/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ Ashley's Ultimate KidPub Guide~* | KidPub Press //
Ashley's Ultimate KidPub Guide~*

Ashley's Ultimate KidPub Guide~*

Posted November 3rd, 2010 by Serenity

by Ashley
in a balloon; the only way is up.

December 29th, 2010

I've gotten tons of questions throughout my KP life, from the technical to the social to the artistic.  Most senior members of KP will know half of the stuff I'm talking about, but I won't just include the must-knows of KidPub. Besides how to post pictures and how to get a steady hold on your reputation on KidPub, I'll also include how to create a successful KidPub business, and how to write stories with humor (in my aspect, of course. There's many ways.). Here, I'll be writing nearly everything I know about KidPub and the KP road to success! So here I go!

My Background

In case you don't know me, I'm Ashley! I've been on KidPub for a year and a half. I have a well-sized and well-to-do family of 3 kids and both parents. The youngest is 2 years old and named Ryan, the middle is 9 years old and named Genny, and I'm the oldest, at 15 years old. For the most part, I advanced courses in high school, and I do get stressed out often over homework and grades. In fact, I've been absent from KidPub a lot because of grades. Socially, when I meet somebody new, I'm quiet and timid. But when I'm familiar with my surroundings, I'm outgoing, happy, good-natured, and relaxed. Time for my KidPub background!

I mean this in a factual way, not a stuck-up-hey-worship-me way: I'm the person who began the book-cover business spur among KidPub. It may be hard to believe, but in the short time I've had my KP account, I've been in many corners of KidPub fame and situations. There was a time whereas I wasn't very popular at all, in the negative numbers. There was also a time where I was at the peak of fame, though I was grounded in real life shortly after. I've become familiar with how KidPub works, both technically and socially, and how we roll here. I also have newly aquired knowledge on how to equal out KidPub and your real life. With that, let's get into all the fun stuff!

The First Steps of a Brand New KidPubber!

Well, you know what they say...

-says in a husky voice- Once you go KidPub, you NEVA go back!

(That's not actually a saying here on KidPub. xD Just something I thought up of on the moment.)

You've finally convinced your parents that KidPub is actually a fun and fruitful writing site, not one of those less fruitful sites like Facebook. You're brand new! YAY NEW MEMBERS! -ahem-

So, it's easy to think that at first, the utter most important thing is to know the group's etiquette and everything. Well, yes, that comes in handy. But don't forget the most important part of fitting in: just be you! KidPub is about writing, and writing is supposed to be about expressing yourself, so, under the transitive property of addition, KidPub is about expressing yourself! Maybe it's just my problem, but when I started out, I tried so hard to fit in, I acted like another person and I didn't fit in at all.

Another tip I have is to post different kinds of your work. Poetry, short stories, chapter stories, and of different genres too! If you notice something's getting more attention than the others, expand on that; create your own reputation. Also, be open-minded. People on here do give good critique, and if somebody doesn't, another person usually catches it. But in any case, I suggest you take into consideration whatever people say, or else you can't improve your writing. Like the saying goes, except in the case of improving, an open door will invite more people than a closed one.

Those are the first steps. But I bet you still have all sorts of questions. Not to fear! Much more is ahead.

Navigation

Red Box- KidPub Menu

Read Stories- In this part of the menu, you can go through a list of the latest posts of any of the options below! Like if you click on "Popular Today", it'll show you the top popular posts of the day. If you go to "Chapter Books", it'll show you all the latest chapter posts on KP. The "Never-Ending Story" is a collab story across KidPub about Gary and Liz!

Write Stories- Need to make a post? This is where you go. Select whether you want to post a story, book page or chapter, book review, event, add on to the Never-Ending Story, poll, or edit your biography on your profile.

Talk About- This is where you find Author's Notes!! Muy importante (Very important.). Refer to "KidPub Etiquette" for why. Other things you can do here is inviting a friend to KP, access KidMud (though that doesn't work anymore), get to the Writer Block forums (Has a bunch of cool stuff including Bambi&Gypsi's Character Sketch service!), the KidPub event calendar (not usually used, but has a few contests), news on kid authors, and a link to Young Author's twitter.

KP Bookstore- The KidPub bookstore where you can buy all the KidPub books! Yay!

Publish Your Book- This is pretty self-explanatory. Here, you can find all the information on publishing your own book!

KP Schools- This is meant for teachers, for them to enroll their class to KidPub. I think whole classes can post their works on here through the deal, or something.

Contests- There's always monthly writing contests and a weekly book giveaway! Click on one of the selections for more information.

About- This answers most of your general questions about KidPub that can only be answered by the staff and such of KidPub.

Green Box- KidPub's Search Engine

You can search for a word or a specific post using this awesome device! What do I mean "you can search for a word"? Well, let's say you type in 'cat'. Usually from most commented/viewed, it shows all the posts that has the word cat in it.

