//
KidPub's Never Ending Story
The Story So Far...
*I don't know if I can do anything to add stuff... I have the craziest ideas but most of the times they are good. People might not like my ideas so.....*
--Quartz

*I'm sure your ideas are awesome :) I did read some of your stories and they are great! Feel free to join in whenever you're ready, though, I don't want to rush you. I just need to write a paragraph, and after that you can do whatever with it :)*
--LightningLexigraphy (Kaitlyn)

*Here's my paragraph! It's kind of lengthy...* According to Cecelia, now all our heroic adventurers have to do is wait. So, all of them stared at the book, sure that when the next scene pops up, Cecelia will jump up and exclaim, "This is the one!" But no, nothing happened. For a long time, this went on and on. However, right when Cecelia was about to close the book and give up, the painting flashed once again, signaling that it changed its portal's location. She glanced at it, thinking it was probably the wrong one. This time it was actually the right scene! "This is the scene that'll lead us there! I knew it would come back!" Cecelia said, excitedly. Some of the group who gave up on looking at the book came back over, realizing that hope wasn't completely lost. Before they went in, they got a chance to examine the painting. It was very detailed and realistic, as usual, but this didn't look anything like a lair. It looked more like an ordinary house. There were comfortable chairs surrounding a fireplace, and it was burning, distributing a peaceful warmth across the room. A mysterious figure was sitting in one of the chairs, holding a cup of tea. Since they were only seeing the back of this figure, they could only tell that the figure had midnight black hair, which was surprisingly the same shade as Cecelia's and Kyle's. Since it was only a painting, they did not see the person moving, they would only see movement if they actually went through the portal. Cecelia was about to jump in when Aqua stopped her with a translucent red wall. "Wait a minute. So you guys think we're all going to jump in there?" asked Aqua. "You know that Gary and Echo have headaches, so they'd have to stay here. And someone would have to stay with them." Everyone glanced at each other. There was an odd silence for a few seconds. Aqua did make a point, they should stay. They could potentially be brought into danger if they went through the portal and they definitely weren't in the condition to deal with it. Sunset, aware of these things, said, "I'll stay." The see-through red wall faded the moment she said it. And then it reappeared again, to the frustration of Cecelia. "Are you sure?" asked Aqua. Sunset nodded, and the wall disappeared - for good this time. Cecelia jumped through almost immediately, almost as if it was her destiny to finish this quest of hers, and was followed by Aqua, Freak, Mallory, and Peter. Kyle found the correct painkiller right after Peter went through and approached Sunset. "Here, have this. It may help them," he said, gesturing toward Gary and Echo. And then he went through the portal as well. The group was greeted by the warmth of the fire. The portal worked! Cecelia, however, didn't look at her surroundings and ran into the next room like there was no tomorrow, holding her staff. Kyle seemed just as panicked when he realized Cecelia ran into the next room without looking around first. He sped into the next room like the world was ending in three seconds and the machine to disable the operation was in the next room. The rest of the group glanced at each other with perplexed looks on their faces but went into the next room since there wasn't anything else to do. Besides Mallory. They found an interesting timepiece and placed it in their pocket, thinking they may be able to discover its operating system and somehow relate it to a human's. Once the group, including Mallory, got in to the next room, they realized they were in a lab of some sort. And the mysterious figure they saw in the picture was looking out the window on the far side of the lab. They found themselves frozen in place, even though it wasn't because they were firghtened. Kyle stopped Cecelia from talking to the figure, and instead spoke himself. "Hello, sir, we're looking for someone called - " He cut himself off as the figure turned toward him, immediately recognizing who was in front of him. Orange eyes. Crooked smile. Everything was the same as before. "You're looking