//
KidPub's Never Ending Story
The Story So Far...
*shoot i forgot the asterisks*
--Lila Violet

*Thanks AuthorMind (Justin)! I actually just returned to KidPub at the beginning of November after a long break (which started in August). TechnoQueen Re, that's fine! Any posts are welcome, and I checked out that link and I think it was pretty cool! Lila, there was this girl named Cecelia that I created and she is looking for someone called W.V. The group of experienced adventurers (Sunset, Peter, Leed, Gary, and Echo) decided to join her. They started to search in the Mansion, but they backed up into a rainbow portal and appeared in a candy land. Cecelia dropped her staff into a chocolate river, and ran after it. The group followed her, and then she pretty much lost her memory right after seeing the staff. After grabbing the staff she became something like her adult self and said that "darkness took over her soul" and vanished. Her staff just introduced itself and said it could teleport it out of the candy land. However, they don't know if they should trust it. By the way, its name was Aquamarine Judgement (I don't know where I got that but it's cool, so I'm sticking with it. If you don't want to type ALL of that, you can say Aqua instead). Hopefully that helps. Going to write my paragraph now.* The staff quickly recovered and said, "I guess I could show you. I need a volunteer." The group's members looked at one another, and no one volunteered. "Well then, I'll volunteer myself. ABRACADABRA ALAKAZAM!!!" The staff disappeared in a sea of red mist and appeared very far away from them. So far away that they could barely see its red gem in the distance. "See that?" it said. It sounded just like it was still right next to them, which was odd. Nonetheless, it did teleport (and it looked cool!) and could probably get them at least somewhere other than the candy land. It teleported back. "What do you think?" it asked. Although Aqua acted a little impulsive there, it was made to fit the personality of the person who talked to it.
--IvyAndInk (Kaitlyn)

*I'm getting so inspired (and loving this)! If it is cool, I think that Wiki needs many updates and would be happy to fill in for new characters :). I never knew we had a Wiki!!! I'll add a paragraph soon (after updating the Wiki)*
--AuthorMind(Justin)

*Sorry! Quick question btw. To really spice the Wiki up, (because I feel it could help a lot of people's confusion) does anyone know what Gary and Liz look like? There are no character pages for them and I feel bad. The Wiki could be a great way for anyone to remind themselves or learn what's recently happening here. :)*
--AuthorMind(Justin)

(Make a new wiki. Don't touch mine. This isn't my NES, so don't taint the wiki for MY NES. Good day.)
--e.s.b.

(I created the wiki btw. So, you're welcome. You know what, you can use the wiki, just don't mess with 2013-14 posts.)
--e.s.b.

(I still don't like you guys / your NES, but you aren't the ones who stole it from me, so you aren't that bad. Perhaps I could reenter your reboot simply for the sake of writing practice? I could probably get a couple other people involved as well.)
--e.s.b.

(Oh, i'm so sorry, I didn't realize that was yours. I thought it was just for the NES in general, to keep track of characters and arcs and all that lovely mess ;n;. agh, what a foolish move that was on my part. Thank you for letting us use it, any and all contributions on your part would be welcome c: )
--WeTheKings Re

*I'm sure WeTheKings Re didn't mean it, e.s.b. I'm really sorry about that, though! Thanks a lot for letting us use it!*
--IvyAndInk (Kaitlyn)

*Yes I agree! The wiki is a brilliant idea and I'm sorry for the sudden impulse. I had no clue it was by you, like WeTheKings Re said. Feel free to jump into the latest installment of the NES, with our characters and where they currently are. Perhaps old ones could also enter the fray!*
--AuthorMind(Justin)

(Well, it isn't truly "mine", strictly speaking, but I was its founder. I might create a new character, if that's alright.)
--e.s.b.