Yellow Box- Your Profile

Displays your account name and a link below to your profile.

Purple Box- Online Members & Guests

Displays the members and the number of guests online. Click on a member's name to visit their profile.

KidPub Etiquette

This is a pretty debatable topic. I left (debatable) next the ones that are undecided, but have been argued about.

1. People can get touchy about posts that are or less than 1 paragraph. Why? Because it fills up the Newest page too fast; all the actual stories written on the same day are tossed to the 2nd page, and doesn't get as many readers as it should. If you want to spread a word to your fellow KidPub members, then use Author Notes, which can be located under "Talk About". Personally, I did do "Announcements" for Ashley Covers and will be doing them for Little Hattery, but they're much longer than a paragraph and have lots of important info for my customers.
  2. Leave constructive criticism (abbreviated CC) instead of simply saying a work is bad. Basically, instead of just saying "This sucks", say "It has good description, but the plot could use improvement because...". You should leave criticism that helps the author improve, not just make them feel bad about themselves. People will respect you more if you leave good CC.
  3. If you don't have something nice to say, it's best not to say it at all. Let's say somebody says on Author Notes "I just got braces, this sucks." Don't reply saying "Get used to it, brace-face." We on KidPub do not like fights at all, so don't start one! It'll downgrade your reputation, and then you'll feel like leaving, and that makes everyone unhappy.
  4. (Debatable) Don't leave posts about you leaving if you aren't, or even if you are. I won't make a personal comment on this, but from what I've read, people feel that this is just a way to gather attention.
  5. Don't copy other people's ideas for posts without asking. Some people take this as flattery, others get insulted, so I think the safest way is to ask first.
  6. (Debateable) It's not a good idea to bring religion into KidPub, a diverse and world-wide website. KidPub or the real world, religion is very controversial. Now, I've seen religious poetry posted on KidPub, and it seemed perfectly fine. But also, there have been situations whereas people try to give out advice that's pretty religious/spiritual, or make a choice that's against another person's religion, and nuclear bombs explode. I put this as debatable because people will disagree with me, but put some consideration into my point. Thanks to missmaple for reminding me of this topic. (Now, you may be thinking, "But Ashley, you said to express yourself, so why can't we express our religion so much?!" Well, if it's hurting other people, then it's not expressing yourself in an effective way. Also, I'm not saying writing religious poetry or stories is wrong, just don't be offensive to another person's different religion or beliefs.)
  7. Events are only for important things. Story time! :D My sister didn't know this when she still went on kidpub, so she decided to post an "event." Imagine reading a calender that says: "Important Contest Tonight!" "Contest Stories Due!" "So And So's Contest" and then, among all that important mumbo jumbo, you see: "I ate macaroni and cheese for dinner tonight." Yeah, that's right, such an important notice, she ate macaroni and cheese! Laughing Gotta love little sisters! - provided by missmaple

KidPub Fights

This topic is controversial, but this is what I've been noticing in the pattern of KP fights, and a way I've developed to avoid them.

Nobody likes KP fights. People's feelings get hurt, and in the worst case scenario, people leave KidPub. However, everyone likes debates, whereas you're proving your point to others without the "bloodshed". Sometimes, little disagreements will occur and you'll not know how to respond. How do you make out the difference between a fight and a debate, or make the difference?

Also, do NOT fight OR debate about religion (as mentioned in KidPub Etiquette).

Now, this is for people that are in the disagreement. If you're observing a disagreement/fight, post one neutral comment saying that fights aren't a good idea, and that's all you post. If you post again, that shows that you want to get into the fight. Don't post again even if they provoke you. It's a bad idea, and will make you sound like a hypocrite because you posted first that fights were a bad idea.

Lastly, (Please read this!!) a very good tip from L.S. Tredom: If you see a comment that might start a fight, don’t click the reply button for that comment, but a comment near it and make sure you address it to the correct person, because then the person who posted the comment can edit it, and [most likely] will.

Technical Questions of KidPub

These are the technical aspects of KP; come in mighty handy! I put these in most FAQ order, and if you have any other technical questions that are not listed, tell me in a comment and I'll add it to this post!

1. How do you add pictures from the Internet in a post/comment?

Simply right click on the picture, and select "Copy Image URL". Then go to the post/comment you want to put the picture on. When you're in the Editing page, go to the icon displayed below.

Then, copy the URL into the "Image URL" section, and select Insert.

The picture might not show up at first, but when you click "Preview" next to the Submit button, you should see it. :D

2.  What if the picture I want to post is in my computer documents?

In that case, go to http://www.tinypic.com/ and upload your image. Once you have, copy the link in the section shown below.

Why is it in Dutch? I have no idea. I don't speak Dutch or are related to Dutch in any form or way, so I have no idea why it makes my TinyPic in Dutch. But the layout should be the same for all languages. Anyways! After this, simply refer to #1 for the rest.

