/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ Garrett's Goodbye | KidPub Press //
Garrett's Goodbye

Garrett's Goodbye

Posted January 2nd, 2020 by Garrett

by garrett
in

January 2nd, 2020

kidpub,

KidPub has been a part of my life since December of 2012, nearly eight years ago.  At first, it was a magical place where I could share my writing with people my age, get feedback, and hopefully (one day) publish my own book.  I never did end up using KidPub Press, which I am thankful for now, looking back.  I can't imagine the dread I would feel looking at one of my old books forever for sale on Amazon.  KP taught me a lot about my writing and myself.  Because of the people on this website, I learned about the LGBTQ+ community, diversity in books, and how to take constructive criticism in a respectful and understanding way.

It makes me sad to look at KP how it is now, because I can't help but remember how it was back in its glory days.  Back when every day the NSP would be full of fresh stories and chapters.  Back when people would end up resposting chapters of their books that were washed away in the constantly growing New Stories Page.  Back when the NES was hundreds of thousands of words long.  And the AN would refresh every few hours.  And the WB never stopped being updated with new threads.  It was a time of excitement and wonder and happiness, tinged with the golden glow of childhood.  But now, as we have all grown up, that time is gone.

KP is not the same place it used to be.  And that is okay.  All of us who were once super active don't have much time to spend hours venting on the EVT.  We've gotten busier as we've gotten older.  I am, little by little, deleting over 100 chapters of my book series (Daughter of Light, Scars of the Sea) because soon I am going to start querying agents with the first book's most recent draft.  It's a sad process, because each time I hit the delete button I feel like I'm cutting a piece of my memory out.  A little shred of what made this place so special.

My book series is the most important thing I've ever written.  I've been working on it, consistently, since 2015.  I wrote the first two books, scrapped them, and completely rewrote the first from nothing but a new outline.  I've put countless hours and over 430,000 words into this series.  And one of hte main reasons I have stuck with it for so long is because being able to post the chapters on KP as I wrote them enabled me to have an active "following".  Each comment gave me inspiration.  And I loved every second of it.  I loved sharing my work.

In 2012, when I was only eleven years old and desperately needed an outlet to share my writing, KidPub appeared like an answered prayer.  A small, tight-knit community of peers solely devoted to writing stories for each other to read.  I never knew that it would turn out to be a place that now holds some of my favorite childhood memories.  A place where I would write my first book.  And my second.  A place that would hold my heart forever.

So this is technically my goodbye, because I don't see myself posting on here ever again.  I might pop in every few months and see if there's been a renaissance, but that will be the extent of my activity on KidPub from now on.

I do have a few thanks to give out.  My first goes to all of the friends that I met on KidPub.  Max and Snow stand out the most.  Max (who I emailed and direct messaged and snapchatted for years, who taught me so much about my writing and myself), and Snow (who was the first real fan I ever had of my book series.  And the most devoted.  To her, I will forever, as long as I live, be grateful.). And my last thanks is for Perry.  Thank you, Perry, for creating this magical safe haven of a website for all of the dreamers like me who have spent years of their lives dreaming of seeing their name on a published book.  Thank you for putting countless hours of your time into making this little writing world for us.  If I ever get the chance to meet you, I'll be sure to give you the biggest hug.

I think that's it.  I love you KidPub.

With all my heart,

Garrett

(p.s. Perry, if you do happen to see this, please email me (garrettcurbow@gmail.com) and let me know if there is an easier way that you could delete all of the chapters of THE FROST OF THE FIRE and SCARS OF THE SEA off Kidpub.  It would save me hours of painstaking clicking and deleting.)

and also (p.p.s. Snow, if you read this, let me know (garrettcurbow@gmail.com) whether you would like to read the most rewritten, edited draft of Daughter of Light.  I don't know if you woud be interested, but if you are, I would love to know what you think of it.)

See more stories by garrett
goodbye garette! it was nice

goodbye garette! it was nice knowing you. 

also, a belated happy new year to you.

Posted by Syafai on Thu, 01/02/2020 - 15:51
Sorry to see you go! Best of

Sorry to see you go! Best of luck on your writing adventures, and if you ever want another beta reader feel free to hmu on instagram, we're in a couple kp group chats together!

"Champion, I can take a beating, I'll rise again." - Barns Courtney

Posted by Unclevre on Thu, 01/09/2020 - 23:15
Remember!! - everyone will

Remember!! - everyone will be here for you

Posted by Fire Dragon 74 on Wed, 04/08/2020 - 20:06