/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ The Kidpub Mentorship Program! Come One, Come All! | KidPub Press //
The Kidpub Mentorship Program! Come One, Come All!

Posted July 14th, 2017 by Zelda

by Schismsre
in a perpetual predicament

July 17th, 2017

Welcome to the main page for Kidpub Mentorship Program!

Whether you've been on Kidpub for 1 month or 10 years, this Mentorship Program could hold something for you. This is the place where all Kidpubbers will hopefully band together to bring Kidpub out of the Dark Ages. Over the past few months/years there have been several efforts to lift Kidpub from it's current state, or in other words, to resurrect it. I believe that the Mentorship Program will have a positive impact on these efforts, because it is designed to unify the members of Kidpub and to encourage new/younger members in the same way many of us older members were encourage when we joined.

How It Works:

How will the Kidpub Mentorship Program accomplish it's goals? By making use of the two most common resources on Kidpub; new faces, and experienced users. The older members of the KP family will pair up with the new kids to both show them the ropes, encourage them, and hopefully instill in them the love we all share for KP!

Mentors

Who is eligable?

• Anybody with at least 1 year of experience on KP is eligiable to be a Mentor. However it is recommended that you have two or three years under you belt.
  • It is recommended that you be familiar and comfortable with KP slang.
  • It is recommended that you be familiar and comfortable with most, if not all, of Kidpub's functions.

Snow, Esther, Elliot, Elias, Lena, APO, Jill, you are all eligible to become Mentors!

What are a mentor's responsibilities?

As a mentor you will be paired with a younger member of KP, one who has less experience with both using KP, and with writing. You're job will be to support and encourage your mentee's growth both on Kidpub, and in their writing as much as possible. Some of the requirements for mentoring include;

• Informing your Mentee of the rules.
  • Correcting your Mentee in the event that they break the rules. For instance, if they posted a clog post, then it would be your job to comment reminding them what a clog is, how to take the post down, and where they could put the post instead. Please be as understanding as possible when correcting your Mentee, as it is likely that they were unaware, or had forgetten, the applicable rule.
  • Supporting and encouraging your Mentee! This entails leaving comments and/or CC on the posts they make. It can also extend to other things, for instance, if they are trying to make conversation on the A/N, you could converse with them, this is not a requirement, but it would certainly be helpful.
  • Showing your Mentee the ropes! Tell them things like where and what the W/B is. Define common KP slang.

The most important part will, of course, be the support and encourage. It is vital to a healthy, vivacious KP community that no member, either old or young, feels left-out. Plus, this will hopefully lead to a sharp decline in the comment drought, and an incline in posts per day as more Mentor's comment, and more Mentee's recognize that there is an incentive to post.

Mentees

Who is eligible?

• Anybody with less than 2 years of experience on Kidpub.

Sumayyah, Quartzmaster, Brooke, Sally, you are all eligible to become Mentees!

What are a mentee's responsibities?

As a mentee you will be paired with an older member of KP, one who has more experience with boy using KP, and with writing. The requirments for being a mentee are quite simple, all we ask is two things. One, that you refrain from being a dunderhead to your Mentor. You're totally allowed to respectfully defend your point, for instance if you don't believe a post you made was a clog, then say so. Please also feel free to ask as many questions as you want. The second one isn't a requirement so much as it's a tentative request; your Mentor will be working to help you, so every once in a while if you could help them back by leaving a comment on one of their posts, that would be much appreciated.

And that's all there is to it!

Basic Ground Rules for Everyone

1. You may request a specific Mentor/Mentee
  2. Mentees may request a different Mentor than the one they have been assigned, so long as a mutual agreement has been reached between the Mentor and Mentee.
  3. Mentors may decline to accept a Mentee.
  4. Mentors may take on multiple Mentees if they feel they are capable of doing so.
  5. Mentees may be transferred away from a Mentor if it is determined that said Mentor is neglecting said Mentee.
  6. Mentors must meet all applicable requirements. They must meet the Support and Encourage requirement at least once every two weeks.
  7. Mentees may not be rude soggy lampshades to their Mentors, if a Mentee is caught doing so, they will be expelled from the mentorship program and allowed to re-submit a form only after a full month has passed.

Forms

To sign up to be either a Mentor or a Mentee, please fill out the form below, and submit it in the comments.

Mentor [  ] or Mentee [  ]

Name:

Username/Screenname:

Years of experience on KP:

Years of experience writing:

What genre(s) do you prefer to write/read?:

Are you willing to have your Mentor/Mentee contact you outside of Kidpub?:

What KP House are you in?:

Your form will be looked over and either accepted or delcined. After that you will be paired with someone based on similar genre interests, years of experience, and of course, any special requests. You will be informed of both of these things via a replies to your form submission.

Alright, KP, let's do this!

The Mentorship Program in Relationship to the KP Houses

As most of you are probably aware, there are many different projects that have been created in an effort to pull KP from the edge of the grave. It has been brought to my attention by Master Ena that a good way to assign pairs would be to assign people of the same house to each other.