3.  How do you link together chapters?

All you have to do is go to KidPub's top menu, go to "Write Stories", then "Book Page or Chapter". Create your first chapter. Your first chapter or prologue MUST be a "Book Page or Chapter" or else it won't link to the rest of the parts. I've done that multiple times, and still do it today, lol. After that, create your 2nd chapter and link it to the first chapter.

The proper and most effective way to link chapters is to link them all to the first chapter or prologue. That way, readers can go to the first part, and see a list of all the posts linked to it. Also, you can still flip through chapters like you can if you linked them to each other, the more popular way to do it.

4.  How do you copy and paste?

The manual way to do it is highlight the text/picture you want to copy, then right click and select "Copy". Then, go to the section you want to paste your text/picture. Right click, and select "Paste". Ta-da! If you have a PC, the most simple way to do it is highlight what you want to copy, but then hold Ctrl and click Z. For pasting, hold Ctrl and click X.

For Macs, I've found http://www.wikihow.com/Copy-and-Paste-on-a-Mac , but if you want to copy something into a KP post, read the following! This information is provided by missmaple: "For copy and pasting, for some reason our Mac won't let me copy and paste into a post for kidpub. The solution I've found to this is to use the little button in the toolbar with the microsoft W on it, it'll say copy and paste into word. You can paste into the window that pops up, and click insert. That should work for people with copy and paste problems."

5. How do you copy and paste a link to your story/post?

To do this, first, go to that story/post you want to make a link to. Then take a look at the top part of your browser, where you type in the website address to get there. (Ignore the Google thing lol.)

Then, highlight it (hold your click at one end of the text then swipe your mouse across the whole text). Refer to number 4 on how to copy and paste. Now you can paste the link anywhere you want and people can access it with total ease!

Writing Questions of KidPub

I'm not a perfect writer, and I don't know everything about it, so I happily entitle anybody to correct me or add on to this section of the guide! Also, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

1. My story isn't commented/viewed often. I can't seem to get any more no matter what.

Try this tutorial: http://www.kidpub.com/story/tutorial-professional-formated-and-fairly-commented-story-45275280 . Most stories fall victium to poor formating, so the story's shape itself doesn't make it easy for the person to read. This tutorial will offer tips on how to fix that. There's also a series by Sis that gives good, legit advice on just generally how to get more views. http://www.kidpub.com/book-page-or-chapter/guide-getting-views-part-1-71682346

2. I want to make my story entertaining with humor, but I don't know how!

If you want to infuse your story with some humor, then it's all in the characters. You have to make your characters flamboyant with life and a realistic point of view. That way, you can make realistic humor. Let's make a character named Freddy and a character named John. I want Freddy to be fun and playful, but John to be quiet and serious. I'll make two samples of them interacting. The first will be not-so good and second better written, but both meant to be comedic:

" Freddy walked up to John. 'Let's go bungee jumping! Maybe we can get some girls,' Freddy grins. John rolls his eyes, thinking what an idiot he is, and looks away. '

" Freddy skips up next to John. He winks, 'Let's go bungee jumping, man! Maybe grab some hot chicks at the mall nearby!' John gives him a cold, hard stare. At least he didn't suggest we 'grab some hot chicks' on the bungee jump. John rolls his eyes and looks away. "

You see what I mean? It's helpful to understand how to make your character come to life, so that the jokes are realistic as well. This is just my experience though, there are probably much better tutorials out there on the Internet about this topic.

Contests

Oh yes, contests! I remember when there used to be a new contest on KP (held by KidPubbers, of course) nearly every single day! xD Good, chaotic times. So, what's the secret to a good contest? Well, I've never successfully held one, I'll admit, because real life interfered with them. But from the ones I've entered, I noticed this is what makes a contest the most fun:

1. The theme, rules, and deadline are set out clear and organized.

2. The theme provokes thought and/or inspiration; "brain food".

3. If any, the prizes are encouraging.

Some basic rules are no stealing other peoples' work, though that's basically a given, and no overly explicit language/sexual suggestions in the entry. As for themes, first decide if you want to do a writing contest or an art one. I think if you're fairly new to KidPub or want more people to be involved in your contest, you should do writing. If you really want art, then go for it! Just remember more people can get involved with writing contests.

Now, for prizes! Woo, everyone likes prizes! If you're a character designer (*cough*Bambi & Gypsy*cough* xD) then maybe you could do exclusive character designs for your winner(s). If you're a cover designer, make a snazzy cover for a story of the winner's choice. If you're not artsy artistic, you could make the winner a character of a story you're working on, or comment on all the stories they've been recently working on, giving indepth insight and praise. This is really all I can think of, but remember you can always ask KP on Author Notes before the contest what good prizes are.

How to Create a Successful Business

This isn't just applicable to KidPub; these steps can be transpired to real life as well, especially the 4th one.