for someone called W.V.? Well, you are certainly in the right place," said the figure. "The only thing that you need to do is step once to the right." Kyle narrowed his eyes in suspicion. The figure noticed, and said, "Well, if you doubt me, you could step once to the left." Cecelia, being the closest to Kyle, also found the figure familiar... But not a comforting kind of familiar. She was shocked. "Father?!" she said, finally figuring out who this was. The figure, which was W.V., turned toward her. "Oh, I see what's going on. You and all of your silly friends are going to try to save the world, and I'm the villian. I have no time for games right now, Genevieve." Cecelia gasped. "You - you called me - " She was too alarmed to finish her sentence. "Octavian! Don't do that to her!" Kyle said, enraged. "First you give her a life limit, and then you reveal all of her personal information!" W.V. smiled at Kyle's frustration. "Octavian. I love that name, Demetrice. You should've never mentioned it. And I'm doing her a favor, though you may not realize it." Kyle glared at W.V., silent for the moment. W.V. glanced over at Cecelia again, and noticed she was holding a staff. His eyes lit up in interest. "What do we have here?" Cecelia held the staff protectively. "It's mine," she said. "I'd give it to you if you gave me my life back." @No, no, no, this wasn't part of the plan!@ yelled Aqua's voice in her head. @I don't want to live with that freak!@ &I'm desperate. I promise I'll get you back afterwards.& replied Cecelia. @Uh uh. Not doing it.@ Aqua repeated. &But - & Cecelia was cut off as Aqua zipped out of her hands, glowing brighter than before. W.V. reached for Aqua, but she was skilled in the dodging department and glided past him with no problems. Cecelia gave up on the idea of getting her staff back and decided to do the plan that Aqua suggested. She focused on the one vial in the lab. It contained a glowing, white liquid, and a warning saying it was radioactive. She focused on it more. She heard a faint clanking noise, coming from it. Each time a bubble popped inside it, she heard a clanking sound, and the bubbles were popping every half second or so. She sneaked over toward it while W.V. was chasing the staff and Kyle was looking amused. She picked it up, carefully. This was the vial she needed, alright. Abruptly, she dropped it. Glass went everywhere as it crashed to the floor. But there was no liquid to be seen - it all evaporated. W.V. stopped running, and Kyle stopped smiling. W.V.'s eyes stopped glowing orange as soon as he stopped running. Cecelia realized his eyes were actually violet, like hers. "What just happened?" W.V. asked, looking around as if this place were another planet (which it was). Out of the corner of their eyes, the rest of the group saw a shadowy figure zip past them and out the door. But they also noticed they weren't stuck in place anymore. They rushed toward the others. "Sorry that we couldn't help," said Peter. "We were stuck." Freak nodded, but Mallory just looked confused. "Did Cecelia remove her father part?" they asked. This was going to be a lot of explaining... *A few hours later, after explaining some things to Mallory...* They got to know W.V. He was being controlled by something until Cecelia destroyed the vial it was held in. Although whatever powerful being that was in there was released, now W.V. acts just like he should. They also discovered Kyle was W.V.'s brother. W.V. disappeared from the Space Patrol awhile ago and Kyle was told to find him. So that's why they met him in the first place. W.V. didn't know exactly what he was doing while he was being controlled, and he doesn't know who was controlling him, either. By the way, Cecelia finally got her life back. Mostly, if you put a Life Limit on somebody (it's an enchantment) you give them a certain amount of time to live. She was pressured into coming here and persuading him to undo it. And the names they used while they were arguing - Genevieve, Octavian, and Demetrice - they didn't really explain them. No one asked about them, either, because they assumed it was a personal thing. The only thing they have to ask now is, "What's next?" *I know that probably was the end of the arc. Sorry about the quick close! BUT I'm planning to incorporate the thing that was in the vial into the next arc somehow, so please don't borrow that just yet. And thanks for reading, that was a lengthy paragraph!*
--LightningLexigraphy (Kaitlyn)