This may also be a good way to bring more attention to the KP Houses (and vice versa) which would in turn hopefully help to boost the health of KP.

If you are a Mentee who does not currently have a house, you will be given the option of either joining your house beforehand and being sorted partially based on that, or you may default to whichever house your assigned mentor is in.

If you are a Mentor who does not currently have a house, you may join the house of your choice, or, if your Mentee has a house then you may default to that house.

Of course, every effort will be made to ensure that members of the same houses end up paired together in order to prevent rivalry within pairs, however everyone is free to pick their own houses and it is entirely possible that your Mentor/Mentee will be in a different house than you.

Current Mentors:

• Re (Zelda)
  • Justin/Authormind (SuperJ)
  • Zero/Ena/King the Namefluid F*** (SilverMoon)
  • Luna (FrostBittenKitten)
  • Grace/Snow (Gracithe1andonly)
  • Norah (Steampunk)

Current Mentees:

• Alem (alemye10)
  • Sumayyah (Syafai)
  • Brooke (mischeif)

Suggestions for improvement are welcome! This is meant to be a community effort please throw in your two cents.

See more stories by Schismsre
I signed up! This is cool

I signed up! This is cool and creative. ;)

__________
“There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you.”
- Beatrix Potter

Posted by Hey_its_Alem! on Fri, 07/14/2017 - 12:39
Also consider when pairing--

Also consider when pairing-- KP houses. Since I hope to get those back up and running

{i want to prove that we aren't smoldering in this small world.}

Posted by King Explosion ... on Fri, 07/14/2017 - 12:43
yes! some people signing up

yes! some people signing up might not have a house yet though,,

"You can't be grey." - SilverSnowLeopard, 'Ignite'

Posted by Schismsre on Fri, 07/14/2017 - 12:55
Ayyyeee, great job Re. When

Ayyyeee, great job Re. When this kicks off, KP will hopefully have a healthy balance of comments, activity, direction, etc. ;) 

Posted by SuperJ on Fri, 07/14/2017 - 15:44
Then perhaps they can just

Then perhaps they can just join the house their mentor is in

Posted by King Explosion ... on Fri, 07/14/2017 - 15:54
Name:

Name: Grace

Username/Screenname: Gracithe1andonly/Snow

Years of experience on KP: 3 almost 4

Years of experience writing: Making stuff up? For as long as I can remember. Actually writing decently? Since seventh grade, about three years ago. 

What genre(s) do you prefer to write/read?: Fantasy, realistic fiction, anything that tries to get at a truth through story.

Are you willing to have your Mentor/Mentee contact you outside of Kidpub?: Yes. 

____________________________________________________________

Posted by *Snow* Songs in... on Fri, 07/14/2017 - 17:22
Name:Brooke Username or

Name:Brooke

Username or screename: Wildcat

Years of experience on kp: None

Years of experience writing : Two-three

What genre[s] do you perfer to write/read: Adventure, fiction history.

Are you willing to have your mento?mentee contact you outside of kidpub?: No.

Posted by wildcat on Sat, 07/15/2017 - 06:25
accepted, if you could just

accepted,

if you could just let me know what KP House you're in? It'll make pairing you with someone much easier, :3

Posted by Schismsre on Mon, 07/17/2017 - 16:08
Sky _________________________

Sky

Posted by *Snow* Songs in... on Tue, 07/18/2017 - 16:53
accepted~   "You can't be

accepted~

I've been on this site for

I've been on this site for upwards of two years, but for the most part have just been a ghost. I took down the three stories I've posted and only post an occasional comment on the main story page. Not really sure where that puts me using the mentor/mentor criteria. Any thoughts?

Posted by Sachi on Tue, 07/18/2017 - 13:49
if you know your way around

if you know your way around KP/the rules and you're willing to put in the time/effort of guiding a Mentee then you should sign up for being a Mentor,

but if you are not totally comfortable with KP and you would like more support concerning it + your writing then sign up to be a Mentee.

There's seems to be a lot of grey area between Mentor and Mentee, idrk how to clear it up :s

Posted by Schismsre on Tue, 07/18/2017 - 15:11
Mentee  Name:

Mentee 

Name: Sachi

Username/Screenname: moeuhane/DragonLady

Years of experience on KP: 2 years

Years of experience writing: 3 years producing decent material, but I've been writing since I was five so ten years total

What genre(s) do you prefer to write/read?: fantasy, realistic fiction, romance

Are you willing to have your Mentor/Mentee contact you outside of Kidpub?: yes

What KP House are you in?: sea

Posted by DragonLady on Mon, 07/24/2017 - 12:03
Quick question. :) when is

Quick question. :) when is this actually like starting-staring?
__________
- Beatrix Potter

Posted by @lem*on on Tue, 07/25/2017 - 10:38
uuuuummmmmmm, possibly

uuuuummmmmmm, possibly today?

Posted by Schismsre on Tue, 07/25/2017 - 15:34
Okay. __________ “There is

Okay.
__________
- Beatrix Potter

Posted by @lem*on on Tue, 07/25/2017 - 15:53