/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ KidPub Renaissance Project | KidPub Press //
KidPub Renaissance Project

KidPub Renaissance Project

Posted April 19th, 2017 by SilverMoon

by mAd ArTisT
in sasodei hell can u believe

April 19th, 2017

I shall be referring to this as rproject. Crossposted on the WB.

!! WIP || CHECK BACK FOR UPDATES !!

Once upon a time, there was a Golden Age. Following that was the Taco Era, then the Jan14 Era, then the Middle Ages, and now we've come to the Dark Ages. 

But we must not let the Dark Ages be the end of KidPubbian society. Some of us have expressed hopes for a Renaissance, but that Renaissance is no closer to fruition than it was three months ago. 

We're going to have to work really, really hard to get the true Renaissance we desire. It will take a hell of a lot of work and time, but if you care for KidPub, we ALL will have to work for it.

Why should you work for it?

True, there are myriad other writing sites out there. I have accounts on Protagonize, TeenInk, and Figment myself. But they are mostly inactive and empty, because they are not the same. KidPub is different from those in that it is a small, close-knit community, or at least that's what it should be. Those other sites are workplaces, public spaces, social hubs. KidPub is home. KidPub is our community. If we're a small town with an aging population and not a bustling city, we'd sure as hell better be the sort of bucolic arcadia where everyone knows each other and the harvest is always successful and the scenery is always beautiful. We have to be a community where everyone loves and supports ALL of their fellow members, like a clan. We can't be an organization akin to JUNGLE with huge numbers that spreads its roots throughout the world, so we'd better be a group of comrades like family, damnit.

Okay, yeah, that sounds nice, but how is it possible?

Well, we need to firstly provide motivation for people to be active on KidPub. Enthusiasm breeds enthusiasm, productivity breeds productivity. Don't even tell me that's not true because I watched Deku training in bnha and consequentially wanted to burn down a building, get in shape, and take over the world. Guys, we live in times where teens are defined by apathy, and at least on KidPub, we can't let that continue. We can't be passive and just sit here, we have to WORK to improve our community even if it does take ten months of training from hell. Metaphorically. So how is it possible? Cliche though it may be, the answer is through a shitton of hard work.

What are our problems?

• The Comment Problem

People don't comment on other people's writing. If no one pays attention to the stuff on the NSP, the writing we're all here for, then what's the point? Out of the 23 posts on the NSP, 15 have comments. While that is above 50%, it is not all of them, and it SHOULD be all of them. No one should feel like their work isn't getting the attention it deserves by being on KidPub. Furthermore, comments aren't just about quantity, they're about QUALITY. I have always been a stickler for quality, because quality is what allows life to continue. We need more comments with constructive criticism, and we need more comments actually, well, commenting on the content of the story/poem/post. This is not a callout, nor am I saying that anyone is doing something wrong. But instead of a "wow! i loved this chapter", wouldn't it be nice to get a "Wow, I really liked the insight we get into Ix's character in this chapter. I can't wait to find out what's going on with the NG! What are their motives? Plus, Lucien was so cute this chapter. Inanna and Kira are so salty, but also so goals lol". (This comment references Jill and I's cowrite Soulbound.) Instead of a "loved this!!", wouldn't it be nice to get a "I loved the rhythm and metaphor in this poem. I particularly liked how you could hear the emotion in your writing." Instead of a "I liked it", wouldn't it be nice to get a "I love the characters, and this is very promising. Some CC: the pacing is off, and the structure may need some work." After all, KidPub is for improving your writing, isn't it?

• The Writing Drought

There are only 2-3 posts a day, and the NSP includes only 23 posts. This is largely why it feels like KidPub is dying-- a lack of what we came here for. Remember when there was basically a whole new page of the NSP each day? Everyone wrote and shared. Now it seems most people linger and chatter, but people don't write. Furthermore, people hang around on the WB without being active on the mainsite, and this doesn't help activity at all. There are 15 authors currently on the NSP, which is more than I expected, but I also know there are more of us than that. Another reason for the writing drought is that some of the older authors here feel their works are too mature for KidPub. Which brings us to my next point:

• The Age Gap

There are two distinct age groups on KidPub: the younger, lighter-and-softer members, and the older, darker-and-edgier members. The younger members don't like the cursing or mature topics that older members post, when they should be learning something from their seniors. The older members feel like their writing is too mature for a "kids" site, they feel like they're getting too old. They also feel like the younger members are immature and don't interact with them when they should be giving guidance to their juniors. The groups don't interact with each other, which really hinders the whole "close-knit, supportive community" thing. 

• The Absence of Perry

Although we all love and admire our leader and creator, these days it almost seems as though he's abandoned us. Like he doesn't care about KidPub anymore. He's not here to address issues such as the reader counts on posts, the more stories by this author pages, and the long-broken Google search. He's not here to promote KidPub on the wider web. He's not here to help improve our home. 

What steps can we take?

We all need to make an effort to comment on EVERYTHING on the NSP. I know this can be tedious, and I know most of you have lives. But if you're still here, it's because you claim to care, and if you really care, you will support each and every author in our community. So what is the first step each of you can take RIGHT NOW to help improve KidPub? You can go and comment on as many posts as you can! Remember, try to give quality comments with opinions and constructive criticism, if applicable. "I don't have time", you say? If you care, you make time. If you don't, then why are you here?

