/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ Elementaltisim Incident 1: The World Turned Upside-Down (Part Four) | KidPub Press //
Elementaltisim Incident 1: The World Turned Upside-Down (Part Four)

Posted April 20th, 2017 by CatKeeper

by CatKeeper (Julia)
in Costa Rica (Yeah, right)

April 20th, 2017

Black. I couldn’t see anything. Where was I? Then some sort of film started. It was in black and white. No color. Why?

“Hey,” I called out to the darkness. “What’s with the black-and-white? Are you a cheapo?”

Looking back, that seemed like the world’s most ridiculous question. If there actually was someone listening, I probably should’ve asked who they were and what this was.

But the film, the focus was… me. I was with some people, and they looked like me. One of them looked about as old as I was then, and I was really little. I sat on a swing as my parents pushed me, and I went flying off the swing, catching a frisbee that the girl who was my age threw.

When I touched the ground, the frisbee disintegrated and the sky turned dark. I wasn’t sure what was happening, I stood there confused. I didn’t understand why my parents and sister (I think) were backing away from me afraid. Then I saw the frisbee in my hand and tried to comfort my parent, but they only backed away. Some people in gray suits took me away, I cried, soon I was in a laboratory. A worker stuck a needle in my arm. Then the film went dark.

The dark world around me started to fade and get lighter. I realized just then that I had no memory of my early years. It was just, one day I was 7 and I had Death powers. And I lived my life. That was it. I never thought much of before that.

I woke up with Indigo, Willow, and Cedar crouched over me. They were saying things my brain couldn’t process yet. All I knew was that my head really, really hurt.

When things cleared up, someone shouted, “She’s awake!” I groaned as voices filled my head. Then my brain could figure out things other than pain again. I remembered that film. Who were those people? And what did they have to do with anything?

“What happened? Are you OK?” Willow squatted next to me.

“I-I-” I wasn’t sure whether to tell them about the film or not. “All I remember is just falling over and something’s-” I remembered what had triggered the black-out now. “Something’s in danger back in the regular world.”

“Do you know what? Actually, scratch that, take it slow. How many fingers am I holding up?” Cedar held up his hand.

“5?” I guessed. Everything was so blurry.

“2,” Cedar said. “Geez. Are there any plants at all here?”

“No,” I croaked. “Any plant that comes here instantly dies,”

“That’s a problem,” Indigo said.

“Wait then, would it work if I grew my own and sustained it?”

“That could work,” I said. I was willing to try anything if it made my head stop hurting.

“One moment.” Cedar formed a ball of green magic in his hands, and it slowly grew as Cedar shaped it. Soon the ball became a small, magic Wintergreen Tree. The tree grew and grew and soon was large enough for Cedar to use the branches to make a sort of juice.

“Here,” he said, and handed me the bottle. As he did, however, he stopped touching the tree, and it withered and turned to black dust. “Whoops,” he said.

I tipped the bottle to my lips and drank like it was the last drink on earth. The pain in my head instantly subsided. “Whoa,” I said, impressed. “What’d you do to that?”

“I, um, gave it a little touch of added strength.”

“A LITTLE? That felt like you put a superhero’s DNA in that.”

“So, what’s wrong in the human’s world? Do you know?” Willow asked.

“No,” I said. “But something’s wrong. We’ve got to get back there,”

“How?” Indigo queried. “Being from the Dragons Dimension and all, Willow and I don’t really have much background in transporting. What’s the human world like anyway?”

“It’s where the humans live, with no magic. We’ve got a few areas in each state disguised with magic that humans feel compelled to stay away from. I met Cedar in one of those areas.”

Cedar nodded in agreement. “In their world, no one knows about our existence. They live entirely without magic, and get around by letting strange, fast machines eat them and then the machines take them where they need to go. The only method of their transport that we understand is their People Movers at the World of Disney. The World of Disney is the only place where humans can see us, because there’s so many strange people we fit right in.”

“Wow. Sounds weird.” Indigo was shocked.

“Definite agreement here.” Willow raised her hand.

“We’ve got to go, now,” I struggled to my feet. “Let’s go,”

We headed to the front room in my house. With a quick snap, the portal to my mudroom appeared. “Everyone, brace yourselves,” I said before jumping through.

I heard a POP! and I was back in my mudroom. I quickly jumped out of the way before Cedar appeared exactly where I had been standing. I yanked him away, just before Willow and Indigo crushed him.

“Whoo, that was much easier than the first time,” Cedar said. He then took off the Dark Crystal.

“That’s because you’re getting used to World/Dimension jumping,” I said. “It gets easier as you go.”

“OK, where’s the danger? How’d you sense it, anyway?” Willow asked.