*Side note, but you all can call me Re if you want, instead of typing out my entire username every time. Everybody else does ^-^. * Echo was jittering, impatient to get on the way to catching W.V. and, more importantly, getting Cecelia back. She glanced down at her trembling fingers, tried to hold them still, couldn't. She grimaced. Maybe she shouldn't have eaten all that licorice, the sugar high was getting to her. /Echo.../ A whisper, so faint it could have been the wind rustling the leaves of a tree. Echo's head snapped up, her dark eyes darting over the landscape for the source of the sound. Aquamarine Judgement had returned from her place in the distance, the others were gathering around her, preparing to go after W.V. /Echo please...we're...hear this.../ The susurrus came again, fading in and out like a radio with a poor signal, and this time Echo recognized it. She knew that voice, it's familiarity teased her memory in the worst way. "Echo, are you coming?" Sunset waved her over. His eyebrows were knit over his nose as he watched her carefully. Echo nodded quickly, hurrying over to the rest of the group. Why was Sunset staring at her? What had she been doing? Pressure on her arm startled her, and she turned to see Gary at her side, leaning in so no one else could hear him. "Are you alright?" He whispered. Echo opened her mouth to say yes, then hesitated. After a moment of internally checking herself over she said, "I just got the weirdest feeling that i'm forgetting something important.". Gary frowned, that hadn't been the answer he was hoping for. "Why? What is it?" She prompted him, he shook his head. "I have the same feeling." He admitted, "and I can't figure out what it is that i'm forgetting." "Maybe it's just this realm. You know, it's made of candy and hey, guess what, it also gives you random sensations of amnesia that have no real basis." She gave a small smile, but it faded quickly. "Yeah, maybe." Gary agreed, but they both knew that wasn't the answer. Nobody else felt forgetful, nobody else complained of missing something, and if it was the realm causing this gut-wrenching, overwhelming feeling that something extremely important, something that once lived in a protected place inside of her, was gone, then wouldn't the others have felt it too? Gary turned away to face the group. Echo followed suit. Aquamarine Judgement was busy piping out instructions to everyone, explaining this and that about teleporting, and how they would need to be extremely careful not to let go of her. while they were being teleported. Leed stood off to the side, looking vaguely bored and preoccupied, of course, he was a teleporter himself, he already knew everything Aqua had to tell. "Ok, that about covers it, now, where are we headed?" Aqua finished. One, two, five, ten seconds of silence followed her question. "You...you do know where you want to go, right?" "Yeah, well-- no." Gary sighed, "The thing is, we don't know where Cecelia went and if we go back to the mansion..." He didn't have to finish, everyone understood. With the way things worked in Gateway Mansion, if they returned they might never see this candy land-- or Cecelia-- again. Aquamarine Judgement's stone twinkled cheerily, "That's it? No worries! I can teleport you directly to Cecelia!" "You can?" Leed piped up. "Sure, no problem, since she's my original owner I can trace her aura and teleport to her location." "Great! Let's go, before anything else happens." Echo chirped. "Hold on," Leed held up a hand in the universal 'stop' signal, "If you can teleport to Cecelia so easily, why didn't you teleport out of the lake earlier?" Aquamarine's light dimmed ever so slightly. "Details." She muttered, "That's not important, what matters is that I can get you to Cecelia, and maybe even W.V., don't look a gift horse in the mouth." Leed pursed his lips. This all seemed fishy to him, and he didn't appreciate being scolded like a child, but this was also their best shot at getting Cecelia back, so he joined the group and, like everyone else, took hold of the staff. It was less than a second, but all of eternity was compressed into that itsy bit of time. Leed was well accustomed to that sensation, the crushing and stretching and squishing and expanding all at the same time, all continuing on endlessly and yet all lasting an impossibly short amount of time. The laws of time, of physics, hell, of anything, didn't apply mid-teleportation. The group popped off the bank of the candy river, and when they popped back into existence, dizzied and jello-kneed, they were in a castle. Leed was the first to recover. He dusted himself off and peered around while the others were finding their bearings. They were in a vast room, with a soaring roof and brown walls. Wood? He approached the nearest wall and tapped it with his hand. No, gingerbread. So, they were still in the candy realm, and Cecelia was nowhere to be seen. He pivoted away from the wall, scanning the area. There were no windows, and only one door, which seemed to lead further into the castle rather than out of it. "I thought you said you could take us to Cecelia!" Sunset had recovered, and was seething at Aqua. "It's possible that my tracing gets off course sometimes," Aqua hummed, then quietly added, "Or all the time." "Why didn't you tell us that?" "Listen, I wasn't that far off!" Aqua snapped, "Cecelia is here, somewhere in this building, I can sense her. "
--WeTheKings Re

*would it be alright if I added a character of my own somewhere down the line?*
--WeTheKings Re

*Omg @Re I don't see why not! How exciting! Let's also try and keep track of the MANY characters who have been involved in the NES as well. :)*
--AuthorMind(Justin)

*@Justin, that's a good idea! We could make our own Wiki, or if we just want a list-type thing we could try Google docs?*
--WeTheKings Re

*@Re, as great as that sounds, doesn't it sort of feel like starting over? That'd be a lot of work and remembering XD. Idk what to do. I'll add a paragraph here soon.*
--AuthorMind(Justin)

(you can just add to the wiki. It's not difficult. There's a category for characters. Look out there for new character forms/info - I'll be adding one soon. I can add which characters are from which eras. I can also keep a record of the writing in the nes like I used to)
--e.s.b.

*@Justin, I'm not sure I follow what you want. Do you just want everyone to remember the characters we're using atm? Sorry, I didn't mean to imply starting over, I just meant that if you wanted an easy way to keep track of characters we could try something like what the generation before us did, something like Ena's wiki.*
--WeTheKings Re

*No worries, guys lol. The already existing wiki is a great idea, which we could stick with. If anyone could do me the favor of adding a picture for Leed's page, I'd be forever grateful. I don't have an account with wiki.*
--AuthorMind(Justin)

*@Ena, (I didn't see your comment earlier sorry) but that would be very helpful :) *
--WeTheKings Re

(Thanks guys. I can handle a lot of the wiki stuff. I'll make a character soon.)
--e.s.b.

