/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ How To: Deal with internet trolls/cyberbullies | KidPub Press //
How To: Deal with internet trolls/cyberbullies

Posted February 12th, 2017 by Zelda

by PaperRe
in a perpetual predicament

February 12th, 2017

How To Deal with Cyberbullies.

Hey, so, most of you are extremely aware of the bout of cyberbullying KP had recently. Between Service-Cringy-Plotless and Miss Mousie, we had an irksome couple of weeks, but we pulled through. Now, for future reference, here's a handful of tips on dealing with Cyberbullies that yours truly has gathered from 3-ish years of waddling through trolls and flame wars, googling legal shit, and listening to presentations in school.

Now, there a different levels of cyberbullies, i'll be dividing them into four levels. I'll explain each level, and give some tips for fighting back.

Level 1: Basic Trolls.
A perfect example of this is Miss Mousie. Basic trolls literally just type fake, obnoxious messages to any person unfortunate enough to meet them. The only logic I can find behind their behavior is that they are attention seekers who lack the brain power and motivation to build their own following. I'm also 80% convinced that at least some Basic Trolls are text spam bots.

How to Fight Back:
- ignore them. They probably won't progress to anything besides what they're already doing.
- Block them, if possible.
- Tell them, firmly, to back off.
- Assault them with your intellect. They won't know how to respond.
- My personal favorite: Troll them back.

Level 2: Nasty Trolls.
These trolls have the almost uncanny ability to turn literally anything into something sexual. It is disturbing. They also have a penchant for calling everyone 'gay'. Two or more Nasty Trolls can gather and commence 'doing' nasty things. Nasty Trolls also frequent Flame Wars.

How to Fight Back:
- Report them.
- Do. Not. Engage.
- Block them, if possible.
- Ignore them, they may move on.
- They ignore intellect.
- Trolling them back does not work. I tried.
- I repeat; do not engage a Nasty Troll. That will only result in awkward conversation and the sudden compulsion to bleach your eyeballs. Although sometimes it's kind of funny.

Level 3: Cyberbully.
This is Service Asshole's level. Cyberbullies are slightly more intelligent than Nasty Trolls, at least they seem to have escaped the 3rd Freudian psychosexual stage (albeit some seem to have come out of it with raging Oedipus complexes). Cyberbullies are fond of writing long-winded messages, and like to use words off of SAT lists that they clearly don't know the meaning of. They have bloated internet id's (a fancy way of saying they're narcissists), and like to brag about things they quite certainly didn't accomplish, when confronted about this, they weave even more unbelievable lies. I'm not sure if that's just their way of baiting people, or if they're actually stupid enough to believe they're good at lying...
Warning: Cyberbullies can escalate. They are mean, they sling insults, spread gossip, and can be damaging.

Tips:
- Screenshot any incriminating messages.
- If you engage them, don't do anything like threaten them with physical damage or blatantly insult them. Avoiding this is important for if the situation escalates, because if you decide to contact the police then stuff like that can get you in trouble as well as the troll.
- Threaten them with the police. ( tip: IP addresses can be traced. Police do it all the time).
- Report them.
- Block them, if possible.
- Research minor laws to threaten them with. Ex: Encouraging suicide can be considered a crime punishable by prison.

Level 4: Dangerous Cyberbully.
This is, like, Amanda Todd level of cyberbullying. Dangerous Cyberbullies can be cyberstalkers, they may threaten you physically, they may blackmail you, they may do any number of things. Dangerous Cyberbullies are not joking around like the first 3 levels, and must. Be. Taken. Seriously.

If you encounter a Dangerous Cyberbully:
- screenshot and print off everything they say.
- Contact your local police.
- Do not engage.
- Spread the word to your family and friends, so that they are aware of the Dangerous Cyberbully and can lend a hand protecting both themselves and you from any damage the Dangerous Cyberbully might cause.

See more stories by PaperRe
Thanks for this, Re, it's

Thanks for this, Re, it's very helpful!

____________________________________________________________

Posted by *Snow* Baruch on Sun, 02/12/2017 - 18:38
ok, so, i was looking at

ok, so, i was looking at some kidpuber's video today.

Some guy told her that she is a waste of a human being.

What level is that?

Posted by Matemap Tarazet... on Mon, 02/13/2017 - 20:11
Probs level 3 Unless it was

Probs level 3
Unless it was in a totally nonsensical manner, with like, blabbering about the death of a hamster and random caps lock or something like that, then it's level 1.

i am not here to comply with your opinions, your beliefs on how the world should function. i'm here to challenge them. - MRK

Posted by Nephthys Re on Mon, 02/13/2017 - 23:06
ya. Ok. but, he also told

ya. Ok. but, he also told her to kill herself.

Posted by Matemap Tarazet... on Tue, 02/14/2017 - 08:30
level 3.  what's this guy's

level 3. 

what's this guy's screenname? i'm suddenly feeling stabby.

Posted by Nephthys Re on Tue, 02/14/2017 - 10:57
his name was ServicePlot

his name was ServicePlot

Posted by waverunner on Tue, 02/14/2017 - 13:03
Oh, yes, i'm familiar with

Oh, yes, i'm familiar with him. He is actually the one referenced for an example of level 3 (although I called him Service Asshole instead of ServicePlot)

Posted by Nephthys Re on Tue, 02/14/2017 - 18:39
I always thought that

I always thought that stalking down someones address was cyberbullying to...

Posted by Grace on Tue, 02/14/2017 - 17:42
It depends, if they want to

It depends, if they want to hurt you then yeah. But either way I don't want someone to stalk my address, they should just ask.

_____________________________________________________________

<(QuartzMaster A.K.A. Osaid)> Read my books!!!! :D

Posted by Quartz on Tue, 02/14/2017 - 17:45
It is, it's just more

It is, it's just more threatening then the rest of what I had down for cyberbullying, which is why I put it in the next level. For this post, cyberbullying is something that stays on screen, and the level after that is when things have escalated to effect the real world. 

Posted by Nephthys Re on Tue, 02/14/2017 - 18:42
Yeah, I agree with

Yeah, I agree with you. 

Posted by Quartz on Tue, 02/14/2017 - 18:50
( tip: IP addresses can be

( tip: IP addresses can be traced. Police do it all the time).

Posted by Grace on Wed, 02/15/2017 - 17:43
Thanks for the

Thanks for the tip.

Posted by Quartz on Wed, 02/15/2017 - 18:14
Whoa, thanks a lot for

Whoa, thanks a lot for this!

TG: just dont tell your parents
GC: WH4T 4R3 P4R3NTS
TG: thats just about the saddest thing i ever heard get said

Posted by Alicia on Sun, 02/19/2017 - 19:40
( tip: IP addresses can be

isen't that stalking?

Posted by Grace on Sun, 02/26/2017 - 01:02
yes it is. sorry, i should

yes it is.

sorry, i should have been more clear; Police have the ability to trace IP addresses, thus removing the screen of anonymity from a troll/cyberbully. removed of their percieved saftey, or threatened with the removal of ther percieved saftey, trolls/cyberbullies may lose confidence and back off. 

Posted by Nephthys Re on Sun, 02/26/2017 - 19:42