So, first of all, think of a catchy idea. You can use a base idea for your catchy idea, like cover-making. But what will make your cover-making business different from the rest? Well, a few eye-catching elements are a catchy title, art style, the post's appearance itself, and anything else clever you can think of.

Second, think of an organization system for your business to keep it as effective as possible. You probably won't think of something good right-away; it took me the entire time of having Ashley Covers to finally figure out my own system that worked for my KP and real life.

Third, be timely with giving your services. I know this from experience, and I realize, in the case of the KP Magazine, I'm still not very good at this yet. But I do recognize that this is a good way to keep your business successful and alive.

Forth, if you're working with people as a 'boss', then you must be on top of your game! You're supposed to be a model for your "employees". That's why you're the boss. This also applies to being in student government or the head of a school club.

These are pretty general. Now, if you're in the cover-making business, here are my special tips for you:

There's a few things about being a cover maker you should know. I used to be a cover maker myself, and the things I'm about to tell you are the things I've learned over those months. I gave up covers because of copyright reasons, which are a little complicated, but basically too many people were emailing me about my covers, and my artwork was too open and could be taken at anytime. Which would be kind of okay, if I asked permission to use all the photos I did (and I didn't ask...). So yeah. . . (that was kind of complicated, wasn't it? I can't really explain it that well!) But don't worry about that yet! Anyway!

1. Be safe! Do NOT make covers for people outside KidPub. I used to make covers for people outside KP, and I've had a couple pretty scary experiences happen to me, including a hacker and almost successful artwork stealers. If you're doing it through DeviantART though, then that's okay. But be wary. Here's a few key words to look for when people order.

Orange = medium alert

Red = BIG no no!

"Can you take off your logo?" -Possibly an artwork stealer. Not everyone who asks this question is an artwork stealer, they just want to know, so don't jump to conclusions! Say politely no, and most of the time, they'll stop from there. If they continue to ask, then be more firm about it. If it gets to a point where its impossible to deal with them, ignore them and their order.

"I want to pay you, love your covers!" -This is a HUGE no no because if they pay you, they need your information. Even if you make them use Paypal, that person could be a hacker, and it's just not safe.

"Hello, I'm from Scholastic Publishing Company. I'd like to make a business proposal about your book covers. Let's meet at McDonalds, my number is XXX-XXX-XXXX." - Well, this is pretty self explanatory, and you've probably heard this many times before; don't meet up with anybody from the internet.  But this sentence can come in many different forms, and will be very convincing. Do NOT meet up with these people, even with a parent/guardian. They may be armed. Consult your parents/guardians on how to confirm these people are who they say they are before even replying.

2. Get organized! An organized business is an effective one. The way I organize myself is that I copy all of the orders onto a Word Document. Each order has its own page. So, when people ask me, "Ashley, how many orders do you have?", I can look at the amount of pages and tell them. This also helps me predict when people will get their orders. For example, if I have 8 orders and I usually do 1-3 orders a day, I can say "You'll get your order in 3-5 days, 5 worst case scenario!" Telling people when their order will be delivered is helpful and shows good customer service, but remember to deliver as promptly as possible!! Don't wait for that 'worst case scenario', unless you're in my position whereas I'm having serious grade issues.

3. Be innovative! Think of new ways to design covers, find new programs, research ideas. Find and talk to professionals, who most of the time are really nice and want to share their tips!

"If you seek, you will find. If you can imagine, you can create." ~ Anonymous

How to Balance Real Life with KidPub

I understand how easy it is to get sucked into KidPub for hours and hours. Been there. xD But it's important to organize your priorities. If you know that school is important to you, and that you want to go to collage, then it's a good idea to first finish homework & studying for tests before going on KidPub. There's no other, easier way. When you get used to it, you'll be able to memorize things and get work done quicker, leaving you more time for KidPub. It adds up into a bundle of good stuff. It took me a month or so to finally get that steady flow, and now I'm glad I did invest those painful weeks into disciplining myself.

I'm probably going to add more to this, but even if I put down literally everything I know, I will always be willing to adding more! So please leave suggestions if you have any, thanks!

Edits

(12/29/10)- Added the cover-making tips I posted last week onto here, and added #5 to Technical Tips.

(11/6/10)- Added "KidPub Fights" section to the guide. Thanks to L.S. Tredom for his tip! Also added Sis's Guide to Getting Views series to #1 of "Writing Questions of KidPub".

(11/3/10)- Added missmaple's 2 pieces of advice under the copy & paste information and KidPub etiquette. ^_^

See more stories by Ashley
How the heck did you get up

How the heck did you get up all those pictures of kidpub and stuff? That's so cool, and this is a very handy guide!

~Happie

Lie IS in Believe- so at one point, when you're lying, you're BELIEVING ~me

Anyone can write a book-but not anyone can write a good one ~me

Posted by Happie :D on Wed, 11/03/2010 - 15:56
Thanks!! I made screenshots.