A crack beneath the single door glowed orange. Could Cecelia be on the other side? As the five walked forward, (with Aquamarine Judgement in close pursuit), Leed whispered to the ruby, "Teach me that sometime!" Noticing a skull shaped knob, Peter first put his hand to it. He gulped before turning.
--AuthorMind(Justin)

*I'm sorry to say this, but I'm not sure if my parents would let me edit the wiki... Is it fine with you if I just let it go?* Aqua, noticing Leed's amazement, glowed happily. Peter, however, was too busy opening the door to notice. He pulled on it. Once, twice, three times. It didn't budge. "Locked," he muttered. He glanced at the group anxiously. But right when he was about to tell them, a lava red and shining gold blur zoomed past him and burst open the door in a dazzling display. Pieces of gingerbread flew everywhere, surprisingly not hitting anyone. Aqua was where the door was standing, looking happy about what she did. "I just BLEW UP A DOOR! I've been wanting to do this for years!" Everyone stared at her for a while, wondering if they were going to get blown up just like the poor door."Erm, never mind," she said. They all peeked through the door. Although Aqua did cause some ruckus, they still weren't noticed, if there was anybody in this place. There was a giant factory before them, making lollipops of some sort. It put them into boxes, labeled "Catastrophic Cupcakes." The boxes were lifted up and out of sight. Cecelia was still no where to be found. Sunset glanced over at the staff. "Are you sure this is where she is at?" But at the same time, a desperate voice shouted, "Someone's here! Please, save me!" They went in the direction of the voice. They found a shadow of a figure, but not the figure itself. The shadow stuttered, "My name's Kyle, you must get me out of here! Someone has stolen me, and only my shadow is left! I need someone to become a shadow of someone else or else I'll vanish!" The group glanced at each other, wondering how anyone could steal someone else and leave their shadow behind. Sunset was the first to speak. "You can become a shadow of me," she said. She didn't want anyone else to get hurt, and they needed to get to Cecelia more than anything else. "Thank you so much! I owe you my life!" Then Kyle, whoever he was, became a mirror version of Sunset, and did everything that Sunset did when she decided to do it. Even if she decided to bounce around on a unicycle juggling burning torches while doing a handstand and reading a book, sure, Kyle would follow her around. It was actually nice to have a shadow for once. She never had one before, that's for sure, since she was in the Mansion most of the time. Peter, right before Kyle became her shadow, said, "Wait!" The shadow froze. "Have you seen a seven-year-old girl around here?" The shadow nodded, and replied, "I saw her a minute ago! She ran past me yelling something about yellow clothespins and teal gelatin. Why do you ask?" Everyone looked at each other again, wondering if they should answer. Then Gary answered, "We're trying to find her." Kyle seemed okay with the answer, and then became Sunset's shadow. "She went that way," said the shadow, pointing further into the factory. Still wondering what lay ahead (especially if it had to do with yellow clothespins and teal gelatin), they continued to move deeper into the factory.
--TinselTanglesTwirl (Kaitlyn)

*What exactly do you mean by letting it go @Kaitlyn?* Echo had never been more confused in her life (and she knows Gateway Mansion well enough). Everyone ventured past an arsenal of candy machinery. Licorice whips rained from the ceiling. This was definitely not another dimension anymore.....but the Mansion itself......turning into candy from the inside out! Leed and Gary whispered to each other as they hurried. Sunset's shadow danced vigorously around the factory, concerning Peter that this Kyle fellow may not be trusted.........
--AuthorMind(Justin)

*Imma introduce a character now. Just a heads up that this guy has been in the NES before, back when some stricter rules applied to new characters that restricted them from staying with the group, just to clean up the NES, so he knows Echo, Gary, and possible Peter (?), and a little bit about Gateway Mansion, but not much. Quick question; do you want a bio or no?* As they walked, Echo fretted at the ends of her hair, twisting strands, and occasionally bringing a few dead ends to her mouth. The sensation was back, and it twisted her gut in all the wrong ways. They traveled down the hall, their footsteps didn't echo, it was as if the gingerbread absorbed the sound and spit out silence in it's place. The effect was eerie. As they approached the end of the hall they saw that it was blocked by yet another door. Warily, the group shifted away from Aqua, just in case she decided to blow up this door too. But that wasn't necessary, because not more than a moment after they reached the towering door, it opened from the other side. Kyle paused in his dancing, frozen and at the ready in case danger crept through the cracked doorway. He had already lost his own body, he wasn't about to the shadowy compression of his self too. Admittedly, the level of frustration that came from floating, a helpless bundle of dark matter, was enough to drive him to recklessness. He would be glad when this was over and he had his body-- and his power-- back. Someone grunted on the other side of the door, and the whole group tensed. Through the gap came a man. Thin, wiry, and so tall he had to duck, despite the fact that the doorway was at least 6 feet tall. He had a strange look to him, a thin nose, crooked lips, and half a head of neon green dreads. He didn't notice the group at first, he was busy muttering to himself. Then Peter cleared his throat. The man glanced up, clearly surprised. "We just keep running into weirder and weirder people." Sunset murmured under her breath. Kyle chuckled. The man turned his gaze on her, and flashed a smile that was shockingly white against his coffee-stain colored skin. "Well hello there." He purred, his eyes skimmed the group. Echo, watched him, hoping to whatever powers there may have been at work there, that he wasn't going to attack them. The last thing they needed was another setback. That was, of course, all he would be if he did attack. A setback. At least, that's what she told herself. His gaze flickered over her, and for a moment Echo could have sworn recognition flared in his eyes. In the back of her mind, the sense of /wrong/ amped up the slightest bit. "You're missing people." The dreads guy stated finally. Peter looked surprised, "Yeah, actually, have you seen a little girl around? We're looking for her." The dreads guy's eyes glinted in the light. "N-, I mean, yes. She tumbled that direction a ways, I think she was talking to herself. Something about teal clothespins and yellow gelatin, or purple socks and maroon lampshades or--" "Yellow clothespins and teal gelatin." Kyle interjected. Dreads snapped his knobby fingers, "Bingo." "Great, thanks for your help." Peter said, shifting anxiously from foot to foot. He was impatient to get on the move again, but Dreads was blocking the way. "You," Dreads pointed right at Echo, "Is..." He hesitated, "Your name is Haze- no, Echo. Right?" A cold spear of fear struck Echo in the chest. He shouldn't know that, he was a stranger, he shouldn't know her name. She managed a tight nod, which Dreads responded to with a frown, then he pivoted on his heels and disappeared behind the door. "Come on then, I'll show you where the little clothespin girl ran off to, i've already been through this part and it's a bit confusing if you don't know where you're headed." He called. The group exchanged glances. It was Peter who made the first move. With a lopsided shrug and a quiet sigh he broke into a stride towards the door. What other option did they have?
--WeTheKings Re

