//
KidPub's Never Ending Story
The Story So Far...
As Cecelia opened her mouth to explain, Sunset caught Echo looking at her and suddenly felt a rush of memories hit her like a brick to the stomach- Echo was not just openly calling for Sunset to read her mind, but the amount of pleading Sunset was getting from Echo made it clear that Echo wanted Sunset to see something. Sunset had fallen to her knees and even though her eyes were open in reality, she was sorting through Echo's mind. Secrets she never knew about Echo opened up and Sunset felt sick inside. Echo had lost everybody she loved. Sunset could relate to that feeling, after accidentally murdering everybody she loved and then spending an eternity alone. Echo had a similar feeling in her head. When Sunset was finished, she returned to reality and everybody but Echo was surrounding her. "Sunset, are you okay?" Peter asked.
--Misanthropy (Ruby)

He offered his arm. Sunset took it and put it around her neck, squeezing together. They walked slowly, further down the warping hall. Echo carried a painful aura that Sunset struggled to ease. For young adults like themselves, why was losing loved ones so common? And now, Cecilia kept an eye out for her mischevious companion. Eventually, our dear team stood smack dab in the center of a cross path. Beneath them, tiles shook. Walls peeled away to show cavernous rock. Could this be some sort of lair? A trick the mansion was playing on them? Where were those darn orange eyes?
--AuthorMind(Justin)

*Sorry, I made my paragraph at the exact same time as AuthorMind (Justin) did... whoops. I'll make another after this comment*
--Sparkles&Stuff (Kaitlyn)

Cecelia knew they were getting closer... no, father away. She couldn't tell anymore. This was bad. She glanced at the map of the mansion. How could it get so complicated? This was getting her nowhere. She considered leaving, and finding him herself. Alone. That way she didn't have to hide anything. But how could she just leave them stranded here? They would think she was a traitor, even though she wasn't. She couldn't abandon them now. The temperature started rising, for absolutely no reason. She kept an eye out for something that might be temperature control. A lever... a button... a switch? No, nothing. She was getting overheated, and wanted to take off her jacket. But she didn't. She couldn't yet. She should only do it when absolutely necessary. She can't reveal the item she was bringing along... and she definitely couldn't use its power.
--Sparkles&Stuff (Kaitlyn)

Cecilia hid the item secretively. Peter spun around, trying to notice odd movement in the shadows. This area had quite a bunch of space, and routes that lead to distant possible deaths. Echo whistled. "Hellooo?" Sunset glared at her like she were nuts. "We could wake something!" Peter laughed. "I've dealt with a fair share of creatures, both mystical and futuristic. Doubt this is some dragon's nest." They wouldn't split up no matter what! Cecilia edged near a wall and felt for buttons. Hot air rushed through every direction. A potential fire source...
--AuthorMind(Justin)

Cecelia's hand bumped into something the felt a lot like a button. In fact, it was a button. She looked at it closely. There was a note above it, handwritten, that said, "Try pressing the button if you dare! Just be aware that there are consequences for every breath you take, and every step you make." Cecelia stepped back from it, took a deep breath, and came closer to it again. Could it be? She adjusted her glasses. The handwriting... it was recognizable! She had a feeling this wasn't just temperature control. It was something else. Then where was the hot air coming from? She had this odd feeling telling her to press it. She pressed it. Nothing happened. She pressed it again. Nothing, nothing at all. There must be something else... something else that gets triggered by it. Meanwhile, Sunset, Peter, and Echo noticed that Cecelia stopped to look at something.
--Sparkles&Stuff (Kaitlyn)

Cecilia pursed her lips and blinked. "Hey, I think I got it!" She declared. The others appeared lost. "The tiles on the floor....As I press this button, each one of you needs to be standing on a certain tile. They're special and should guide us to my friend." Echo nodded. "Ooookay, so where do we stand?" Peter had the exact same question. Sunset brushed a strand of hair from her face. "Well, the routes lead in directions from all corners of the floor, so I guess you could try standing on a tile in front of every tunnel." Her hand remained on the button. Peter picked a tunnel on his left. Echo went forward. Sunset veered to the right and stood on her tile. These tiles under them happened to move just like Cecilia predicted. Her hidden item felt heavy in her jacket. With the wall button stilled held in, she watched as the cavern melted into an abode, comfy and normal. The current space was indeed a room with a ceiling of average height, simple glossy walls, and had a fireplace. Made sense with the temperature change and all. The cavern had only been an illusion and Cecilia solved the puzzle! Sitting in a chair, fluffy with red lace, was her friend. His expression was still. Orange eyes peered into her consciousness.
--AuthorMind(Justin)