"What is the next direction? Is there another mission to start directly, or is there a home base for you to return to? Can I come with you?" Mallory fired off the questions rapidly. "Also, do the rest of you have 'fathers'? Is that just a human thing? I don't think I have a father."
--hazard

*Hey, Kaitlyn, nice job on ending the arc :), just one thing to note for future reference; what you did with Kyle was creative and interesting, however to my knowledge he is Justin's character, and you did make some major changes to the character (ex; making him related to W.V.). While it's perfectly alright to put twists like that for your own characters, you should make sure to ask the creators of any character that isn't yours before you go ahead and make major changes, and if the character doesn't have a specified creator (ex; Gary), or their creators are no longer a part of the NES (ex; Sunset), then just run it by the group either on here, or on the w/b page, ok? Cool. Otherwise, great job!*
--Nephthys Re

*@Re, thanks for letting me know, but Kyle is my character! I created him when the group was in the gingerbread castle. Even if he wasn't my character, I would've let the creator of the character know before making any changes. :) Here's a quote from my notes about the NES if you need to know exactly when I made him: "Sunset glanced over at the staff. 'Are you sure this is where Cecelia is at?' But at the same time, a desperate voice shouted, 'Please, save me!' They went in the direction of the voice. They found a shadow of a figure, but not the figure itself. The shadow stuttered, 'My name's Kyle, you must get me out of here! Someone has stolen me, and only my shadow is left! I need to become a shadow of someone or else I'll vanish!' The group glanced at each other, wondering how anyone could steal someone else and leave their shadow behind." Kyle had a different personality back then because I didn't have a form for him yet.*
--LightningLexigraphy (Kaitlyn)

*Lol yes, once again a little bit of a mix-up. But no worries @Re, Kyle is Kaitlyn's character! Here is a paragraph that serves as its own small scene while everything else had happened that covers Leed's perspective :)* The current Gateway Gang, save for Leed, Echo, Gary, and Sunset, melted away into the book until it returned to them. They would need safe passage back to Kyle's ship, so as their portal dissolved into nothingness, the remainder of the crew sat in the cold interior of the craft. Echo and Gary took their painkillers from Sunset, fighting to ease their headaches. "Go with Leed, Sunny," Gary encouraged. "Help him find his parents." He sat beside Echo as they kept each other company, awaiting happy results. Sunset turned to Leed, sympathy sparkling in her eyes, as she clutched onto his arm. They were showered in cheers before Echo and Gary watched them pixelate and vanish. Kyle's ship grew darker by the hour. On the other side, Leed tumbled with Sunset in tow. Her body crashed over his and they sprawled across a slippery lab floor. A secret department lay before them. Cheeks red, Leed gently brushed Sunset off of him, apologizing for the sloppy landing. "It's as if this environment holds a tear in both time and space. We may be standing in a true flaw of the universe, meaning W.V.'s hideout is in fact a unique location free of outside interference. I tapped in somehow…" He walked along a stretch of tiles. Shelves lined the walls packed with vials upon vials of radioactive fluid. Tables were littered with experimental monstrosities. A storage room towards the back disclosed a massive chamber filled with prison cages. Each cage housed fifteen victims….orange eyes, sunken faces, and stained hospital wear. People hung upside-down motionless in these cages, nearly dead, and there was an endless number looming below a pit of sorrowful blackness. "My god…." Sunset trailed off. "Leed, your powers have gotten way stronger…what is this place???" Her frame shook uncontrollably. This was fear. Immense fear…and it would take the two forever to find what could be Leed's parents in one of the cages. Zombies didn't describe them well enough. Every orange-eyed test subject underwent heavy drilling and experimentation to become some dreadful husk of a brainwashed soldier. Tears flooded Leed's vision. He knew his parents were in here. He knew they had orange eyes now, too. He had to get to the bottom of this. "Sunset," his lips wavered. "We can't free them just yet. Every single prisoner in here are the slaves of a much more evil doing…….I need you to grab a radioactive vial and help me bring it to someone who is intelligent enough to figure out what the damn awful chemical is! Hop onto my back. We're gonna go visit Liz."
--AuthorMind(Justin)

(Mallory, who has a 99% chance of knowing any toxic chemical or substance: Haha, why would I know anything about that? I'm a kid!) (Me, teasing Mallory's backstory: Gyahahahaahaahahhaahahahahahaa SOON my smol bean, SOON!)
--mistake