*Sorry, I meant that I won't be editing the wiki, since I'm not sure if my parents would let me. I get all kinds of wordy when I get nervous. By the way, Re, I loved your paragraph. And did you mean a bio of the character you introduced?* The others followed Dreads through a twisting, winding path. A newly made labrynth, it seemed even more determined to get them lost and confused. However, Dreads seemed to know a lot about this maze, and made a left, a right, a left again, with complete confidence. After maybe an hour or so of walking, they found themselves out of the maze and another door was in front of them. They were getting used to all of these random doors, but this one was colored differently, an eerie, dark change from the cheerful gingerbread rooms around them. It was a dark violet with black swirls twisting around themselves like ivy. It also seemed to be locked, so Aqua took action once again. She zipped toward the door, like an ambitious athlete in a marathon, and crashed against the door with all of her might. This time, however, it didn't budge. Not even a dent was made. However, Kyle spotted something out of the corner of his eye and checked it out. Was it a lever? There was something hanging off of it. He moved closer, bending the light's angle so it made him tall enough to reach it. He realized, just then, that it wasn't a lever, it was something you'd probably hang a coat off of. However, there wasn't a coat on it, there was a key hanging off of it, matching the door's lock perfectly. "Hey guys! Were you looking for these?" Kyle said, grabbing the key and waving it around. It made a familiar metallic tingle. Gary was the first to look over at the keys. Before Gary could say anything, the keys glowed. "Ow!" Kyle dropped the keys. "Definitely not meant for a shadow." Sunset picked them up. They were still warm from emitting the light. Same colors, and it looked like it could unlock the door pretty easily. Cautiously, she pushed the key into the lock and turned them right. She pushed against the door. It didn't open. She sighed, realizing her mistake, and turned the key the other way, left. This time, however, she heard a click, and the door swung open without any effort. They found themselves in an amethyst cave of some sort, matching the color of the door. The black swirls were all over the place. No gingerbread in sight. "Are you sure this is where she is?" asked Kyle. Dreads nodded. "This is where I saw her." There was stalagmites everywhere, making it a good place to hide if Cecelia was here. It was so dark they could barely see. Only Aqua's glowing led the way. Kyle, being his detail-oriented self, thought he saw a figure out of the corner of his eye. "I thought I saw somebody over there!" he whispered. They all snuck closer and only found a black silhouette of a girl on the purple wall. She looked like she was sitting and looking toward them. "Cecelia?" asked Sunset. The shadow of the girl nodded sadly, but didn't say anything. "Aw, she got stolen too?! Well, at least I'm not alone," Kyle said after realizing she was who ran past him earlier. "Maroon gelatin and teal lampshades..." she said sadly.
--TinselTanglesTwirl (Kaitlyn)

*Ohhh! It's totally fine @Kaitlyn. So long as we continue the great arc, maybe characters aren't too big of a worry. I understand there is a Wiki, but don't stress it too much if we get lost a bit :) And btw, could anyone explain what powers the others have? All I know is that my character Leed can teleport lol.* Purple and pink lights brightened up the cave. On the outside, Gateway Mansion remained a normal-looking estate with pointed roofs and narrow windows. Cecilia and Kyle, because they were shadows, could interact with each other. He offered her his hand and she took it gingerly. "We should be moving closer to W.V., not farther away!" Peter huffed. Sunset slipped her arm through his. Leed nodded in agreement and turned to Dreads as if he had the answers. "Who are you? Where do you come from? Can you take us to the villain responsible for stealing Kyle and Cecilia's human forms? Talk. Now!"
--AuthorMind(Justin)