Thanks!! I made screenshots. ^_^ On the PC, you click "Prt Sc" on your keyboard in the upper right hand corner. Then, what I do is go to Paint, paste it, and ta-da! You have a nice, big screenshot. Then I cut out the part that I want to show most using the Crop tool.

~*Serenity*~

"No matter how poor you are, you can always give out love."

"If you seek to do what's expected, then the unexpected won't find you."

Posted by Serenity on Wed, 11/03/2010 - 17:00
Coolio! Thanks for the tips!

Coolio! Thanks for the tips! XD

"Nobody can prevent you from choosing to be exceptional." -Mark Sanborn

Posted by Chiaki on Wed, 11/03/2010 - 15:58
Wow. This is amazing.  In

SurprisedWow. This is amazing. Laughing

In the short time I've been a kidpubbian, I've never seen anything like this or as good as this. This is the ultimate know-how for kidpub, for sure! You're really good at this type of thing, Ashley. I can see a strong career in design in your future. Wink

I'd like to add two things: First off, for copy and pasting, for some reason our Mac won't let me copy and paste into a post for kidpub. The solution I've found to this is to use the little button in the toolbar with the microsoft W on it, it'll say copy and paste into word. You can paste into the window that pops up, and click insert. That should work for people with copy and paste problems.

Another tip: Events are only for important things. My sister didn't know this when she still went on kidpub, so she decided to post an "event." Imagine reading a calender that says: "Important Contest Tonight!" "Contest Stories Due!" "So And So's Contest" and then, among all that important mumbo jumbo, you see: "I ate macaroni and cheese for dinner tonight." Yeah, that's right, such an important notice, she ate macaroni and cheese! Laughing Gotta love little sisters!

strength: (strngkth, strngth, strnth) n. The ability to break a bar of chocolate into four pieces, and only eat one.

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver, and much more effective.

Posted by missmaple on Wed, 11/03/2010 - 16:19
Thank you!! :D Special

Thank you!! :D Special thanks for the tips, mind if I add that to the post?

~*Serenity*~

Posted by Ashley on Wed, 11/03/2010 - 17:03
Not at all. I wouldn't post

Not at all. I wouldn't post it if I did mind, would I?

Posted by missmaple on Wed, 11/03/2010 - 18:27
Okay, just wanted to be

Okay, just wanted to be sure, thanks! ^_^

~*Serenity*~

Posted by Serenity on Wed, 11/03/2010 - 20:12
Very nice, do you mind if I

Very nice, do you mind if I make a link to this in the left-hand menu?

Posted by Perry on Wed, 11/03/2010 - 16:19
Wow, of course not!! :D

Wow, of course not!! :D Thanks Perry!!!

~*Serenity*~

Posted by Ashley on Wed, 11/03/2010 - 16:54
How did you make the thing

How did you make the thing on the top? This is helpful, even though I already know most of this.

"You can't always expect my usual brand of stupidity. I like to mix it up, keep you on your toes." -Patrick Star

“Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.” -Mark Twain

Posted by L. S. Tredom on Wed, 11/03/2010 - 16:32
Thanks! I used GIMP to

Thanks! I used GIMP to create it, a free and more crash-prone kind of Photoshop, lol. Download it at www.gimp.org/downloads and I suggest looking up tutorials on Google and Youtube for it. ^_^

~*Serenity*~

Posted by Ashley on Wed, 11/03/2010 - 17:06
I already have GIMP, but I

I already have GIMP, but I meant like the marks around the edges.

Posted by L. S. Tredom on Wed, 11/03/2010 - 17:14
Ah! Those are border brushes

Ah! Those are border brushes I downloaded from DeviantArt: http://browse.deviantart.com/resources/applications/gimpbrushes/ . On how to download brushes into your GIMP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NClLf1fnfEU .

~*Serenity*~

Posted by Ashley on Wed, 11/03/2010 - 17:19
Thanks! "You can't always

Thanks!

Posted by L. S. Tredom on Wed, 11/03/2010 - 17:26
Nice, Ashley!!! I live in a

Nice, Ashley!!!

I live in a world of Illusion. My task is to find Fantasy.

Posted by Stara Aquila :P on Wed, 11/03/2010 - 16:57
That is so cool how you did

That is so cool how you did that! Wow! I love, and I'm just amazed by the detail you put into this.

"Like a top, like a plaything, the earth spins around"--Me, from Twisting the World

Posted by Clarissa on Wed, 11/03/2010 - 17:13
Wow! Awesomeness! I'm

Wow! Awesomeness! I'm faving. :)

________________________

TEAM PERRY!

Posted by ~Athena~ on Wed, 11/03/2010 - 17:19
*faints* OMPJ!!!! first of

*faints* OMPJ!!!! first of all, this is REALL REALLY REALLY cool!!!!!!!!!!! you did an awesome job with this!

second, thank you SOOOOOOOOOOO much for mentioning our character sketch thing!!! I really appreciate it SO much!