To Sunset, Peter, and Echo, he looked like a villain-to-be. When he saw Cecelia and the others, he greeted them with a smile. This smile didn't seem to be a friendly one. It seemed to be... evil. He stood up, and looked down at the small, six-year-old girl in front of him. "I see that my little girl has come back... with visitors! How surprising..." he said. "You call this a lair?" Cecelia asked, looking around. "Nah, you pressed the wrong button. You have found my hologram, not me," he replied. "I'm here for something other than another task to take," she said. "Really? What is it?" he asked. "You can change your mind about what you've been doing, starting now." Cecelia pulled out that one item that created the outline in her jacket, that one item she had been hiding all this time... a staff. Sunset, Peter, and Echo wondered how it could have been possibly could've fit into her jacket. It was made of pure gold, and the ruby on the top glowed with a strong magical aura. All of its power, contained in such a small space. "Oh, you've found my staff. That was to be expected," he said, without giving the staff a second glance. "Give me my life back. Remove the darkness. Be what you once were! This isn't you. I know the you that I knew before is there. Bring it back!" Cecelia said with force. "Oh, the story hasn't ended yet. You can't stop me now... that would be boring! And I'll have my staff," he answered. "No! First you have to promise me that you will stop your shadows from entering my heart and my mind," Cecelia said. "You know I can't keep a promise like that... don't you understand my plans for you? The bright future you will have?" he said. It was so tempting to give in. She couldn't do that yet. "No, and I don't intend to. You were wrong from the beginning, and you plan to continue, don't you?" she replied. "I guess I have no choice... have fun being stranded, for the rest of your life!" He laughed maliciously, and his hologram disappeared, leaving Cecelia there, quite discouraged. She hid the staff back into her jacket and kept looking down. She gotten all of them trapped. She should've got alone in the beginning... Sunset, Peter, and Echo saw everything, and were rendered speechless. Now that he was gone, they have regained their voices and could speak again. What a scene!
--Sparkles&Stuff (Kaitlyn)

Echo glanced at Cecelia again. "How did that staff fit in your pocket?" was the first thing that popped out of her mouth. Of course that was the first thing she thought. She couldn't have asked about the boy or his weird plan. Luckily, Sunset did. "What was he talking about?" she wanted to know. At nearly the same time, Peter asked, "How do we get ourselves un-trapped?" Sunset smiled just a bit. 'Un-trapped?' Echo couldn't help thinking about Fawn, even though he probably had nothing to do with this.
--rainbow cupcake {luna}

Cecelia looked at everyone, one by one. All the questions! She answered them one by one. "Echo, the staff fit into my pocket because my jacket has endless space inside it. Sunset, I can explain... just which thing would you like to know about? Peter, I don't know yet..." Cecelia still kept in some disappointment that was still stuck inside her. She couldn't believe she didn't actually find him and didn't get what she wanted. Oh well, there's always next time... if there will be a next time. At least this place was comfy.
--Sparkles&Stuff (Kaitlyn)

Indeed it was. And while Cecilia's friend had ended his hologram, the group sat in red laced chairs. Sunset wanted to hear this. "Start talking! If not for you, we wouldn't be in trouble all over again! Gateway Mansion was supposed to be free of any more drama..." Her voice caught in her throat with tears forming at her eyes. Peter held his breath, awkwardly staring between the two girls. Cecilia was stunned. Embarrassed as well. Echo no longer wanted to be there. "Sunset, I-I..." Cecilia choked. "Gateway Mansion called out to me. I knew I had to come and see him.....no matter the history of this place, It's just....unavoidable." Ironically, floors and walls began to shake again. Furniture shrunk down into nothingness and for once the Mansion was on their side, bringing them back to the front entrance where Gary and Leed had bustled in. Cecilia fixed the staff in her jacket, (being very spacious). Peter sighed in relief and also ran to give Gary a bear hug. "Long time no see, bro! Any good news?" Gary chuckled. "I could say the same, pal. Nah, Leed and I are continuing the search tomorrow. His parents haven't shown." Sunset looked to Leed, who kept his head down in sadness. She wished she could give him an embrace, or something to cheer him up. Echo shook off the creepy vibe they had gathered in the cavern/hologram abode. With this many Mansion residents, they'd be a lot safer united.
--AuthorMind(Justin)

"I have caused so much trouble..." Cecelia said, looking down. "I should've went alone... I'll leave." She was hoping that everything would be better with her gone. Everything would go back to normal, and they would be fine. Since they had nothing to do with any of her problems, they shouldn't have helped in the first place. It's not that it was wrong to help, but it wasn't worth the trouble. She made them go through all of that to get nowhere... Guilt washed over her, but she kept her expression firm.
--Sparkles&Stuff (Kaitlyn)