*I'm glad you understand! I can't remember what Sunset does, though I faintly remember something of her increasing someone's power. All Peter gives me is a blank, and I think Gary is just the person who found Gateway Mansion in the first place (with Liz). So far, Aqua can break doors and teleport people. Kyle... you'll learn about him later. You know Cecelia already, she's just a girl with some awfully odd thoughts, and an even stranger backstory. Sorry this is so short, I want to give Re an opportunity to explain who Dreads is.* Before Dreads could even speak, Cecelia said, "I know who did this." Everyone turned toward her. "Did what?" asked Leed. "Took me away. I think it was something like V.W." she replied.
--TinselTanglesTwirl (Kaitlyn)

*@Kaitlyn, Thanks, you wrote great paragraph! And yeah, a bio for my character. I remember having to put one up for Raya like, three years ago, but the NES has definietly changed since then so I don't know what the procedure is now. :P // As for characters, I know nothing about Peter or Sunset, but Gary and Liz don't have powers, and Echo can morph into an arctic wolf (I think), as can her sister Hazel (Hazel also has telepathic abilities). That's all I remember right at the moment, if I remember anything else I'll post it.* "W.V." Peter corrected. "Are you sure?" Cecelia queried. Peter opened his mouth to answer, only to snap it shut again and shrug. "We should move on." Gary pressed. He was beginning to get impatient with this constant stopping and bickering, Peter had been right when he said they should be moving closer to their mark. A quick glance around proved that everybody was as antsy as he was, except the dreads guy, who has listed away after Leed started snapping. "But move on to where?" Echo voiced the question that they were all wondering. To where indeed, they had been inside this candy mansion for an age and a half, and all they had gained were two shadows and a random dude. "We need a better way to track down W.V., this is ridiculous!" Peter muttered. "Guys, listen!" Cecelia huffed. Being young had it's drawbacks, like getting ignored a lot, for instance. Her outburst succeeded in re-capturing the attention of everyone in the room, including the shadow holding her hand, and the tall guy pacing along the back of the room. "Like I was trying to tell you, the thing that took me away, I think it's still here." There was a tangible pause. Gary cleared his throat, "Here as in, the mansion?". Cecelia shook her head slowly. Her free hand shifted up, a finger pointed to the ceiling. "Here." She breathed.
--WeTheKings Re

Echo and Sunset were too afraid to peek. Leed adjusted his glasses, straining his neck as he traced Cecelia's finger to the ceiling. A massive cloud of faces manifested above everyone! Lightning crackled from within the void, and screams immediately rang through the amethyst cave. A powerful breeze swept between the Gateway gang and an assortment of candies spun in all directions. It appeared that the cloud of faces acted as a vacuum, one that not only absorbed the human forms of gifted youth, but the tons of candy that filled the indoor factory. Where was this candy from? How could Kyle and Cecelia retrieve their normal selves again? Gary desperately wished Liz was with him at the moment. He pushed his mushy emotions aside. "We've got a fight on our hands, people! Stand your ground!"
--AuthorMind(Justin)

(Check the wiki for my character. I will probably wait for an opportunity to use them.)
--e.s.b.

Aqua, from pure instinct, glowed brighter than before. She'd rather have her form taken away than have everyone else be shadows for the rest of their lives. She automatically scanned the ceiling, as she had no sight and needed some other way to tell what was going on. She suspected that the clouds were enemies, but she found out her scans shockingly denied it! She floated there, stunned from the results. *Meanwhile...* Kyle, however, took action almost immediately and pulled Cecelia behind the stalagmite again. No one would want to lose her after so much effort put into finding her. However, he couldn't understand what happened afterwards. All he could see was flashes of bright light before him, reminding him of the time he became a shadow in the first place. They were the same color as he saw earlier. However, they were going in reverse order! What was happening to him? When he finally realized this, they had already stopped. He felt... more real. He looked at himself, stunned. He was back! *Another meanwhile...* Cecelia was completely bewildered. Why was she hiding behind this rock? She should be fighting! She started to stand up, but then was blinded by a second of bright lights. She recognized them almost instantly, but they were gone before she could confirm that she saw them before. However, she still had to do something, so she grabbed her staff and aimed it toward the clouds. Aqua refused to do anything, though, even though her owner was telling her to do so. What was wrong with her? Then Aqua's scan results popped into Cecelia's head, and now she was just as stunned as her staff. However, she recovered much more quickly than her staff, and shouted, "Wait! Don't fight them! I have something to tell you!"
--TinselTanglesTwirl (Kaitlyn)