~Bambi!

Posted by Bambi:~:Violet on Wed, 11/03/2010 - 17:13
Thank you!! :D And you're

Thank you!! :D And you're very welcome!

~*Serenity*~

Posted by Ashley on Wed, 11/03/2010 - 17:26
What if you have a mac and

What if you have a mac and you can't "copy image URL?"

Eccentricity. Quite Eccentric. You are being ask to embark on a secret mission that throws your lives into danger. What? Run to the store and buy me some doughnuts. ~May the Cookies be with You~

Posted by ~Eccentricity~ on Wed, 11/03/2010 - 17:14
Well, I don't have a Mac,

Well, I don't have a Mac, but try this tutorial! http://www.wikihow.com/Copy-and-Paste-on-a-Mac

~*Serenity*~

Posted by Ashley on Wed, 11/03/2010 - 17:25
Can I add something else,

Can I add something else, Ashley? Just recently (as in, a couple of minutes ago) I read something that was a bit of a fight... well, a minor skirmish (do I sound super old-fashioned to you??). Somebody mentioned something about the bible that was a little rude and uncaring. A small group of kidpubbians defended the bible, and some people became upset. To put it short, there was a comment made that was "politically incorrect" and that made people upset. I don't agree with all those crazy parents out there that keep their children on a leash (quite literally, I've seen it!) and don't let them learn what is really out there in the world. Where was I? Oh, yeah, political correctness. So... um, on kidpub, you need to remember that there are some people who don't agree with you on religious aspects, and that in general, it's a bad idea to post anything about religion. You can declare your religion, and I think there are some people on here who write Christian books, right? But try to keep religion out of posts and anything that could be determined as offensive. I have a friend who is sitting in the same room as myself right now, and she is Hindu, so I know how it feels to be on vigilance for offensive things. My friend cannot eat most meat for religious reasons, so whenever she comes over we have to be careful we don't serve beef. My friend has had unfortunate experiences when others have disrespected her Hinduism, so I know what can happen to people when they aren't given the proper respect.  In summary, be careful what you post on kidpub (like always) and treat religious values with the same respect as you would treat your own religion. Never make assumptions without the proper prior knowledge, and never, ever, post something that could ever be perceived as offensive to anyone unless it is clearly and knowledgeably explained as either a joke (well, you shouldn't be joking about this) or an important part of a story (i.e: something a character thinks). Wow, that was really really long. If anybody uses this, you can certainly shorten it down!

Posted by missmaple on Fri, 11/05/2010 - 08:45
Actually I thought about

Actually I thought about this yesterday and couldn't decide whether to add it or not. I agree, it's not a good idea to bring religion into a diverse and world-wide website. And no, you don't seem old-fashioned, just having good vocabulary, lol. ^_^ Thanks~

~*Serenity*~

Posted by Serenity on Fri, 11/05/2010 - 08:54
I have two things for the

I have two things for the guide(actually more of one…)! One is, if you see a comment that might start a fight, don’t click the reply button for that comment, but a comment near it and make sure you address it to the correct person, because then the person who posted the comment can edit it, and hopefully will. The second one is a question. WHY IS THE CLOWN STORY ALWAYS ON THE MOST POPULAR LIST!?!?!??!?! I have absolutely no idea…

Posted by L. S. Tredom on Fri, 11/05/2010 - 14:31
Thanks, added your tip! And

Thanks, added your tip! And lol, my theory is because it's a "myth buster" kind of thing. It's interesting, and turned out to be so well known to the point it's a "KidPub classic" people like to read again time to time.

~*Serenity*~

Posted by Ashley on Sat, 11/06/2010 - 22:37
OMG- this will be extremely

OMG- this will be extremely helpful to newbies and any KP member in general! Thanks for putting all the time and effort into this awesome handbook! :D

"Wumbo! You know, I wumbo, you wumbo. He, she, me, WUMBO! Womboed! Wumboing! Wumbology, the study of wumbo! It's first grade Spongebob!" -Patrick Star

Posted by Sis on Fri, 11/05/2010 - 18:00
Thank you!!

Thank you!! ^_^

~*Serenity*~

This is BEYOND epic

This is BEYOND epic Ashley!!! AWESOME job!!!!!

~*Kay*~

"because you're so strong. Even when you're scared you either have the sense not to let anyone detect it from your voice or you just can't be normal." ~ Tormented Heart (Grace Relyea)

Posted by Kay on Mon, 11/08/2010 - 12:46
I love you so much right

I love you so much right now... You actually wrote a helpful one. Kudos.

Instant human. Just add caffeine.

Posted by Cal on Wed, 11/10/2010 - 08:08
Thanks so much! You've

Thanks so much! You've helped lots!