((ahh, i'm sorry Kaitlyn ;-;)) Leed took Sunset by the hand, and with a muffled pop teleported them back to the ship. The others were returning, clambering their way back out of the riddle book. There was a lighter aura about them than there had been when they had first gone through the riddle book. There were also a few less people. "Where's Cecilia? Kyle?" Echo asked, peering around the group at the wavering book portal. "They're coming in a minute, they wanted to talk to their dad." Peter answered. Echo's lips parted, her eyebrows drew down, "/Their/ father?" She asked. Peter shrugged, "It's, uh, confusing. You wouldn't believe all the crap that's happened in the past..." He checked a watch strapped tight around his left wrist, "half an hour." At that moment, Mallory poked their head out of the portal, still chattering. "You need to answer my questions, they're important. I need to know if all humans have father parts that have to be taken care of. Can I be allowed to join your human pod and help fix your broken parts?"Their frustration at being ignored, though mild, was growing. "Are all of your-- what are they called? In your necks, the sound thing. Are all of your sound things broken or can you be pleased to answer--" They cut off as they caught sight of the vial Leed clutched in his hand. Immediately, they fixated on the vial, they made their way with ease to Leed's side and snatched the vial up. "What have you here, human?" They held the vial up to eye level and watched the toxic sludge inside slosh. "Hey, be careful--" One of the humans gasped as Mallory stuck their finger in the vial, swished it, then put that same finger in their mouth. "Mallory!" Sunset yanked the vial out of Mallory's grasp, and yanked Mallory's finger out of their mouth. Mallory pulled a face. "Tastes like s***." They stuck their tongue out. Why were the human's staring like that? "Is s*** not a bad thing?" They asked. Freak had to cover his mouth to smother a chuckle. He seemed the least concerned, though his eye was grey-blue and he kept stealing glances at the vial. "No, um, yes." Sunset stammered, flustered, "Okay, first of all, you shouldn't...lick chemicals, this could be toxic, it could kill you. Second of all, where did you learn that word?" "That one said it earlier." Mallory pointed to Gary, It's means bad, right? Humans say it to indicate that something is bad." Sunset turned to scowl at Gary while Mallory was babbling. Gary was speechless, he hadn't thought anyone had heard that slip-up. "Um...oops?" He offered sheepishly. Sunset just shook her head and turned back to Mallory. "Listen, Mallory, if you start to feel sick--" "Sick? I thought that was a human thing." "Wrong, then. If you start to feel like you are...er, malfunctioning, then you need to tell one of us, okay?" She said softly. Mallory blinked at her for a moment. "But why would I malfunction?" "...Nevermind." Sunset gave up. She stood, and clapped to get everyone's attention, even though they were all already staring at her and Mallory. "Ok, Leed found this," She held up the vial for everyone to see, "And a bunch of people all caged in some freaky laboratory." "They were all too messed up to let out of the cages-- like zombies or something," Leed stepped in before anyone could ask, "If we want to help them we need to figure out what this chemical is. We think Liz will be able to help us." Around the room, everyone was nodding. Except Mallory. They knew what the sludge was. They also weren't going to tell the humans. They wanted to meet the Liz...and, perhaps, they also wanted to watch the humans struggle for a little while-- as vengeance for not answering their questions.
--Nephthys Re

*It's fine - It's just a mix up! :) Just so you know, (I noticed you said that W.V. was Cecelia AND Kyle's father) W.V. is Kyle's brother, not his father. So, Kyle is actually Cecelia's uncle. (I apologize if you meant something else!) What you wrote about Mallory was really funny, by the way! :)*
--LightningLexigraphy (Kaitlyn)

(IM CONSTANTLY JEALOUS BY HOW WELL U WRITE MALLORY AAAAAAA. So... What's the plan for how to reach Liz/ possibly find the others?)
--Unknown

*I know that I wrote in one of my paragraphs above that Mallory picked up a timepiece of some sort, maybe that can get the group to Liz?*
--LightningLexigraphy (Kaitlyn)