*My character is also up on the wiki now, I don't know how to add his link to the Character page though, so here; http://gateway-nes.wikia.com/wiki/DreamFreak# @e.s.b., if it's alright with you, could you maybe add my character to the list?* The others, occupied by the vortex of faces and shadows on the ceiling, ignored Cecelia. She was young, and they did their best to respect her, but sometimes, every now and then, they forgot that she was just as powerful as they were. Echo was the first to attempt and attacks, she closed her eyes and let her human form vanish, claws pushed their way out of her fingers, her teeth elongated, sharpened, her ears pinched and twisted into long point wolf ears. In a matter of moments she was an arctic wolf, crouched and ready to lunge. She could sense surprise in the air, whether it was from the newer members of the group, or from the vortex above, she couldn't tell. She growled, the vibration rattled the back of her throat in a comfortingly familiar way, and wild energy pulsed through her veins. Oh, she had missed this. The vortex shifted, a shadow streaked down towards the group, a face riding like a mask on the front of it. Echo crouched lower, tracking the movement of the shadow with her sharp eyes, the moment it was close enough she sprang. The taut muscles of her powerful haunches rocketed her up and forward, jaws open, she aimed for what she hoped was the shadow's neck. She sailed nearer and nearer, her fangs were millimeters from the shadow. And then she froze. Midflight, she stopped, and so did the shadow. Neither of them fell, neither of them moved at all. Panic coursed through Echo like an electric shock. What was going on? Below her, the others were equally as confused, they stared, wide-eyed. "The little girl was trying to say something." Dreads mentioned calmly from his place standing at the back of the cave.
--WeTheKings Re

(Any time you think would be a good time to write in my character? I think you've got enough going on in this scene, but I'd like to get them in ASAP as long as there's an opening)
--e.s.b.

*Re, I read your biography, nice job describing him! e.s.b., I'm going to try to convert this battle scene into a traveling scene. They can meet your character along the way!* "Thanks," she said gratefully to Dreads, who seemed to be the only one who noticed her. "I didn't mean that those clouds took away my form. They are just inhabitants of this cave. I was pointing at something else." She pointed toward the ceiling again. They looked at where she was actually pointing, and saw a kitten with plunger shoes (shoes that have suction cups on the bottom, pretty much something I made off of the top of my head) stuck to the ceiling, hanging upside down and looking at them innocently. They couldn't tell much about its appearance because it was so dark in the cave. "It was not V.W. - I mean, W.V. - it was that kitten. I think the kitten did it without realizing it, though I don't know where the plunger shoes came from." While Cecelia was saying this, Aqua scanned where Kyle was standing and realized he vanished. She thought it was peculiar, but she couldn't do anything about it now, as everyone was busy in their own affairs. In fact, she couldn't tell them at all. Since she has her original owner, she loses her voice and personality. Now it is up to the group to notice that Kyle had disappeared... *Meanwhile...* The group decided that they should leave the clouds alone, since they seemed harmless. Cecelia found the key to getting back to her real self. She pet the kitten (of course, it was hard to do since it was stuck to the ceiling, but she managed). Now that was fixed. However, since they had found Cecelia in this gingerbread castle, now they had to think of where to go next. Of course, they need to find W.V., but they had no idea where he was. And going back to the Mansion... that would be torture. They finally agreed that they needed to get out of the gingerbread castle first. Back through the mysterious door, the maze, the factory, another door. The first time they went through, they entered and there was no exit, but this time there was, and they exited. They were along a chocolate river that looked quite recognizable. The sun was just setting beyond the horizon, lighting a crimson fire in the sky. But then they saw someone coming toward them, walking along the river. Who was this? *Now you can insert your character, e.s.b.! Like the setup?*
--WindOfTheWillow (Kaitlyn)

(Oh, ok! Thanks!) This person was short, with unusual dark pink hair and unnaturally pale skin, but their clothing, at least, seemed normal. As they walked towards the group, seemingly unaware of its presence, they could make out that the stranger appeared to be a child. The child balanced on a log on the bank of the chocolate river, eyes closed as they hummed cheerfully and walked with a spring in their step. Despite their eyes being shut, they seemed unconcerned at the lack of sight and unafraid of the dangers of lacking vision. At the end of the log, perhaps twenty feet from the group, they paused and cocked their head. The humming stopped. Then they opened their dark green eyes with a gasp. "Wow, humans!" They exclaimed in a cheerful, fruity voice before skipping excitedly closer. "It's been long since I've come across anyone! Who are you? I'm Mallory! Nice to meet you!" They grinned wide-- a bit unnaturally wide.
--e.s.b.

"Well..." said Peter, glancing at the others. Of course, he was wondering if he should trust them. However, they did give their name almost immediately, like Kyle did. Wait, where was Kyle, anyway? Oh well, there's no time to look for him now. Sunset nodded toward Peter, signaling that he should continue the conversation. "Mallory, I'm Peter, this is Sunset. Over there is Gary, Leed, and Echo. *I forgot Echo last time, whoops! Glad I can edit things like this.* Cecelia's the one carrying the staff, which is named Aqua," Peter finally finished. Sunset smiled back at her and asked, "How are you today?" She was hoping not to get Mallory on their bad side.
--WindOfTheWillow (Kaitlyn)

Mallory tilted their head, blinking up at Sunset in what seemed to be confusion. "How... am I? I am fully functioning..." They furrowed their brows, muttering under their breath.That didn't sound right, but they couldn't figure out what other answer Sunset would be looking for. The girl gave an awkward polite chuckle. "No, no, like how are you feeling? Good, bad, alright? Happy, sad?" Mallory seemed to seriously consider the simple pleasantry of a question. What a strange child. "Hmm... Pretty good, I think!" They gave another too-wide grin. "Oh, what about you guys? Where are you going?" They inquired, eyes shining with curiosity.
--e.s.b.

