/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ Halloween Days, Chapter 1 | KidPub Press //
Halloween Days, Chapter 1

Halloween Days, Chapter 1

Posted September 27th, 2021 by ElizieAngelina

September 27th, 2021

Riley looked outside, just waiting for the bell to ring. "Come on, come on!" Those words echoed in her head as her impatience grew bigger and bigger. Math was the last class of the day, and 

she always hated that. (Unless they were having a big assembly, that is) Then, luckily for Riley, the bell rang and they were free to run to the bus stop.

Backpack carried on her hand, she raced towards the bus stop, forgetting the "good-bye" to her teacher. She breathed in the crisp fall air, for it was the first day of October. "Spectacular," Riley

muttered. All of a sudden, her friend, Agnes, ran up. "Hey, Riley!" Agnes called out to Riley.  "Hey, Agnes," Riley replied. "I'm just waiting for the bus. You should go to yours..."

Agnes tapped her head. "Well, actually, I was moved to your bus. I don't know why exactly, but I'm super excited to be with you!" Riley felt a twinge of excitement spark in her heart. Her friend

would be with her on the bus. Aces!

"Oh my god, you are?" Agnes nodded. Just at that moment, the bus pulled up, Bus 143. The bus driver, Mr. Franco, waved to Riley, but inspected Agnes, and said, "Hold up, I don't think I've

seen you before. Wait, you're Agnes Bellbrook, right?" Agnes nodded again. He said, "Okay! I've saved a spot for you in the 4th row with Riley. Have fun, girls!"

They walked (more like ran) into the fourth row. Riley put down her flower-adorned backpack, and Agnes put down hers. "It just feels...so weird to be on a bus I'm not used to," Agnes said.

Riley nodded and replied, "Yeah. This bus was very unlike my bus in elementary school. But in Rome, do as the Romans do." Agnes seemed confused and said, "What's that quote?"

Riley said, "It's basically the fancy way of saying, "get used to your new surroundings. I liked it." Agnes replied, "Oh, okay."

They chattered the entire bus ride, back to the bus stop.

By the time Riley got off the bus, she was nearly hysterical from laughing that Mr. Franco almost had to tell them, "No horseplay." Still giggling, she said, "Man, Agnes. You made me...hehe...

laugh so hard. See you tomorrow." Agnes waved to Riley as she got in her parent's car. Riley's mother was waiting for her. "Hi, honey! How was school?" Riley put down her backpack again

and said, "It's great. Hey, mom...I also know what I'll be for Halloween."

But her mother's face fell. "Well, about that...we haven't been getting much pay on our job this month. You might not even get a costume..."

Riley's face fell.

"B-but what? I was so positive!"

"I'm sorry, honey..."

Riley felt so ashamed and sad. She didn't talk for the rest of the car trip, and was barely hungry when it came to dinner. She didn't go on her phone.

For the rest of the day, she felt worse than a dog on a short leash.

I love it!! Can't wait for

I love it!! Can't wait for chapter 2

----------------------------

"You must tell yourself 'no matter how hard it is, or how hard it gets, I'm going to make it.'.  - Les Brown

Polly

Posted by Polly on Mon, 09/27/2021 - 19:03