/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ "Alice Isn't Dead" podcast review / pitch. Please, please humor me and read this just in case it appeals to you. | KidPub Press //
"Alice Isn't Dead" podcast review / pitch. Please, please humor me and read this just in case it appeals to you.

Posted April 4th, 2018 by AlgebraAddict

by esther
in

April 5th, 2018
ok so
I know a few of you have been at least somewhat exposed to the podcast Welcome to Nightvale, which is a bajillion episodes long and has no overarching plot despite being funny and intriguing. HOWEVER the same brilliant people that do that podcast do another one, called Alice Isn't Dead. It's a serial fiction, detailing the journey off a lesbian trucker on a search for her missing wife, while all these wild and freaky and often terrifying things happen along the way. it's a wild thriller from start to finish, and I have nobody in my life who also listens to it and nobody I can to talk to about it. So let me give you a few reasons to get started.

1. It's short and sweet- the episodes are only like 20 minutes long, minus like 3 minutes of theme music at the end, and there are so far only 2 seasons of 10 episodes each. it's pretty easy to get caught up on, unlike welcome to nightvale.

2. LGBTQ+ representation- the main charrie/narrator is a lesbian voiced by a lesbian (the adorable Jasika Nicole, known for playing Astrid in "Fringe"), and she spends a good portion of the show describing moments she and her not-deceased wife Alice had together. You get cute flashbacks to their romance, their life together as wife and wife, and the entire show is about a courageous young queer woman fighting tooth and nail for the woman she loves and honestly it's so wholesome.

3. Anxiety representation- the narrator is a textbook anxiety case. She's got every reason to be paranoid, since, like, she's being hunted by actual monsters. Anyway, hearing about her experiences through the lens of her anxiety gives it a whole new perspective. She freezes and flees sometimes, but she also stands and fights for her life (and her wife) through all the fear and panic. If you think about Piglet from Winnie the Pooh as the prime example of a character with anxiety, the narrator of Alice Isn't Dead is the opposite. She's the focus of the show, not a best friend or comic relief, and her anxiety drives her on as much as it holds her back. She's also, like, insanely courageous and her badassery is empowering as hell to me, as it would be to anyone who deals with anxiety in their day-to-day life. 

4. It's actually awesome- it's on one hand a classic adventure story, featuring a brave, resourceful heroine facing humanoid, man-eating monsters as she embarks on an epic quest for the one she loves. It's also scary as hell. It's got just enough gore to unsettle without becoming a bloodbath, but its main horror comes from just how bizarre, creepy, and often terrifying the story itself is. It's fast-paced and exciting and well-written and sometimes funny and the soundtrack is GREAT and it's often super aesthetic (it has inspired dozens of great tumblr moodboards) and the main characters are just about all strong, well-developed and totally badass heroines. 

If you are even slightly interested, give the first episode a listen on any of the multiple places you can the full podcast for free. The ones I know most about are the iOS podcast app, which makes it a breeze, and also youtube (the youtube link is below)

And if you do listen to it and enjoy it, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CONTACT ME SO WE CAN FANPERSON ABOUT IT CUZ HOLY CRAP I LOVE THIS SHOW SO MUCH.

See more stories by esther
you had me at "lesbian

you had me at "lesbian trucker on a search for her missing wife"... this sounds amazing, will definitely check it out!

Posted by ~ cedar ~ on Thu, 04/05/2018 - 02:46
definitely intrigued, will

definitely intrigued, will find the time to check it out and yell about it with you if I do!

Posted by a zombie now (*... on Sun, 04/08/2018 - 08:25