*is the character portrayal in this alright?* "Um, we're not sure." Sunset answered. "You are lost." Mallory stated. "Pretty much." Sunset shrugged, there was no point in denying it. Now that they had recovered Cecelia, they were back to square one as far as catching W.V. went. "You look lost too, d'you want to join us?" Cecelia piped up, shouldering her way to the front of the group to greet the new person. She held out her hand to Mallory, who stared at it, blinking. A moment passed before Mallory answered. "I...do not think that I am lost." They said carefully, "But I will join you." "Great!" Cecelia beamed, her hand was still thrust in front of her. When Mallory didn't respond to it, Cecelia reached forward and took one of their hands to shake. Mallory waited passively, allowing the young girl to wiggle their hand up and down. They were unsure what the purpose of this gesture was, but they had no reason to stop it. When Cecelia finally let go, and the group began to move on, Mallory inserted themself near the back of the group. A tall man patted their head, they only came up to his hip. Again with the touching. Mallory pursed their lips, closed their eyes, and walked on with their newly acquired pod of humans. *Edit: I apologize in advance for any misgendering of Mallory, I keep catching myself using female pronouns for them. sorry*
--WeTheKings Re

(nEWLY ACQUIRED POD OF HUMANS GOD BLESS. also where can I purchase one of those I want one. character portrayal is good. Btw does anyone know enough about Sunset, Peter, Cecelia, etc. to give them wiki pages?)
--e.s.b.

*Human pods may be purchased wholesale at your nearest park. Target also sells human pods at a slightly lower price. Kaitlyn created Cecelia, so she should be able to make that wiki page, idk anything about the other two*
--WeTheKings Re

(Thanks for the tip ;) ) "Say," Mallory began after a couple minutes, eyes remaining shut, "Do you have a plan for becoming un-lost? I want to know how long we will have to walk for," they explained, pouting slightly. Sure, Mallory had the stamina to continue walking for quite a while, but that didn't mean they /wanted/ to.
--e.s.b.

*Re, thanks for letting me make my own character description about Cecelia, but I can't go and edit it the wiki. I'm afraid that I'll type something offensive without realizing it, or get in trouble. HOWEVER, I can describe Cecelia and post it as a new story, then you can copy and paste it into the wiki if you'd like to. That sounds like a plan? I may also make one for Kyle. He's going to play a BIG role in this part that I'm writing. I don't know much about Sunset and Peter, though...* "It sounds like you need a ride!" said a fairly familiar voice. The group looked toward their left, where the voice was coming from, and they couldn't believe their eyes. There was a spaceship in front of them, and someone was coming out of it. Although the person was not as tall as Dreads, he was tall enough to look intimidating. The first thing that caught the group's attention was his eyes. A brilliant blue, they seemed to make everything brighter. He had shiny, midnight black hair and was wearing a uniform with a professional name tag. It said, "Kyle Shannon. Space Patrol." They were shocked. Was he the same Kyle they saw earlier? There was no other Kyles around... There was an explosion of questions. Where did the other Kyle go? Who is the new Kyle? What is he doing here? He explained that he WAS the shadow on the wall, that they DID save his life... Yup, same Kyle. They finally accepted him. He even still had the keys from the mysterious purple door leading to the amethyst cave. They actually had good luck for once, because being in a spaceship is definitely better than walking. However, they still needed to decide where to go (Mallory was definitely even more confused than before)... Dreads, being the detail-oriented person he was, noticed a bit of paper on one of the walls of the spaceship. He read it. "Say my name and I disappear," it said. "From the person you've always despised." Seems like a riddle of some sort. No one else seemed to notice it, though. Should he tell someone?
--WindOfTheWillow (Kaitlyn)

(Hey about Cecelia and Kyle that sounds good. Just post it here and I can make the wiki pages for them :)) Mallory began humming again from their seat in the spaceship. They swung their legs back and forth; their legs weren't long enough to reach the floor. Mallory was still unsure about what was happening or what the human pod's plans were, but they weren't complaining about not having to walk through the candy dimension anymore. Their eyes were open now as there were new things to observe; there had been no point in the candyland. Mallory had known its terrain, and it had gotten boring fast. They noticed the tall man with the dreads who had patted their head looking at a slip of paper with furrowed brows. Well, it didn't concern Mallory. Anything that didn't concern them certainly wasn't important.
--e.s.b.

*I believe Ruby made Sunset and Peter.....she doesn't get on as much anymore. I'll add a paragraph soon ^_^*
--AuthorMind(Justin)

*Hopefully Ruby gets on soon, I miss her! I'm going to be type up Cecelia's and Kyle's profiles sometime today/tomorrow... However, I'm getting kind of busy so please don't expect them right away.*
--WindOfTheWillow (Kaitlyn)

For the moment, Dreads kept shut. He scanned his surroundings as the group checked out Kyle's spaceship. "Who even are you?" Gary asked in amazement. The team so far felt disoriented after all of the random events that occurred. Echo observed throughout the giant cockpit that Kyle's controls were super advanced and complicated. "I can use this vessel to get us to our TRUE destination........W.V. My archnemesis." Leed's jaw nearly hit the spaceship floor. Sunset admitted how surprised she was, too. "The paper on that wall is in fact a riddle with a map that can guide us to W.V's hiding spot. He was your friend, no?" Kyle gestured to Cecelia. She nodded enthusiastically, sadness showing in her eyes as she remembered a past with W.V. What turned him so evil? Why was he tormenting Gateway Mansion? Could he be creating illusions to distract the Gateway Gang from a malevolent plot????
--AuthorMind(Justin)

