/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ KidPub's Never Ending Story | KidPub Press //
KidPub's Never Ending Story
The Story So Far...
*Jill, I'm afraid it is. No one has posted here in a month... However, someone could try restarting it, if they wanted!*
--SolarShimmer

**sad to see this story go. It was so long!
--Just Another Writer

*I agree with you, it had a very long history. Although I wouldn't be on often to continue it, I could try restarting it for the rest of us! What do you think?*
--SolarShimmer

*So I read the wikia to catch-up and it looks like it's not completely up-to-date as far as what I remember. If anything happened after they all went outside for the midnight picnic I wasn't here for it, so I'm going to post as a continuation from that point and hope I'm not completely wrong lmao. If I'm wrong then ignore my post.* The night sky was cloudless and stars twinkled brightly. Crickets chirped, hidden from view, and a soft breeze carried their song far and wide. Despite the explosion earlier and Echo's absence, everyone pretended to be relaxed, though there were a lot of cracks in their masks. Icicle gnawed her bottom lip until it bled, and Sunset couldn't stop wringing her hands. Freak's eye was cornflower blue-- it almost looked normal like that-- and even Liz hugged Gary a little tighter than she might have normally. Only Mallory seemed completely unbothered. "Okay," Liz said, letting go of Gary. Silence followed her comment, she cleared her throat and started again, "Okay...who wants to go first?" It was Peter who stuck his hand in the air, behind him, Mallory mimicked the motion, but didn't say anything. "So it's like this..." Peter began, and launched into an explanation of everything that had happened-- everything that he remember anyways. Once in a while someone would interrupt, tossing in their own tidbit of information, but Liz listened to everything intently, nodding along to certain parts. At the end, she crossed her arms, looked at the ground, and said nothing for a long time. "Liz?" Gary whispered when the silence had gone on for too long. "You don't remember anything before that? You don't remember anyone?" she asked, looking up. The expression on her face teetered dangerously close to heartbroken. Gary opened his mouth, closed it, opened it again, "Bits and pieces," he said at last, "I remember you, the mansion. Sometimes I think I'm starting to remember something else, and then my head starts to feel like it's splitting in two." "Like what's happening to Echo," Icicle murmurs. "Yeah, like that, only mine go away as soon as I stop trying to remember and hers just keep going," "Right, well then, time to make some decisions," Liz grimaced, "Pressing issue number one; you guys have some kind of memory block or something. Pressing issue number two; Echo is headed downhill fast by the sound of things. Pressing issue number three; no one knows where the missing members of our group are, I thought they were with you and none of you can even remember they exist," Freak pursed his lips at this, but said nothing. It didn't matter that he remembered them if he didn't know where they were. "And pressing issue number four; there are a bunch of enslaved people stored somewhere in the galaxy and their freedom evidently relies entirely on our ability to identify and counteract this...goop." Liz paused, waiting for someone else to speak up. "I vote we focus on issue number four," Gary said, taking his sister's hand, "It's the only one we're even remotely equipped to handle." "I want my memory back!" Sunset protested, her voice held the faintest of tremors and her forehead was creased, "I hate this, I hate not remembering anything." "I know, we all feel the same," Gary soothed, "but we don't have the first clue on how to get our memories back, and every minute we waste is another minute those people are suffering. Besides, for all we know some of those people are our friends." That silenced Sunset, she pressed her lips into a flat line, and nodded. "I agree," Icicle said, and Peter nodded along with her. "Okay, it's settled then," Liz said, "Tomorrow we get to work on freeing those people."
--spook

“I think I can be of some assistance,” a voice said from the gloom. The moon was out, but only as a crescent, and all they could see of the newcomer was a vaguely human form. “Who are you?” Liz demanded nervously. The figure stepped closer. Now they could see it was a tall teenage boy, his hair close cropped and raven black. His skin had a tan, and his amber eyes glittered in the dark. “Don’t you remember me, Lizzy?” He asked with an easy smile. He stepped closer and surveyed the group in front of them. “You seem familiar,” Gary muttered. But he couldn’t remember the boy’s name. The boy raised an eyebrow, impatiently. “Are you seriously telling me you don’t remember me? All the time stuck at this stupid school,” he complained. “Just waiting for something interesting. Fine. My name is Stephen.” He looked around, hopeful that mentioning his name had somehow jogged their memories. *haha I can’t remember if I re-introduced him or not but ya go. And yeah I know his hair originally had a white streak but it’s gone now because his hair was shaved and is just growing back like normal sooo*
--Luna {semi-hiatus}