Posted by Hamda on Wed, 11/10/2010 - 14:21
So awesome. I really like

So awesome. I really like this! You mind if I print it out, as a KP guide? Lol, I might not now, but I might later! This is really awesome, how long did it take you, Ashley?

I know. It's weird. But don't blame me, I'm too awesome to be weird :) Teehee...

Posted by Lucky on Mon, 11/15/2010 - 23:20
Thanks!! :D Sure, I don't

Thanks!! :D Sure, I don't mind! And it took me half a week of brainstorming and I spent 2 days putting it together. Glad you like it!

~*Serenity*~

Posted by Ashley on Mon, 11/29/2010 - 12:44
I loved this guide! I joined

I loved this guide! I joined KP a few months ago, and this is helping a lot! Thank you! :D

-Rory-

Posted by Rory on Sat, 11/20/2010 - 07:08
Thanks, Ashley!  This is

Thanks, Ashley!  This is great!

*Grins impishly* The magic is alive!

Posted by Alex (A. Tedford) on Sat, 01/08/2011 - 10:25
THAT IS LIKE THE BEST GUIDE

THAT IS LIKE THE BEST GUIDE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XD

ps.I am totally faving it.

Posted by Melody on Mon, 01/17/2011 - 12:56
I tried the tinypic.com

I tried the tinypic.com thing, but it doesn't work!!!!! I need help!!!!!!!!!!!

Got comments? Pay them back and bring them forth... the balance has been restored. Write not fight! Read and comment! Make an author feel good and write a book review for them!

Posted by moonbeam (stella) on Wed, 02/02/2011 - 00:00
this is awesome...really

this is awesome...really helpful! (and i've been on KP a year) X D

you must be really good with computers, and you posted this stuff so organized..it was very user-friendly!

i like how you give examples for your ideas. like in the one on humor, or cover-making!

Here's the key to living a long and happy life: always hit the shiny blocks.~ my sister while playing super Mario.

Posted by Loony Lovegood on Sat, 02/05/2011 - 09:26
This is the first thing I've

This is the first thing I've ever faved!!!

Awesome, Awesom, and Brilliant!

This is the best thing that I've seeen since I've gotten on KP.

Oh, and this isn't really related to KP, but how do you get on KidMud..... Do you know???

Thank You!!! ;P

"If you don't know where you're going, any road wil get you there."

~Lewis Carroll

Posted by AJstar20 on Sat, 02/19/2011 - 13:48
You need to request an

You need to request an account here: http://www.kidpub.com/kidmud-join

The real way to prank call Batman! :D

Team Perry!

Posted by L. S. Tredom on Sat, 02/19/2011 - 20:31
Thank You!!!!! ;P "If you

Thank You!!!!! ;P

"If you dont know where you're going, any road will get you there." ~Lewis Carroll

Posted by AJstar20 (SP JUDGE) on Sun, 02/20/2011 - 15:52
You have absolutely NO idea

You have absolutely NO idea as to how much this guide has helped me...=-)

I am STRONG because I am weak. I am BEAUTIFUL because I know my flaws. I am a LOVER because I'm a fighter. I am FEARLESS because I have been afraid. I am WISE because I have been foolish...and I can LAUGH because I've known sadness.--Anonymous

Posted by Nicole on Sun, 03/27/2011 - 19:49
Fantastic guide! You are an

Fantastic guide! You are an expert on KP!!!

http://www.kidpub.com/book-page-or-chapter/black-rose-prologue-parts-1-and-2-1854107049 ~The link to my story that i am writing. Please click on it and give me some CC!!!

Posted by MaggieMay on Sat, 07/23/2011 - 10:32
I have a question!!! How do

I have a question!!! How do you check your favourites list? Please, please, please answer somebody!!!!!

~Avneet~

Put this on your bio if you name inaminate objects. (Where's Frankfurd??? FRANKFURD!!!!! Frankfurd the leaf, you scared me half to death!!)

Posted by Snowy Owl (Avneet) on Thu, 12/29/2011 - 11:27
If you scroll down to the

If you scroll down to the very bottom of the home page, there are a bunch of little boxes. The bottom right one has all your favorites in it.

--

Elementalist or Sorcerer? That's for YOU to decide...:D.

Posted by Pokey on Thu, 12/29/2011 - 15:25
Thank You! ~Avneet~ Put this

Thank You!

~Avneet~

Posted by AshQuill (Avneet) on Thu, 12/29/2011 - 16:08
LOVE

LOVE THIS@Q@@@@@@@@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

. "Join the Random Club: http://www.kidpub.com/story/please-join-rc-1931113403 Maggie: Saying Epicletastic a day keepes maggie from stalking you I WAS THE ONE WHO HIT THE TITAN LORD IN THE EYE WITH A BLUE PLASTIC HAIRBRUSH!