(I'm not sure, that seems too convenient. Do you know what I mean?)
--Unknown

*I think I see what you mean, having them just be there would be a bit boring. We could try having the timepiece transfer them to a different place when they are in the middle of trying to find a route to Liz. Then, as they journey through the unfamiliar area, they could run into (I don't mean this literally) Liz and her school. Exploring the area could take as many hours as we want it to, so they could stumble upon several challenges along the way! I still need to get Cecelia out of the portal so she can tell the group what Kyle and W.V. are doing (and I need to make the profile for W.V., but for some reason I always seem to be busy.)*
--LightningLexigraphy (Kaitlyn)

*As interesting as your pitches sound, I was thinking we should utilize what we already have! We seem to leave a lot of the stuff we already know untouched and keep creating new concepts until it confuses the latter of us. What I mean is: To get to Liz, maybe the entire group can head back to Gateway Mansion, open up one of the garages, and drive a vehicle to her school like a little road trip. We've yet to explore the world our characters were put in from the start (normal earth) and I'm pretty sure Gary knows where to locate his sister so he can be a guide. :D*
--AuthorMind(Justin)

*Aha! I found a way to combine both of our ideas, Justin! :) Remember what I said earlier?"We could try having the timepiece transfer them to a different place when they are in the middle of finding a route to Liz." We could have them explore the normal earth first, having the group think that the school is near Gateway Mansion, and when they are in the middle of it (or at a good stopping point, or when it is getting quite boring) the timepiece could transfer them over! That way, we get to know the outside of Gateway Mansion AND the land that the timepiece teleports them to. :) *
--LightningLexigraphy (Kaitlyn)

(I support Justin on this. It's likely Gary knows where his sister goes to school, plus Liz probably does go to school on normal earth. It would be interesting to see how our cast of characters interacts with the normal world. Also, I have another (alternative) idea for the timepiece. Well, actually, I have several ideas for the timepiece, but I want to keep them secret at this time~. It will be important later, but for now I don't think it should be significant in helping us get to Liz.)
--Unknown

(( Heck yeah Gateway group in the Normal World. Also Ena i'm equally jealous of how well you write EVERYTHING so there. ))
--Nephthys Re

--Nephthys Re

*Yeah, my point exactly. Our characters get involved in so much crazy stuff it'd be nice to see them act normal for once lol. Whatever this timepiece is, wherever it comes from, and however it operates and fits into the NES, sounds best if saved for later. Later when we can cook things up into an interesting stew >:D*
--AuthorMind(Justin)

*Okay, that's great! :) We can save the timepiece for later. I'm going to see if I can get the form for W.V. ready. When I'm done I'll post it in the forum :)* *EDIT: It's on the forum now! :)*
--LightningLexigraphy (Kaitlyn)

While everyone was 1) staring at Mallory 2) hoping Liz knows about the vial 3) whatever else they were doing, Cecelia returned through the riddle book. She was just in time for everyone to realize that they need to figure out a way back to the Gateway Mansion's planet to find Liz. No one really noticed her, because they were busy talking about something else. "So... how are we going to get back?" asked Sunset. "None of us can pilot this ship..." *That's it, it's kind of short but now Justin can explain how they get back! :)*
--TreacherousTides (Kaitlyn)

