/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ How To Write | KidPub Press //
How To Write

How To Write

Posted January 7th, 2019 by Werty

by indygoes (kayla)
in the small area where the corgis burn the lettuce

January 7th, 2019

A/N: This is a un little thing I made for class.  You all know how to write like this, so I'm not excpecting most of you to learn anything here.  This is simply for fun.  Enjoy!

If you are reading this, you want to learn how to write stories and poems and essays that will blow your teacher’s mind.  Of course, this is no easy feat.  Writing takes time, practice, and skill.  But you can get there, and I will show you how.  Just trust me, don’t get impatient, and believe in yourself.  Because this isn’t going to be a merry-go-round, no. This will be a roller coaster.  

I want you to think about any practice you might have, and what grade you are in.  If you are entirely new to writing, like a kindergartener, get out. I only take third grade and up, thanks.  You may have noticed there I wrote “third” instead of “3rd”. That looks more professional. And yes, the period is supposed to go outside of the quotations.  I now want you to decide what you want to write on. For me, I get more inspiration writing on a computer where I can fix my mistakes easier, write faster, and my hands not get tired as fast, but I have a friend that writes with her hand just fine, and she does amazing.

If you have a computer, create a new document on Microsoft Word, Google Docs, or whatever else you might use, and get yourself a font besides Arial.  Arial is tiring and unprofessional and although some people allow it I personally can’t stand it. Now, if you are in the third grade range I mentioned earlier, or just don’t know this, you want to start your first paragraph with a tab.  The tab button is normally right next to the letter Q on the keyboard. Another tip: capitalize that Q. Professional.

Pick something to write about.  Let’s just say you’re doing a creative writing project, for starters.  I’m not here to tell you how to set up a story, pick a plot, and all that stuff; I’m here to show you how to write professionally.  So, let’s say you have an idea. Capitalize your first letter, and let it spill out for a bit. Now that you are done, you can go back and add a couple of commas.  You add a comma when you finish one idea and move on to the next. Look back at this paper, and you will see a ton of commas.

Keep on making your sentences until you finish your first paragraph.  After that, hit the enter button. Depending on what device you use, there may or may not be a new tab already waiting for you.  If that’s the case, don’t worry about your tab. If not, than just add another tab.

You may be thinking, “hey!  I’m not on a computer! Can we skip to my part, please?”  There isn’t much difference, really. You just have to manually tab.  A tab is basically four space bars put together. And all enter really does is go to the next line. You have nothing to worry about, and from here on out things should make more sense.

Now that you are on your second paragraph, think whether you are going to use dialog or not.  Hey third graders, I feel your confusion. I was there once too. Dialog is just people talking.  Remember to always put your dialog into quotation marks, “so it looks like this.” Only one person can talk at a time in a paragraph, besides some exceptions.  So if you want to have a conversation, it’s going to turn out something like this.

“Hi, Steve!” Said Margret, sliding over on the couch to make room for her cousin.

“Hello, Margret.”  Steve seemed stressed.

“What’s wrong?” Margret inquired.

Now, no one expects you to be able to come up with this off the top of your head.  I’ve spent years practicing this, so I can. In fact, I can write an entire paragraph for this essay in under three minutes.  

Back to the story, continue on, and make sure to use any grammar skills you might know.  Another professional tip; be wordy. This can work on any type of writing assignment. As long as you are wordy, and try to pull out your sentences as long as physically possible, that will give you credit with your teachers, and you will get an overall higher grade.  If you don’t really know enough to be super wordy, I’d recommend Thesaurus.com. They provide synonyms; other ways of saying a word, antonyms; opposites for that word; and definitions.

Using all my tips, looking back at my paper and noticing things there that I didn’t cover, and following the guidelines for whatever paper you’re writing, you have yourself some pretty good work.  With practice, patience, and wonderful people to help you along the way, you’ll get there. One last thing for me to say: remember to site your sources.

See more stories by indygoes (kayla)
This is helpful for people

This is helpful for people who don't write often! It should be cite* your sources though. (The original word is citation)
Although I must say that it's not ideal to use a thesaurus in EVERY situation. If you feel like your writing is getting repetitive and boring, but generally it's not an always situation.
The thing with a thesaurus is that it gives you a synonym, not a completely interchangeable word. Sometimes a it is better to use one word in a given context, and another in a different one. To use the words interchangeably but wrongly would either result in 1: people who Do know how to use the word find it weird, or 2: it was actually a really obscure word and no one knows what it means, therefore not understanding your text.
This is something to think about! Besides this, though, it was well written :)

Posted by echo (*Jill*) on Mon, 01/07/2019 - 23:48