Do you have writing that you just haven't posted here? You should post it! If you think it is "too mature", I don't think you should let that stop you from posting. Many people here will still appreciate it. Maybe include content warnings so younger members aren't exposed to things they don't want to be exposed to? If you don't post it here because you don't seem to get comments-- well, post it! We are trying to fix the comment problem. If you like, you could request comments on this thread, and though I can't speak for anyone else, I, at least, will comment on your work. Are you stuck in teenage apathy or school business? Do you have permanent writer's block? There are lots of problems that make you not able to write. As far as being busy goes, if you care about it, you make time. If you have writer's block, perhaps future contests and prompt batches can help you out? Also, if you are scared of your writing being crap-- don't be. Writers write. So what if your writing isn't that great? The more the write, the better you get. All of you active members, see if you have any writing lying around that you can post this month! If not, maybe make it a goal to write a little something before May?

How else can I help?

• Join in on or read the KP Chronicle newspaper
  • Vote on my polls KP Census March (even tho it should be April wtf @ me) and 2017 yearbook?
  • Check out my New Art Thread in the Randomize forum on WB
  • Check out the KidPub Houses idea.
  • Spread the word! Direct people to this or the WB thread.

See more stories by mAd ArTisT
Favouriting... also thinking

Favouriting... also thinking of a story to write on KP..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that” - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posted by hufflepuff *sy* on Wed, 04/19/2017 - 16:24
† My dog has four legs

† My dog has four legs †

I agree with you 100 percent. Thanks for motivating me to continue posting. I hope Perry sees this.

Posted by Lelin Da Flame† on Wed, 04/19/2017 - 16:57
Now that you mention it, I

Now that you mention it, I have seen less of Perry....And have been wanting that search bar fixed for God knows how long.

Basically the only thing keeping me here still is the community. I'll try my best to comment and support but no promises on the writing aspect except for the NES (which I love the most) and a bit of poetry on here. My projects over on Wattpad need to finish before I bring that poetry here, though.

*Sigh* Positive outlook, guys.

Posted by AuthorMind(Justin) on Wed, 04/19/2017 - 23:22
I like the idea of bringing

I like the idea of bringing KidPub back to life! I'm going to be posting a series I'm working on sometime later, and comment when I have the time :)

"Never give up on your dreams."

Posted by WindOfTheMaple ... on Thu, 04/20/2017 - 12:05
Ena, I've changed my

Ena, I've changed my signature! I hope this helps spread the word... especially when I'm commenting on everything :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Join us and help revive KidPub! The first place to look: https://www.kidpub.com/story/kidpub-renaissance-project-1953160812

Posted by WindOfTheMaple ... on Thu, 04/20/2017 - 14:23
Thanks so much!! :) {i want

Thanks so much!! :)

{i want to prove that we aren't smoldering in this small world.}

Posted by Red Zero on Thu, 04/20/2017 - 14:31
This means a lot to me. I am

This means a lot to me. I am one of those younger members who dislike the cursing because if i see it my parents will take me off the site and that would break my heart

Posted by Huntress Fade (... on Thu, 04/20/2017 - 15:19
? I never said to decrease

? I never said to decrease cursing. I cursed several times in this post, even.

Posted by Red Zero on Thu, 04/20/2017 - 17:04
I HATE cursing, but it's not

I HATE cursing, but it's not as bad on a screen or paper, but I go INSANE when I hear it in real life. 

_____________________________________________________________

<(QuartzMaster A.K.A. Osaid)> Read my books!!!! :D

Posted by qU@Rt2M@2teR on Thu, 04/20/2017 - 17:10
Hn. {i want to prove that

Hn.

Posted by Red Zero on Thu, 04/20/2017 - 18:30
this comment is mostly just

this comment is mostly just a bookmark but hey while i'm here i might as well say that this is really good idea, keep up the hard work.

oh, and i also have a character who goes by Ix occasionally, short for Ixion. *character twins* *kind of*

i am not here to comply with your opinions, your beliefs on how the world should function. i'm here to challenge them. - MRK

Posted by IfYouSeekAmy on Thu, 04/20/2017 - 15:40
we'd sure as hell better be

we'd sure as hell better be the sort of bucolic arcadia where everyone knows each other and the harvest is always successful and the scenery is always beautiful. lol I know that from expirience.

Anyway, I really liked this post. I think it's really important to try and make KidPub feel more alive. That's part of the reason why I had left for so long, was because I felt like the community I saw and loved when I first joined had just fallen apart. I would really like to help Kidpub get back on it's feet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You can't live in constant fear of what others may think of you or of making mistakes. You may only have one chance - take it! If you don't, you'll end up wishing you had! Live in the moment, because the past is gone an

Posted by EnderKitten(Renee) on Sat, 04/22/2017 - 12:33
Very Well said   Lavinia,

Very Well said

Lavinia, House Land Member I am hosting and judging a writing contest! Wanna join? Click Here For More Info ---> https://www.kidpub.com/story/ls-contest-3200160984

Posted by Lavinia on Thu, 05/18/2017 - 03:33