*New Arc Officially Starting NOW* Gary howled in laughter despite his headache. It was slowly subsiding thanks to he and Echo's meds. "We're risk takers." With Kyle gone and supervising W.V., covering important family matters, Gary hobbled over to the cockpit of Kyle's spaceship. He threw himself into the pilot's seat. "Buckle up everyone! I have not a craps clue what I'm doing and we're flying back to the Candyland!" Mallory skipped to their position on the craft and plopped down on a rather extra-cushiony chair. It was Freak's lap. Struggling to rid their mouth of the hellish taste that chemical had when they carelessly licked it, Mallory clicked in her belt and awaited orders. Peter, Sunset, Cecelia, Leed, and Echo did the same wearing concerned expressions as engines were activated. Gary gave it his all. Shakily, he revved the vessel forth and sent his friends out of Erebos' atmosphere. PEEEEEWWWWWMMMM! A view of the universe for a split second showed from the ship windows before pink sky and edible clouds. Jelly rain drops pelted the craft wings. Sunset held her breath. "All good?" Spoken too soon. A loud bang indicated a terrible landing.....but they were all alive. Smoke emanated from the nose of the vessel. Gary provided a babyish smile. "Hopefully Kyle won't be too mad when he returns to collect his ship. Is there a disguise button to leave it here for the time being?" Cecelia thankfully had her answer to give Gary because she and Kyle were related. "Hit the clear button by your wheel to camouflage!" In doing so, Gary had the team exit and observe Kyle's craft as a large funnel cake in the middle of the Candyland. Freak was impressed. Leed dusted off his sleeves. Echo chimed in. "Awesome! Gateway Mansion should be beyond the factory we visited previously, no?" Sunset nodded in approval. Aqua guided Cecelia the way. Residents of the Candyland, (mostly living gummy bears), watched the gang hustle in pursuit. Thankfully, past the familiar machinery that comprised of the factory before stood the portal door. On the other side lay Gateway Mansion's interior. To a tourist, it appeared as a beautiful estate jam-packed with royal furniture...but our heroes knew Gateway was something else entirely. Freak reminisced at the sight. Everyone got situated and put down their belongings. Strange at how good it felt to be 'home.' Leed scratched his head. "Ahhh, ol' Gateway Mansion. A problem of it's own." Echo huffed. Mallory grew impatient. "This Liz....I wanna meet this Liz." Cecelia tapped her staff against the wooden floorboards. Gary raised his hands in compliance. "I can take you guys to her dormitory. But we're gonna need some serious tires." Peter turned to his adorable girlfriend at hearing this. They grinned crazily at each other. "We have just the idea." Scanning their surroundings, the two judged where the next room would be when the Mansion spun like it usually did, Rubix cube style. The garage would be to their left, neighboring the kitchen. "Let's see if we can find some cars in the garage!" Peter beamed. Echo caught on. She digged road trips. Aqua, who by miraculous means could rival the frequency of the house, forced Gateway Mansion to shift and allow them access. Cecelia loved her staff even more, now! Leed wasted zero time. Freak dashed after him into the garage. They beheld amazing vehicles. "Anyone have a license?" Echo joked aloud. They were young and wild and free. They could drive wherever they damned pleased. "Off to see Liz!!!"
--AuthorMind(Justin)

They all piled into the SUV. Gary took the driver's seat, since he was the one who knew where to go, and Leed claimed shotgun. Freak made sure to grab a seat in the second row as the third would probably be quite cramped for someone of his size. Mallory also claimed a second-row seat, as from the third row they would be less able to observe the operating system of this machine. Mallory had seen, and been inside of, land vehicles, they thought, but none like this. Even more unfamiliar to them was ithe strange land the mysterious cross-dimensional gate hub had taken them to. Here in the middle of the vehicle was the optimal place to watch. It also meant they were surrounded and packed in by their human pod, though, and they were bound to get restless during transport. Mallory had never liked transport. It always meant being packed in like sardines (as they had heard people say; Mallory had no idea what a sardine was or how they were packed) and bored for hours on end. Echo called dibs on the third second-row seat, so Peter, Sunset, and Cecelia climbed in the back. And they were off-- to see this Liz that everyone seemed to know but Mallory, that could somehow know the chemical in the vial, that was at some gathering of scientists...
--Unknown