“Probably because a lot of people died all at once. Whenever someone dies, I blink twice. If you look carefully you’ll catch it, but if like 20 people die, I’ll get a headache. The more people die, the harder it is to bear.”

“Oh, almost the same thing happens to me!” Cedar said. “When a forest is being chopped down, I can hear the trees screaming and it hurts my ears. If plants are on fire, I get really hot and burns appear.”

“Same with dragons for me,” Willow said.

“Nothing like that happens to me,” Indigo said. “Probably because Electricity doesn’t really get hurt or die often. But who knows? Maybe there’s a way for it to get hurt and no one knows it quite yet.”

Suddenly I felt like someone took an axe to my head. “Ow,” I said. “We’ve got to hurry, more people are dying.” There was no time to worry about pain.

I transformed into a Miasma cloud and began to fly. The grass below me started to move and ripple, and I looked down to see Cedar using the grass to carry him. To my left was Indigo as a thundercloud, and on my right was an Air Dragon who could only of been Willow.

Soon we reached a town, and found out the source of all the deaths. A Water had lost control and was destroying the town. Whoever it was had come from the woods next to the city, one of the protected areas.

I also found out why the headaches were coming in bursts. The Water was in a giant water statue, the Water in the center. Large as it was, it was slow and had no stamina. It would swipe at a building, and need to pause before crushing another.

“It’s that thing!” I shouted. “Should we attack?”

I wasn’t sure, but Willow was. She transformed in air to a Trash Dragon, and began shooting bursts of trash at the Water. She’s polluting it, I realized. It won’t be able to see, and what it can’t see, it can’t hit. That’s smart.

I decided to help Willow with her plan. I flew until I was a few feet away from Willow and above her. Then I morphed back into human form, and landed directly on Willow’s back. I stood up and blasted Shadow balls at its eyes, turning them dark and murky.

Indigo flew in to help, and shocked its chest, causing it to convulse where the shocks hit the person. Cedar joined in with a bang by causing a large vine to shoot straight down through the Water Giant, splitting it in half. The person inside was half exposed, and I could now see it was a boy. He slid inside one half and reformed the half that was missing. But his Water Giant was smaller now.

Cedar, I think we need more of those, all through it,” I yelled. “We’ll distract it!”

And distract it we did. Indigo zapped it all over, making it think she was on one side and quickly flying to the other. I took over its shadow and punched it from the inside. And Willow kept polluting it so it couldn’t see.

Cedar soon got the hang of the giant vines and cut its legs off, making it half the size each time. Finally the Water Giant wasn’t really a Water Giant anymore. It was more like a Slightly Large Water Person. Finally Cedar was able to send a vine directly into it, grabbing the kid inside and yanking him out. He fell unconscious, and the Water Person disintegrated.

I retreated, not caring if anyone had seen any of us. Willow and Indigo were behind me. Cedar was already over in the protected woods, lowering the boy to the ground.

“Is everyone OK?” I asked, not sure if anyone had suffered any injuries.

“I’m fine,” Willow said.

“All good here,” Cedar added.

“A little tired, but fine,” Indigo said.

“OK, what’s with this kid now?” I wondered.

“He seems alright, but he’s fast asleep and won’t be waking up for a couple hours.” Cedar explained. “I’ll go get something to ease pain,” he dashed off.

“We should take shifts. We need sleep, three can sleep while one watches the boy,” Indigo suggested.

“That’s a good idea. I’ll watch first,” I offered. “You two go ahead and sleep.”

“Fine,” Willow said, and headed a bit away from the boy. She turned into a Twig Dragon, spat twigs in a pyramid on the ground, turned into a Fire Dragon and lit the twigs on fire. It blazed up, and settled as a small blaze to keep warm. Willow then transformed into a Dwarf Dragon (they’re pretty small), and fell asleep. Indigo followed suit.

I sat down a couple inches from the boy, noticing his features. Long-ish gray-blue hair, scaly fins attached to his arms, blue-green clothes, and a type of scythe strapped to his back that looked like a fin. I gently pulled it off. Better safe then sorry, I figured.

This was when Cedar came back. “Hey,” I said. “Go ahead and sleep if you want, I’m taking first watch.”

“I’ll sleep in a second.” Cedar walked over to the boy, fists clenched with leaves. He crushed one, and wrapped it in another. He clapped the wrap (meaning he clapped with it in his hands), and it turned into a juice. Cedar poured this down the boy’s throat.

I noticed the effects of the potion right away. The boy’s face went from looking troubled and serious to relaxed and happy.

Cedar then went over to the fire, formed a blanket out of leaves, and passed out on the ground. It was then I wondered how long I should stay awake before waking someone else up for a shift. I decided on an hour, and waited.

See more stories by CatKeeper (Julia)