when I'm gone,
something to rely on to get home.

Light On, David Cook
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-21-2017, 03:18 PM
alemye10 alemye10 is offline
Senior Member

Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 384
Default

Thanks!
__________________
-----------

FEAR
Has 2 meanings.

Forget Everything And Run

OR

Face Everything And Rise

The choice is yours.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-25-2017, 06:13 PM
mischief mischief is offline
Junior Member

Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 5
Default

This idea sounds amazing!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-26-2017, 02:21 AM
Vivace Vivace is offline
Member

Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 43
Smile

I will try and think of some topics that the contests could be about.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-26-2017, 09:25 AM
alemye10 alemye10 is offline
Senior Member

Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 384
Default

Brook, thanks!

Rebecca(should I call you Rebecca or something else?), I will also think of topics too.
__________________
-----------

FEAR
Has 2 meanings.

Forget Everything And Run

OR

Face Everything And Rise

The choice is yours.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-26-2017, 12:54 PM
Steampunk Steampunk is offline
Senior Member

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,318
Default

Hello, this could be an interesting idea and I would be willing to be a judge as long as I still get to participate on occasion. Quick question, how will judging work? Will the judges read all the entries and then vote on a favorite? If so, what happens if none of them agree on the same story? Or will the judges read each entry, then assign it a ranking (of 1-10 or something) and post it on this thread to be added with the other judges' rankings and then the entry with the highest overall ranking wins? Or will it be something else entirely?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-26-2017, 01:54 PM
alemye10 alemye10 is offline
Senior Member

Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steampunk View Post
Okay, great and thanks for being a judge!

So the process of judging will go like this:

Say there were five enteries. Each judge will go on each story and give it a rating from 1-10. So say one story got a 7, 8, 6, 9 and 8. (You post the title, author and rating on this thread). One of us (I'll do it!) will find the mean for each story. That is the score. The one with the highest score wins. It is simple but if these contests thrive, we can improve the judging.

If anyone feels like they can build on this or change it into something better, feel free to let me know on this thread!
__________________
-----------

FEAR
Has 2 meanings.

Forget Everything And Run

OR

Face Everything And Rise

The choice is yours.

Last edited by alemye10; 07-27-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-27-2017, 08:59 AM
alemye10 alemye10 is offline
Senior Member

Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 384
Default

Also! I've thought of something that could be a topic.

Poetry or some sort...? Uh, any ideas to build on that maybe?
__________________
-----------

FEAR
Has 2 meanings.

Forget Everything And Run

OR

Face Everything And Rise

The choice is yours.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-27-2017, 02:46 PM
Steampunk Steampunk is offline
Senior Member

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemye10 View Post

Okay so first off, we should discuss the kind of writing we want. The original/official Monthly Writing Contest included poetry, stories, and essays. Do we want to include all of these? If so, how often? We could have a three month cycle, starting with poetry, then a story, then an essay, then starting all over again. Or we could just do it sporadically. It's all up to you Mr. Creator dude.

Another thing we still need to sort out: age groups. In the OMWC (Old/Original Monthly Writing Contest) it was sorted like this: "Each month the staff chooses one overall winner, who receives a $50 Amazon Gift Card, and two runners-up, one from an author aged 12 or older, and one from an author under 12, who each receive a $25 Amazon Gift Card." (obviously there will not be any gift cards involved in this system). So we have three options: A. Use the same system as the OMWC, with one overall winners and a runner up from each age group, B. Divide them completely into two age groups and choose two co-winners, one from each age group, or C. Mash everyone together and choose only one winner (unless you have a different idea)

As for the actual topic for this month... if we're doing poetry I've found that a vague theme is usually best and allows more room for creative flow. We could do something themed around the season the month is in (ex: summer. Beach. Heat. Etc.) or we can choose an unrelated topic.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
#alemwashere, #writingcontest, heyo, rproject, the turtles are coming

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.