*Here's Kyle's profile. Sorry if it's kind of short. I tried to include the sections that the other profiles had. If I'm missing something let me know! Kyle's profile is as follows: Appearance - His short, midnight black hair is combed down neatly with bangs just above his eyebrows. His shining, brilliant blue eyes seem to make everything brighter when you look into them. He is wearing a very professional outfit with a neatly formatted nametag that says the following: "Kyle Shannon. Space Patrol." He is tall enough to look intimidating when he needs to, but is actually a kind person. Personality - He is usually a laid back person. When you get him talking about W.V., however, he is quite serious and always has a plan for "getting revenge." If you get him into a fight of any sort, he is always more defensive than offensive. Powers - He seems to have none as of yet, but he seems to be quick to take action and does most things without making a sound. History - He has something against W.V. and cares about Cecelia a lot more than he has to. From his nametag, you can assume he may be a leader or soldier of some sort. Activities - In the Cecelia-W.V. arc (I hope that is its correct name) he has saved the group from having to worry by giving them a ride and a clue that actually holds a map to W.V.'s destination.*
--WindOfTheWillow (Kaitlyn)

*Also, here's Cecelia's profile. Her profile is as follows: Appearance - She has a waterfall of curly midnight black hair that flows down to her mid-back. You can gaze into her deep violet eyes and can never see the end to the generosity and innocence behind them. Her hot pink shirt features a monarch butterfly resting on a daisy. She has jeans faded to just the right shade of blue to match anything she wears. Her dress shoes seem to be slip-on's and are decorated with swirls of all colors. Personality - As she is only seven years old, it would seem reasonable that she acts child-like and playful. Whenever she sees a kitten she wants to pet it. Whenever she sees a butterfly she wants to catch it. She loves meeting new people and doing new things since she wants to forget her horrible past and look toward the future ahead of her. Powers - She doesn't seem to have any powers, but she carries a staff named Aquamarine Judgement, or Aqua for short, that only she can communicate with. How she got it? No one knows. History - In the time the Creator was around, she was trapped in his lair with someone that went by W.V. While Sunset distracted the Creator, they managed to escape. Then Cecelia and W.V. split up to explore the area around the Mansion. However, they met again later and W.V. was not himself. She is wondering if what he said to her is true, and if they could get his past self back. Activities - For now, she is exploring Kyle's spaceship and attempting to solve the bewildering riddle that supposedly leads to W.V.*
--WindOfTheWillow (Kaitlyn)

*Now I'm going to add my paragraph.* Whatever W.V. had planned, it definitely did NOT sound good, especially with what Cecelia had to deal with. He was much more friendly back then... Cecelia sighed. She can't go back now. She decided to wander over and read the riddle. "Say my name and I disappear. From the person you've always despised." She recognized it almost immediately. She knew the answer in the back of her mind, and really wanted to say it. But something else was nagging her and telling her no. To her relief, Kyle was explaining what the riddle meant and she didn't have to tell anyone. "See, it says 'Say my name and I disappear.' That seems almost impossible to figure out, right? Well, I have this book..." Kyle pulled a huge book that seemed almost one hundred thousand pages in length (that may have been an exaggeration, but trust me, it's GIGANTIC). He started flipping through the pages, and found the page he wanted. "This book is full of riddles and the answers to them. On page 628, right here, it gives the answer to the riddle. The answer's silence. Does that ring a bell?" Suddenly the riddle made a lot more sense. Everyone nodded. "That is actually the name of a solar system not too far away from us. But there are about one hundred fifty-four (154) planets in that solar system! Well, I also found something else out." Kyle headed toward the sheet of paper that had the riddle written on it in fairly neat handwriting. Then he held it at such an angle that it unfolded into a large map. The title? "Map of the Silence Solar System." It had one small planet circled. "This," Kyle said, pointing to the tiny planet, "is the key to everything!" It almost seemed like pure magic as he held the paper at a different angle and it refolded itself. He hanged it back on the wall and also closed the book. Right before the book vanished into thin air, Cecelia got a glance at the cover and widened her eyes. She couldn't believe it, just couldn't.
--WindOfTheWillow (Kaitlyn)

Login or join KidPub to post a paragraph

KidPub's Never Ending Story

In Gateway Mansion there are many, many doors. Some lead to great and at the same time terrifying adventures. While others simply lead to darkness and storage spaces. Nevertheless, two young siblings, Gary & Liz, inhabiting Gateway Mansion never know what is around the next corner. Because, in such a topsy, turvy place, your next move, your next breath, could be your last.

Now, with the help of young authors all around the world, the chronicles of their adventures are being revealed. You, too, can take part in piecing together their Never Ending Story.
(thanks to Kiowa~*, Kati, Lauren, Gabby and others for that great introduction!)