/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ The Iliad Blackout by Nemo87999: Runner-Up, November 2011 Writing Contest | KidPub Press //
The Iliad Blackout by Nemo87999: Runner-Up, November 2011 Writing Contest

Last night was the scariest night of my life. I woke up this morning and my head still hurt from all the confusion and chaos, not to mention my aching legs and sore feet. I had never been so frightened in my fifteen years I’ve lived. I’ve been scared a lot during that time, but this by far was the worst. Since you’re probably dying to know, let me tell you about it.
The day started off normal. I woke up early to get dressed and go to school. I combed my hair out and pulled on my skinny jeans. Then, after taking off my big oversized t-shirt I had slept in, pulled on my long sleeved shirt and a green sweatshirt over that. My long brown hair flowed carelessly behind my back as I jogged down the stairs and into the kitchen where Mom was making bacon with eggs. I loved bacon, it was my favorite food.
“Hey, Mom! It smells so good,” I commented, smiling.
“Thank you dear,” said Mom. “But you’re late for school so eat quickly,” she said as she was dropping bacon and eggs onto my plate.
I basically inhaled the food, it tasted so good! After I dropped the plate carefully into the kitchen sink, I was out the door with my backpack slung over my right shoulder, racing towards the bus.
*****
“Rory Cartridge?” called the teacher as she was checking off names on her clip board. I didn’t get why she did it, none of my other teachers had a clip board. Perhaps Mrs. Bell likes to keep track of our attendance so she can send someone to the principal’s office for not showing up or something. Anyway, I raised my hand high enough so Mrs. Bell could see.
“I have an announcement!” called Mrs. Bell after placing the clip board on her desk. “We are going on a field trip! I find it important to go on a history field trip every once in a while so we could get out and have fun with learning. After all, it is hard to learn when you’re cooped up in a class room all day being bored and out of the sunshine. Everyone, grab your backpacks on the way out because you may need your notebooks.”
Everyone groaned in disgust. Nobody in the class liked field trips except me. I thought that field trips were so fun and exciting, but obviously no one else did.
Within fifteen minutes everyone was piled in the bus on our way to the local museum. The morning was clear and warm sunshine shone down upon the trees, making their leaves bright.
When we all hopped out of the bus, there was a warm breeze that blew my hair. I had a broad smile on when we walked into the museum, ready to learn.
“Rory, would you mind telling me who the goddess of wisdom was?” asked Mrs. Bell. We had been learning about Greece for the past two weeks, and this question seemed too easy.
“Athena,” I answered without hesitation. Mrs. Bell nodded slightly and smiled a bit.
“Very good. I see you’ve been listening,” noted Mrs. Bell. I’m in high school, who didn’t know who the goddess of wisdom was? But I just nodded my thanks and walked away, checking out the giant statue of a wooden horse. It was the one from the famous poem “The Iliad,” that Homer wrote. I was impressed how they made a marble statue of it so detailed and unique. Suddenly, something caught my attention in the corner of my eye. I turned my head in the direction of the shadowed figure, but nothing was there. Hmm…that was strange, I thought. There was a door with the sign on it “Only for Special Use” where I thought I saw the figure. It was just closing when I saw it though. Something must’ve come out or gone into it.
I walked up to the door and turned the knob. It turns out it wasn’t locked. If it was so special, why wasn’t the door locked? I opened it carefully and slowly, and peered inside. Beyond the thick door there was a hallway with doors on each side.
Creeping in, I pulled the door shut tight behind me. Something was wrong and I intended to find out what the figure was.
I soundlessly tip-toed down the long, dark hallway. It was hard to see, but I managed to make out where I was going.
BANG!
Something hard had hit me in the head. I dropped to the ground helplessly. My vision clouded and was darkening despite how dark it was already.
*****
When I woke up, I wish I hadn’t. My head was throbbing and my legs were shaky. I was sitting in a chair and in front of me lay a desk with a piece of paper lying on top of it. It took a few seconds for my vision to clear, but when I saw what it read I nearly blacked out again. It read:
Dear Rory Cartridge,
This is your chance to make a difference. Your life may depend on us. Please, sign here if you want to help. If not, we understand for the task is very dangerous. If you agree, please sign here: __________
I was about to sign. I dropped my pen towards the paper. My stomach was in knots and my breath was shaky. Not to mention my sweaty palms.
That was when my pen ran out of ink.

D: Awww, crap... that's not

D: Awww, crap... that's not good...

Even though all the entries finish with the line, "That was when my pen ran out of ink," I'm still surprised by the endings. Your story is fantastic! Congrats on winning runner-up! :D

"Watch your step, for I weave my web of shadows around you, Kalo Silverdusk..." ~Web of Shadows

Posted by Sherlockian (Leloo) on Fri, 01/20/2012 - 19:46
Thank you so much! :D I

Thank you so much! :D I appreciate it.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." ~Jeremiah 29:11

Posted by Mockingjay on Mon, 01/23/2012 - 14:55
This is really, really good

This is really, really good Jay! I loved it. :)

Posted by ~Haley :)~ on Fri, 02/03/2012 - 06:34
Thank you SO much! Have you

Thank you SO much! Have you written another chapter of Love? on kidpub? I'm dying to read more! ;D

Posted by Mockingjay on Mon, 02/06/2012 - 12:56
I liked your story as much

I liked your story as much as I liked the other ones from your month, which is to say, alot.

Posted by Yavanna on Sat, 05/05/2012 - 20:38
Oh, thank you! :) I

Oh, thank you! :) I appreciate it!!

Posted by Mockingjay on Sun, 05/06/2012 - 20:12