At the sight of the newcomer, Mallory only blinked and tilted their head. "How will you be of assistance?" They were clueless to the heavy atmosphere concerning the humans' corrupted memories and the not-so-new newcomer's arrival,
--egocentric little scribbler

Stephen blinked, taken aback by the strange child in front of him. “I can help free the people that you guys were talking about, or something,” Stephen replied awkwardly. “I don’t know, but I can’t take another day sitting in that school, with my memories of the Gateway Mansion slowly fading away!” He exhaled. “So, what’s happening to Echo? And who is this child? Also, where did everybody else go?” He furrowed his brow in confusion.
--Luna {semi-hiatus}

"I am Mallory, my current purpose is to assist my human pod." Mallory answered, pulling a vial of orange liquid from their back pocket, "we are learning about this, it will help us help other people which will...accomplish something...?" they glanced to the other members of the group for a better answer, but everyone was too busy gawking at the vial. "How did you get that?" Liz huffed, reaching to take back the vial. Mallory held it behind their back, expression the picture of innocence, only for Icicle to pluck the vial out of their hand from behind. Mallory didn't react, except to narrow their eyes. "O-kay, well that's one question answered, sort of. Anyone else feel like filling me in?" Stephen said with a quick-fading smile. "We don't have time for more questions, if we want to be anything more than floppy sleep-deprived bags tomorrow we need to get some rest," Peter said. Freak, who had been occupying himself with finding a safe place in his satchel for the vial of orange liquid, looked over at the mention of time. "Stephen," he said, and in two heartbeats and the blink of an eye, Stephen and the Freak were standing apart from the group, Stephen nodding, arms crossed, as if he'd just been privy to a long and strange explanation. Liz and Gary shared a confused glance, but said nothing. "I'm helping," Stephen said decidedly, turning to the group as if he hadn't just clipped to a different location. "The hell was that?" Peter murmured, giving voice to what everyone else was thinking. "It doesn't matter, what matter's is; I'm helping you get our friends back. Whatever you need, I'll do." Stephen said, uncrossing his arms impatiently, "Please, they're my friends too." "Okay, I guess that's decided then," Liz said, eyebrows raised, "Tomorrow I should know what the orange chemical is and we can start making an antidote," "It's sodium pentothal and iron," Mallory said casually, once again drawing the attention of the entire group. "How could you know that?" Liz asked. Mallory shrugged, "I tasted it, remember?" they said, as if that cleared things up. "Great, yeah, that solves everything," Liz said, her tone uncharacteristically sarcastic. The late hour and the stress of it all was getting to her. Stephen stepped towards her, as if to comfort her, but caught himself and stopped before he could touch her. "Hey, this is good right? We know what the stuff is now, we can start working on an antidote right away," he said. "After we get some rest," Sunset added, "Right, after we get some rest," Stephen agreed. "All this talk of sleep and none of you are going to bed," Freak spoke up quietly. He nudged Stephen-- the closest person to him-- with the back of his hand, "go on then, go sleep." As a group as a whole began moving sluggishly towards the chaplain, it really was ridiculously late. Liz hung back, stooping to pick up the picnic basket even as she was smothering a yawn. She had to clean up the remains of the picnic before she went in or the school would have her head. Freak stopped her, taking the basket. "I'll tidy up, you go to sleep," "I got it," Liz brushed him off, reaching for the basket again.Her eyelids drooped and another yawn was fast coming on. Freak poked the middle of her forehead with a long finger, pushing a little until she was staring up at him. "Bed," he said with the kind of finality that you didn't argue with when you were tired. "Mmph," Liz mumbled some sort of half-hearted protest, but shuffled off to join her friends anyways. Finally, it was just Freak, who busied himself with folding up the picnic blanket, and Mallory, who had decided they were very much rested and even more restless. Freak glanced at the lightening sky, and hummed to himself. Who knew what tomorrow would bring.
--spook

Login or join KidPub to post a paragraph

KidPub's Never Ending Story

In Gateway Mansion there are many, many doors. Some lead to great and at the same time terrifying adventures. While others simply lead to darkness and storage spaces. Nevertheless, two young siblings, Gary & Liz, inhabiting Gateway Mansion never know what is around the next corner. Because, in such a topsy, turvy place, your next move, your next breath, could be your last.

Now, with the help of young authors all around the world, the chronicles of their adventures are being revealed. You, too, can take part in piecing together their Never Ending Story.
(thanks to Kiowa~*, Kati, Lauren, Gabby and others for that great introduction!)