"No way," argued Echo firmly. "The Mansion has already swallowed me and everyone I love. Leaving now would be quitting. I'd be giving up on them, and I'm not going on you or anyone else in this room. You're all I have left. I can't lose this camaraderie now. If you leave, I'll live a boring, plain life. I've always liked the thrill, but more importantly, I won't be able to help you or anyone else. So you're staying, no matter what you say. Don't try to argue with me. You're not leaving, and that's final."
--rainbow cupcake {luna}

"Oh..." She was hesitant to argue, but she wanted to get the point across. "But what about him? If I stay I won't get to him. If you'd like to go with me, I could arrange that. But I can't stay... I promise I'll come back if I get the chance," she said. She was preparing the staff for something. She needed to use its power... this once.
--Sparkles&Stuff (Kaitlyn)

Echo sighed. "Then I guess I'm going with you, then," she said. "I am not letting you go on your own to deal with this. No one should deal with these kinds of things alone. I've already learned that for myself. So many people have helped me, so now it's my turn to help you. Besides, finding that...object is hopeless anyway."
--rainbow cupcake {luna}

*Should Sunset and Peter come along or do you think they should stay?* "What object? Um... never mind..." Cecelia said. She didn't want to make Echo uncomfortable, especially when she was helping her. She looked at the glowing, lava red ruby on the golden staff, then looked at Echo. *It doesn't show my full name for some reason... I'll try to shorten it* *There, I got it.*
--Fireworks! (Kaitlyn)

*I don't want to leave Sunset, Peter, Gary, or Leed out so I think they should all come, unless their owners choose not to. I'll just let Ruby and Justin speak for their characters.*
--rainbow cupcake {luna}

*Okey dokey... I guess I'll wait for them*
--Fireworks! (Kaitlyn)

*Daw, thanks for waiting for me! Though I can't speak for Sunset, who Ruby has made, I can say that I was hoping to connect the orange-eyed fellow with Leed's missing parents! Would that be a good idea (to add some suspense and action!)? After this comment I'll write a paragraph.*
--AuthorMind(Justin)

*That would be just fine.. maybe we could connect him (the guy with the initials W.V.) with Echo's missing family and over people too... Nice idea!*
--Fireworks! (Kaitlyn)

Cecilia didn't dare to provoke any of the others. Yet Gary stepped forward and turned to Leed. "Looks like some serious problem has gone down. They seem like they really need our help, man." He crossed his arms. Leed arched his eyebrows, fixing his glasses. "My parents wouldn't want me to spend my time worrying for their return. I love them and trust their promise. We can scout again after Cecilia does what she needs to do." Echo smiled. Gary lifted his hand for a high-five. Leed joined in and walked over to the girls. Peter felt like he shouldn't react before Sunset, especially since he cared about her as her boyfriend. "Um, babe?"
--AuthorMind(Justin)

*i think it's a great idea. Echo has an older brother named Cameron who she hasn't seen in a long time, and parents she doesn't remember so I think tying her, Leed, and oranged eyed dude together would be cool.*
--adventure of a lifetime {luna}

*Okay! I won't be on here much today, though. Here's my paragraph!* "I'm glad you guys would like to help..." Cecelia said. "But if we get into any trouble, I'm going to give you an early apology, since I might get you into a pretty big mess. I think I can explain what... um... Orange-Eyed Guy is doing while we're on our journey."
--Fireworks! (Kaitlyn)

"Will you stop apologizing already?" sighed Echo. "We chose to do this." She smiled. "Besides, Trouble is my middle name. So, Peter, Sunset, you guys coming? It's okay if you aren't."
--adventure of a lifetime {luna}

"Sorry about me apologizing..." Then Cecelia realized what she did. "Oops!" *I think the last time I heard from Ruby was that she was out skiing. I don't think she will be here for a while. I don't want to leave her characters out, so maybe we can control them while she's gone?*
--Fireworks! (Kaitlyn)

*I think I can solve the problem* Gary removed his phone from his butt pocket. "Peter, Sunset, facetime us when you decide to tag along. We can't lounge around any longer while that fool takes over this Mansion! Leed, Echo, Cecilia, and I will get a head start. See you there, or not!" The four spun and jogged up a rotating staircase as it pulled them into a changed section of Gateway. Echo almost fainted from the speed...and poof! A carpet rolled out under their feet. Intricate patterns in gold peeled off and floated above. Potted plants bobbed enthusiastically, signalling an absent gravity. Cecilia found herself lifting, and Echo struggled to get a hold of an object to keep her grounded. "There's no way this is outer space..." She huffed. Leed wobbled. "Take each other's hands guys. I can bring us across." The four formed a chain of hands and closed their eyes. Leed willed himself to pop up on the other side of the stretch. They pixelated away and materialized in mid-air at the end of the carpet. How the Mansion carried a total void of zero gravity, Gary, Echo, Leed, and Cecilia had no clue.
--AuthorMind(Justin)