Posted by Girl who wants ... on Tue, 01/10/2012 - 15:28
OMG this is so helpful!!!!

OMG this is so helpful!!!! thx so much 4 posting!!!!heart

-klare :):):):)

Posted by Klare on Fri, 05/18/2012 - 15:33
Oh god that's my

Oh god that's my comment....how humiliating.

"You're gone away but, you'll come back someday" -Sleigh Bells, Comeback Kid

Posted by Reign of Bitter... on Wed, 05/14/2014 - 18:58
This is awesomeness! :D It's

This is awesomeness! :D It's been really helpful. Do you know if there is a way to change something from a story to a book page or chapter?

Posted by cheezemziez on Mon, 05/21/2012 - 16:22
I think you'd have to delete

I think you'd have to delete the story and put it on the "Book Page or Chapter" section.  As far as I'm concerned, I don't think that there's another way.

~ Avneet ~

--

~Three words: Be. A. Man.~ Me ^_^

Posted by avbhabra on Mon, 05/21/2012 - 18:13
Ok, thanks.

Ok, thanks.

Posted by cheezemziez on Tue, 05/22/2012 - 11:41
Just for all of you new

Just for all of you new members who joined in 2011 and beyond, the comment box has been changed to this look: [sorry for the low-quality...]

So don't be too surprised/confused if you see it. :)

Oh, and the little house button is the same thing as the add picture button.

Posted by TheAshWolf on Wed, 05/23/2012 - 01:04
I can't really remember what

I can't really remember what the old commenting box looked like. ._. I remember when it disappeared, though.

Kiwara. 25,000 posts
Team Perry!
"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Posted by (LST) Dark Lord... on Wed, 05/23/2012 - 11:19
The old one is up there, in

The old one is up there, in the Guide. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The planet Ectroi is waiting for you...

Posted by TheAshWolf on Wed, 05/23/2012 - 11:57
Yeah, I looked at that

Yeah, I looked at that before I commented. :P It doesn't really look familiar. o_o

Kiwara. 25,000 posts
Team Perry!

Posted by (LST) Dark Lord... on Wed, 05/23/2012 - 12:36
I have a question... On my

I have a question... On my computer, some of the typing space on the right side of the "Book Page or Chapter" or "Comment" or any of those things is cut off. I think it may just be my computer, but do you know what it is or what it is or how to fix it? Thanks!

~ Avneet ~

--

~Three words: Be. A. Man.~ Me ^_^

Posted by Terra Scriptor on Wed, 05/23/2012 - 19:52
O_o I'm no computer expert,

O_o I'm no computer expert, but I think it's just your computer. Try zooming out of the web page a little. (CTRL and the minus key. If that doesn't work, go up to "View," then "Zoom" and "Zoom out."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The planet Ectroi is waiting for you...

Posted by TheAshWolf on Wed, 05/23/2012 - 20:57
I just ried it, after you

I just ried it, after you suggested it to me, but I think you're right, it's the computer. I zoomed out and I could see everything but it was too small. Well, At least I know the problem now. Thanks!

~ Avneet ~

--

~Three words: Be. A. Man.~ Me ^_^

Posted by Terra Scriptor on Thu, 05/24/2012 - 16:39
That was sooooooooooooo

That was sooooooooooooo amazing!!!!!!!!!! Congrats on making such a huge post with so many replies!!! I really loved it!!!

This is the edge. :D In a place previously unmapped, a deserted town stands silently, void of any life...or does it? In the depths of an attic, people hide from the outside. It's time to escape Wasp Hill Valley.

Posted by Epicness (Laura) on Mon, 08/13/2012 - 20:58
This is very helpful! I'm

This is very helpful! I'm considering starting making people websites on weebly.com (Link --> http://www.kidpub.com/book-page-or-chapter/want-me-make-you-website-1734130199#comment-306668) and now I can organize myself. And that thing where you put each of your customer orders on a different MS Word document was really smart. I faved this guide - I will need it a lot in the future...probably. smiley

Please read and enter my horror contest! http://www.kidpub.com/book-page-or-chapter/horror-contest-please-enter-1...

Posted by AbbeyBominable on Tue, 10/30/2012 - 17:22
Thanks! ^_^ I like your

Thanks! ^_^ I like your idea, best of luck and I'm glad the guide helped!

Posted by Ashley on Wed, 10/31/2012 - 10:56
This is really good! It

This is really good! It really helps! :]

Posted by Will on Mon, 04/08/2013 - 15:48
=D This is great for newbies

=D

This is great for newbies like me. Lots of great tips about how to do stuff, cyberbullying, and more!

''Do you want to go to jail?'' ''No! NOT again!!'' (From Sam & Cat--#TheBritBrats)

Posted by Ava on Sun, 09/22/2013 - 10:48
Awesome! You posted this in

Awesome! You posted this in 2010 and its still getting read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Yasmin on Wed, 06/25/2014 - 13:47