*I'm going to slip some origin reveals in this paragraph* Freak drummed his thin fingers against the black SUV cupholders. Gary fished around compartments for car keys as a question shot from behind his armrest. "You're sister…how long has she been in her studies?" Freak's heterochromic eyes dazzled through the rear-view mirror. The crew whistled as Gary started the ignition and blew some air conditioning. "So far, close to a semester," Gary said. "She desperately wanted a break from Gateway Mansion. I helped her look for schools online, pack, and then the Chaplain Institute of Science and Tech sent a bus to pick her up." Leed couldn't get the radio to work. With the house being a dimensional hub, signals were rare marvels to catch. Cecelia felt Aqua hum under her arm and the garage doors folded into the ceiling. Echo became curious and threw questions of her own at Gary. "You didn't join her?" Gary's face turned sour. "Heck no! I can't stand Science….I give Liz all the credit for being such a geek. She's affiliated with the Chemistry Branch….Chaplain Institute has at least twenty. Dorms are categorized easier that way." He pressed the gas pedal and the SUV sped out into the sun. Mallory, fresh to Earth, shoved their face into the side window and glared in amazement at the blue sky. White clouds. Trees that were actually normal for once and not made of confections! Peter noticed this and smiled. "I, instead, chose to continue average errands…filling the fridge with groceries so I didn't starve. I embraced Gateway as my home. It was on one of those food searches that I met Leed and made a friend. He told me his problem and I quit searching for food and began to search for his folks. We were running around for a hell of a long time, to be honest…" Freak dwelled on these thoughts. He realized that for an extended period, Gary happened to be a guardian of Gateway…balancing normal teenage life with the unpredictable issues that snuck through the Mansion's many doors. Imagine! Gary did a great job too! If any of those mishaps were exposed to the ordinary human realm, it'd be highlighted on the News. Whatever occurred in Gateway Mansion STAYED in Gateway Mansion. How strenuous it must've been to go at it alone while Liz was away…The Rubix cube layout of the estate never helped much to begin with. One could reside in a room without even discovering other inhabitants down the hall or in the attic. Peter and Sunset must've never known. Freak was glad they all grouped together presently, for splitting up could result in a loss. "Where is the Chaplain Institute, by any chance?" Cecelia inquired. Gary itched his brow. "The Institute is pretty secluded. We'll be seeing tons of desert on the trip before we get to the campus."
--AuthorMind(Justin)

Deserts, Mallory thought. Dry and barren areas of land. Mallory didn't know all too much about geography and topography, especially not in this strange environment. Mallory had seen several dimensions, but none like this. They recalled a black, cold desert of floating particles and hidden places. What were the deserts in this world like? And what was this Institute the humans' Liz attended? Everything was new to Mallory. Mallory always seemed to know less about their environment than those around them... Everything seemed normal to everyone else, they supposed? They wondered if humans were naturally adapted to a multitude of environments, and if their natures made nothing strange and exciting to them. Mallory could feel themself growing restless already. How long until they reached the desert? How long until they reached the institution? How long would they be forced to sit still... What did humans do to entertain themselves...? It seemed the human pod had turned to conversing. 'Sister'... What was that? Was it like a father part? Humans had strange customs and a strange classification system which seemed to connect different humans. The institution of sciences and technology made far more sense to them than the mysterious Liz. Sciences and technology were familiar... Mallory faced the idea of the destination with one part apprehension and one part excitement and curiosity.
--Unknown