"Whoa," said Echo. "That was cool. Any specific direction we need to go?" As they watched, a rusting silver door appeared in front of them, as if it was being drawn by some invisible giant hand, bit by bit. Intricate patterns formed along the surface. Then the door finished making itself, and solidified completely, it's knob ready to turn. "Like through this door, maybe?" offered Gary. *Also thanks Justin, I think you fixed it.*
--adventure of a lifetime {luna}

*I should've been here earlier, thanks for solving that* "Um..." Cecelia said. They were literally dragging her along this whole time, since she was just standing there, staring at W.V.'s staff (I'll just call him by his initials for now). "I was about to do something, but since you pulled me away I dropped the staff. I think we need to go back and get it," Cecelia said.
--Fireworks! (Kaitlyn)

*hey guys. yes, I have been skiing and I still am but I found a place with two bars of reception to add a paragraph lol* Sunset was shaken up about everything, Peter knew, but she wouldn't admit it. She was pale, but still was completely focused and Peter swore he could almost see the ideas spinning in her head behind her eyes. "FaceTime Cecelia and tell her we can meet up later. We will be more effecient if we split up. I can use my powers to bring us together if needed. Plus, if they find something, we can have the element of surprise. " Sunset stood up finally, and Peter was relieved that they were finally doing something. "Okay Sunset, lead the way." *sorry it's small, I'll try to come on more and update Sunset's POV so you guys aren't stuck, sorry about that*
--Misanthropy (Ruby)

*It's fine! Just remember Cecelia left the staff behind... but Sunset and Peter don't see it. Where did it go? Hmm...*
--FlopFish (Kaitlyn)

*I'm going to start this back up again, everyone seems to be stuck* Cecelia looked at everyone expectantly. They didn't seem to hear her, so she said, "I dropped my staff... I have to go and get it. You can stay here, I'll catch up with you." Then she ran off back the way they came. No one had a chance to stop her before she was out of sight. *Wow, that was short. But I guess it would be a bad thing if the paragraph was tall... Haha, get my pun?*
--FlopFish (Kaitlyn)

*has the NES really resulted to cringey jokes lol* Sunset confidently walked forward towards a room she thought might have some clues- the riddle room. Although the riddles could sometimes be difficult to work out, she used to use them back when she was stuck in the mansion to help her predict any future danger. It could tell them where Cecelia's friend was, or something even more useful. Or nothing at all. It occasionally did that. Sunset took a deep breath in and stopped suddenly. Peter bumped into her and muttered an apology before standing next to her. "Okay, the next room is a riddle room. It is designed to confuse you, but some of the riddles can be helpful.. I need you to write down the riddles you hear, and try not to get too confused by the chaos as it is quite intense." Sunset told Peter. He nodded, silent. "Please don't forget why we are here while you are in there." Sunset added. Peter nodded again and gave Sunset's hand a squeeze before letting her lead the way.
--Misanthropy (Ruby)

*I don't know.. no one was on here, so I had to do something, and since Luna and Justin aren't checking I'm stuck with a frozen group!*
--FlopFish (Kaitlyn)

As Sunset scribbled down a ton of riddles, Peter waiting for her in anticipation, Leed along with Gary and Echo paused on the other expanse of carpet. Objects continued to float helplessly. They watched as an eager Cecilia ran, (though it looked more like she was rapidly moving her legs without going forward since she too was floating), and Leed bared his teeth. "Crap! I'll come back. Stay put..." He dematerialized and reappeared holding Cecilia's hand. "Let's go find that staff! Your old friend, he sure hides in the strangest locations of the Mansion."
--AuthorMind(Justin)

*Sorry. Had a lot on my plate! At least I got to add this one paragraph lol ^*
--AuthorMind(Justin)

Peter tried to write some riddles down, but the words spun in his head and it started to give him a headache. He wasn't used to the mansion like Sunset was and needed to get used to it. Although he missed some words here or there,he got enough down to satisfy himself. "How do we get out?" He asked Sunset when it looks like she was done. She smiled grimly. "We have to solve one of the riddles of the riddle master. Cheesy, I know, but it looks like the mansion is addicted to making it hard for us. Come on, I'll lead the way to him." Peter threaded his fingers through Sunset's and she lead him to some stairs, climbing them carefully. After going through a door at the top of these stairs, a man stood before them. "Hello, Sunset. It's been a while. Ready for another riddle?" He asked, although Peter swore he couldn't see the man's mouth moving.
--Misanthropy (Ruby)

