/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ Changeling | KidPub Press //
Changeling

Changeling

Posted December 29th, 2018 by JJKingInc

by hector-mae{HawkEye}
in sane. Enough said.

December 29th, 2018

Heyhey, folks!

It's been a hot minute since I got on KP, but hey, what better time than now.

I wrote this thing a while ago, found it in my Google Drive, and thought I might as well post it. Sorry the formatting got all weird.

Let me know what you think! Is it too confusing?

Stay zesty,

Hawkeye

The fae cannot be trusted.

*

‘The fae cannot be trusted,’ the grandfather said to the bright eyes that surrounded his creaking chair. One pair brighter than the rest. Dimmer, too. Brighter and dimmer and sharpened by what seemed to be a life that couldn’t have been lived yet. The grandfather shivered, but said nothing more.

She couldn’t know.

*

‘The fae cannot be trusted,’ the medicine woman said, speaking over the chaos of the market with unshakable confidence. Her wiry hands scraped the rough skin of the herb into her pot, her knife glinting every so slightly.

‘What are you making, goodwife?’ a lilting voice asked.

The medicine woman’s knife dropped to the floor with a clatter, but she was frozen in place.

‘Forgive me, goodie. Here-- let me help.’ A thin hand reached towards the knife, but the medicine woman snatched it up with desperate haste. The hand recoiled, the girl confused.

‘I do not need your help. Run along,’ the medicine woman said stiffly. The girl nodded, dumb. The medicine woman did not meet her eyes.

She knew better than to owe the girl a favor.

Even if she didn’t know.  

A favor owed was a favor owed, regardless of recognition.

*

‘The fae cannot be trusted,’ said the older sister, calling to her brothers. The boys whooped and hollered, racing into the forest anyway.

The ferns underfoot were dappled with filtered sunlight, dancing and shifting with every breath of wind through the canopy. The air hung thick with loam and pollen. The boys ran, laughing, through the trees until--

One stopped, staring.

His face was pale.

She was there, lying in the clearing, fast asleep.

Around her was a ring of white-capped mushrooms, treacherous mushrooms, mushrooms that grew when delicate feet danced heavy with hatred.

The boy remembered his sister’s warning and ran away with panicked abandon.

*

‘The fae cannot be trusted,’  the mother thought, stroking the girl’s hair.

She was sobbing, her shoulders shaking.

‘Why do they run?’ she whimpered, curling her back into a tighter curve.

‘Children are unthinking,’ the mother responded, sympathy warming her chest.

But then she felt the girl’s hair, downy and soft, thick and light, shifting colors when seen at different angles--

The mother shivered and moved her leg to avoid a falling tear.

She couldn’t know.

The girl could never know.

*

‘The fae cannot be trusted,’ the girl whispered, shaking, unable to break away from the gaze of those eyes, her eyes, staring back in the glass.

The eyes were cold.

The eyes were warm.

They were bright and dim and far too old.

She could not look away.

She remembered the grandfather’s shiver when he saw her among the children. The medicine woman refusing to let her help her-- refusing to owe a favor. The buzzing afternoon when she woke up in the circle of mushrooms, her hair braided with ivy by someone she did not remember, her lips slick with drinks she had forgotten. The day her mother could not look her in the face.

A single word appeared in her mind’s eye, offering a hated explanation.

Changeling.

The girl stared into her own betraying eyes, her lip trembling, her knuckles white with tension. She recited the words she had been taught, time and time again, spoken more than her own name had been.‘The fae cannot be trusted. The fae cannot be trusted. I cannot be--’

The words burned her mouth. A single tear, caught on her eyelash, broke free and tumbled to the ground.

The girl screamed and the glass shattered into thousands of pieces.

See more stories by hector-mae{HawkEye}
That was so cool!  A

That was so cool!  A chilling, intriguing read.  This stuff is amazing!

________________________________

Click me and see what happens. Nothing did. That's that.

Ron: The spiders... they want me to tap dance. And I don't wanna tap dance!

Harry: You tell those spiders Ron.

Because Harry Potter never gets old.

Posted by indygoes (kayla) on Sun, 12/30/2018 - 08:34
Love it, do

Love it, do continue!

crescendo

Posted by [[facetious]] on Wed, 01/02/2019 - 12:20