Potholes and poorly repaired cracks riddled the barren road, and Gary, albeit doing well for a kid who didn't have a license, was not the best driver. He struck most of the potholes, jolting everyone in the car violently. Freak was slouching to keep his head from scraping the ceiling of the SUV. He didn't know much about travelling by car, and at that moment he was at a toss-up on which was worse; hitting the potholes, or the sudden, sharp swerves into the other lane that Gary pulled on the occasion that he spotted a pothole before his tires did. Either way, his stomach was beginning to turn slow flips and the horizon was swimming. He closed his eyes, only to find that that made the stomach-flipping worse. Dizzy, he opened his eyes half-way, and pressed his forehead to the top of the window in hopes that the cool glass would relieve the nausea a bit. "You feeling alright?" Sunset asked, her warm hand squeezed his shoulder. He lifted his eyes to the crooked front mirror and caught her gaze in the reflection for a moment, his right eye was a sickly sanguine. "Fine, fine." He muttered, dropping his gaze. Sunset grimaced, but didn't push the subject. Everyone got carsick once in a while, right? // Echo leaned as far back in her seat as she could, Mallory had abandoned their seat on the hump and crawled onto Echo to stare out the window. Waves of wonderment rolled off the child-like being and washed over Echo's aura. Echo noted that Mallory's emotions had a different flavor than the others', there was a distinctly bittersweet extra layer. Suddenly, the waves of wonderment decreased, and were rapidly replaced by a sludgy boredom. Mallory scooched off Echo and plopped back in their seat. Their eyes roved, and the sensation of boredom became stronger and stronger, until Echo herself was feeling listless too. "Leed, hit the radio, would you?" She asked. Leed obliged, and a twangy pop song filled the vehicle. Almost instantly the wonderment coming from Mallory came crashing back full-force. Echo smiled to herself, an interesting one, that Mallory kid was. // Gary spun the wheel, the tires of the SUV squealed as he made the final turn into the parking lot of the institute. At last, they had arrived. The gang spilled out of the vehicle, Freak walked around to the back and leaned on the hatch, trying to escape the queasiness. He muttered something along the lines of 'never again' as he went. The rest of the crew took a moment to observe the institute. Sunlight glistened off of high glass arches and polished metal swoops. Sprawling white brick arms radiated from glass-and-metal center. Between the institute and the parking lot was a swath of grass that someone was obviously trying to keep spritely despite the withering desert heat, a fountain of stone gushed opaque water in the middle of the grounds, and a cobblestone path encircled it once before stemming off to the east, west, and south towards the glass center. The institute was, to say the least, impressive. "So, what? We just waltz in?" Peter asked, shoving his hands in his jean pockets. "Yeah, I don't see why not." Gary answered. A squeaking distracted him, and he turned to see Mallory standing on top of the SUV. He started to tell them to get down, then thought better of it and shut his mouth. "Come on, I don't know where exactly in this place Liz is, so we'll have to ask the front desk." He broke away from the group, striding towards the glass center. The others fell into step behind him. Mallory jumped from the SUV, and landed easily on Freak's shoulders. Freak grunted at the unexpected weight, but continued on as if nothing had happened, and Mallory settled down on their new perch, pleased with the view.
--IfYouSeekAmy

Cecelia stretched her seven-year-old bones. That SUV had been nearly claustrophobic. Skipping right alongside Mallory, as the two could always match each other's child-like immaturity, Cecelia watched Gary lead the way into the Chaplain Institute of Science and Tech. An odd building, it was. The campus felt disarranged in the desert outskirts…all rocks and sand until your eyes fell onto pretty architecture and brickwork. A middle office stood proud and mighty over our heroes. Single file, each person walked into a metallic vestibule under an open glass ceiling. Gary leaned his arms against a front desk. A wrinkly old woman with straw for hair and twigs for fingers looked up from her computer system. She squinted at Gary's face. "How can I help you?" The Gateway gang idled around the entrance. "Yes, hi! I was wondering when Chaplain's lunch hour started. I have to speak to my sister Liz who is a student here." The old woman, whose name plate read Chrysanthemum, typed a sequence of letters into her attendance log and pulled Liz up from the results. "You'll be glad to know that lunch hour began five minutes ago. I can call her down and have you speak to her in the Student Terraces." Awesome! With the swift push of a phone button, Chrysanthemum's voice boomed over an intercom. She requested Liz meet her brother and the crew. Freak, Leed, Sunset, Peter, Mallory, Cecelia, and Echo had to slap on visitor passes on their clothes. Through the windows and doorless arches to the left and right, you could see connected dwellings that had to have been dorms and class quarters. Big inflated balloons of several icons distinguished which buildings were for which branch. A fat flask balloon indicated that Liz, from the Chemistry Branch, would be walking in from the right. A student wore different colored uniforms to support their branch.
--AuthorMind(Justin)

Login or join KidPub to post a paragraph

KidPub's Never Ending Story

In Gateway Mansion there are many, many doors. Some lead to great and at the same time terrifying adventures. While others simply lead to darkness and storage spaces. Nevertheless, two young siblings, Gary & Liz, inhabiting Gateway Mansion never know what is around the next corner. Because, in such a topsy, turvy place, your next move, your next breath, could be your last.

Now, with the help of young authors all around the world, the chronicles of their adventures are being revealed. You, too, can take part in piecing together their Never Ending Story.
(thanks to Kiowa~*, Kati, Lauren, Gabby and others for that great introduction!)