*Really, Justin? You've been eating all this time? Aw shucks, I couldn't resist typing another really bad joke on here.* "I agree... he's strange nowadays," Cecelia said. "If we go back the way we came, surely we'll find the staff." *That was also short... I'm getting kind of lazy and not checking this place often, and when I do come here I don't really have many ideas!*
--FlopFish (Kaitlyn)

*Ahhh, I see what you did there! Lol good one ^*
--AuthorMind(Justin)

*same kaitlyn. Hopefully we can all keep it going though.*
--Misanthropy (Ruby)

*I'd post if I actually had any ideas...*
--adventure of a lifetime {luna}

*Thanks, Justin. I could probably joke all day... Ruby, what is it going through... a wall? Whoops. I really think that the wall is a wall of my jokes.*
--FlopFish (Kaitlyn)

(Luna, would Echo like it if Willow came back...? I don't have the time and energy to work on the new one right now but I can post occasionally if you'd like? At least it'd get the ball rolling for you guys or something. I could also do Colin or Laia or Rijul (Laia's younger brother) but I'd much prefer Willow as she was the first oc on the NES for me)
--Scilloideae (*Jill*)

Hey would you guys mind if I join? (And if I can will someone please sum up what's going on right now please?)
--Norah

*Sure, I will happily do it for you tomorrow but um I've had 2 hours sleep and my back is stabbing me but ill make sure to do it when im better. Check out the latest newsletter for a summary of what has happened recently*
--Misanthropy (Ruby)

*Nice! For those that need to be filled in, here's what we know and what has been written: The Creator (a highly disliked villain who had ties to the character Sunset) was recently defeated. Thanks to a combination of some teenagers with abilities, (I forgot how many), Gateway Mansion was restored to it's usual random self. Except now a girl by the name of Cecilia has arrived and brings news of a boy with orange eyes, someone from her past, and he is not to be messed with. If anything, she seems to know her way around the Mansion and even possesses special items...Our group currently works to put an ends to the orange-eyed guy (shortened to W.V.). Classic character Liz has been busy with school and classic character Gary (her brother) joined Cecilia after trying to help my dude Leed retrieve his missing parents. Echo is with them along with Peter and Sunset (cute couple). Cecilia recently dropped her staff...she's gotta snatch it back! I'll post a paragraph soon*
--AuthorMind(Justin)

*mmhm. I'm only here for Echo, so.*
--Scilloideae (*Jill*)

*Wow, I haven't been here in a really really reallllllly long time. Thanks for summarizing what's going on, Justin. That was awesome-er (uh, I don't think that's a word) than anything I could do. It's just that it's Cecelia, not Cecilia*
--FlopFish (Kaitlyn)

*Oops, I'm sorry* So, with Cecelia closely following Leed, on the outskirts of the gravitational field, the two backtrack. Gary and Echo eagerly watch from afar as Leed notices Cecilia's staff spinning out of control. He reaches desperately, bobbing this way and that. "Almost have it!" He shouts. "But I'm not letting you go...we'll float into oblivion!" Glowing a healthy, magnificent light, the staff inches into Leed's grasp. Lengths of carpet swirl around them. Cecelia thanks Leed before he pixelates beside his friends Echo and Gary once again. W.V. had to be put to an end. Gary traces a constellation out of the void and a doorway solidifies. Echo barges through, taking note that gravity was back to normal in this new room. Our group tumbles in, free of floating, and scans their whereabouts. Conveniently, Peter and Sunset happened to be standing above them, silly looks on their faces. "Funny way to meet up! How can we help?"
--AuthorMind(Justin)

*It's fine! As long as you're here I guess we could keep this moving. Just one thing, who said the "How can we help?"*
--MooKittens (Kaitlyn)

*I guess Peter.*
--AuthorMind(Justin)

Login or join KidPub to post a paragraph

KidPub's Never Ending Story

In Gateway Mansion there are many, many doors. Some lead to great and at the same time terrifying adventures. While others simply lead to darkness and storage spaces. Nevertheless, two young siblings, Gary & Liz, inhabiting Gateway Mansion never know what is around the next corner. Because, in such a topsy, turvy place, your next move, your next breath, could be your last.

Now, with the help of young authors all around the world, the chronicles of their adventures are being revealed. You, too, can take part in piecing together their Never Ending Story.
(thanks to Kiowa~*, Kati, Lauren, Gabby and others for that great introduction!)